S1: Chapter 28

y Beautiful Dangerous

 

Angry dull clouds splayed across the morning sky as rain poured down. Thousands upon thousands of tiny droplets drizzled down onto Jessica's back, forming a small clear pool on her arched back. Her lips were slightly parted as she slowly breathed out, all the while staring at the unconscious girl beneath her. Jessica's hair, heavy and dampened by rain, fell waywardly to gravity and loose strands clung to her cheeks and some had made its way down towards Sunny's face.

 

Palms flat against either side of Sunny's head and as well as her knees, she continued to gaze lovingly down upon Sunny's ashen face. The slightly parted, pale lips and wet forehead. Those belonged to her. The scent. The tiny black dot on her left cheek. Those also belonged to her. The full cheeks and cute nose. Those were hers. Everything and anything that pronounced itself on Sunny's face belonged to her--or should have. 

 

She watched as a heavy glister escaped from the corner of the girl's eye. Was Sunny crying? or was it the rain sharing her sorrow? 

 

Whatever it was, Jessica did not care. She closed the distance between Sunny's forehead and her lips and savored the brief contact they shared. It must've lasted no more than a second but she believed that it was an overdue second. It might have been a small peck on the forehead to anyone watching, but she knew it meant more. 

 

It meant that she cared--whether she had been on their side or not. It meant that she would be there--a gallant knight in dark armor--always protecting, always watching, always hers. It meant that, above all else, she respected her. Caring, respect and her love. Sunny had earned them all but it pained Jessica that she could not give it back at the moment.

 

Jessica pushed herself up onto her feet as a loud thud sounded behind her. The loose platform they stood on rocked from side to side and Sunny's body could not help but sway. Jessica paused, before turning to face the intruder. She and Sunny had fallen from high up. They were destined to have fallen to their deaths, together. And Jessica had thought that it was a great way to end it all. However, some unknown super power that didn't belong to mankind or anything on this earth had decided that the two should live and play out their roles in the sad tale called life, on but a small platform that had been left their because the window cleaner's could not be bothered to finish their work on time. What coincidence...

 

"Fany ah..." she greet with that same incredulous smile she gave Sunny on the rooftop. 

 

"You've got a lot of talking to do before the sun rises," Tiffany vexed, ignoring Jessica.

 

"I think I've warranted the need to not talk any further," Jessica calmly replied. "My actions have spoken louder than any words I could say to you."

 

As her last words escaped , Tiffany lashed forward with an unrelenting horizontal swipe, closing the distance between them with a single swing. Her steps were controlled as she maneuvered above Sunny body, taking care to not step on Sunny. 

 

Jessica snapped under the sword and lurched herself onto the other side of the thin rocking platform. She had to control the fight if she did not want Tiffany to blow a hole in the sky and destroy everything in sight--her and Sunny. A silver glint caught her attention from behind and she turned at once. The blade nipped her left cheek, drawing a thin red line. 

 

Jessica leaped back but Tiffany gave her no leeway and closed the distance between them immediately. Her back smashed into the platform railing as Tiffany rose her blade in the air. A vertical slash came down and Jessica forced her exhausted body to roll to the side. 

 

Steel dug through the metal railing like a scalding knife through flesh. Jessica looked up in astonish. Tiffany was hell bent into making her pay. Jessica snapped under when the blade came close to her neck. She rolled forward and sprung onto her feet, twisting in midair to land and face Tiffany. 

 

A blur of steel came from the front and forced her to take a step back. However, that became her undoing. She had forgotten about Sunny's body behind her and tripped back. She landed on her and then all was still, except for the two women's beating heart. 

 

They stared at each other--or rather glared. Tiffany's piercing gaze never left hers, so she snapped her eyes in a different direction. However, her eyes landed on Sunny's face. 

 

"Do you like what you see?" Tiffany asked, spite dripping from her words.

 

Jessica's eyes remained fixed. The love of her life in front of her eyes and she wanted to do nothing else but lean forward and caress those full cheeks. She wanted to say, "Yes," to Tiffany's question but that would betray what she was about to do. Instead she asked, "Why didn't you cut me just then? You had plenty of opportunities." 

 

Those words stung Tiffany and she took a step back, as Jessica stood. She closed the distance between them until their lips were inches apart. The best friends shared a brief eye contact before Tiffany's opened to speak. However, her words never made it out. 

 

A twisting blur shrouded her vision and the next thing she knew, a solid foot slammed into her chest. Her lungs caved in as she tried to draw a breath, however, they groaned in protest. Pure acid filled and the burning sensation quickly spread to her eyes, stinging them with salty tears. Stumbling back from the immense impact, she felt the cold railing dig into her lower back. 

 

Another second flew by and she watched helplessly as Jessica spun on her heel, rotating at a frightfully, and slammed into her chest a second time with her foot. The railing buckled and then gave way to her weight. Tiffany found herself momentarily suspended at the peak of ascension. It was then that she looked back at Jessica. 

 

All she saw was the same icy gaze. 

 

And then the plunge.

 

***

 
The large metallic bird hovered quietly over Seoul. Its paper-thin, steel blades sliced through the air with precise easy. Tiny droplets of water that fell never touched the aesthetically pleasing steel for they were ripped apart by the sheer velocity of the rotating blur. Dawn had approached and crept up from behind their backs to kindled the sky in dim light that penetrated grey clouds.
 
 
The air was thick with silence on the rooftop where Yuri laid. The girl had been there for a good twenty minutes now, taking shots at the Organization's men from over four-hundred meters away. Easy. They moved with sluggish movements and their wasted steps were their undoing. However, a moment ago, Seohyun had called in for her to shoot down a helicopter...that...that was a near impossible feat, for anyone else other than herself.
 
 
The wind had picked up at the worst possible time when her scope landed on the helicopter flying away from the Organization's building. That would be a problem. A little bit to the left, she noted and adjusted. Soft drizzling rain that would do nothing but hamper the trajectory of her shot. Hmm...aim a bit higher, she thought and did so. Now...there was the problematic sunlight that fed into her scope like a parasite. Her vision would surely be altered and those previous, small adjustments might've gone for naught.
 
 
When light entered the scope, refracting off the sniper's lens, her vision would have been changed entirely. What she had previously seen would be altered by a hair's breath but taking into account that the helicopter was five-hundred meters away...the line of shot would sway right off the radar.
 
 
"Screw it," Yuri spat. She ripped the sniper rifle from the miniature tripod and held it aloft in her hands. The cool plastic felt heavy in her palms. Gravity worked without remorse on the weapon, dragging the rifle towards the floor. It took her all to hold the weapon high and her aim true. Squinting, she spun around in some God forsaken direction, completely outside the radius of the shot. 
 
It was all down to gut intuition by now. Wind. Sunlight. Trajectory. They all could not be calculated anymore, and if she took her sweet time, reaching the helicopter was out of the question. Yuri drew a bated breath, closed her eyes and exhaled out through her nose. She felt ten times lighter in a mere second and pressed down on the trigger. 
 
The machine recoiled frightfully when the energy travel around inside the chamber and propelled the tiny bullet out into open air. She didn't need to see the bullet as it exited. In her mind, the small spec flickered off at the speed of sound, smashing the barrier of wind and everything around it. Yuri could see it clearly as the bullet drew an arc in the sky and curved with the wind beating on it, and then, at last...puncture straight through the helicopter. 
 
Where? Where else could a lone bullet hit to take out an entire helicopter? 
 
The bullet struck the mast, through and through, and ripped the steel propeller blades from the main body, severing the entire helicopter. A glorious sight awaited her when she opened her eyes. And although she knew it wasn't a clean hit, for the helicopter began to twist and turn awkwardly in the air, but the descend was inevitable. The blade spun in wayward directions and at last struck the side of the Organization's building. The blade gouged a vertical slit on the side and then detaching, fell to the ground. However, the main body had somehow lodged into the side of the building.
 
She couldn't assume whether or not Lee SooMan died from the impact, and spoke through the mic.  
 
", Seo. The helicopter went down but I can't confirm whether SooMan is dead!"  
 
***
 
Thank you for reading and supporting this lil' story of ours. If you've liked it so far, a simple click here would make us really happy.