Fly

Element Captor

 

Sungmin opened his eyes, the ceiling was- Blue.

Wait wha-?

He bolted up, while scratching his head. He knew his bedroom was filled with pink, including his walls. Then why am I here? Sungmin looked at the floor below him. Wait, what? Cement?

Despite the little voice at the back of his head, reminding him he was asleep and dreaming, he was still afraid.

He blinked, trying to wake up, but with no avail. Just then, he saw a something flying in the sky. He stared at it, what is that? It definitely wasn’t just a normal bird. It was, a Phoenix! It’s red back shining brightly in the sun.

Suddenly, he felt a force pushing him forward, towards the edge of the rooftop. He tensed up, trying to stay in one position.

One more push, and… And I’ll-

The force pushed him again. Panic rose in his chest, as the ground grew closer and closer. He closed his eyes and braced himself for the pain he would feel when he finally hit the ground. The wind around him became calm again.

Have I landed?

But instead of the hard cement pavement he expected to feel, he felt feathers, as soft as, well, feathers. He opened his eyes and saw the red back of the Phoenix he saw in the sky earlier. The Phoenix turned its head.

“SUNGMIN! SUNGMIN!” He heard at the back of his head. “WAKE UP, SUNGMIN!”

Sungmin scrambled out of bed and fell off. “Ahh…”

“Sungmin, you alright? You didn’t wake up when the alarm clock rang so…” Yesung asked, concern evident in his face. Sungmin nodded, “Yeah, I’m fine. Yesung, I… Just had a dream.”

“WHAT DREAM!?” Yesung asked, clearly interested.

Sungmin blinked, he stared blankly at Yesung, “Erm, sorry, I forgot.”

Yesung fell on the floor from the sheer ridiculousness of it. “HOW COULD YOU FORGET!? Your magic powers are getting stronger, so it could’ve been a predictive dream!”

“Aish, if I remember it I’ll tell you, don’t worry…” He yawned loudly, “Oh yeah, you haven’t told me what element I collected yesterday!” Sungmin protested.

“I was about to tell you when you fell asleep,” Yesung sighed. “It’s Woody."

 

 

 

Sungmin threw his bag onto the floor and sat down; he laid his head down, burying it in his arms.

“Sungmin-ah, training again?” Ryeowook whispered softly.

“Aish, don’t remind me.” He lifted his head with much strength, “I had a dream this morning, and… I CAN’T REMEMBER IT!” Sungmin yelled in frustration.

“Don’t be silly. It’s normal for people to not be able to remember what they dreamt of the night before.” Ryeowook chuckled at the sight of Sungmin pulling his hair, trying to remember what it was.

“B-but, I need to remember! Yesung said it could be some predictive dream that’ll help me.” Sungmin groaned in a soft voice. He may be frustrated, but he didnt want any questions about who this 'Yesung' was.

He heard the movement of chairs, and looked up. "Morning, Siwon, Kibum!" He said, cheerily.

Siwon smiled gently at Sungmin, and returned the greeting, but Kibum stared at Sungmin angrily.

What did I ever do to ruffle up his hair?! Sungmin sighed.

Mrs Park walked in. "Alright, today we're going to have a surprise test." she said, smiling evilly. Everyone in the class groaned, and Sungmin groaned the loudest. He at Math. Unlike Kyuhyun... he thought, with a dreamy look on his face.

"Mr. Lee?" Mrs Park called out for Sungmin. "Pay attention yeah?" she smiled, and the entire class laughed. Sungmin turned red.

It was the next day in school, and Sungmin was dreading to go to Math class.

He knew he was going to get a low mark, and was not looking forward to his dad's lecture. His worries came true, when Mrs Park walked into the classroom, with a grim look on her face.

"Class, we have one failure, but everyone else passed. Mr. Lee Sungmin?" Sungmin stood up, afraid for the scolding.

"Yes Mrs Park?"

"... You passed. Congratulations." Everyone in the class clapped in delight, for Sungmin was one of the more popular people in class.

"Now, we have two people who scored full marks. Mr. Choi Siwon and Mr. Kim Kibum? Come up please."

Everyone clapped, and was in awe at the two's perfection. They looked good, their personalities were good and they were incredibly smart.

Well, in Siwon’s case, yeah… Sungmin rolled his eyes as he saw Kibum smile while taking his paper from Mrs Park.

Ryeowook leaned over, towards Sungmin, “They’re smart, aren’t they?” He whispered into Sungmin’s ear.

“I guess so.” Sungmin snorted.

Isn’t Kyuhyun much better? He’s handsome, smart, has a great personality, an awesome voice. Who could get more perfect than that!

He was awoken from his dream by a loud sound; Mrs Park was standing in front of Sungmin’s table. “Eh hem.” She coughed, “What did I say about paying attention?”

Sungmin immediately stood up, “Oh, erm. Sorry, I’m really sorry.” He bowed continuously.

He could hear Kibum laugh softly from behind. Dammit, I hate him so much…

Ryeowook raised his hand. "Yes, Ryeowook?" Mrs. Park asked.

"Mrs. Park, having Sungmin day dream was actually my fault," he said, lying through his teeth. You see, he had a math question he didn’t know how to do, so he asked me for help. I helped him, but he was still trying to figure out what was the problem, causing the daydreaming."

"I see, Ryeowook." Mrs Park nodded. "Just... JUST for this once." She pointed at both Ryeowook and Sungmin, then walked back to her position, back to returning the slips of test papers.

"Gee, thanks Ryeowook." Sungmin smiled at his little friend who was shivering. "Wha- What's wrong?"

"It's- It's just that, I- I haven't lied in a while..." He was looking at his lap, beads of sweat fell from his forehead to his pants.

"Hah, don't be silly." Sungmin ruffled Ryeowook's hair and laughed.

 

 

 

It was lunch time, and Ryeowook was still sitting there in his seat, looking sad. “Yah, what’s wrong? Don’t you want to go take a bite?” Sungmin patted his shoulder and brought a chair near to Ryeowook to sit.

Ryeowook held his hands in his head and sighed, “I haven’t told anyone this but,” He sobbed and whispered, “When I was young, my parents used to beat me all the time…”

Sungmin’s hand flew to his mouth, “Oh my- Ryeowook…”

Ryeowook ignored Sungmin, and continued, “I barely lied when I was with my young, ‘cause if I did, I would be beaten, terribly. Not only that, I’d also get shut out of my house for days.” Tears began to trickle down his cheeks as he remembered his awful past. “I was only 6 years old when they finally kicked me out of the house forever. They thought I was useless- Someone who was a disgrace to a family of doctors and scientists."

Sungmin gasped, he never thought that the cheerful boy he knew as Ryeowook grew up like this. He’s such a happy-go-lucky person.

“Thankfully, someone from the orphanage saw me and took pity on me, since then I grew up in the orphanage.” He wiped his tears and finally smiled, “Until one day a rich couple visited the orphanage and decided to adopt me. So I live with them now.” He ended with a bitter smile.

“Ryeowook, I’m so sorry.” Sungmin put his hands on Ryeowook’s shoulders.

“Why say sorry?” He raised his eyebrows, “Heh, just promise me one thing.” He took a deep breath, “Next time, you better bring me along for your battles when possible. I dont want you to get hurt."

Sungmin, feeling pity for his best friend nodded sympathetically and said "Of course." He then realized what Ryeowook had said. "Wait. WHAT? You could get seriously hurt, Wookie! Are you sure?"

“I just want to make sure you're safe!” Ryeowook pouted, “Don’t worry, I’ll be safe for sure.”

It was History class, and everyone sighed as usual when Mdm Kim walked into the class, her high heels creating heavy footsteps.

“Class, settle down!” She shouted so that everyone could hear her, “Better. Now, for today, our history lesson will be on China.”

Everyone groaned at that statement, for they had no interest in China at all, except Sungmin. His favourite subject was History, even though Mdm Kim wasn't a really good teacher. It was the subject he was best at, anyway.

“Turn to page 175 of your textbook.” Mdm Kim ordered.

Yes, there were that many pages in the book.

Sungmin saw a huge picture on that page; it caught the eyes of most of his classmates as well.

“You see, class. That there, is a Phoenix. Chinese often believe that Phoenixes bring good luck, so in the olden days, they would always look out for them. Unfortunately, there has, so far, only been one sighting of the legendary Red Back Phoenix.”

'Phoenixes?' Sungmin thought to himself. Flashbacks of his dream came to him. Him falling, a Phoenix flying. "Ryeowook, I-" Before he could continue his sentence, a vision of himself standing on the school's rooftop with Ryeowook flashed before his eyes. The same Phoenix he saw in his dream was there. "Sungmin! Sungmin!" 'Is the Phoenix calling out to me?' He thought to himself. 'Fly....'

"SUNGMIN!"

Sungmin was snapped out of his vision, and he was back in the classroom. Ryeowook was looking at him with concerned eyes. "Sungmin, are you okay?" Ryeowook asked. Sungmin nodded. Suddenly, a huge gust of wind flew through the window. It got stronger and stronger. Everything in the classroom was being tossed around, and the students were trying to block off the wind. Faintly, Sungmin saw Siwon and Kibum running out of the door, Kibum clutching Siwon's arm.

"RyeowooK!" Sungmin shouted as Ryeowook hit his arm against the wall of the classroom. Sungmin grabbed Ryeowook and Stella from his bag and dashed out of the classroom door, and headed to the rooftop.

"Sungmin! Where are you going?" Ryeowook shouted over the sound of students screaming and the howling wind.

"I had a vision! I was standing on the rooftop, and I saw- There!" Sungmin and Ryeowook had reached the rooftop, and the Phoenix was clear for everyone to see.

"A Phoenix?" Ryeowook shrieked. "But they don’t exist!"

"It's not just a normal Phoenix! It's the Fly element!" a voice that was neither Sungmin's or Ryeowook's shouted at them. Sungmin and Ryeowook turned to see Kibum looking at them with a bow and some arrows in his hands.

'Hold on a tick.. I've seen those before...' Sungmin thought. Then he remembered. "You're the guy who helped me out!"

Kibum nodded. "That's not really important now. Catch Fly!"

Sungmin nodded. He took out Stella from his pocket. "OPEN!" he shouted, and Stella grew into the staff Sungmin uses to activate the elements.

"Dust, become a binding chain to capture what threatens me! DUSTY!" Sungmin summoned the beautiful elfish girl, and she flew towards the Phoenix.

"NO! DONT USE DUSTY!" Kibum shouted at Sungmin. Sungmin, shocked, turned around to look at Kibum. "Dusty would only-" Kibum was cut off by a scream of Sungmin's. The wind had become stronger, and it seemed to only be directed at Sungmin. He was thrown into the air, and was at the edge of the roof.

The wind blew harder, and Sungmin went off the edge completely.

"SUNGMIN!" Ryeowook screamed and ran towards the edge where Sungmin had fallen. Kibum, thinking fast, took an arrow and shot. "The Gods of the wind.. ANSWER MY CALL!" He shouted as the arrow went under Sungmin's back.

It transformed into a gust of wind, and broke Sungmin's fall. "Are you alright?" Kibum shouted at Sungmin from above. Sungmin nodded.

"Wood, command all the trees to help in my aid. WOODY!" Sungmin shouted and summoned Woody.

Woody grew around the Fly element, and secured it tight.

Woody helped Sungmin get back to the rooftop, for him to seal the element. "Return to the form you were meant to be, ELEMENTAL ORB!" Sungmin swung Stella towards Fly, and Fly was being into Stella. When the last of Fly was gone, the wind settled down.

"Let's go back into the classroom before Mdm Kim finds us missing," Siwon said, grabbing Kibum by the hand. Sungmin and Ryeowook nodded, and all four dashed down the staircase.

 

 

 

"Where have you four been?" Mdm Kim asked sternly, standing in front of the class with her arms folded, as Kibum, Siwon, Sungmin and Ryeowook came to a halting stop at the classroom door.

Sungmin and Ryeowook exchanged dismayed glances. "Mdm Kim, my kind friends and I have been searching for my textbook," Siwon cut in gently. "My textbook had important things inside, so I asked my friends for help."

"But I reckon, you didn't have to bring along three people with you, am I right?" Mdm Kim asked.

"As I had said, I had important things inside, and they were being scattered all over school," Siwon replied patiently.

"Alright, alright. Just this once, I don't wish for anything like this to happen again. You hear me?"

"Yes Mdm Kim." All four of them chorused.

They went back to their seats as Mdm Kim continued with her lesson, oblivious to the mess in the class.

Sungmin turned around to Siwon and Kibum, "Thank you." He mouthed.

Siwon smiled at Sungmin and Kibum nodded slightly.

Looks like Kibum has warmed up to me a little… Sungmin smiled at the thought of it.