If You're Happy, I'm Happy.

A Careless Mistake

 

I rushed home as fast as I could. The moment I reach home, I jumped into the shower and the tap and let the water run. Kim Mi was right, I stink like a dog.

After changing to a fresh new set of clothing, I was about to go out of my house when something caught my eye.

A photo frame that I displayed in the kitchen.

It was my aunt and I during our first vacation together. I was only twelve years old in that photograph.

I sighed as I took the frame in my hands and stared at the both of our smiles. We were happy. I never knew she actually had another plan in her mind to kill me.

The woman that took care of me for 18 years of my life, who saw me graduate through all parts of my education, until I got my Masters; she was there for the ceremony. I’ve long taken her as my second mother, since I’ve lost my parents when I was young.

And she was the one who told me the news. Because she was the one who killed them.

Anger rose in me as I thought back. How can she do that? Using me to kill Rae just because she was a child witness to her crime? I didn’t understand my aunt anymore, I thought I did but now I’m just confused.

This was how Rae felt when I told her the truth, the feeling of being cheated on. It was hurtful. I was blind, fooled by my aunt to think that Rae would actually kill my parents. How stupid am I?

I placed the photo frame facing down as I started to walk to the doorway.

After that day, Rae said she loved me. And I realized that I loved her too, I started to take photos together whenever we went out. And I went to print out all the photos.

Putting the photographs into wooden photo frames, I hung them against the empty wall facing the shoe cabinet at the entrance of my home.

I hung them leaving no gap between, rows after row. The wall was packed with all our photos. I looked at all of them as I smiled. Rae looked lovely in each and every photograph. If only I could see her smiling like that now.

“Rae, please wake up soon.” I whispered as I caressed one of the photographs. I quickly wore my shoe and left my house, rushing back to the hospital.

I walked into Rae’s ward and it was just like how I left it. Kim Mi had bought me a packed lunch from the hospital cafeteria. I thanked her as I opened it and started eating. With the food aroma and actually tasting the food, my appetite started to return.

“Chew slowly, you’re going to get choke.” Kim Mi said as she watched me eat.

I swallowed and nodded, eating at a slower pace.

“So, what are you planning on doing now?” Kim Mi asked as she sat by Rae’s side, massaging her fingers.

“I’ll wait for her to wake up first. That’s the most important thing. I want her to be safe and sound before deciding what to do. But considering what she said to me, I doubt she wants to get back together with me ever again. I hurt her too much. And I don’t blame her for that. It was my entire fault to begin with. She saved me from a bullet. What more could I ask for?” I replied as I ate the last spoonful of rice and closed the lunch box.

“You do know that Rae loves you too right? Or else why would she save you in the first place?” Kim Mi explained.

“Kim Mi, I know you’re just being nice, you don’t need to comfort me. I know how she feels. She hates me to the core right now for lying to her for eight whole months, for plotting something behind her back. I love her but I want her to be happy. If not being with me makes her happy then I’ll give her that. I just want her to be happy. If she’s happy, I’ll be happy too.” I said sadly as I got up and threw the lunch box in the bin.

“What? You’re not going to get her back?” Kim Mi stopped massaging Rae’s hand and stared at me in anger.

“No, I’m just saying. I know she hates me. I doubt she wants to be with me anymore so-..”

“So if she gets together with another guy, you’ll be fine with it?” Kim Mi asked with a shocked expression on her face.

I flinched when she said “another guy”. I don’t want that. I didn’t like the sound of that. I don’t want someone else touching Rae, I don’t want someone else calling Rae ‘his’. I don’t want someone else kissing Rae, my Rae. 

But if that what makes Rae happy, I’ll be fine with it.

“If only she’s happy with it.” I said with my head down.

“You’re getting jealous here.” Kim Mi responded. I looked up at her and looked at Rae.

From the corner of my eye, I think I saw Rae’s fingers twitched.

I ran to her bedside, “Rae? Rae? Rae! Can you hear me? Rae!” I said after double confirming that her finger was moving, I could see her eyeballs rolling behind her eyelids. She was getting up! Thank goodness!

Kim Mi quickly went to get the doctor the moment she saw me shouting Rae’s name.

The doctor came in and saw Rae twitched her finger. He nodded at the both of us before taking up his torch light and shining it into Rae’s eyes.

“The patient should be waking up soon. Don’t worry. She’s fine.” The doctor said.

I looked over and true enough, Rae’s eyes opened slowly as it tried to adapt to the sudden brightness in the environment. She has been asleep for three days and two nights. I was so worried but now seeing her awake, a burden left my shoulders.

She blinked her eyes a few times as she opened them fully, taking in her surroundings.

“W-Where am I-I?” She said very softly.

“You’re in the hospital.” The doctor replied.

“Miss Park, do you feel any pain in your head? Or anywhere else?” The doctor questioned Rae, checking for any concerns to be taken care of.

“No pain. But my stomach area is slightly numb.” Rae answered.

Of course it was numb, that was the place the bullet was shot at. Thankfully, the clothes Rae wore that day kind of helped her. Her leather vest on the outside saved her life as well. If she was just wearing a thin cotton tee shirt, I don’t even want to think about what would have happened.

“Okay. Let me just check again.” The doctor said as he shone the torch light into Rae’s eyes once again.

“She should be fine. We’ll observe her for one more day. If everything is fine, she can be discharge by tomorrow early evening.” The doctor said.

Kim Mi and I thanked him as he left the ward.

“Rae! I’m so happy you’re awake! Do you know how worried I was? Do you know how worried Kyuhyun was?” Kim Mi said as she held Rae’s hand in her own.

The moment she heard my name, Rae turned to look at me before looking back at Kim Mi.

“What’s he doing here? I don’t want to see him in my ward. Ask him to leave please, Kim Mi.” Rae said coldly.

I was right. She hates me. She hates me so much that she doesn’t even want to see me. My heart ached as it squeezed tightly in my chest.

“Rae…” I called out to her.

She turned her head to face the opposite side.

“I don’t want to see you, please leave.” She hissed.

I could see Kim Mi tugging on her hand but Rae shrugged it off, eyeing her.

“It’s alright. I’ll leave. Just promise me you’ll be fine and healthy, kay? Kim Mi, please take good care of her for me. Thanks.” I said, leaning in quickly to brush my lips against Rae’s hair which she hissed at me for doing so. I withdrew and walked out of the room immediately.

 

Park Shin Rae’s POV

“Rae, wasn’t that too harsh?” Kim Mi said.

“Kim Mi! Whose side are you on? You’re my best friend. You should be siding me, not Ky-not him!” I lashed out, not wanting to say his name.

“He told me everything, from beginning to end. I hated him for doing all that to you, seriously, I mean it. But judging from the way he behaved when he was in the hospital, keeping you company, I don’t hate him anymore, Rae.” Kim Mi told me.

“Kim Mi, he lied to me for eight whole months! How do you want me to trust him again?” I said, looking away.

“You lost a lot of blood, Rae. So you were asleep for three days and two nights? Kyuhyun sat by your bedside, holding your hand the entire time, the entire three days and two nights without eating anything until this morning when I asked him to go home and take a bath because he kind of stink.” I turned my head and stared at Kim Mi as she spoke.

Kyu sat by my bedside for three days, two nights without eating anything?

“Trust me, I’m not kidding. He really did that. Each time I encouraged him to go home, he refuses. He said he wants to be there when you wake up, he says he won’t leave you alone. He even said he doesn’t mind leaving you if that what makes you happy, but I know you won’t be happy without him, right Rae?” Kim Mi continued.

I wanted to cry when I heard that.

But I don’t want to see him at the moment. The moment I opened my eyes previously and saw Kyu standing by my bedside, I was happy he wasn’t hurt but then his presence reminded me what he did to me and my mood changed. 

 

 

 

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hey readers! *waves*

How's the story coming along? The previous chapters were so exciting wasn't it? I love cliffhangers. 

Remember to COMMMMENTTT below! I love reading your comments! 

In less than ten days, this story have reached pass forty awesome subscribers and over six hundred views! Thank you! Thank you! 

New readers, please subscribe! 

 

Xoxo.