S1: Chapter 22

y Beautiful Dangerous

An hour earlier

 

The very ground Sunny stood on shook itself in time with her heart beat. Swaying to the side, her shoulder met the half broken walls of their destroyed mansion. Bullets and firearms and blades were littered on the floor everywhere; it was a sight to behold. She glanced to the side and stared questioningly at her sisters, who were in the midst of discussing amongst themselves on their next course of action. Are they seriously thinking of attacking the Organization head-on, just hours after they have recovered? A look to her left brought her to a grandfather clock lying face-up on the ground. Its glass covering shattered into a million pieces, some inside and some scattered outside. 3 o'clock it read. The skies were still blackened with night, signaling that it was still the opportune time to strike. 

 

Sunny pushed herself away from the wall, garnering the attentions of her sisters as she walked out of the room. She heard footsteps behind her. One. Two. Three. Four. Five. Six. Seven... Seven footsteps that followed her out the mansion and into the darkness. No one spoke but everyone knew. Silently, they gathered near the van. A sizable vehicle which held most of their firearms. Again, no one spoke as one by one they entered. 

 

Sunny took the rear, gathering her equipments along the way. She sat alone near the doors at the back of the van. Tiffany never parted with Taeyeon as they entered next, followed by Sooyoung. Hyoyeon took charge and hopped in the driver's seat with Seohyun riding shotgun. The last to enter was Yoona who was helping Yuri into the seat. Sunny watched the door for a sign of one more. Eagerly. Anticipating. Hoped. All those were vanquished when the sliding door was swung along the ridged of its tracks and closed. Never to let anybody else in; a reminder of her loss. 

 

The ride was silent until Taeyeon took in a profound breath and spoke. "The nine of us," she caught herself, however, too late. Sunny's fist balled into her thighs, jaw clenched tight and eyes looking dead ahead with sorrow. "The eight of us... will enter straight through the front. I've discussed the sequence with Hyo already. Seo, Yoong and I will stay behind and brief you on the situation. Hyo will be staying behind to clear the first floor while the four of you will head straight for Him. Take down... anyone... who gets in the way. If we don't take Him out, they will come at us again."

 

***

 

One minute earlier

 

"Yuri unnie," came Yoona's voice through her earpiece. She was sitting this one out tonight but not entirely. Positioned five-hundred meters away from the Organization's structure on a rooftop of some random hotel, she was sitting in wait. Can't shoot? There was no such thing for Yuri, with or without a broken arm. Placing the Express999 Intervention on a stable and solid surface that had the optimal view of the area in front of her, she maneuvered herself into a comfortable posture. It was going to be a long night and she could not afford to take her eyes of the scope once hell broke loose. 

 

"You have three minutes until the others reach the drop zone."

 

"Roger, Yoong."

 

"Yuri ah."

 

"Yes?"

 

"Don't miss."

 

Yuri smiled. A miss coming from her? As if. She had done a thorough check before in the van and a moment ago on the conditions of her sniper system. The barrel had been cleaned twice, scope checked for the tiniest bit of dust particle and the ammunitions were polished for any anomalies. Nothing could go wrong on her side. She would be taking out anything and everything that moved on Yoona's instruction. 

 

Yuri closed her eyes and turned off her microphone, giving her a minute or two to finish up on calming herself. She took in a deep breath and let air wash out through her nostrils. This was good. But she could not stop the shaking hands that gripped her like nothing else. It wasn't for the fact that they would be going head on against Korea's biggest assassination organization and of course, the most powerful but it was the fact that Jessica was taking their side. Jessica. The girl who has been there since her first day of entering the Organization. Jessica. The girl who made her feel safe when nothing was right. Jessica. The girl who, despite her cold demeanor, has given her so much love, as a sister.

 

"Yuri ah!"

 

Her eyes opened.

 

***

 

Present

 

The van went crashing into the entrance, shattering the glass that surrounded the front into a million pieces and then everything went silent as it skidded to a halt, leaving a searing trail of black rubber. A group of security guards stopped at whatever they were doing and bewilderedly stared. It took their mind a few seconds to process a van entering the complex in the most fashionable manner but then, it was too late. The door was swung open and out came four shadows flying across the floor.

 

A shot was fired from a distance and a man crumbled into a heap within a second. In that same second, two knives came hurling at them. The first struck the wall beside one of the men's head, he turned to look but never made it out to be a knife as the other impaled straight through his brain, pinning him like a doll against the wall. 

 

The life of two men ended within a single second, before they could even react. As the clock ticked at another second, a shot was wildly returned, hissing through the four shadows like soft wisps of smoke. Another second ticked and a blade was spun through the air, the edge swishing gracefully before puncturing through another's head. Death came as a hurricane and ended their lives without remorse. 

 

"Sun and Tif, take the stairs.  The elevator is going to be a death wish if you use it. Hyo and Soo, you guys need to spread out, we need to cover this area so Sun and Tif can evacuate as soon as possible. There are going to be back-up coming in from the entrance but we have Yuri dealing with them, we need the back covered. No one. No one must reach the van." Taeyeon ended the command from the safety of the van as Yoona's finger quickly flew across the keyboard. "How long do you need to get eyes up, Yoong?"

 

"Three minutes, unnie."

 

"You've got two, they will be coming in hot any moment now."

 

"Roger!"

 

"Seo, I need you to hack into the cameras. We need eyes everywhere. How long?"

 

"Three. Two. One. Done!"

 

"Everyone... good luck." 

 

***

 

The screen lit up for Yoona and suddenly, she felt the tides of war shift into her favor. She was propelled into the seat of power and became the all seeing eye. She knew that the assault will be won or lost on her account. It was up to her to be their eyes, feeding constant information into her sisters' ears, spotting ambushes before they appeared and planning three steps ahead so everyone remained safe. The weight of the counterattack was on her shoulders, and she took the burden with ease. 

 

Right on cue. Taeyeon's foresight was correct. All of a sudden, her screen was filled with masses of blur sprinting towards their location. Cars and motorbikes zooming down the streets like drunk, breaking through the red light as if it didn't go against the law. A cold sweat ran down her spine. This was too much. There were simply too much reinforcements coming in, much quicker than they had anticipated. 

 

"Taeyeon unnie! They know we were coming!"

 

"Calm down, Yoong. It was within our plan. Call in Yuri. Have her gun them down."

 

***

 

Tiffany and Sunny were off when the call was made for them to disperse. They made it to the first floor without any form of resistance, except Sunny's short legs which seemed to have trouble keeping up with Tiffany's slightly longer ones.

 

The Organization was like a second home to the girls. Everything was given to them here; education, food, shelter, clothing, training and most importantly, it was the place where their relationship blossomed into something splendorous. However now, the entire building was waiting to them whole and spit them out. The very people who trained them, encouraged them and fed them, were now hunting them like dogs. The sixty story complex could well be the place where their relationship was born and at the same time, a tomb for their hearts. 

 

Tiffany led the way up the fire escape stairway at the side of the building, covering two to three steps at a time. With perspiration stuck to her skin, she endured the never ending flights of stairs. Suddenly, just as she reached the door to the 50th floor, it flew open right in front of her face. Sidestepping it at the last possible second, she unsheathed her blade, spearing it through the door. There was a loud grunt heard from the other side and a body toppled into view. 

 

"They're here!" she heard somebody shout.

 

"Sunny!" 

 

Sunny didn't need to be told and bolted into action right away. Aiming the assault rifle, she fired several rounds straight through door, the rounds piercing the solid steel and spitting off into the other side. She hurried up the steps and into position, peeking through briefly to check the hallway before her eyes. "Clear!" 

 

Tiffany sprinted through the door and into the hallway. A door popped open in front of her as a figure emerged. She swung her blade down but was caught by another blade. "Sunhwa?!"

 

"Hey, unnie."

 

"FANY AH, MOVE!"

 

Almost instantly her body shot out to the side as shots were fired at where her body was a moment ago. However, the bullets did not rip apart the younger girl as she dropped to the floor to escape the first barrage of shots. Tiffany and Sunhwa were face to face, so close and their blade held in hand. Sunhwa was the first to move. Her much long limb reaching out and slashing at Tiffany's face, flowing into an jab at her midriff. 

 

Tiffany reacted just as fast, if not faster. Her movements were beyond human eyes as she maneuvered her body in a way that no other could and in turn evading the first strike. She parried the jab and struck out with her own. Sunhwa barely had time to deflect the strike that was aimed at her neck. 

 

"FANY!"

 

Without reply, she moved out of way again as shots were fired from behind her. Sparks went off and holes were made on the floor. This time, Sunhwa wasn't so lucky as one struck her in the shoulder, crippling her sword arm instantly. The girl's cries rang out in the narrow hallway as she leaped back to gain distance. It went in vain as Tiffany immediately followed without hesitation, ripping into the girl with a ferocious snap of her wrist.

 

Sunhwa tried to parry with her sword but the strength behind her grip wasn't there. Sparks jumped through the air as their blades clashed, hers flying off her hand, landing on the floor with a clatter.

 

"Gotcha," Tiffany hissed. Her movements unparalleled, she crouched low and kicked off her feet, propelling herself forward at breakneck speed. With Sunhwa disarmed, the girl could not defend herself in anyway.

 

Sunhwa closed her eyes and waited for the pain to come. And it did in the form of cold steel impaling itself deep within her already wounded shoulder. Another cry tore from her lips as the blade was removed. She slumped to the floor and fainted.

 

"SUNHWA!" Tiffany turned her entire body to face the sound as a knife flew at her head. Seeing it coming, she flicked it out of the air with her blade. Four girls appeared at the end of the hallway, armed and totally dangerous at the moment. Who else could it have been than Hara, Nicole, Hyuna and...

 

"Sunny!"

 

At the last second, Tiffany struck out her arms just as Sunny whizzed passed her but it was too late, the older girl leaped away at a speed she never knew a human could achieve. Tiffany could do nothing else but back the girl up, giving chase.

 

In a narrow hallway, handguns always won the day. Hara drew and fired with inhumane accuracy. She was sure the bullets would hit but as they neared Sunny, it seemed to pass through her as if she was but smoke. In three seconds, Sunny had covered the distance between them without any form of resistant. Nicole rushed forward to greet her but as she approached, somehow her brain shut down for an instant. What was it? Fear. Those glaring eyes pierced into hers like the blacken night. She was scared and like smoke, Sunny disappeared from sight. 

 

Tiffany cursed. "! Tiff to Seo. Sunny switched target. Sunny switched target!"

 

And then she was left with three problems.

 

***

 

A burst of adrenaline gushed through her veins as she gave chase. The hallways were familiar to her. A turn here and a right there. She knew where to go, she knew where the way ended. There was a blur in front of her, turning a corner. Of course. Sunny kicked off harder to gain another burst of speed. She huffed. She panted. She was near. 

 

A droplet of sweat cascaded down her eye lid. It was heavy but she did not bother to brush it aside. Her eyes were locked onto the figure in front of her. Climbing the last flight of stairs, she crashed through the door and onto the rooftop. The cold morning air swept past her hair, cooling her off immediately. In the far off horizon, the sun was beginning to rise. Dawn was slowly approaching and in front of the rising sun was a figure whose back was turned to her.

 

Sunny held her breath as the figure turned and smiled sweetly at her. "Hey, Sunny."

 

***

 

Thank you for reading and supporting this lil' story of ours. If you've liked it so far, a simple click here would make us really happy.