TWO

One More Chance

 

BOM

 

 

 

 

“I’m pregnant, Bommie,” she said as she showed me the pregnancy kit with two red lines.

 

 

 

 

I stared at the thing for at least five minutes. Not believing that this is happening to my Park sister. I blinked my eyes, hoping that the two lines would merge and will become one.

 

 

 

 

I shifted my eyes towards my friend and saw in her eyes that she’s really scared. Well, who wouldn’t be scared when you see two red lines in a pregnancy test kit just right after you broke up with your boyfriend? Worst, Jiyong was never Dara’s boyfriend. They only had an affair, not a relationship with comment. It's not serious at all, as least for Jiyong.

 

 

 

 

When it is slowly sinking inside my brain, I mustered up a disbelieving look at Dara. Then I shook my head as if denying something. And then, anger started boiling up inside of me. Not for Dara, and also not for Jiyong, but for the stupidity of them both.

 

 

 

 

“Yah! How could you be so careless, huh? How can you let this one happen?” I said as I reached out and held her shoulders. Then I slightly shook her as if I'm putting some sense into her brain.

 

 

 

 

“I don’t know, Bommie-ah. Omo, how could I drag an innocent life in my complicated life?” Dara said as she buried her head in her hands as I heard her soft sobs.

 

 

 

 

The anger I was feeling inside slowly vanished when I see her crumbling down again slowly in front of me. I wanted to shout at her, tell her that I was right the first time. That she shouldn’t have agreed to that stupid affair with that stupid jerk. I have known from the start that she will be a mess when it ends. But no, my Park sister needs me right now.

 

 

 

 

I held her arms and made her look up at me. I was on the verge of tears seeing how broken she looks like right now. I pulled her into a tight hug and let her cry on my shoulders. That’s what best friends are supposed to do, right? Lend their shoulders to lean on. Be strong for your best friend when she is in the state of weakness.

 

 

 

 

I caressed her back gently while whispering soothing words. The only sound that can be heard inside her room is her broken sobs as well as my whisperings.

 

 

 

 

“What are you planning to do now, Dara-yah?” I asked after she managed to stop her sobs.

 

 

 

 

“I’m going to keep the baby,” she said, determination written all over her face.

 

 

 

 

“I know you would say that,” I said as I tapped her back. “But, are you going to tell Jiyong about the baby?”

 

 

 

 

That question made her pull back from our hug to look at me straight in the eye. I can sadness and pain in her eyes that made me want to break down and cry. Where's the jolly and energetic Dara-yah that we all love?

 

 

 

 

“You know I can’t do that, Bom,” she said as she shook her head.

 

 

 

 

“But he has the right to know, Dara-yah. He’s the father of your baby,”

 

 

 

 

“I don’t want him to think that I’m trapping him with me with this baby. I know how his mind works, Bommie. And in fact, he’s still young. I’m sure he prefers playing around some more than being a father,” Dara said as she stood up from the bed and went towards her vanity table. She sat at the chair and looked at her reflection in the mirror.

 

 

 

 

I heaved a deep sigh. She’s right. I think it would be best for her and for her baby not to let Jiyong know about the baby yet. I know it’s not right but what can Dara do? Jiyong is not the type of guy to settle with just one girl. And I think marriage and babies are still far away in his mind.

 

 

 

 

“Now what?” I asked.

 

 

 

 

This time, it was Dara’s turn to sigh. “I’m going to YG sajangnim tomorrow and talk to him about me leaving 2NE1.”

 

 

 

 

“What?!” I stood up from the bed and looked at her through the mirror.

 

 

 

 

“You can’t expect me to dance our ‘Fire’ dance steps with my stomach bulging and all,” Dara tried to joke at her situation. I just looked at her disbelievingly, as if she is saying something that my brain cannot comprehend.

 

 

 

 

“You can’t do that, Dara. You still have a contract with YG,” I said as I shook my head.

 

 

 

 

“I’ll just pay for the remaining time in my contract. I need to be away from here, Bommie-ah,” she said as she bowed her head and played with her fingers.

 

 

 

 

“You can stay, Dara. The girls and I will help you raise your child,” I said, desperate to make her change her mind about leaving.

 

 

 

 

I heard her sigh as she stood up from the chair and faced me. I can clearly visualize what I look like right now. Eyebrows furrowed, pouted lips and tears on the brim of my eye.

 

 

 

 

“I need to do this, Bommie.. I need to do this for myself and for my baby,” she said as she pulled me into a hug. The moment I felt her arms around me is the moment I let my tears fall down from my eyes.

 

 

 

 

Knowing that she will leave us is enough to make me cry a bucket of tears. Dara is like a tight rope that held the four of us bonded. What will happen to us now?

 

 

 

 

“Aigoooooo. This crybaby. You’re the one who is supposed to comfort me. I'm the miserable one here, remember?” I can feel that she is smiling while saying those things.

 

 

 

 

I continued sobbing in her shoulders with my arms tightly wrapped around my Park sister.

 

 

 

 

“How could you leave me? I hate you,” I mumbled in between sobs. I’m not sure if she understands me but I don’t care. All I care about is that I really hate that stupid jerk that is the reason why Dara is leaving us. I should’ve killed him when I had the chance.

 

 

 

 

“And I love you too, Bommie,” she said that made me cling to her tighter.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

____________________________________

 

 

 

DARA

 

 

 

 

I woke up with a start. I smiled sadly remembering how Bom bawl her eyes out when she heard that I was planning to leave. That ahjumma, really.... I shook my head and stood up from my bed.

 

 

 

 

I faced my mirror and smiled. I should be smiling often nowadays. I’m sure my baby won’t like it if her mum will be frowning every second of every day. My baby..... It sounded pleasant to my ears. I placed my hands on top of my stomach and smiled.

 

 

 

 

This day, I would be going to YG sajangnim to tell him my plans. Me leaving 2NE1. Well, Bom was exaggerating crying her eyes out for nothing. I was just leaving 2NE1, I'm not leaving Korea. I giggled while shaking my head.

 

 

 

 

I glanced one more time at the mirror and smiled at myself. I felt the smile on my face is slowly vanishing because of the thought that I’m leaving my sisters. But I forced the smile to stay. I need to stay strong for my baby.

 

 

 

 

I turned around and made my way towards the bathroom. I still have two more hours to prepare before I take my leave to go to the YG building.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The moment I opened my door, Chaerin and Minzy immediately ran towards me as if their asses was on fire. Then when they got to me, they wrapped their arms around me and started sobbing.

 

 

 

 

I glanced at Bom’s direction and she had this apologetic look on her face. Ah, trust Bom to keep that one a secret.... I smiled at her before turning my attention again at the two maknaes clinging to me like I’m their mother.

 

 

 

 

“Aigoooooo, these kids.... I’m not going anywhere...,” I said while giggling. After hearing that, Bom’s eye widens as she sprinted her way towards me.

 

 

 

 

“You changed your mind?” Bom asked. The two maknaes held their heads up while their arms still circling my body.

 

 

 

 

“Aniyo,” I shook my head.

 

 

 

 

“I don't understand, unnie,” Minzy asked with her eyebrows forming a straight line.

 

 

 

 

“I’m leaving 2NE1, that's what I said last night,” I said as I glared at Bom then continued, “...but I’m not leaving Korea.”

 

 

 

 

 

“So, you mean we can still visit you, unnie?” Chaerin asked. I nodded my head eagerly. The three sighed in relief as the two maknaes let go of me. I smiled warmly at them before going towards the kitchen.

 

 

 

 

“Girls, I have one favor to ask you....” I reached out for a glass of water. “Please don’t say a word to anyone about me being pregnant, please?” I begged as I turn around and faced them.

 

 

 

 

It was Minzy who first nodded her head. I looked at Bom as she slowly bobbed her head up and down. But it took Chaerin a while before agreeing to my favor.

 

 

 

 

“Unnie, I think Jiyong oppa has the right to know,” she said.

 

 

 

 

“I know, Chaerinnie. But.......,” I sighed. How can I explain it to her? “Uhmmmm... Jiyong is not yet ready for this kind of responsibility..”

 

 

 

 

“I think unnie is right, Chaerin unnie....,” Minzy said hesitantly and looked at me through her eyelashes.

 

 

 

 

I smiled sadly at them before standing up from my seat, “I’ll get going now, girls. I still have to talk to sajangnim,” I said as I waved goodbye to the girls.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

________________________________________________

 

 

 

JIYONG

 

 

 

 

I don’t know what is happening in my members but they acts kind of cold towards me. Especially Seungri…. He’s not the same maknae who keeps on bugging me to bring him with me. He seems cold to me ever since that night three months ago…

 

 

 

“Are you okay, Ji?” I heard Kiko asked me from behind. I turned around and smiled seeing her face. Ah, she is really a looker. I chuckled to myself as I stood up and wrapped my arms around her waist.

 

 

 

“Yeah…. I was just wondering why my members act different around me,” I said as I buried my head in the crook of her shoulders.

 

 

 

“Have you done something really bad lately? Like something they didn’t want you to do?” she asked that made me think of it thoroughly.

 

 

 

Hmmmmm.. I’m not sure but I think it was because of my affair with Dara. They were all against it when they first heard about it. Saying that I should not continue with it because if gets uglier, things would be worst. They really treat Dara as their sister but what can I do? I was really attracted to her.

 

 

 

But just as how my other affairs went, I need to stop it with her.

 

 

 

“Jiyong?” there was someone knocking on my room. I recognized my manager’s voice so I immediately let Kiko sit on the bed while I went towards the door and opened it.

 

 

“Can I have a word with you? The rest of the boys are waiting at the living room,” hyung said and before I could reply, he immediately turned around and went towards the living room of our dorm in Japan.

 

 

 

“Just one minute,” I said as I glanced inside my room again before going out.

 

 

 

Manager hyung was right, all of them are already here waiting for me. I went towards Youngbae’s side and sat comfortably. I furrowed my eyebrows seeing our manager in distress. What’s the matter? I asked myself as I waited for him to speak up.

 

 

 

 

“Hyung, is everything alright?” I heard Daesung asked after some time.

 

 

 

“YG sajangnim called earlier. He said that you guys are required to watch 2NE1’s concert this Friday,” he said as he looked at us one by one. Wait……. Why do we have to fly back to Korea to watch their concert when they will continue the next leg of it here in Japan? We could watch the concert here, right?

 

 

 

“Oh, and by the way, their world tour was cancelled,” our manager added.

 

 

 

“Why, hyung?” it was Seungri this time who asked.

 

 

 

“Uhm…. Sajangnim said that 2NE1 will be disbanding and the concert they are having will be their last,” he said as he sat down at the couch in front of us. My eyes widens hearing what our manager had just said.

 

 

 

 

“What?! Why are they disbanding?” Seunghyun hyung said as he stood up from the couch and started pacing back and forth.

 

 

 

 

“I don’t know. I asked sajangnim but he just said that one of the girls just wanted out of the lime light,” manager hyung said.

 

 

 

 

“Who could that be, hyung?” I asked. Well, whoever that is, I would immediately scold her to death when I get to Korea. Millions of girls are dying to be in her spot but here she is, wanting out of the limelight.

 

 

 

 

“It’s not our business anymore, Jiyong-ah. Just remember that you have flight tomorrow at seven in the evening. You will arrive their just in time of the concert,” manager hyung said he stood up from the couch and went out of our dorm. Not waiting for our questions that needed to be answered.

 

 

 

I rested my elbows on my knees as I combed my hands through my hair. I was deep in my thought when a loud banging of the door pulled me out of my reverie. I looked up and saw Seungri’s door is closed tightly.

 

 

 

Of course, he will be the most affected to this. He’s close with all the members of 2NE1 as if they were his real siblings. I looked around and saw that the rest of my members have this faraway look in their eyes. I bet we are all wondering the same thought…. Who could that be?

 

 

 

I slowly stood up from the couch and went towards my room.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

__________________________________________________________

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Noona!” Seungri immediately exclaimed as he went inside the dressing room of 2NE1.  Their concert is finished already so we decided to go to their dressing room and congratulate them all for a job well done.

 

 

 

I just stood at the middle of the room, with Kiko beside me, as I watched Seungri eagerly wrapped his arms around Dara’s. Seeing that, I felt uncomfortable as I started feeling a little irritated at the maknae. I cleared my throat but no one notices me, as everybody is busy with their own business.

 

 

 

“Oppa,” it was Minzy who first greeted me. I smiled at her warmly but the smile on my face slowly vanished seeing that 2NE1’s maknae is not really happy to see me. She was just kind enough to greet her sunbae in the industry.

 

 

 

 

“I see you brought someone with you, Ji,” 678 hyung said as he bowed at Kiko and smiled.

 

 

 

 

“She’s a friend from Japan,” I said.

 

 

 

 

“What’s her name?”678 hyung asked.

 

 

 

“She’s Kiko. She’s really an avid fan of 2NE1 so I brought her here to watch their concert,” I said as I looked at the far end where it looks like Bom and Dara seems to be in an important conversion.

 

 

 

I squinted my eyes and saw that Dara’s eyebrows are furrowed as she nods her head. Then Bom noona placed her hands on Dara’s back and started caressing it. Dara then bowed her head and I noticed that her shoulders shook slightly. And out of the sudden, the 2NE1 maknaes went to their unnie’s side. I furrowed my eyebrows. What’s happening to Dara?

 

 

 

“Girls,” their manager called their attention. The girls all looked at our direction where their manager is standing beside me. I tilted my head on the side seeing Dara’s eyes all red and puffy. Has she been crying? I cannot help myself to ask. “Come here,” their manager said as the girls complied immediately.

 

 

 

 

“This is Kiko, Jiyong’s friend, she’s from Japan and she’s a fan of yours,” their manager said.

 

 

 

“Nice to meet you, Kiko-ssi,” it was Dara who first greeted her. She bowed politely at Kiko and smiled.

 

 

 

“Excuse me for a while, I think my sister’s here,” Bom noona said. She didn’t even smile at me.. What did I do?

 

 

 

“Nice to meet you, Kiko unnie.. Please excuse us, I think YG sajangnim is looking for us,” Chaerin said. Eh, what is happening with the girls? I looked at Dara and smiled at her. She smiled back at me and I felt something flicked inside me.

 

 

 

I was about to open my mouth and talk to her but Chaerin immediately drag her out of my sight. I heaved up a deep sigh as I followed her with my eyes.

 

 

 

 

The next thing I know, our manager is already calling for us because we still have a flight to catch. We still have to stay in Japan for three more months. I tried looking for Chaerin to ask her why 2NE1 is disbanding but it seems like the girls are busy that they didn’t even see us off. Oh well, I’m sure I will see them again some other time. I shrugged my shoulders.

 

 

 

 

 

 

____________________________________________________________

 

 

 

 

AUTHOR's POV

 

 

 

 

Unknown to Jiyong, Dara keep on looking at him as if she is memorizing his every move, his every feature. She smiled sadly seeing him walking away from her with Kiko beside him. She felt her heart stopped it’s beating for a while, seeing him walk away from her with ‘her’.

 

 

 

“Are you okay, Dara-yah?” Bom asked her with a worried expression on her face.

 

 

 

“I’m okay, Bommie,” Dara forced up a smile at Bom.

 

 

 

She placed her hands on the small bump on her stomach, caressing it gently. “Baby, that’s your daddy…..” she whispered, making sure that no one heard her, with her eyes following his retreating back.

 

 

 

“Bye, Jiyong,” she said as she wiped that single tear that escaped her eyes.