Surprise

How Do I Explain?

A year later.

I slowly clamber out of bed. Muscles complaining, I drag myself to the bathroom, put my head under the sink, and open the cold water tap. Wide awake now, I walk into the shower, and stand there for sometime, thinking over things.

Today was Minho's birthday. Minho, my big brother. He's done so much for me, and I've given him nothing but worry in return.

During the first few months after the fire, I refused to do anything. James had taken the three of us in, Minho, Amber and I, but I just couldn't do anything. The image of our house in flames kept popping into my dreams, and I awakened everyone in the night with my screams.

I slowly recovered though. I just had to get better, because of the kind, loving people, who are my family now.

We moved to Korea. Minho and I joined a new school there, Sapphire High School, and Amber goes to an elementary school, quite close to our house.

I began to build a wall around me, I didn't let anyone in, besides my family. No one at school could get through. They all avoid me now.

Sighing, I step out of the shower and look at myself in the mirror.

I had gotten so thin; was that really my reflection?

I wrap a towel around myself, and walk back into my room. I blow-dryed my hair, and changed into my school uniform.

I grabbed my bag, and hurried downstairs, into the kitchen.

Rose smiles when she see me enter, I wave and seat my self at the table.

Ramona puts a plate of waffles and chocolate in front of me, and I frown at her. She knows that I hate having chocolate for breakfast. She merely winks at me and continues to chop fruit for Amber.

Minho walks in, sleepy and grumpy, and gives me a bear hug before sitting down.

"Happy Birthday Minho!", I smile, holding a forkful of chocolaty waffles in front of him.

He eats it, grinning, but his smile is almost immediatly replaced by a frown.

"Why do I have to go to school on my birthday?", he grumbles, twirling his spoon.

"Because you have to study, and also, are no joke.", says Rose, wagging a finger at him. "So don't ditch unnecessarily, got it?"

"Yeah yeah, whatever", he mumbles.

I giggle softly. Minho is so cute when he's grumpy. You shovel down the last forkful of waffle, and then hug Rose.

"You're leaving for school now?", she asks, surprised. I usually do my best to go as late as possible, so that I had no chance to talk to anyone.

"Um, yeah, I, er, have some doubts in Maths, the teacher will be there by now. Bye!", I wave, and hurry out the door.

Walking to school is really calming. The trees, crisp, clean air, and clear skies make it so nice.

I reach the school in about half an hour. The real reason I left early was because, well, there are rumors going around that the members of NU'EST would be coming to study at our school, so, since I'm a fan, I thought I would be able to talk to them and maybe get an autograph.

But, I got to school really early, since NO ONE was there. I was fine with that though. I don't talk to anyone here much. Its only if I have an assignment or something like that with a classmate that I say more than 'Hi'.

Bored, I started wandering around. At least in class, the teacher talks, and you can listen. But here, there's only wind and the sound of traffic from the main road.

I reached the back of the school. I liked the steps there. You can sit there and just stare forever into the blue sky, without feeling like someone's staring at you, since hardly anyone comes to the back of the school.

As I reached the corner, I heard voices. Frowning, I turned to go back the way I had come, but just at that moment, I felt someone crash onto me.

"Ouch! Get off me!", I snap, trying to stand up.

"What? Oh, , sorry, I didn't realize that someone was standing here! Sorry!", says the boy, hurriedly getting up, and offering me his hand.

I ignore his hand, and stand up. Once I brush the dust off of my coat, I look up, right into the eyes of the cutest boy ever.

Ren.

 

 

Startled, I stumble back, right into the arms of JR.

"Oh ! I'm so sorry! I didn't know you guys were here! I'll leave now!",I say hurriedly in English, forgetting how to speak Korean as I pick up my bag.

"AHHHH!!! I HEAR ENGLISH!", shouts Aron, and runs over to me.

"Hello! What's your name?", he asks me, shaking my hand so vigoriously that I think it might fall off.

"Um, my name is Krystal, how do you do?", I say, smiling shyly at them.

When Minhyun laughs softly, I look questioningly at him.

"There's no need to be shy, we're in the same school, so that makes us your friends!", he grins, putting his arm around your shoulder.

Friends. No one had called me that for a long time, and the warmth from his body began to spread throughout me, making me happy.