Passion

My Addiction

 

March is almost over. The coming of spring is felt from the breeze at the park. Weekends at the park meant many people especially children. This Sunday afternoon is not different and a handful of people crowded near the playground. They were watching a performance of a young hiphop duo. The crowd consisted mostly of young girls and ahjummas.

                “Ohh, they’re good~” one ahjumma commented.

                “I know, they have been performing here for around two months now.. I always come see them.” Her friend remarked.

                “Oppas hwaiting!” a bunch of middle school girls cheered on.

Yeah

Yeotgatae yeol badge

Ne saenggake dorabeoril geot gatae

Bogo sipeunde bol suga eobde

Modu kkeutnatde

I'll be right there

[Yeah,

this is bull, it’s pissing me off.

 I’m going crazy in thoughts of you.

I want to see you,

but I’m being told thatI can’t,

that it’s all over

(I’ll be right there)]

 

“Omo, it has lyrics now~” Bom said as she and Dara went near the playground.

“Ehh~ why are we here again, Bommie?” Dara asked as she tiptoed to get a better look.

“Uhmm,” Bom started as she played with her fingernails. “Remember those two famous guys in our school?”

“Ahh ahh~ you mean the two who are always chased by fangirls?”

Bom pointed to the two in the center of the crowd. Ji Yong wore a gray shirt with a red scarf on his neck. He also wore a black cap tilted sideways on his head. Seunghyun wore a green hoodie. Dark sunglasses covered his eyes.

I'm so sorry but I love you da geojitmal

Iya mollasseo ijeya arasseo nega piryohae

I'm so sorry but I love you nalkaroun mal

Hwatgime nado moreuge neol tteonabonaetjiman

I'm so sorry but I love you da geojitmal

I'm so sorry (I'm sorry)

But I love you (I love you more more)

I'm so sorry but I love you nareul tteona

Cheoncheonhi ijeojullae

Naega apahal su itge

[I’m so sorry, but I love you, it’s all a lie.

 I didn’t know, but I know now that I need you.

I’m so sorry, but I love you, out of anger.

I pushed you away with those piercing words without realizing.

I’m so sorry, but I love you, it’s all a lie.

 I’m so sorry (I’m so sorry),

but I love you (I love you more more).

I’m so sorry, but I love you,

 will you leave and forget me slowly,

so I can be in pain?]

 

                “O, those lyrics,” Dara said as she listened intently. “It feels like there’s a deep meaning, you think?”

“Don’t forget~ we’re GDTOP~” Ji Yong exclaimed as the song ended.

               Ji Yong and Seunghyun finished to a round of applause. Several audience dropped coins to the small makeshift box near the speakers. The middle school students took a picture with the two guys. Soon, the crowd dispersed. Bom and Dara were the ones left from the crowd. Seunghyun was the first to notice Bom and gave her a little wave.

                “Oh, sunbae!” He motioned the two girls to come over.

                “Seunghyun-ssi,“ Bom greeted in an almost whisper. “Ah, by the way this is my friend, Park Dara.”

                “Nice to meet you~ I’m Choi Seunghyun.” He shook hands with Dara.

                “I’m Kwon Ji Yong~ at your service!” Ji Yong said as he went over them. “Park Bom-ah, you came to see us!”

                “Seunghyun-ssi, that was a great performance!” Dara exclaimed.

                The four of them sat on a nearby bench. Ji Yong was busy counting the money they had make.  Bom and Dara chatted with Seunghyun.

                “Ehh so you’ve been doing this for a long time now~?” Dara asked Seunghyun.

                “Ne, we started performing in this park since we graduated from middle school.” Seunghyun answered. “But we’ve been dancing and singing like this since we were small.”

                “Hmm, that song,” Bom said. “When I first heard it, it has no lyrics yet. How come you made up lyrics so fast~?”

                “Eh ask GD over there~” Seunghyun pointed to Ji Yong who was still counting the coins. “He’s the one who writes the lyrics.”

                “Ohh, so he’s GD and you’re TOP?” Bom asked again with a scratch of her head. “How did you come up with such weird names?”

                “Yah~ we made 15,000 won!” Ji Yong interrupted before anyone could answer.

                “Huh, 15,000 won?” Bom scrunched her nose and frowned. “Isn’t that too little considering how much effort you put in your perfomances?”

                “Aniyo, Park Bom-ah,” Ji Yong said with a wave of his hand. “The money we get is only a bonus~ we don’t perform for the money.”

                “Ne, we don’t do it for the money. We do it because it’s our passion.” Seunghyun added as he took the box of money from Ji Yong.

                “Passion?” Bom repeated with a frown.

                “Ne~ dancing and singing is our passion.” Ji Yong explained. “Every time we perform, whether at the park, at the rooftop or on top of the stage, we feel a sense of fulfillment.”

                Bom couldn’t think of anything to reply so she just nodded hesitantly. Ji Yong noticed Bom’s behavior and patted her head.

                “Don’t worry Park Bom-ah, you’ll understand the feeling too~” Ji Yong said in a consoling manner.

~~

                The evening stars were shining on the cold winter sky. Inside her room, Bom was staring and counting at the stars. Deep in thought, she had her chin rested on her hands while looking out the window.

                “Passion?” She thought. “What am I passionate about~?”

                She started to trace the Orion constellation her finger. She thought hard of the times whe ever felt passionate about something. Her brows knitted furiously until it looked like she had unibrows.

                “Arghhhh!” Bom said out loud in frustration. She thought of first grade when she joined the school play. She ended up throwing up at the stage. Fourth grade she joined the track team for their sports festival, she ended up with bruises all over her legs. Middle school she joined the arts club, she ended up being the one who cleaned up their mess.

I’m passionate about nothing~” Bom thought somberly.

“Eh?” She wondered surprised at herself as she found herself humming to Ji Yong and Seunghyun’s song.  “Music~?”

~~

I got the lyric translation [here]