A Corn-y Date

My Addiction

A month has already passed since Jiyong had rejected the contract. It seemed quick as if time just passed through his open hands, but there was probably no day that Jiyong would not think about the opportunity he has missed. But he tried his best to not worry Bom. And so in that one month, he made no mention of the contract. Bom didn't press on the matter as well.

The Nolza club has been meeting infrequently and scarcely with the departure of Seunghyun who was mostly the group's moodmaker. Dara has also been busy with her drama club especially because of their upcoming play production. So most of the days, it was just Bom and Jiyong who were always together during lazy afternoons after school.

"Jiyoooong," Bom said as they sat on one of the park benches after school. They shared a bag of hot bungeoppang that Jiyong set between them. "I have something to ask of you."

"Mhm?" Jiyong asked as he bit the bungeoppang's tail in one bite.

"Look at this!" Bom exclaimed and held a yellow and green flyer in front of Jiyong's eyes. It was a promotional flyer for a new, seasonal-limited amusement park opening near the Han River, The Corn Land. And, yep, it is corn-themed. "It's opening tomorrow. Let's go this weekend."

"It's a what?" he replied as he stared at the flyer in disbelief.

"A corn-themed amusement park." Bom answered with a glimmer in her eyes. "You know how much I love corn."

"Ehh, I'd rather go to Lotte World instead."

"But I want," Bom pouted. "Pretty please with corn kernels on top."

Jiyong couldn't possibly say no to that, so he agreed to the condition that he'll also have her share of bungeoppang. ( a/n: They're such a weird couple mehehe! ) And so, it was on the weekend that they agreed to meet at 10 in the morning at Han River near The Corn Land for their first amusement park date.

"Bom, over here," Jiyong waved his hand as he watched Bom running towards him. She was dressed in casual clothes, in a plain shirt and jeans paired with sneakers. She was ready to go have fun at The Corn Land. While Jiyong wore the same get-up he used to wear when he and Seunghyun would perform at the park.

"Sorry," Bom apologized as she caught her breath. "Am I late?"

"Nope, I'm the one who's early. Well, shall we go?" Jiyong hopped off the railing where he sat and linked arm with Bom.

He paid both for their entrance tickets even though Bom insisted that she'll pay for her own. As they got inside, Bom's eyes widened at the sight of corn. Too much corn. There were corn stalls, corn carousel, corn ferris wheel, corn roller coaster, corn train rides, corn skating rink, corn spinning saucers, corn boat, and at the middle of the amusement park, a lone corn mascot stood and waved at all the visitors. It was heaven for Bom.

"Uwaaa," was all that she could say. She didn't know where she wanted to go first, but her stomach seemed to know and it gave a low grumble.

"Haha," Jiyong chuckled. "Let's go get something to eat first."

They held each other's hand as they made way to the food stalls to their right. Even the food menu are all with corn, much to Jiyong's surprise. Bom ordered a corn pancake and corn-topped patbingsu while Jiyong settled for a stick of corndog and corn on the cob. 

"Isn't it the best in here?" Bom asked with a smile as they ate their lunch. "I can probably spend the rest of day here and never get bored."

Jiyong laughed as he watched her. He thought of how cute she looked like as if all the corn were reflected in her shiny eyes. As they finished eating, Bom grabbed his hands and pulled him to the corn roller coaster. There was no line, and in just a few seconds, they were already seated in the very first corn cob carriage.

"Yaaah, Bom, I think this is a bad idea. We just ate aaand-" But Jiyong couldn't continue his sentence as the roller coaster picked up speed.

"Weeeee~" Bom shouted with her hands in the air.

The ride ended with both their hairs dishevelled but with smile plastered on their faces. 

"That was fun!" Jiyong exclaimed as they stepped out of the ride.

"I know, but you should have seen the look on your face when the ride started," Bom . "You look like a scared little monkey."

"Did not!"

They walked around the amusement park with their fingers entwined together. They both rode the other attractions together, not letting go of each other's hands except when needed. The last ride they planned for today was the corn ferris wheel. The corn carriage was shaking uneasily as the ferris wheel slowly lifted them up. Jiyong wasn't afraid of heights, but Bom was. She tightened her hold on his hands.

"How can you be scared of this when you can bravely ride the fast roller coaster a while ago?" he wondered.

"But with the roller coaster, it's done and you get over it in a matter of seconds," Bom explained. "But this ferris wheel is just so slow."

"Don't worry," he reassured her. "I'm just by your side." He moved closer to her, but it made the carriage shake even more.

"Uwaaa."

"I got you." Jiyong whispered to her ears as they finally reached the peak. Bom suddenly felt herself blushing when she realized how close their faces were. Their eyes slowly met, and slowly Jiyong inched his face towards hers. Instinctively, Bom closed her eyes and slightly tilted her head to the right. She felt his soft lips, pursed against her. His hand travelled to the back of her head and held her hair.

Bom slowly opened her eyes. Jiyong withdrew from their kiss, his face a shade of red. Bom slowly fanned her blushing face. He cleared his throat and looked outside as their carriage was on its descent. Below the ferris wheel, he noticed a small crowd that gathered. There were spotlights and camera crew. It was an MV filming and he spotted an idol group in front of the camera. He watched them as they broke out in dance moves, their lips moving to the words of their song. Somewhere deep inside him, Jiyong felt a pang of envy. But he was here with Bom, he reminded himself. And so he tried hard to forget the missed opportunity and just enjoy the rest of the day with his lady.

~~

Another Monday morning, another day at school. Bom and Jiyong walked to school together. It was a day after their The Corn Land date, and they were still both in high spirits.

"We should go there again next Saturday!" Bom exclaimed as they passed the large bulletin board at the school's entrance. A bright yellow poster caught her eye. "Oh?" She pointed to the poster.

"What?" Jiyong asked as he noticed the poster as well. "Another corn theme park? Seriously, why is corn so popular these days?"

"Ani," Bom said. "Read it."

Jiyong read the text in the poster. In bold letters, the black heading stood out in contrast of the bright yellow background.

YG OPEN AUDITIONS, it said. Jiyong repeated the heading in his head. Seolma, he thought as his heart started to pound.

"Auditions start this weekend," Bom read the rest of the poster. She notices Jiyong's hand turned cold once again. His lips moved but no words came out.

"YG open auditions?" a deep familiar voice from behind them said.

The pair both jumped back and saw a familiar silhoutte that stood against the morning sunlight. 

"Seunghyun!" They both exclaimed at the same time.

"Annyeong~" Seunghyun greeted them with a wave. "I just came here to settle some school matters."

"You're back!" Jiyong said and clung on to Seunghyun's arm like a little monkey.

"Aish, this guy," he said. "I said I'm just back for school matters. I'll be staying here for a week, then I have a flight to Jeju again."

"But still, you should have called us to say you were coming back," Bom said with a smile.

Seunghyun blushed at the sight of Bom but he quickly regained his senses. He smiled at her and shrugged, "I guess I just like to surprise you guys. Jiyong-ah, you should go and audition to this with Bom."

Bom's eyes widened and started to protest. "A-aniyo, I won't be accepted anyway."

"There's no harm in trying, right?" Jiyong said with a smile. "And you, bad boy, should come and audition with us too!"

"Mwo?" Seunghyun echoed and he backed away. "I said, for the third time, that I'm only back here at Seoul for school maters. Jinja."

Amidst the trio's bickering, someone approached the bulletin board to find out what the commotion was all about. Her eyes widened as she realized who these people were.

"You guys!" Dara squealed in delight as she gave a big hug to everyone. "Seunghyun-ah, you're here!"

"Uhh," Seunghyun sighed. "I hate repeating myself but I'm really just staying here at Seoul for a week. I'm going back to Jeju this weekend."

"But you're really here," Dara and Jiyong said at the same time.

Bom laughed at how childish her boyfriend and bestfriend were acting. Seunghyun joined in the laughter as he laughed at how absurd the situation is. Dara finally noticed what they were looking at a while ago.

"O, open auditions?" Dara read. "Are you guys auditioning?"

"You guys," it was Bom who finally spoke the words all four of them were waiting to hear. "Let's all audition together."

~~

These two, when I was writing about them, I kept on imagining Otani and Koizumi from Lovely Complex. :D Thanks so much for reading!