Phobias.

A Careless Mistake

 

“Kyu, you know how I don’t like talking about that.” I muttered the moment he mentioned the place he wanted to bring me to.

“Besides, you’re still sick. We can always go another time.” I continued trying to change the topic.

Ever since witnessing the incident involving Kyu’s parents and his aunt, as a kid I grew afraid of the crime scene; the beach. Any school event, family gathering or even casual outings with friends held at the beach, I would turn them down. After that day, I never liked being near the sea and the sand. It just brings back horrible memories.

I remembered having a whole week of nightmares after the incident happened with Kyu’s aunt face staring at me with her sharp cat eyes. I would wake up the next day, body sweating profusely and tears that have streamed down my cheek unknowingly in my sleep.

I never told anyone except Kim Mi about this major phobia of mine. Kyu must have guessed it. He has always wanted to spend a day with me at the beach but I would give him excuses after excuses.

I wonder if he knows it has something to do with him.

“Rae.” Kyu called.

I jolted back to reality at the sound of his soothing voice, curling at my name. Kyu placed his hand on top of mine as I settled in his lap.

“This is becoming too comfortable.” I commented casually, casually enough to change the topic.

“Rae. Tell me. Tell me what’s wrong.” He breathed.

“What?” I stammered, eyes darting from left to right.

“You know what I’m talking about, Rae. But I just want to confirm it from you. Please tell me what’s wrong. I just want to know why you get so upset and tense whenever I mentioned going to the beach…” Kyu trailed off.

He has the right to know, doesn’t he?

I squeezed his hand as I turned around to face him. “Kyu, I should have told you sooner. But it’s just that….I-I…” I stuttered.

“Rae, you can tell me. I’m here.” He said staring straight in to my eyes, eyes b with sincerity, his hand squeezing back.

“Kyu, I-I have a huge phobia of the b-beach.’ I said squeezing my eyes shut as I spoke.

Cupping my face into his palms, I felt how warm his hands were as I opened my eyes slowly. “So you’re really afraid of the beach? Rae, why are you afraid? I’m here for you. I’m here.” He said, my cheek. And then it suddenly dawned on him.

“Don’t tell me it’s because of..of my parents?” He asked.

I gulped and nodded my head hesitantly.

Kyu quickly pulled me into a tight hug. “I’m so sorry, Rae. I’m so sorry. This is all my-.” He wanted to continue but I stopped him, raising my hand, pushing him back to look at him.

“How can this be your fault, Kyu? Stop blaming yourself. It’s not your fault at all.” I cooed.

“It is. If you didn’t-..” Kyu stated and then he sighed, lowering his head.

I bit my bottom lip, bringing my fingertips to Kyu’s chin, raising his head for him to look at me.

“Cho Kyuhyun, you listen to me. It is not your fault. Do you understand?” I stated every single word clearly and firmly before tilting my head to kiss his cheek.

He turned his head slightly so he could kiss my cheek as well. “Rae.” He called.

“Don’t dare you say it’s still your fault or I’m going to get angry. Real angry.” I hissed playfully to Kyu.

“I really want to bring you to the beach.”

It was that one sentence. That one sentence was all it took to knock the breath out of me. Memories of the beach flashed in my mind, the way the water crept onto the sand and then it withdraws mysteriously. And in a spilt second I was thinking back about what happened; a figure dragging two bloody corpses along the sand, the pair of dark eyes that stared right back at me.

I hadn’t noticed how tight my knuckles were gripping together that it was turning white until I was shot back to reality.

“Rae? Rae!” Kyu called louder as his hand went above mine and squeezed my hand tightly and then releasing so he could unfold my fingers from its tightness.

Another hand of his rose and rubbed my back to comfort me.

“Kyu? I have another suggestion.” I thought about this for a while. Ever since the flight back, I have wanted to suggest this.

He my hair, then twirling it around his finger. “What is it?” He whispered in my ear.

“Let’s go visit your aunt.”

 

 

 

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hey readers *waves*

I'm backkkkkk from my holiday and I bought Kyu merchandise from the place! Heheheheh. Here's a short chapter for you! 

More longer chapters to come in the following weeeeeeeeeeek! Stay tune! :) 

Commmmmmment. 

 

 

Xoxo.