Blaze

How Do I Explain?

"Mom! James is here, I gotta go okay?", I yell, as James parks his car in the driveway.

"Okay honey, have fun, and take care of your sister!", she says, giving me a quick hug and kiss.

I hurry downstairs, pick up my two year old sister, Amber, and rush out the door.

"Hi James! Hi, Marcela!", I smile, opening the car door.

"HI!! CAN'T WAIT TO GO TO THE MALL RIGHT?", yells Marcela, jumping up and down.

"Yep, hope we get there before the other fans!!!" I grin, plopping Amber onto my lap. Amber looks up and grins, clearly excited too.

"Marcie, calm down, you're scaring me.",shudders Walter, frowning. "Why am I here again? I hate shopping."

"You're with us because we need your opinion on the clothes we pick. Right Krystal?", asks Marcela, shooting me a mischevious look.

Giggling, I nod, making Walter slump. I knew very well the reason for Marcela bringing him along. There was a huge sale at our favourite shop,K-razy, which sold everything k-pop, and since he had lots of pocket money, Marcela was gonna force him to buy her some things.

I flip open my phone, and stare at the picture of Ren. He was so cute! it gently, I hum the lyrics from 'Face', smiling as I think of all the NU'EST items on sale at K-razy.

"We're here kids. Have fun, and be careful!" says James, turning around to smile at us. Marcela shrieks, and jumps out, dragging Walter along with her.

I get out, wave at James, and run after Marcela and Walter. Hurrying to K-razy, I trip and fall onto a boy seated on the bench outside the shop.

"Ouch! Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't see you there.", I say, looking anxiously at him.

"Its okay. Don't worry about it.", the boy smiles.

I frown slightly, his accent was familiar, it sounded like I had heard it somewhere before. And he was dressed weird as well, a dark coat, his hair tucked into a cap.

Before I could say anything else, Marcela yells at me to hurry up.

Giving the boy one last look, I hurry into the shop.

I spot Walter lurking in a corner of the shop, looking grumpy.

Walking towards him, I look around me. Soon, my arms fill with NU'EST items, necklaces, CDs, and a cute t-shirt with an adorable picture of Ren on it.

"Um, Walter? What do you think of this shirt?" I ask shyly, holding it up.

He smiles, and pats my head. "I think it looks very cute on you", he says gently. He knows of my obession with Ren.

I smile happily, and continue shopping.

After about an hour in the shop, we pay (Marcela forcing Walter to buy an expensive diary with a picture of SNSD on it), and head over to the food court.

"Ah, I'm really happy!", I say, as I sit down, smiling at Walter.

"I can see that.", he laughs, ruffling my hair.

"Well, what do you guys want to eat?", Marcela asks us, pouting. She obviously wanted to be a part of our conversation.

"Anything's fine with me.", I say, leaning against my chair.

Walter and Marcela walk off, leaving me alone. Suddenly, I get a call.

"Hello?", I say, as I click the green button.

"Krystal? Is Walter there? Get him here now!", I hear James's voice yell.

Startled I, run towards Walter. 

"Walter, its your dad. It sounds urgent.", I say, breathlessly, holding the phone out towards him.

Surprised, he takes it, and his face grows serious as he listens to what his dad says. Looking down at me with an alarmed face, he grabs hold of me, motions for Marcela to come, and runs towards the mall exit.

"What? What did James say? Walter! What happened?", I ask, scared.

"I'll tell you later", he says, almost yelling, as he looks around for Marcela, who had stopped to take our bags.

"HURRY UP!", he bellows.

Running out, he stops a cab. Shoving Marcela, me. and our bags into the back seat, he gets in, and tells the driver my address.

"Walter, why are we going back? What happened? Is everyone alright?", I ask, my voice rising wih fear.

"Krystal, I-I'm sorry. There was a fire. At your house. Dad saw it just as he went back.", he says, his eyes filling with tears.

Ignoring Marcela's gasp, I grab his shoulder.

"Mom..dad...everyone. They're okay, right? They're fine, right?", I scream, fear gripping my heart.

He just looks away. I yell at the driver to hurry up, and let Marcela comfort me.

Nothing could have happened to them, right? I mean, they would have escaped. Nothing happened to them. They're alright.

I keep saying this to myself, but somehow, it doesn't stop me from bursting into tears when I see the burning house.

"NO!", I yell, opening the door and jumping out, while the car was still moving.

I run over to the gates, and try to break them open, but strong hands grab me from behind, and drag me away.

Screaming and kicking, I find myself in James's arms.

"You got them out, right? They're safe, right?" I ask, trembling.

I see the tears pouring down his face.

"TELL ME!", I yell, grabbing hold of his collar.

"I-I'm sorry. It was too late. The firemen are still inside, but, the fire had taken over the whole house when they got here, the gates were locked for some reason, I couldn't get through.", he sobs.

No. No, he was lying. It couldn't be late, right? It just couldn't. I feel someone hugging me, and I realize it's Rose.

I just blindly wait, staring at the house.

"Sir! We got him out. I'm sorry, the others..we were too late.", says one fireman, jerking his thumb towards a nearby ambulance.

I feel myself walking, some unknown power willing me to walk. Opening the door, I see my elder brother lying on a stretcher, his face charred and burnt.

I turn to Walter, and ask him to pick Amber up. We had forgotten her at the play centre in the mall.

Then I climb inside the ambulance, and stare at my brother, tears flowing freely down my face.