S1: Chapter 24

y Beautiful Dangerous

 

There eyes met for a split second and Jessica's blood froze over momentarily. She drew air down her lungs, her heels and sprinted away from the hallway. Her footsteps quicken as she moved further and further, and all the while, she heard Sunny's frantic steps hot on her trail. Up the stairs, leaping four to five steps at a time, she burst through the rooftop door. Dim light splayed in front of her eyes and the cold morning air nipped at her exposed skin. 

 

"Forgive me," Jessica whispered. Tilting her head back and closing her eyes, she prayed. The feeling finally sank in and she accept it with an open heart. Her plan had backfired entirely.

 

The door burst opened a second time behind her and she turned. Facing Sunny, she forced her lips to curving into a sweet smile but all the while she rotted slowly inside. Pain gnawed at her heart as she spoke those two words that crushed her heart, "Hey, Sunny."

 

The small girl before her shook uncontrollably, as she tried to look Jessica in the eyes. Tears streamed down from her face and dropped to the floor when the first droplet of rain hit the paved rooftop. "Why...?" Sunny mumbled. "Why did you do this to us?"

 

Wind brushed Jessica's dirty blonde hair against her face and her smile quickly fell. Jessica tried to compose herself and come up with another lie. She choked out her reply, "Money."

 

"Bull!" All of a sudden, Sunny shouted. "I never believed you when you first said it, and I won't believe you now!"

 

"Then I've got nothing else to do with you..." Jessica curtly replied.

 

"J-Jessica... please..."

 

"We're over, Sunny. I don't need you guys anymore."

 

"Stop ly--"

 

"Believe what you want," she spat. A single drop of rain hit her in the forehead and cascaded down between her brows, followed by another crystal clear drop. "But I won't come back to you guys... ever."

 

Sunny took a step forward and stretched her arm forward, hand reaching out for Jessica's. "Jessica.. whatever it is you are doing... we can help you out..."

 

Jessica tensed. The sun before her momentarily melted the icy barrier she secluded herself into. The selflessness the younger girl possessed was beyond her. After all she had done to them--to her--could Sunny still forgive her? "I-I screwed up, Sunny... I really screwed up..." she croaked. 

 

Sunny took another step forward. "It's okay--everything is going to be alright. We can help you."

 

"No! You don't understand." At last a tear escaped her steel gaze. The moment swept her away like a thin strand of hair caught in a gale, and riding on the growing current of shame, anger and regret, opened and the truth surfaced. "I screwed up big time, and I need you guys to leave here at once."

 

"We can--"

 

"Not this time," Jessica whispered. She knew that with the state of the situation, even if they somehow joined together, they would be no match for them. She had only heard of them from rumors that circulated around during their trainee days. Foreign power. Train just like them. An elite team consisting of thirteen Godlike individuals. And most of all, men. Even though the world has shifted and the political power of women grew stronger, their physic could not match the current age men in anyway--whether it be speed, strength or endurance. Yuri would be the only one who could stand on par with them, but that would not happen anytime soon. "Sunny, I have a favor to ask from you."

 

Before Sunny even heard Jessica's request, she knew of Jessica's favor. However, she also knew that she would rather take her own life than comply. "No," she simply answered, standing firm to her words. 

 

"If you still love me--" 

 

"No!"

 

"--leave this place. Take the others and go."

 

"No...! Not without you."

 

"They were called over, Sunny. And any minute now, they will arrive. Leave before then... please."

 

Sunny finally closed the distance between them and looked at Jessica . Their eyes met, again, for the second time today. It had been the closest their eyes had come to in a long time. Those deep brown eyes were so beautiful. She wanted to do nothing else but lean in and kiss them gently--to show the brown orbs that they are loved. Show them that they made up who Jessica was. Heck. She wanted to do that for every part of the girl that stood before her. She loved her. She cherished her above her life, and beyond any bounds or shackles that time could use to hold them apart. 

 

"Not without you," she whispered. Her voice quivered, almost trembling with doubt. However, those words were nothing short of the truth.

 

Jessica brought her hand slowly forward and ran it through the side of Sunny's blonde hair. "You should really grow it out a bit more..." Jessica chuckled. A small smile placed itself lovingly on her lips. "It really suits you--the long hair that is."

 

It was a true smile. One that Sunny had not seen for awhile. She missed that smile, and all the more, she could not comply with Jessica's wish. Her heart bubbled and butterflies tickled her stomach pink. She drew closer. "Jessi--"

 

Pain registered on top of her wrist as she brought it up to her face, blocking Jessica's knock-out blow. Before Sunny could even adjust to the situation, Jessica lowered her stance. She watched inanimately as Jessica twisted her hip, rotating her upper body away, before shifting her weight forward with momentum. 

 

Sunny tried to draw air as pure acid filled her lungs, however, her body protested and groaned in anguish. A dry gasp escaped her lips as she doubled over from Jessica's fist. Her stomach screamed for relief but none was given, as she forced herself into an upright position.

 

At once, she snapped. Her eyes darted dangerously to Jessica's, and the whole rooftop seemed to burn in Sunny's fury. "Jessica Sooyeon Jung! I will drag you out of here by the roots of your hair if I have to!"

 

Jessica scoffed. "Always so stubborn." 

 

Forget the stare off. Forget the forgiving or love. Forget everything she had ever known to date. Sunny strode over to Jessica and threw a wild straight. If Jessica was not going to come quietly, then she would beat her senseless and drag her out of here. Through rain, hail or storm, the sun will shine on them.

 

***

 

Thank you for reading and supporting this lil' story of ours. If you've liked it so far, a simple click here would make us really happy.