Partners.

A Careless Mistake

 

I followed Rae to the director’s office, it seemed like they were going to have the discussion in the meeting room.

Rae kept on turning her head behind to stare at me, “Kyu, why are you following me?” She asked, annoyed.

I looked up at her and smile, “You’ll know in a while.” I said as I walked by her and into the meeting room.

I sat down in the middle of the chairs that were there and Rae sat on the other end, obviously not wanting to sit near me so I scoot over to her side and because she was at the end, she had nowhere else to move to.

A few others came in and sat down; I smiled and nodded my head to them.

Finally the director came in.

“Hello, everyone! We have a new member to our mission trip, let’s welcome him, Kyuhyun!” The director said with a smile as the rest of the people clapped their hands. I looked over to see Rae looking up at me with wide eyes.

I just smiled back and turned my head to face the director.

“Alright, we’ve already made arrangements with the home in the other country. We’ll be leaving in a month’s time, during this last four weeks; we need to prepare some food rationing stuff and gifts for the children at the home. I’ve already divided up you guys into pairs.” The director said as he read the names out in the list and their duties.

I just continued to stare at the director until he read out my name.

“Kyuhyun and … Shin Rae. You guys will be in charge of the gifts for the children.”

I looked up at Rae as she looked up at me. “What?!” She blurted out.

“Erm, I thought I was partnering with Lyn?” She asked, stuttering.

“Oh? Lyn is partnering someone else. So I partner you up with Kyuhyun. Okay, no more changes. We need to finish all this in a month’s time.” The director says.

Throughout the meeting, I could sense that Rae was completely not focused at all. She seemed to be thinking about something, I guess she was quite taken aback to see me today and that I will be her partner for the next four months or so.

I was determined to win her back. I don’t know how but I know I can do this. I know she loves me too; I just need to find a way for her to express it out.

After the meeting, while walking out of the gate, I turned towards Rae.

“I’ll send you home.” I said.

She looked up at me with her brows furrowed. “Cho Kyuhyun, I don’t know how you did it, but don’t think that by partnering up with me, I’ll go back to your side. I don’t know what your motive is for joining this mission trip but I’m doing this for the children. I don’t want you to ruin anything.” Rae said as her lips trembled.

I was so heartbroken when she said all those words. I have hurt her so deeply; she truly hates me to the core.

“I’m doing for the children as well!” I protested.

“I’m sorry but I don’t even know if I should believe you.” She said harshly.

I looked up at Rae and stared right into her eyes. I could see her sadness and her anger and guilt washed all over me.

“Rae, I know this entire thing was my fault okay? But please, this mission trip is not something I will kid about.” I replied.

“We’ll see about that.” She said softly and walked off.

I stared at Rae as she left me standing at the entrance of the children’s home.

Oh Rae, do you have any idea how much I wanted to just pull you in for a tight hug? To rest my head on your shoulders? To breathe in your scent? To keep my arms tightly at your waist without letting go of you. And to stay in that position forever.

A week after.

 

Park Shin Rae’s POV.

I AM STILL SHOCKED THAT KYU WAS AT THE CHILDREN’S HOME AND WE’RE PARTNERS FOR THE UPCOMING MISSION TRIP.

How am I going to survive through this?

Kyu messaged me last night. He said he wanted to go get the gifts for the children today. I wanted to get it over and done with so I agreed to meet him at my house.

That was such a stupid idea; I should have just met him at the shopping mall or something.

Kim Mi have already moved back to her own home after confirming I was well enough to be on my own.

I was brewing my peppermint tea when the doorbell rang. I took a deep breath and walked to the door. I closed an eye and peek into the peek hole.

Yup, it’s Kyu.

I brushed my fringe behind my ear and opened the door.

“You’re early?” I said.

“Morning, Rae!” He smiled as he walked into my apartment.

I blinked as I watched him. It was like a scene from the past. He would surprise me at my doorstep early in the morning with breakfast in one hand and he would come in and head straight to the kitchen as I was brewing my peppermint tea. How I missed that scene.

I blinked again.

Kyu did go straight to the kitchen. He propped himself on a high stool as he placed a paper bag on the bar counter. I closed the door slowly and made my way to the kitchen.

“I bought you red velvet cupcakes. I hope that’s alright.” He said as he took them out of the paper bag, a box of six red velvet cupcakes.

I shook my head as I stood in front of Kyu who was sitting on the high stool.

“Kyu, why are you doing this? What’s all this about? I didn’t ask you to buy anything for me. How can you just walked right into my apartment and plop yourself on my stool without asking my permission?” I said.

He looked up at me, his eyes held mine. The emotions that were seeping through his eyes were so piercingly painful that I had to look away.

I sighed.

“Do you want a cup of peppermint tea?” I asked him, knowing that whatever I said was kind of harsh to him; especially since it’s only 9am in the morning.

“That would be nice.” He said softly as he broke into a small smile.

I looked at him, still with my brows furrowed; I walked over and took a cup.

Somehow, these actions were so familiar that I continued on without stopping. I took the cup to the sugar bowl and scooped one and a half tea spoon of sugar and poured it in. Then I took the cup over to the honey pot and place one tea spoon of honey into the cup.

Lastly, I took the cup over to the teapot and poured the fragrant peppermint tea into the cup and stirred it with a spoon before placing it in front of Kyu.

Kyu stared at me continuously.

I shifted uneasily as I made my cup of peppermint tea before sitting down on a high stool across Kyu.

I looked up and he hasn’t touch his cup of tea yet.

“What?” I said.

“Y-You remembered.” Kyu said as he nodded to his cup of peppermint tea.

Then I gasped, realizing what I just did.

I just made Kyu his usual cup of peppermint tea like in the past. Every step was the same. Every measure of sugar and honey was like before.

I shrugged it off as I drank my cup of peppermint tea.

“I’ll go and change then we can go off to get the gifts.” I said as I quickly made my way back to my room.

What a relief to be in my room. I sighed as I quickly changed.

When I was done, I slowly opened the door and tip toed out to the living room.

Kyu was washing the cups in the kitchen and placing them on the rack. I stood there and watched him.

How I used to hug him from behind when he was doing the dishes after a meal at my house. That warmth was so hard to forget.

Maybe, I shouldn’t be so harsh towards him. Maybe we can still be friends?

Friend sounded like a much safer word than lover.

“I’m ready.” I said out loud as Kyu was rubbing his hands in the hand towel.

He turned around and smile.

“Then, let’s go!” He said and I nodded, following him along.

“What should we get the children? What gifts would they like?” I asked, trying to break the ice this time.

Kyu looked at me and said, “Since we’re going to build a school for the children in the mountains. Why not we get them stationary and school bags? Something to motivate them to go to school as well?”

I thought for awhile, that wasn’t a bad idea in fact it sounded like a really good idea.

I smiled unknowingly, “Okay!” I said as I started to walk in the direction of the giant bookshop in the shopping mall.

Kyu and I had quite a bit of fun in the bookshop. We had fun bickering over which items to get for the children and which type of school bags we should purchase for them as well.

We decided to put all the items in the school bag so when we present the gifts to the children, it will be a packed school bag. But to save the baggage weight and space, we decided to pack the items when we reach the country.

Kyu was paying at the counter while I was browsing some books by the corner; my eyes were looking through the shelves until it stopped at a particular book.

I will never forget the title of this book as I took it out and held it in my hand.

This was the book and brought Kyu and I together. After I found out about Kyu, I threw that book I have at home at the corner of my room so I won’t have to see it ever again.

Looking back at this one week, I met Kyu at the children’s home twice. There was something different about Kyu. Something that I have never seen before.

It’s his passion.