The Voice

Element Captor

 

He walked around the empty space, seeing nothing but darkness everywhere. “Why am I here?”

“Sungmin…” He heard a voice.

“Who’s that?” He shouted, wishing to see someone appear out of the dark and tell him why he was there. However nothing happened after a while, all he heard was someone repeating his name over and over again. “What is this place…?”

Sungmin took a step forward, just then a light from below appeared that almost blinded him. He looked up and saw a thousand cards flying away. He looked down, and he saw that he was standing on a huge circular platform with a picture on it.

“Isn’t that…” He carefully studied the picture, “That’s the toy I’ve been seeing!”

“I’M NOT A…!” He heard a little squeaky voice.

“Who’s there?” He turned around, looking at every part of this pitch black darkness.  Sungmin held his hand over his ears and shut his eyes tight. “I’m just dreaming… I’m just dreaming…” He repeated to himself.

When he opened his eyes, he found himself in his bedroom. Sunlight poured into his bedroom through the windows and filled the atmosphere with the ‘morning odor’.

He stretched and yawned, his pink alarm clock was ringing, his whole room filled with pink. Pink bed sheets, pink walls, pink tables and chairs, pink pajamas! It was his favorite color.

He lazily dragged his feet to the toilet to brush his teeth, bathe and change into his school uniform. He grabbed the camcorder from his dressing table, gently ran a comb through his hair, smiled at his reflection in the mirror then ran downstairs.

“I’m awake!” Sungmin shouted as he sprinted down the stairs to the dining table where a boy sat.

“This is my brother, Lee Jungsu!” He turned the camcorder on and started recording his brother eating, “Really a pain in the neck sometimes…” He muttered under his breath.

“Doing homework last minute again?” Jungsu said cheekily and looked up, chewing rice in his mouth.

“Yah, this is due in 3 weeks’ time,” Sungmin said pointedly as a man with an apron on laid a plate of toast and a cup of orange juice on the table. “Thanks dad!” He turned the camcorder to his father, “This is my father!”

"And this is my mother!" He he said, shifting the camera's view to a picture of his mother. "Well, she’s passed on, but dad puts up a picture of her every day! So it’s been my dad, my brother and me all this while."

“I’m going.” Jungsu pushed his plate aside and stood up, causing his chair to make a racket.

Sungmin choked on his orange juice, “You’re going already?” He saved the video, put the camcorder down and started to gulp his food down. His arrogant brother had already left, and on a bicycle!

Sungmin jumped up after finishing the last piece of his second toast, and grabbed the camcorder. Putting on his helmet and safety equipment, his father shouted across the room, “Be careful! I’ll be back late tonight!”

“Alright, I’ll make dinner tonight!” He rushed to the corridor, grabbed his skate board and bag then skated off.

Hope he’s not far away!  He thought to himself as he the camcorder and speeded up to catch up with Jungsu.

“There!” He pointed to his brother along with another boy. “That’s Cho Kyuhyun!” He stopped in front of the boy, and smiled. “My brother’s classmate and best friend. Often visits our house.”

Sungmin held his head low and blushed.