A Coincidence.

A Careless Mistake

 

It’s been three weeks. I was already back home, healing my wound. When I was leaving the hospital, I forbade Kyu to come. I created a ruckus every single time Kyu came to visit me. I know I’m being rude and whatsoever, I just didn’t want to see his face.

The moment the door bell rang, I cursed under my breath, it was either Kyu or Kim Mi. But since Kim Mi decided to stay with me, it has always been Kyu. I whined every time he comes.

And I always shook my head whenever Kim Mi wants to open the door for him.

“Why, Rae, why don’t you see him? It’s been….three weeks!” Kim Mi said.

“So?” I replied with an indifferent stare.

“Why don’t you give him a chance?” Kim Mi said.

“Must we talk about this right now?” I answered back coldly.

“Come on Rae, he knows he’s wrong! Aren’t you touched that he stayed by your side throughout everything that has happened?” I stared at my best friend as she spoke.

“Kim Mi, I thought we talked about this before! Why do you keep bringing this topic up? It’s annoying the crap out of me!” I said as I stood up from the sofa and walked into my room and slammed the door, sliding down onto the floor as tears rolled down my cheek and down my chin.

I heard Kim Mi sighed on the other side of the door.

“Rae, I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to make you upset. Please don’t get upset, it’s not good for your health. You’re still in pain. Rae? Forgive me, please.” Kim Mi cooed on the other side.

I know she didn’t meant to made me upset. I didn’t want to be upset either but my feelings got the better of me as I started to whimper and cry.

Kim Mi pushed the door slightly, “Rae? Oh, Rae.” She said as she saw me crying.

She squatted down next to me and hugged me close to her chest. “Let’s just forget about everything okay? I was just talking rubbish.” She said as she patted my back.

“I’m trying my best to forget him Kim Mi and you talk about him almost every day! It’s really difficult for me!” I said.

“Alright, alright, I won’t talk about him anymore okay?” She said as I nodded slightly.

For the following weeks, it stayed the same. My mum came to visit me once during the week and she was shocked when she found out what happened. Got a huge scolding from her and she blamed it on herself as she allowed me to lived on my own.

I comforted her, saying it isn’t her fault but she was glad Kim Mi was there with me. She even cursed Kyu which I tried to stop her from doing so. After I went into my room to rest, I could hear Kim Mi outside speaking to my mum about Kyu. Kim Mi was really supporting Kyu.

“Aunty, I know this is not a really good time to talk about this but Kyuhyun is really a good man for Rae. I’ve seen him around her, once in an earlier stage of their relationship and another closer to the accident period.

The way he behaved during those two times were completely different. The second time before the accident happened, I could really feel his love for her unlike the first time.

The way he stands around her; he had this protective aura around her, I don’t know how to explain this, and you have to see it for yourself, the way he stared at her when she talks, when she flips her hair. It’s something.

I know what he did to her was really cruel and selfish and I myself hated him when he confessed to me his wrong doings. But throughout the three days and two nights that Rae was asleep in the hospital; he sat by your daughter’s bedside, holding her hand. He never ate throughout the entire time, you know.

Kyuhyun really fell in love with her, like deeply in love with her. I’m not kidding. And I know Rae loves him too. She just needs time.”

Was Kim Mi trying to tell me all this throughout the past few weeks? That she could sense the change in Kyu? After listening to Kim Mi, I laid in my bed, covered up in my blanket, thinking through what she said.

The way he behaved during those two times were completely different. The second time before the accident happened, I could really feel his love for her unlike the first time.

The way he stands around her; he had this protective aura around her, I don’t know how to explain this, and you have to see it for yourself, the way he stared at her when she talks, when she flips her hair. It’s something.”

Now that Kim Mi said it, memories were flooding my head as I unknowingly agreed along with her. There was really a difference in the way he behaved throughout.

Right from the very beginning, he was already friendly, I guess it was a tactic for me to feel comfortable around him and he was observant. But recently, his observance skills do not just remain on the superficial stuff on the surface, it goes deeper.

Sometimes, I could be sitting at the corner of the sofa after having a bad day and normally, Kyu would just ask casually if I’m alright but recently, he don’t even need to ask. He knows it right away, so he’ll just scoot over to my side and place his arms around me, bringing me into an embrace and we’ll just stay like that for a few minutes until I break the hug and then he’ll ask if I feel better, knowing that I’m upset.

All the small little details, he notices; brushing my fringe behind my ears, wiping a stain at the corner of my lips, eyelash on my face. Looking back, recently he became more loving? More caring towards me?

True or not true, he still hurt me deeply. With great love, comes great hate. He should know that.  But I can’t bring myself to hate him. I don’t want to hate him but I just don’t want to see him.

After my close encounter with death, I started helping out at a children’s home, an orphanage so to say. I wanted to do something meaningful. Seeing all those children really breaks my heart but yet the innocence of all smiles comes from them so naturally.

I’ve not seen Kyu in three months. I missed him. I really do. Sometimes I feel so lonely in my bedroom that I cuddle my bolster and cry myself to sleep.  I heard from Kim Mi that he’s busy with work; I guess that’s his way of distracting himself.  She contacts him now and then since he would check up on me through her. And Kim Mi would tell me what’s going on with him too.

I know it’s weird but I don’t know what to say to him if we met face to face.

I sighed as I walked through the gates of the children’s home. I promised to give them something today so I baked cupcakes!

I was about to walk to the function room where we have our usual gathering when I saw the whole group of children at the playground so I turned around and walked in that direction.

I smiled as a few started to notice me, waving their hands in the air. “Shin Rae! Shin Rae! Shin Rae!” They called.

I waved back as they start to run towards me.

“What did you bring for us today?”

“You remembered, right?”

“Is it food?”

“Toys!”

“What is it?”

They were all crowded around me, I laughed as I took out huge plastic container from my bag.

“Ta da! I made you guys cupcakes! Come and take one each!”  I said with a smile.

“YAYYYYYYYYYYY!” They said.

“No pushing!” I said as some of them were quite eager. I offered the remaining pieces to the care givers as they thanked me.

I spotted my favourite child in the group, a young little girl named Hana.

“Hana~” I called out to her.

She turned her head as her long hair flipped to the other side.

“Shin Rae.” She said softly.

“Look at you, the cream!” I said as I helped her wipe her lips.

“Thank you.” She whispered.

Smiling at her, I noticed she had a sticker on her shirt.

“What is this, Hana? Who gave you this sticker?” I asked her curiously.

“Hmmm? A boy gave it to me!” She said happily, taking a bite of the cupcake.

I laughed, she was so adorable, and I bet all the boys here liked her too.

“Which boy?” I giggled to her.

Hana looked around before pointing behind me. “That boy!”

I turned my head immediately to find a guy’s back facing me. He seems like a volunteer, just like me! That’s a good thing, these children need more love, I wondered if he was new so I made my way to him, standing directly behind him, I taped his shoulder.

“Hello, are you volunteering here too? I’m Shin Rae, Park Shin Rae.”

The guy turned his back immediately as I spoke and it was someone who I wasn’t expecting to see.

“K-Kyu?” I said as I dropped my container of cupcakes on the floor.

He looked shocked too but he quickly composed himself and gave me a weak smile before squatting to pick up the container. I stared at him, still blinking, still shocked.

“None of the cupcakes dropped out of the box, here.” He said, pushing the container to me.

“T-Thanks.” I managed to mutter out.

“Can I have one?” He asked, trying to break the ice.

I blinked.

“Yeah, sure.” I said meekly as I offered him the container.

What was I doing? How can I be so weak? How can he make me be so lost for words? I sneered at myself. This is getting awkward.

The care giver somehow noticed our interaction so she quickly got the children back into the function room and left Kyu and I at the playground alone.

I closed the container and placed it at the top of the slide.

“How’re you?” Kyu started.

I looked up at him and met his gaze.

“I’m fine. Thank you. You?” I replied.

“I’m fine too.” He said.

And then there was silence.

This is getting really awkward. I stared at him as he looked out somewhere else. He lost weight, his face got sharper, his eye bags got heavier.  I couldn’t take it anymore, staring at him like this.

“I-I think I’m going in.” I said as I turned around.

He pulled my hand.

I froze.

“Rae? Are you free tonight?”  He asked softly.

I tried to pull my hand out of his grip but he held on tighter.

I turned my head to the side, “I’m sorry, I-I’ve got plans tonight.”

After hearing what I said, Kyu slowly let go of my hand. “Sorry.”

I gave him a second look before running back inside the function room.

 

Cho Kyuhyun’s POV

I knew she would reject me. I was just trying my luck to see what she would say.

After three months of not going to look for her, I actually bumped into Rae here, in the children’s home. I knew she didn’t want to see me so I granted that wish of hers, I stopped bothering her.

I didn’t know she was volunteering here as well, I started after Rae’s accident, I needed a distraction and I figured I should give something back to society so I came here.

I missed her. I really do. My heart ached so much when she dropped her container because she saw me. Like she had seen a ghost.

Her container! She forgot to bring her container back with her! I was walking back to the function room when the director of the children’s home approached me.

“Kyuhyun! I’m currently preparing a mission trip overseas to build a school for the village children in the mountains and I need strong man like you! The lady you were talking to just now, Shin Rae is going as well! Want to join?” The director said with a smile.

Is this a blessing in disguise?

I thought for a while, maybe I could win Rae back through this mission trip!

“Alright! I’m in on one condition!” I said with a smile.

“Really? What’s that?” The director looked back at me, puzzled by my answer.

“Can I partner Rae?” I said, telling the director a little bit of our problem and how much I want her back.

“Ahhhh, so now you want to get her back? Alright alright, I’ll partner you guys up!”

“Thank you so much!” I said.

“We’re having our first meeting later in the evening, so just stick around here yeah?” The director said and left.

So this was her plan tonight? To have a meeting about the mission trip. Hmmm. 

I went back to the function room and joined the children and Rae in some activities. Rae avoided me throughout the entire time.

I smiled on the inside.

Rae, I know I hurt you deeply and I let you go but I can’t take this, I can’t take it being alone. I need you. I’m going to grab whatever opportunity I can to get you back to me. 

 

 

 

 

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hey readers *waves*

Sorry, I took a while to update this chapter! Was having a busy weekend! So ta da! A longer chapter for you guys! Did you guys watch the Saturday Night Live Korea SuJu episode? I was laughing from beginning to end! Kyu was so prettty! :) ^^ 

Heh. How's the story so far?

Remember to COMMMMMMMEENNNNNNNNTTTT! 

I always make it a point to friend my subscribers! So those who subscribed to me, check your friend requests! Accept me! :) 

 

Xoxo.