Another Discovery.

A Careless Mistake

 

I really missed Kyu. I mean, I’m angry with him and I feel really cheated that he lied to me but I miss his presence, I miss being together with him. 

The times when we curled up on the sofa in my living room and watched movie after movie; and I would bury my head in the crook of his head while his arm hugged my shoulder to keep us close.

Going through a single day without thinking about him is so difficult because everything that I do reminds me of him! From the time I wake up, I miss his scent; sometimes Kyu stayed over at my house and I love waking up to his scent and his breath against my forehead as his arms were around my waist.

Eating alone is fine with me; I ate alone before Kyu came anyway but that emptiness on the opposite chair wasn’t quite right either.

And when I go book shopping, that was the toughest. Because Kyu and I had similar interests, or I thought we had similar interests.

Just yesterday, I was at the giant bookstore when I took a book off the display shelf, totally forgetting that Kyu wasn’t around, I asked out loud if he had read this before and then it struck me that he wasn’t with me; how embarrassing.

But then, I realized that all those memories, all those times that were spent together with Kyu could be just one of his plans to get closer to me and it made me more upset.

I finally switched on my phone after three days where he last called me. An incoming spam of text messages, missed calls, emails. It was flooding into my phone so I let it settled for a while as I went to brew my morning cup of peppermint tea.

After putting the sugar cube in it and stirring with the spoon, I checked back with my phone.

Not exactly very surprised but woah:

47 Missed Calls. 18 New Emails. 34 New Text Messages.

Alright, let me read through emails first since some might be work-related.

After half an hour of looking through all the emails which were all work-related; I’m going to be busy for the next couple of days as I need to get started on designing and drawing out new blueprints, sketches for my clients.

After that, I clicked on the missed call icon.

No prize to guessing the majority of the missed calls belonged to whom. It was definitely……Kyu. I groaned on the inside.

He missed call me 38 times in three days. I thought I made myself clear in the last phone call, I thought I told him it was over between us. Why did he kept calling?

Now, text messages. And again, no points to guessing the sender of the majority texts belongs to whom. Kyu send me 26 text messages.  4 were from Kim Mi and the rest were work-related.  Kim Mi was worried why I haven’t been talking to her. We always had our everyday chat but I kind of went missing in action for three days and my best friend was getting kind of worried too.

I was about to delete all of Kyu’s messages when I saw the most recent one; which was send today, like a few minutes before I switched on my phone.

Rae, please come over to this place. I’ll wait for you to come. This is very important. Please come.

Was that address his house? I was very tempted to go; I really want to hear what he has to say but somehow my mind was so reluctant.

I paced back and forth in my own apartment. Should I go?

What was he going to tell me?

Was he going to confess to me about his entire private identity that he has been keeping all this while?

I bit my bottom lip, unsure of myself.

It has to be something about the incident when I was a young girl as I thought back.

I heard a gunshot as I lifted my head to look at the scene in front of me. I was just playing by the corner of the beach when I heard that super loud sound.

I saw this person, wearing a mask, like something mummy would wear on Halloween to scare the rest of the other little children. The person was dragging a man and a woman to somewhere.

That was this big patch of red stain, I gasped as it occurred to me that it was blood! This person was a baddie! This person killed that uncle and aunty!

I screamed and the person turned his or her head to look in my direction.

The person’s eyes widened after spotting me. I must have found out about this person’s secret.

I quickly ran off, as fast as my feet could take me as I ran to the crowded part of the beach where the person couldn’t find me. I shivered in my bathing suit as my mummy scolded me for wandering off.

As we were packing to go home, my daddy wanted to take a family photo so he got a passer-by to help us take a photo.

We got into position as we smiled while holding up a peace sign for the camera, capturing a fun day at the beach. The passer-by who happened to be a lady, took our photo and as the camera left her face, I gasped and in a breath. That pair of eyes. And the lady glared at me, like she remembered me for who I am.

That I was the one who caught her in her act of crime.

She lifted an eyebrow as she continued to stare at me before parting her lips to say, “You have a very beautiful daughter.” She complimented me in front of my parents. My parents thanked her with a smile and urged me to reply.

“T-thank y-you.” I stuttered towards this frightening and intimidating stranger. She squatted in front of me at eye level, curling her lips into a smile.

 A smile which creep the hell out of me when I was a little girl.

I still remembered her face until now.

I shook my head to forget that terrifying memory. If Kyu was keeping tabs on me because of this incident, it made me more curious. Why was he doing that? What was his purpose? How he is even related to this incident?

Oh yes, the phone call from his PI.

The PI said something about “When your parents died” thinking that he was talking to Kyu but I picked up the call instead!

I let that dialogue settle in my mind as I processed it. My eyes widened as I knew how Kyu is related to this incident.

The couple that I saw got shot was Kyu’s parents!

I got to tell him about this stranger that I met when I was young as I quickly grabbed my purse and my mobile phone as I dashed out of the door to the address he gave me.