Back in the Days

Element Captor

 

"Sungmin-ah! You ready?" Jungsu shouted from the living room. "We'll be meeting Heechul and Henry today!"

Sungmin took a deep breathe, I can do this... I can do this...

He grabbed his guitar case and brought it downstairs where Kyuhyun and Jungsu were waiting. "Yep, I'm ready!" He grinned at them.

"So, we're going to play our instruments when we reach there after introductions, right?" Sungmin said excitedly.

There was an awkward silence.

"Erm... We'll see about that..." Jungsu trailed off awkwardly, while Kyuhyun whistled a tune and looked out of the window. Sungmin hugged his guitar case excitedly. Not only would he be together with Kyuhyun for 5 hours, he would be able to play his guitar as much as he wanted...!

 

 

 

"....I don’t think I can play my guitar as much as I wanted." Sungmin sighed, as he was surrounded by 4 other boys talking and eating snacks. "Um... can we have an introduction..?" Sungmin quietly requested. They were all in the Cho family's auditorium, where they could practice as much as they wanted without needing to pay money.

Kyuhyun got up from his chair. "Sungmin's right," he said. "It's time for an introduction." He cleared his throat. "Myself and Jungsu you already know, Sungmin. And this here is Heechul." He gestured to a man, who was calmly eating.

"He's the peace maker of this group, but if you piss him off... It's the end of the world for you," Jungsu said calmly. Heechul glared at him, and hit him on the head. "See." Jungsu said, evidently in pain.

"And this is our backup guitarist, Henry. He's Donghae’s brother, but has an English name because his family is half Korean, half Canadian. Donghae grew up in Korea for 4 years, and then his family moved to Canada, and had Henry."

Henry smiled, and waved at Sungmin. He lifted his fork to eat a strawberry off his fork, but it dropped. Henry pouted, and rested his head on the table and started to sulk. "Eheh... He's a klutz, took forever to learn the guitar, but he's good now, isn’t he?" Kyuhyun smiled at Sungmin.

“Hey, guys, there’s this question I have.” Sungmin looked at them.

Kyuhyun raised an eyebrow, “Hmm? What is it?”

"How did Angel Beats! start?"

"Ehh, I don’t know either! Tell us!" Henry enthusiastically said.

Jungsu, Kyuhyun and Heechul looked at each other and laughed. "It began on the first day of being freshmen in this school..."

2 Years Ago

'Kyuhyun!" Jungsu called his middle school best friend over to his table in his new high school. "Let's make a band!"

"Ehhh?" Kyuhyun exclaimed. "Why?"

"Well, because your voice is brilliant, you can play the piano, and I can play the drums!"

"Hey hey, wait. So we're going to form a band, with only the two of us? What use would just the piano and the drums do? We need a guitarist and a bass, my friend."

"That is rather true...." Jungsu muttered, and gestured Kyuhyun to seat at the seat behind his as their teacher came in.

"Good morning, everyone. I will be your homeroom teacher, Mr. Kim," the young man said. "This is my first year on being a homeroom teacher, so I hope we have a good year!" The entire class clapped. "First, let's have an introduction!" he said, joyfully. Let's start from this lovely young maiden from this end, shall we?" he winked at the girl and she looked like she just fell in love.

Jungsu wasn’t listening to the introductions, until Kyuhyun tapped his chair. "Yah, yah. Pay attention!"

A young man stood up, and combed his fingers through his hair. His face was as pretty as the prettiest girl in class, and his hair was jet black, and styled in such a way that he just gave off a brilliant radiance. Even the way he wore his uniform was cool. All the girls looked at him, swooning. "Name. Kim Heechul. Middle school. Han Young Middle School. Interests. Playing the bass." His sentences were short and to the point, without any pauses. He looked like a very confident person. Then he sat down, crossing his legs, and on his face, he wore a bored look.

"Yah, yah! Did you hear what he said? He's interested in playing the bass!" Jungsu excitedly leaned back to whisper to Kyuhyun.

"I know! Maybe we can recruit him?" Kyuhyun said.

"Perhaps.... He looks like the cold kind. He may not even want to talk to us," Jungsu said, doubtfully.

"Yes? The two of you," Mr. Kim asked. "May I help you with something?" Kyuhyun and Jungsu shook their heads. "Alright then. Mr.Park, please, do your introduction," Mr. Kim said to one of the students.

During lunch, Kyuhyun and Jungsu decided to go to the cafeteria to get some food.

“Heyyyy! My name’s Lee Donghae! You all can call me Fishy like everyone does! I just arrived in Korea after living in Canada. My hobbies, playing the guitar! One day, I wish to join a band!”

Kyuhyun and Jungsu looked at the brown headed, hyper boy who was in his class, giving an introduction to the rest of his classmates. “Targets accomplished.” They waited outside the class for him to come out; he was a senior, already in his second year.

===============

"Ehhh?" the current Heechul pouted. "I'm sure I didn’t sound that cold!" He said, laughing.

"You did!" Kyuhyun said, laughing as well.

"On to the story, guys!" Jungsu yelled.

===============

"Donghae, right?" Jungsu said, approaching Donghae in his classroom.

He smiled and nodded. "Yep! That's me! May I help you?"

"Oh, yes. Would you like to join a band?" Kyuhyun said.

Donghae jumped in joy and squealed, “WOULD I? YES OF COURSE!" he said, excitedly, and clasped both Kyuhyun's and Jungsu's hands in his. "As a guitarist?"

"Naturally," Kyuhyun said laughing. “I'm the vocalist, and when needed, the keyboardist. Jungsu here is the drummer."

"Eh? Then what about the bass?"

"That's our only problem," Jungsu said, sighing. "So far, we only know one person who would like to play the bass. Kim Heechul."

"Heechullie?" Donghae said, innocently. "He's dangerous! Don’t ask him Kyukyu, Susu! I was in the same middle school!" Donghae pouted.

'Kyukyu? Susu?' both Kyuhyun and Jungsu thought, thinking about how ridiculous the nicknames sounded.

"Anyway, we're going to try." Kyuhyun said, getting ready to leave Donghae's classroom. "I'm going to ask him. Come on, Jungsu. Donghae, you don’t need to come if you don’t want to."

Donghae shook his head and stood up. "I'm coming too."

Heechul sat alone at his desk, and every once in a while, a girl would come and try to talk to him. But because of his sharp tongue, they quickly went back to their own friends. "Yah, Kim Heechul."

Heechul looked at who was speaking to him. "Oh. Cho Kyuhyun, right? The guy who sings and plays the keyboard."

"Yeah, that's me!" Kyuhyun said. "Look, you said you like playing the bass in your introduction, right?" Kyuhyun said.

"Like? LIKE? Like is an understatement, Kyuhyun! I love playing the bass!"

"Really? Would you like to join our band then?" Jungsu asked.

"A band? A BAND? WHY YE- Erm, I mean. Maybe. I'll think about it." Heechul looked at his watch. "Sure why not?" He said, excitedly.

"Great! What about bringing your instruments tomorrow, and then after school, we can go to Kyuhyun's family's studio?" Jungsu said.

Donghae and Heechul nodded. "You're on!"

============

Heechul, Kyuhyun and Jungsu laughed, remembering the old times. "Then we composed our first ever song, 'Angel Beats!' and named our group after that song!" Jungsu said happily. “'Angel', for Kyuhyun's angelic voice, and ‘Beats’ for the wonderful beats we give.”

“Yep, so that’s how it all started.” Kyuhyun nodded slowly.

Jungsu suddenly let out a cough, "Well, time for practice!"

"You're right, Susu." Kyuhyun chuckled as Jungsu made an annoyed expression on his face.

"Yah, like your nickname is any better, KYUKYU."

“Yah, yah, yah, practice!” Heechul yelled from the back, tapping his drumsticks together. “How ‘bout we make sure they can play Hope is a Dream That Never Sleeps? We’ll probably have to perform that soon.”

“Good idea.” Jungsu nodded. “Henry-ah! You know how to play this song, don’t you?”

Henry nodded excitedly. “IT’S MY FAVOURITE ANGEL BEATS! SONG!” He jumped in joy.

"I know Sungmin can play it really well," Kyuhyun said, smiling at the young boy as they took out their instruments.

Sungmin modestly scratched his head. "Not really..." He noticed that Kyuhyun got out a keyboard and sat down on a chair behind it. "Eh, Kyuhyun hyung, you will be playing the keyboard?"

Kyuhyun smiled at Sungmin, and nodded. "This song requires the keyboard, so I would be singing while playing.

Meanwhile, Henry was being lectured by Heechul. "You've gotten the back-up guitar part already, right?" he checked.

Henry nodded happily. "Yep, yep! I took forever, but. I can play it!" he exclaimed, dancing around the room with his guitar.

Sungmin looked at Henry's guitar. "Henry-ah, why did you get that guitar? It's neck is thin, so it's more for females..."

Henry giggled. "This? I just thought it was cute!" he said.

"Everyone ready?" Jungsu shouted from behind the drums. Everyone nodded, and Jungsu gave the signal. "1, 2, 3, 4!"

"Na waerowodo dae neol saenggakhal ddaen," Kyuhyun sang, in his deep angelic voice after he played the piano intro. Everyone joined in as he started singing. "Misoga naui eol gure beonjyeo."

Uwah... Kyuhyun's voice is wonderful~! Sungmin thought to himself, as he played his part of the guitar.

Angel Beats! practiced for the rest of the 5 hours (minus the time spent remembering the origins of the band), and they wrapped up the practice. "See you guys on Tuesday!" the members called to each other, and Sungmin and Jungsu took a cab home.

"How was Angel Beats!, Sungmin?" Jungsu asked his brother.

"It's awesome! I can’t wait for the next session!" Sungmin said excitedly. He looked out of the window.

And I can’t wait till I get to hear him sing again...