S1: Chapter 23

y Beautiful Dangerous

Earlier that day

 

The house shook violently, and lights flickered off and on with each expounding second while Jessica stood firm on two feet with Seohyun and Yoona standing alongside her in front of Sunny's bed. Her heart raced inside her chest at the thought of them being the last line of defense in case someone broke through. They would be totally screwed if that happened. What with Seohyun and Yoona, both girls who had not practiced their self defense since ever. A grimness crept up inside her heart. 

 

Thoughts about a breach flooded her mind. Once someone breaks through that door, it would be up to her to defend both Seohyun and Yoona, not to mention her still unconscious lover, Sunny. All that had to be done, without failure. Jessica opened to draw air but her lungs groaned in protest and seized her by the throat. Air. Air. She needed air. Her phone suddenly vibrated inside her pocket. She hurriedly fished it out and checked the caller; it was her sister, Krystal, calling from the Organization. Yes! Backup, she immediately thought. 

 

Sliding the lock-bar, she answered her phone. "Krystal!" she exclaimed, almost too happy to hear from her sister. "Krystal. Listen to me, something has gone wrong and," she paused and the room went silent for a brief ten seconds. 

 

The line went dead and she turned to Yoona and Seohyun. 

 

"Unnie... is everything alright?" Seohyun inquired.

 

Jessica waned a smile. "Yeah. Everything is going to be fine," she paused. "Lock the doors. Don’t open them unless it 's me or the others.  Do not leave the room. I will be back soon." She strutted out of the room, turning one last time to her girls. "I'm just going to check on the situation"

 

And with that, she closed the door behind her and leaned back against the door. "Please forgive me, Sunny..." she whispered, before stepping downstairs with her handgun out in the open. 

 

***

 

Jessica would be lying if she said that her heart wasn't beating wildly when she walked through the door. The darkness outside welcomed her to a more sinister side of life, one that she did not agree wholeheartedly to. However, she took the first step towards it nonetheless with reluctance ruling her heart and mind. And like everything around her, the night enveloped her whole. To her side she heard voices shouting over each other. Calming her racing heart, she headed towards it, knowing that was where all the trouble was centered. 

 

Upon reaching a good distance away from the commotion, she saw a group of the Organization's men encircling what would seem like two girls. Without a doubt, she could tell that one of her sister was the cause of the duel. Long raven black hair, flowing behind her as she nimble encircled the attacker, and then she stopped and a calm demeanor swelled from her being. Everything about her dripped in absolute confidence; it was Yuri. It had to be because no one else could be as calm and relaxed when surrounded by assault rifles aimed at their head.

 

But all that took a turn for the worst and Jessica frowned, almost grimacing in shock as Yuri's fist missed and a hard knee to the gut connected. Everything went blank from there as they dropped out of sight behind the crowded men. Jessica quickly rushed forward and pushed the men out of the way, earning vulgar insults but all that went quiet when they saw who it was aimed at. 

 

When she reached the front, the fight had already turned into Yuri's favor. The older girl had the attacker pinned to the ground, wailing away with a fist. Jessica could not help but let a smile ghost onto her lips. That was her best friend Yuri. But then when the cast came down, her smile vanished and was replaced but utter horror. Jessica stepped behind Yuri before she'd killed whoever she wanted dead. 

 

Hand clenched tight, she swung it down like a hammer, connecting into the side of her sister's beautiful face.

 

"WHAT THE ?!" she heard Yuri roar, tilting her head over to see who the intruder was.

 

By then it was too late for Jessica to stop. Her body moved on its own accord and followed it up with a devastating knee. The blow must've been so painful for Yuri as she was momentarily propelled onto her feet before falling down again, a hand shooting out to soften the blow. In the end, Yuri's face met with the ground and Jessica could no longer stop herself as she spoke.

 

The words melted out of like liquid venom, leaving a sickening after taste behind in . "You shouldn't be hurting your dongsaengs like that, Yuri ah."  

 

Those words must've been too much for the tanned girl to take in, as finally, her head dropped to the floor. 

 

Leaving Yuri on the ground, Jessica spun on the heel of her shoes and growled, "Someone get Hyuna a tissue and wipe her nose for her."

 

Her fist trembled wildly. Never before had she ever hit Yuri, aside from the sparring matches and odd playful chide. It absolutely sickened her knowing that one punched severed their sisterhood, completely.

 

Bang! Bang! Bang! Bang! Bang!

 

She spun her head, hair twirling behind her and sweeping over her shoulder as the shots ran out. Suddenly, a deft silent ate away at the air. The shots came at timed interval. There could not be a mistake about it as who shot. It could not be Yuri as she laid there in the firt in front of her. It could not be Tiffany as she loathed guns in general. Taeyeon and a handgun? Not a chance. Twisting on the ball of her feet, she yelled for the men to retreat. As the entire unit dispersed out came a short silhouette who immediately swept the tanned girl into her arms, and at the same time, tore at her heart string painfully. 

 

"Sunny..." Jessica murmured, stepping forward but at the last second, holding back. Her breathing controlled and fluid, nothing would give her away as she approached from behind with small steps. Each step she took tore at her even more, little by little and bit by agonizing bit. She closed the distance between them with a heavy heart and at the last meter, her feeling suddenly wavered and the wall of emotions crumbled. Her presence was revealed with a soft, barely audible gasp as she tried to conceal her choking affection. 

 

And then the next ten minutes of her life went by in a flash. Faster than the time she ran through a bullet storm with Sunny and the girls. Faster than the time she closed the gap between their lips. Faster than the time she had said, "Yes" to Sunny's confession. The handgun in hand snapped to attention as Sunny turned her upper torso, her handgun brandishing itself at her. She could feel her face go numb as Sunny glared dangerously at her. The next expression tugged at her heart stronger than ever--more painful than ever. The mortified look on Sunny's face said everything as darkness consumed her mind and went on autopilot. 

 

"J-Jessica..."

 

"Y-You're scaring me, Sica... what are you doing? Look, I took out those men. We can look for the girls now."

 

"J-Jessica. Speak to me."

 

"Jessica! What are you doing?!"

 

"Sorry, Soonkyu."

 

 "WHAT THE , JESSICA?!"

 

"JESSICA!"

 

"You've got A LOT of explaining to do!"

 

"So sorry, Mi Young ah. Did you want to come over and join me? I could ask for a position from the Organization. I'm sure they could make an exception for you."

 

"Why did you stop, Mi Young ah?"

 

"Why...?"

 

"Why what?"

 

"Why are you taking their side?!"

 

"What were you thinking when you tried to shoot Sunny?! She's your girlfriend for Christ sakes!"

 

"Simple. They wanted her dead. They wanted you ALL dead. And I'm only doing what I've been told to do."

 

"Why... what are you doing this for?"

 

"Money."

 

"W-What about the years we've spent together? What are we to you?! What is Sunny to you?! We lov-"

 

"Stop. Stop. Years together. Yes. Of course. But think of our profession. Assassins. Elites at the profession but assassins. Why do we do it? Simply because the pay is good. And the pay I'll be getting after this is simply amazing."

 

"You guys... were colleagues who helped lessen the workload. Money came faster that way you see. You were good Mi Young ah - really good at finishing the work as fast as possible. Yuri was a monster at taking shots from any angle and anywhere. I mean. How can someone shot a target dead straight in the heart in a train moving at 200 kilometers per hours? That's insane. Taeyeon and the others? They kept me safe during those mission, so they were useful to an extent."

 

"And then her..."

 

"Stop it." 

 

"Stop it." 

 

"Stop it." 

 

"I never loved her."

 

That last statement of her love was all it took for Jessica's mind to blank completely. She had never thought that pain like this existed. It was painful. Yes. So painful. She threw words that she did not mean out like stones thereafter. Shot at Tiffany without the intention of hitting, but still, it hurt.  

 

"Please... don't do this--to us... to me."

 

Jessica gritted her teeth and turned her back to the bright light to face the darkness.  

 

***

 

The vehicle stopped and Jessica sat in the back seat of a vehicle in silence. The only sound came from Hyuna's mouth, unconsciously in between where Nicole and Sunhwa sat. Poor girl. Half unconscious so that half the pain swept over her, and knowing the strength behind Yuri's fists, she was in a lot of pain at the moment. 

 

Suddenly, the door opened from the outside and the girls exited one by one, ushered into the cold and having thick coats placed around their shoulders. A stretcher claimed Hyuna thereafter and Jessica stepped out on her own, dismissing the coat ready for her. She strutted inside with long, prideful steps and said, "I want to see my father." 

 

The receptionist immediately bowed and hissed for the security to prep the elevator. Jessica entered and turned to face the front, holding up her hand when the guard attempted to enter. "It's alright. I want to see my father alone."

 

The man bowed as the elevator sliding doors closed. 

 

***

 

Walking through the scarcely lit hallway to her father's office at the end of the hall, Jessica's heart beat wildly inside of her chest. At last, the moment came when her sacrifice would blossom. She gave much for this moment, and she would take it gladly with two firm hands if the chance presented itself to her again. The sole of her leather converse sounded much louder than ever. That could be said for her environment. The walls seemed to be closing in on her vision as she drew close. Her heart grew louder and larger, and more ready for the future than ever before. 

 

Stopping in front of the double door, she shoved it inwards, using her shoulder blades to give her as much strength as it could. The door swung in, smashing into the wall beside. "FATHER!" she shouted. 

 

The man behind the elongated desk rose from his seat, and spreading his arms out wide, he exclaimed, "Ahh... Jessica. You've returned, my daughter."

 

The moment approached and Jessica took in air. Her hand flew to the waistband of her shorts, gripping tightly on the handle of the handgun. Brandishing it in front of her, the nuzzle aimed straight at her father's forehead. Her deft finger dawn onto the trigger at once, feeling the cool piece against her pointer finger. "Father," she said but this time much quieter. Her voice suddenly left her and the choice she chose seemed like the worst possible one. She had turned her back on much for this moment. Her sisters and their trust. Her life with them. Her everything. Her Sunny. Mostly her Sunny. She missed her Sunny. Tears welled in her eyes. "F-Father..." she croaked. 

 

An expression of bewilderment bestowed itself on his face as his brows creased. "Jessica. What on earth has gotten into you?" His arms suddenly dropped to his side, he turned his hold body and walked towards her from behind the desk. "Jessica, my darling."

 

"DON'T COME ANY CLOSER!"

 

"J-Jessica... you are confused. That is to be expected, after all, you have been with them half your life. But over time this wound will heal and you will see that you have made the correct choice."

 

"I said, 'Don't come any closer!'"

 

"JESSICA!"

 

"I said, 'Don't--'" BANG!

 

A gun went off inside of the room but it had not been her that shot. A soft trail of smoke lead from behind her over to where her father now laid. Mister Jung snapped back, flung off his feet as the bullet hit him square in the shoulder, and dropped onto his back on the desk. 

 

Jessica froze in horror as blood enveloped the entire length of his arm at a sickening pace, it dripped along his fingers and pooled onto the desk where it further flowed onto the floor, quickly forming a puddle of red. He groaned and warily tilted his head forward to glance at the shooter. 

 

"You..." Mister Jung muttered. "YOU BASTARD!" 

 

Another shot rang out, this time smashing into Mister Jung's knee came and puncturing out the other side where it ripped into the piece of the wooden desk behind. "Ahhh! You son of a , Lee Sooman!"

 

Jessica spun her head around at the name, eyes searing with disbelief. As her eyes landed on her father's assaulter, they widened a dime larger at the sight before her. "M-Mother? K-Krystal?!"

 

Writhing in their bounds with tape secured around their mouths, the mother and daughter struggled against Lee Sooman's clutches. 

 

"WHAT IS THE MEANING OF THIS," Mister Jung roared through his pain. His eye lids dropped low and unconscious was evident in his eyes. With a groan, he pushed himself onto his feet. He took in air and shouted, "WHAT THE ARE YOU DOING, LEE SOOMAN?! We are supposed to be in this together! I founded the Organization and took you in as my partner! We were supposed to--" 

 

BANG!

 

The gun went off a third time and Mister Jung fell silent. His mouth gaped wide as he tried to draw air, however, his lunged protested and red liquid pooled down the back of his throat, suffocating him in his own blood. Mister Jung tried to make words but nothing came but blood gushing out from his mouth. The bullet impaled through his throat and out the back of his neck, and essentially shredding apart his air passage. More blood flowed down the wrong end and thus he fell to his knees and drowned in his own blood.

 

Muffled screams came from the mother and daughter. Krystal's eyes swelled with tears as the life of her father ended right before her very eyes. It was a hard sight to stomach for the receptionist. She had never seen violence like that in her life and reassurance was all she needed but none could be given now as Lee Sooman turned to Jessica.

 

"Jessica." Mister Sooman smiled.

 

However, Jessica's eyes were still drawn on her father. The small twitch that his dead body made. The way his cheeks pressed flat against the floor, surrounded by a crimson pool. His eyes wide open, horror-struck by his death. She took it all in and more. 

 

"Get over his death already, Jessica. You did want him dead, did you not?" Mister Sooman spoke from behind her.

 

Jessica shifted her gaze over to her father's murderer, a soulless look engraved into her eyes. "I was supposed to kill him..." she mumbled. 

 

"What was that, Jessica?"

 

"I WAS SUPPOSED TO KILL HIM!" Jessica snapped back. Blood rushed to her face as she turned her entire body to face him, handgun aimed at his head. 

 

"Hush. What difference does it make whether you or I take care of him? And you wouldn't want to point that gun at me right now." Lee Sooman nudged the side of Krystal's head roughly with the nuzzle of his handgun. He crouched down and caressed the side of Krystal's face. "We wouldn't want any blood spilt onto her skin, do we?"

 

"You bastard..."

 

"You think that by killing your father and I that the Organization will stop hunting your little group down? Think again. We. Want. You. Dead. Now then--I believe this is where I state what I need of you and in exchange, I will release these two."

 

BANG! BANG! BANG! Gun fire roared on the other side of the wall and shouts about an intruder could be heard. 

 

"Sunny!" Jessica heard Tiffany scream out. Eyes eyes immediately went wide as the realization that her sisters were here. Another set of gunfire went off and then all was silent. 

 

Lee Sooman smirked. "I believe you know what to do."

 

***

 

Sliding the lock-bar, she answered her phone. "Krystal!" she exclaimed, almost too happy to hear from her sister. "Krystal. Listen to me, some has gone wrong and," she paused, cut off from her sentence by a familiar voice.

 

"Jessica." The person on the other line spoke. Male and with years on his side. It definitely wasn't Krystal or a female for that matter. However, the voice was familiar. It was her father. "Do not talk if there are people inside and listen carefully."

 

She held her lips tight. 

 

"Good. Jessica, I have a mission for you that you need to accomplish. Right now, the Organization are at the front steps of the mansion. We are to terminate your group at once."

 

The words struck the chord in her heart, twisting it the wrong way painfully. Her body immediately frozen, lips pressed tight, jaws clenched and her free hand  balling into knuckle whitening fist. There had to be a misunderstanding somewhere. Why has her father felt the need to terminate the group? 

 

As if reading her mind, Mister Jung spoke, "I bet you are dying to know why? The higher ups feel that with each passing mission you girls have completed without fail, you are growing stronger, wilder and soon there would be no need for you girls to serve under us. You must understand, Jessica. If the girls become too strong, they will feel the need to rebel and we can't have that happening. Narsha's unit are standing by outside, you are to join with them and crush the girls. Will you do it, Jessica? I don't expect you to answer me now, let your action be the answer. Act now."

 

And the line went dead. 

 

***

 

Thank you for reading and supporting this lil' story of ours. If you've liked it so far, a simple click here would make us really happy.