Masquerade Ball

A High School Year to Remember

-Abby’s POV-

 

After we bought the dresses, we shopped for other stuff, like shoes and makeup. It was around seven when we finished shopping so we ate at the plaza. We said good bye and went back home. The next day was a mix of boring classes and boys asking girls out to homecoming at the last minute. I saw a creative sign that said: “I’ll go noodles if you come with me to homecoming.” It had a ramen pack taped on it as well. Hey, she’s pretty lucky; she gets a date and a free ramen pack.

The rest of the day passed by in a blur and finally it was the end of the day. Andrea and I rushed to her house to get ready. I had left my dress and heels at her house so that I wouldn’t have to go to my house and come back.

I straightened my hair, while Andrea left it wavy. I applied liquid eye liner, of course, but this time it was gold and glittery. We dressed and without noticing it, it was already half an hour for the dance to start.

Andrea panicked. “Come on! We’re gonna be late!”

“Okay, okay I’m going!” I shouted while she ran down the stairs. I couldn’t run because I was wearing heels, but Andrea was wearing flats. I put on my mask and took one last look at myself in the mirror and smiled. I actually look good.

Andrea’s mom dropped us off and we waited in line. There was a big line, but when the doors opened, everyone piled in. I entered and the place took my breath away. Everyone in sight wore masks and I could see dresses of every type. The walls were adorned with masks as well. There were bright, twinkling lights hanging from the ceiling and the walls. It was also the only sources of light. The room was dim, which added to the mysterious effect. It was also very loud so Andrea and I had to shout to communicate.

“What should we do first?” I shouted at Andrea.

She shrugged. “Let’s go to where the dance floor is.”

We pushed our way through the crowd and we stood next to the food tables. They served mini sandwiches and fruit punch. I wasn’t very hungry so I didn’t get any, but Andrea, being the food lover she is, ate two. I then suddenly felt someone back hugging me. I didn’t react right away, since I was shocked.

“I’m so happy to see you here!” I turned around and saw Luhan. He had his hair styled upwards instead of his fringe, but he looked breathtaking either way. He was wearing jeans and a suit jacket. He was wearing black and white converse as well.

I was still acting awkward around him so I just muttered a reply. “Nice to see you too,”

I turned to look for Andrea and saw her talking with Kai, Suho and Baekhyun were approaching also. They all looked so handsome.

Baekhyun hugged me. “You look amazing!”

I giggled, “Thanks, you look handsome.” He grinned.

“What about me?” Luhan asked me with a pout. I laughed. “You look handsome too, Luhan.”

He smiled. I looked at Andrea and saw her and Kai stepping onto the dance floor. There was a slow couple song playing.

Baekhyun took my hand. “Want to dance?” he asked.

“I don’t know how.” I responded.

He chuckled. “Don’t worry, just follow my lead.” I let him pull me to the dance floor. We were close to Andrea and Kai. I caught her glance and wiggled my eyebrows at her, pointing at Kai. She blushed and looked the other way.

Baekhyun held my waist and I wrapped my arms around his neck. I rested my head on his shoulder and we swayed side to side. I felt comfortable, protected. He had a soft scent of cologne. I heard a lot of giggling coming from Andrea and Kai. I turned and saw Kai whispering in her ear. Gosh I’m so going to about this later.

“See, it isn’t so hard to dance now is it?” Baekhyun asked.

I laughed. “Not really, I guess.” We stayed in comfortable silence.

“Yah Baekhyun, my turn.” I looked up and saw Luhan standing next to us. Baekhyun glanced at me.

“I’ll see you over by the food tables when the song is done.” I nodded and he smiled at me.

He let go of me and Luhan pulled me closer to him. His arms s around my waist and I felt nervous. I hesitantly draped my hands on his shoulders and he took hold of my hands and wrapped them around his neck. I looked at him and saw he was already looking at me. I felt butterflies in my stomach so I quickly looked away.

I turned around, just in time to see Kai and Andrea kissing. I was happy for Andrea and Kai. I automatically squealed.

“Aww they’re so cute together!”  I smiled and looked at Luhan. He glanced at them then glanced at me. His eyes were unreadable, his face, serious. His eyes were mesmerizing. He caressed my cheek and leaned in. Our lips met, it was a sweet, gentle kiss. I smiled in between the kiss and so did he. All too soon our kiss was interrupted.

“Yah Luhan! What are you doing!” I heard Baekhyun shout. I turned around and saw him running towards us. People were staring at him like he had gone crazy. He approached us and tried to pull me away, but Luhan was still holding me by my waist. I had no idea what to do. Andrea, thankfully, pulled me away from both of them and Kai went to calm Baekhyun down.

“Are you okay?” Andrea asked, concerned.

I nodded. “I’m just confused as to what’s happening right now.”

I looked at Baekhyun and he looked angry. I’d never seen him like that. I never thought he was capable of being angry, since he was always smiling brightly.

I pulled away from Andrea. “I need to fix this,” Andrea nodded and let me go.

I walked over to them. Luhan smiled at me and I shyly smiled back. He walked away to where the food tables are. Kai went to where Andrea was.

 “Are you alright?” I asked Baekhyun.

Suddenly, he pulled me into a tight embrace. He my hair. “I’m fine now. It’s just that I don’t like Luhan being close to you.”

He broke the embrace and leaned in. I felt like my heart stopped. He whispered in my ear and it sent chills down my spine. “He might have kissed you first, but remember I’m next.” I froze and he smirked.

He walked away, leaving me there confused, like what happened between Luhan and I a few days ago.

What is it with people leaving me confused like this?!