A Turn of Events

Stuck in the Friendzone

 

To: Choi Chaeyeon

From: Kim Sohyun

HEY.. omg. Have you seen kim myungsoo these days? Did he get like 1000000x more handsome or WHAT.

 

Chaeyeon doubled over in laughter and slapped her knee comically as she tried to read out Sohyun’s text.

“You..actually..bumped..into her?” She tried to make out a sentence between fits of seizure-like laughter.

“Yeah, but I tried to get out of the market as quickly as I can.” He smiled sheepishly. “She tried to give me her phone number as well.”

Chaeyeon’s jaw dropped approximately three feet. “NO WAY! Really?!”

“It’s a miracle what a haircut can do.” The two friends slurped the smoothies Myungsoo made.

 

 

 

 

 

Throughout the next month or so Chaeyeon and Myungsoo constantly slept over at each other’s houses often scouring magazines and looking at various websites trying to catch up with the newest trends and planning his new style.

“These notebooks we filled could be turned into a freaking book.” Chaeyeon tried to lift the heavy pile of notebooks that had been written all over within the past month.

Post-its, little stickies, and cutouts from magazines and pictures from the internet were sticking out at different angles from the teetering notebooks.

“Ready to go shopping?” Chaeyeon waved the large wad of cash the two had saved up from getting jobs at the local Starbucks. Aside from the occasional burn and especially picky customer, Starbucks was actually a really nice place to work at.

“Yeah, I guess.” Myungsoo stared at the money and swallowed the lump in his throat, not able to digest the fact that the two to three grand was going to be spent on clothes and accessories instead of more useful things like books.

Chaeyeon smiled, knowing how hard it was for her friend. She hefted her purse and led the way to the car.

The two belted out notes to “Catch Me” on the way to the mall. “Catch me noooooooooow!”

 

 

 

 

“Oh my god. I would never want to be a girl. How do you even CARRY this?!” Myungsoo not-so-gracefully dropped the many bags worth of clothes and shoes and all the other things Chaeyeon picked out from at least fifteen different stores.

She on the other hand held two light trays of burgers and fries. “That’s what boyfriends are for Myungsoo-ah.”

“That’s what I am huh?” He smirked playfully down at his friend.

Chaeyeon reddened unexpectedly and quickly looked down. “As if…” She murmured.

“Sit! I bet you’re even more tired in your heels.” The slightly awkward situation was quickly forgotten.

In one of the stores, she made Myungsoo walk out wearing the newly purchased outfit. Without the usual sweat pants and chess club sweater, he attracted attention from girls at nearby tables.

He was dressed in dark jeans with a plaid shirt pulled up to the elbows with leather bracelets and a beanie that he said “ruined his hair”.

“My my, isn’t that guy hot?”

“Hm..? What? OH. You’re totally right.”

“I hope he’s at our school when we become freshmen next year.”

“Aigoo… why aren’t there good looking guys like him at my school?”

“Looks like he has a girlfriend though… what a pity.”

All sorts of loudly whispered comments floated around Chaeyeon’s and Myungsoo’s table. He seemed oblivious to them though as he enthusiastically yammered on about how the clothes he was wearing didn’t feel half as bad as he thought they would.

“I should have worn this stuff years ago! Stylish and comfortable! Who would have known right?” Myungsoo smile stretched from cheek to cheek.

“I told you.” Chaeyeon quietly nibbled on a fry as she tried to catch more of what other girls around their age were thinking about the new Myungsoo.

“Looks like the girls around here are all interested in you.” She spoke in a hushed voice.

“Really?” He seemed stumped at what to do or say. It was obviously his first at even being liked by someone either than Chaeyeon or teachers or his family.

Myungsoo sat stiff as a board for the rest of their meal barely making a peep or moving a finger.

“Well, we only have around two hundred dollars left. Is there anything you think we missed?” She quickly counted out the remaining cash.

“I don’t think so. We got the shirts, jackets, pants, socks, shoes, bracelets, hats, and the other things.” His face suddenly brightened up. “Unless you’re willing to allow me to get a smart phone!”

Chaeyeon blinked. “Is your contract due yet?”

“It has been due for like a whole extra year. Come on! I’m dying to get the Samsung Galaxy S3!” He jumped up and sprinted to dump their trash while lifting the earlier troublesome bags without a complaint.

They sped to the nearest electronics store, the only store Myungsoo led the way to.

Arrangements were made with his mom through the phone and finally the guy working at the store handed over a blue Galaxy S3.

Chaeyeon had never seen him so excited all day. He tapped around the whole screen trying to get all the new functions down and setting up his accounts.

A girl wearing the shortest shorts and tightest shirt Chaeyeon had ever seen in her life stepped in front of the two and cleared . “Um, here.” The ty looking girl dropped a sticky note onto the hand not occupied by his new toy. “Call me sometimes.” She said the last part with a seducing wink and catwalked away to an equally ty girl by the front of the store.

“What was that?! Oh my gosh did she just give you her number?! I’m a genius.” Chaeyeon praised herself as she mentally guffawed at Myungsoo’s shocked expression.

“Did that just happen or am I hallucinating?” He said woozily, clutching the tiny piece of paper as if it was the one thing keeping him alive.

“That happened all right. But Myungsoo, I wouldn’t date her much less call her if I were you. I don’t know if you noticed but she was dressed like a total stripper.” Chaeyeon glared at the two girls who were still staring with predatory eyes at Myungsoo until they finally walked away.

“Wow. I don’t even think the popular boys at Gangnam High got confessed to like this. You really got good looking.” She praised her hard work by looking at the masterpiece from head to toe.

She dragged the drooling, unblinking flower boy from the electronics store. They left the mall just in time to see a cute looking girl throwing hearts at Myungsoo. 

 


Hi guys~! My belated story update is due to the fact that I got sick. Like terribly sick. As in emergency room sick. I'm pretty much 80-90% okay now so ^^ 

Sorry about the random one month later thing... I wanted to speed up the looking for clothes process and get onto the more interesting things that will happen later on in the story so I hope you understand!