Camera Shy

My Addiction


It was the weekend and Bom went over to Seunghyun's house. It was decided that she will need to overcome her stage fright by hanging out with the most outgoing member of Nolza - Ji Yong. Upon arriving, Bom was greeted by one of the maids and asked her to wait at the spacious living room.

"Seunghyun's not around?" she asked Ji Yong when he went down the living room.

"He went out a while ago saying something about giving us some privacy." he answered with a smile.

"Mwo? Did he really say that?" Bom stared at him in disbelief.

"Just kidding." Ji Yong exclaimed. "Let's go to the music room~ it's much better there you know."

"Uwaaa, there's a music room here?" Bom asked with wide eyes.

"That's where Seunghyun and I hang out most of the time and where we create our masterpieces." he answered and they went up the stairs. The back of their hands brushed slightly. Bom blushed as she felt a tingling sensation down her spine. "Why am I blushing?" she asked herself as she slowed her pace and lagged behind him. Ji Yong looked over at Bom and grabbed her hand linking with his.

"Yah, hurry up and let's go to the music room." he said then turned his back to her.

Bom silently followed Ji Yong while he held her hand. She knew she was blushing like crazy and felt her cheeks getting warm and reddening. They reached the music room at the end of the hall and Ji Yong opened the door for her. Inside was every musician's dream. Numerous electric guitars of different shapes and sizes lined one wall while a drum set was on the other side. There was a computer and mic on the corner for recording. In the middle stood a baby grand piano made of polished ebony wood. Bom's stared in admiration. Ji Yong let go of her hand.

"Yah, just now, why did you hold my hand?" Bom said as she feinted annoyance but her cheeks were still red.

"You were walking too slow," Ji Yong lied but he noticed Bom's red cheeks. "Omo~ Bommieeee you're blushing so cute." he said with an imitation of Dara's voice.

"Aigo, stop it." Bom replied while she hit Ji Yong's shoulder lightly but continuously.

"Yah Bommieeeeee~," He continued to while he took a step backward. The back of his foot hit the piano seat and caused him to fall backward. Bom tripped over his feet and fell on top of Ji Yong. He felt Bom's slender body pressed against his own. Their eyes met but Bom quickly looked away and tried to stand up.

"I'm sorry!" He apologized and helped Bom to get up. He was also blushing like crazy.

"It was my fault too.." Bom mumbled slowly.

"Bom-ah.."

"Ne?" she answered quietly. There was an awkward air between them. Bom quietly sat on the piano chair. Ji Yong walked over to the computer and brought something out - a video camera. He turned it on and pointed to Bom's direction.

"Yah, Park Bom-ah..." Ji Yong said while filming Bom. "Just now, what happened.. Consider it as your first lesson in getting rid of your shyness."

"Mwo?" Bom said staring directly at Ji Yong's eyes. Ji Yong waved the video camera near her face.

"Aishh, face the camera.. This is your second lesson you know." Ji Yong said still waving the camera.

"I don't get it," Bom exclaimed with an annoyed face.

Ji Yong sighed and sat beside her. He held up his index finger. "Lesson number one: getting close to another person of the opposite helps cure shyness."

Bom just looked at him as if he was speaking in a different language.

Ji Yong held up two fingers. "Lesson number two: learn how to act naturally in front of the camera." he continued while zooming over to Bom's face.

Bom frowned and pouted. Her eyes shifted back and forth to Ji Yong and to the camera lens. "How is this supposed to help me?"

"Well~ if you are comfortable being with one person, then gradually you'll be comfortable with a large audience right?"

"But it's different, being up on stage and watched by a crowd. Every move you make is being scrutinized and criticized." Bom mumbled and avoided the camera.

"That's a natural part of being a performer," Ji Yong said still looking at the camera viewfinder. He zoomed at Bom's eyes then zoomed out again to show her face. "But we shouldn't let their criticisms bring us down. We should use it to our advantage~"

"How will we use their criticisms to our advantage?" Bom looked at him in disbelief.

"It's our secret but I'll tell it to you~" He answered and placed his index finger over Bom's lips careful not to touch. Bom felt his finger brushed her lips and shei felt electricity ran down her spine. "We should view their criticisms as something like a challenge for us. It means we have to strive hard and prove to them that we can exceed their expectations. It's not easy at first, I know, but no matter what, we shouldn't get affected."

Bom slowly nodded and looked at the camera. "That makes sense.. Like if someone called me ugly, that means I have to put extra effort in myself?" she asked and tried to smile at the camera.

"Yah, you're not ugly at all!"

"That's just an example." Bom said and hit Ji Yong playfully in the shoulders.

"I know, I know. But always remember, when you put extra effort to prove yourself, don't just do it for others. Do it first for yourself, arasseo?"

"Arasseo~ oppaa" Bom said doing aegyo in front of the camera. Ji Yong blushed and nearly dropped the camera out from his hands.

"Yah.. wh-what was that all about?" Ji Yong stuttered after he recovered from shock. "Did she just call me 'oppa'?"

"I was just practicing lesson number one." Bom said and made a series of cute and funny expressions to the camera. She did not notice Ji Yong's blushing face that was hidden behind the camera. "Mwo?" she asked.

"Park Bom-ah," He said slowly with a straight face. "Don't call every guy you meet 'oppa'." Ji Yong recalled the incident on the school rooftop where he overheard Bom calling Seunghyun 'oppa.'

"Eh, but didn't you just say I have to learn to be close with the opposite ?" Bom frowned and made a face.

"I know.. I know..." Ji Yong argued and zoomed in on Bom"s pouting lips. "Just don't call guys 'oppa' so casually."

"You don't like it when I call you 'oppa'?" Bom .

"That's not my point~" Ji Yong bickered back. They were arguing like two preschool enemies.

"Arasseo, arasseo." Bom replied and rolled her eyes to the camera. "So what's the next lesson seonsangnim?"

"Lesson number three," He held up three fingers and tried his best impression of a teacher's voice. "Have someone you idolize."

"Someone I idolize?" Bom thought hard and pondered.

"Ne, like someone you aspire to be. Who do you look up to, Park Bom-ah?"

"Beyonce~" Bom said with a genuine smile.

"Beyonce?" Ji Yong repeated and looked at her directly.

"Ne~" she replied. "I watched her concert on tv before and I was mesmerized by her. Her charisma, her voice, her sense of fashion, and the way she presents herself on stage. Oh, and she has a nice figure too."

"Oh." Ji Yong nodded. "Use Beyonce as your goal then. Before you do something, ask yourself, how would Beyonce do this, or that, arasseo?"

"Arasseo. Just curious, who is the one you idolize the most, Ji Yong-ah?"

"Jay-Z." Ji Yong mumbled with a blush. Bom's eyes widened.

"You're teasing me!" Bom exclaimed and turned her head away from the camera. She faced the piano and started to hit random keys.

"Yah, I'm not! Jay-Z really is one of my idols. I was surprised when you told me you like Beyonce." Ji Yong said and raised his right hand to swear his honesty.

"Alright~ I believe you..." Bom said and played a melody arrangement in the piano. (Curious wha Bom played? It's the opening sequence of "Don't Cry" :D)

"Omo~" Ji Yong focused the camera to the piano and Bom's slender hands. "Where'd you learn that?"

"Oh this~?" Bom said and continued as her fingers gracefully worked on the next keys. "I had piano lessons when I was younger. This was my composition for the final recital."

Ji Yong listened as Bom continued to finish her piece. He kept his hand steady to film her while she played. When Bom finished, he set down the camera for a while and gave her a round of applause.

"See, you can perform on the stage!" he exclaimed and picked up the camera again.

"It's different when it's just the two of us." she reasoned out.

"But it's one step closer, agree?" Ji Yong said with a smile and patted her head with his free hand.

Bom slowly looked at the camera and asked "What's the next lesson?"

Ji Yong gulped as he looked at Bom's round eyes throught the camera. Her eyes blinked and waited for his answer. He cleared his throat.

"Lesson number four: fall in love." Ji Yong finally said as he help four fingers up.

~~