Bullet.

A Careless Mistake

 

Everything moved so quickly that I couldn’t even grasp what actually happened.

My aunt took out her gun from her pant’s back pocket and pointed it at me. And all of a sudden, the moment my aunt pulled the trigger, Rae hugged me and turned us around, letting the bullet hit her in her lower abdomen. NO.

And the police officers barged in at that moment, arresting my aunt immediately.

 When my PI called me awhile ago, confirming with me the fact that my aunt was the one who killed my parents, I told him to help me call a batch of police officers to this café.

“Kyu! This is not the end! It’s just the beginning! HAHAAHAH.” My aunt laughed as she was dragged away.

But that was not what I was thinking about right now.

The body that was holding me tightly lost control against me and collapsed on the floor.

Rae blocked the bullet.

No. No. No. No. NO. 

She saved my life.

And now she’s bleeding profusely.

I quickly squatted down and brought her into my arms.

“RAE! RAE, WAKE UP, YOU CAN’T DIE. YOU CAN’T. I LOVE YOU, RAE! NO. DON’T CLOSE YOUR EYES.” I shouted as I brushed her fringe away.

Her shirt was soaked with blood and my arms were equally stained as well, she can’t just die like that. Tears started to stream down my cheek unknowingly.

She choked as she had problems breathing properly.

“QUICK, SOMEONE CALL THE AMBULANCE!”

I cupped her face with my free hand as I held her closely to me. “Rae, don’t worry, the ambulance is going to reach soon, okay? Don’t sleep. You understand me? I haven’t told you how much I love you yet. You can’t just leave me alone.  Rae!” I said as I caressed her cheek, it with my thumb to keep her awake.

She looked at me through her squinted eyes as she shook her head.

Rae opened and whispered, “K-Kyu. I-I wish we hadn’t met in the f-first p-place.”

Every single word was like an arrow stabbed into my chest as I felt it clenched together. It was so painful to hear those words. Especially from Rae.

I wasn’t exactly happy to meet her in the first place but after getting to know more about her, to be with her, to actually love her. I wish we have met earlier! She was someone who can complete me.

And now, Rae tells me she wish we hadn’t met in the first place.

She has the right to say that. Who was the one who came into her life and screwed it up?

Me.

I don’t even deserve her love. But I love her so much myself. I want to be selfish. I just want Rae all to myself and that’s enough.

The ambulance came and we quickly rushed Rae to the hospital.

She was immediately pushed into the emergency operating room. I wanted to go in but the nurse stopped me. “I’m sorry, only staff is allowed through here. Please be mentally prepared, the patient has lost quite a huge amount of blood.”

My hand was trembling as it ball up. My knuckles were turning white but I didn’t notice. My heart was shaking. How can I be mentally prepared now? I took a deep breath but it didn’t seem to work.

My insides were in knots, how am I going to explain to her parents?

I was pacing back and forth outside the emergency operating room when Kim Mi came running down the hospital corridor.

“What the heck happened?” Kim Mi screamed in my ear.

I calmed her down and told her everything from the start to the end.

“You what?! HOW COULD YOU DO THAT TO RAE? AND I ENCOURAGED HER ALL ALONG. THINKING YOU WERE THE RIGHT GUY FOR HER! I supported you all the way, do you know that Cho Kyu Hyun! How could you be such a disappointment! No wonder Rae said those words to you.” Kim Mi said as she shook her head.

“But I love her! I really do! I thought it was just me pretending to like her but eventually that feeling grew. And now it’s just too much to bear. I love her, Kim Mi. I really love her.” I confessed.

The operation door opened and out came the doctor. I ran forward from the benches to the doctor.

“Doc! How’s my girlfriend? Is she okay? How is she?” I attacked him with my questions of concerns.

“The patient’s condition is stabilized, if you send her in any minute later, she wouldn’t have made it but because she has lost a huge amount of blood, she won’t wake up soon.” The doctor said. I heaved a sigh of relief but I frowned at the back part of his sentence.

“Ahhh, she won’t wake up soon? Then when will she wake up?” Kim Mi asked.

“That would depend on the patient herself.” The doctor nodded and left.

Thank goodness nothing happened to Rae or else, I will hate myself forever.

She took the bullet for me.

Why did she, that silly girl.

My Rae.

Why did you turn us around? Why did you let the bullet hit you instead of me?

Do you know how much my heart ached the moment you stared at me as you collapsed onto the ground? You were bleeding so badly, I thought I was going to lose you. I don’t want to lose you at all. I want you to be by my side, both of us happy to be together.

I sat by Rae’s bedside as I placed my palm at her cheek, it. She was so pale.

“Rae, I’m so sorry.” I whispered.

“Thank goodness you’re fine but please wake up soon. It hurts to see you like this. Please.  I just want you be safe and sound. That’s all.” I said softly.

I took her hand and kissed the back of her palm as I placed her hand on my cheek. Letting her feel the warmth.

And I sat like that for the next couple of hours, whispering softly to her, waiting for her to wake up.

 

Kim Mi’s POV

Rae has been asleep for three days and two nights already. The doctor says this is normal but still! She’s just sleeping there. I don’t even know if she can hear us speak.

Kyuhyun has been there since forever. He never left her bedside. Whenever I ask him to go home or eat something, he refuses.

I was mad at him when he told me the truth, I mean, what the hell! You played with my best friend’s feelings! Now, I don’t know is he trying to impress me or what but not eating for three days and two nights while sitting by Rae’s side all the while. I think he really loves her.

“Kyuhyun, why not you go home and freshen up? You have been here for three days. Look at yourself! Do you want to look like that when Rae wakes up? Go home, take a shower, change your clothes, and then come back. Seriously.” I advised him.

“I don’t want to leave Rae. I want to be here when she wakes up.” He shrugged me off quietly.

“I’m here! I promise you, the moment she stirs, I’ll call you immediately. Go home and take a shower, you kind of stink.” I said as I twitched my nose. 

He looked up at me and placed his nose on his sleeve and wrinkled his nose.

“Okay, I’ll go back for a while but you promise, the moment anything happens, call me!” He said as he got up from the chair.

He leaned down and brushed Rae’s fringe and caressed her cheek, whispering stuff into her ear.

I turned and looked away, giving him a private moment. When I turned my head back, he pecked her cheek lightly before looking up at me, giving me a nod and then he left.

Kyuhyun might have let Rae down but I know he’s trying his best to make it up to her.

I could feel his love for her. He loves her so much and I know Rae loves him a lot too.

Rae, you are one lucky girl.