Giving Up

My Addiction

To ring the doorbell or not. Jiyong rested his finger in the white plastic button.  To press or not. He felt like a stranger to his own home, his real home where he grew up. His real home where things started turning sour with his father. His real home where he ran away and swore that he'll never come back. Yet, here I am again, ringing the doorbell of my own home. It was around early evening. Unsure whether his father was in or not, he made sure to take note if the car was parked in the garage.

Buzz. Buzz. Buzz.

"Yes, who is it?" a female voice from the speaker asked.

"It's me, Jiyong." 

"Omo," he heard the voice said before the gate opened by itself. He made his way to the front door, to the all too familiar yet strangely distant house that was once his home.

"Young master, you're finally home," Mrs. Na, their longtime housekeeper greeted him with a bow as soon as he entered.

"I won't be here for long. My father, he's here right?" he asked and went straight to his father's study. As nervous as he was, he mustered the courage and knocked three times at the heavy oak door.

"Come in," he heard a voice grunt from inside.

Jiyong opened the door without a sound and stepped inside his father's office. He remembered the past when he used to play in the same room. But now, the room was devoid of any warmth. It was bare, with only a desk on one corner, stacked with files and important document, and a crowded bookshelf at the opposite side. He saw his father busy reading from a thick stack of folder. His father didn't look up to see who came in, and just assumed that it was Mrs. Na who would usually bring him a cup of tea before dinner.

"Abeoji."

The sound of Jiyong's voice caused his father to look up in surprise. Jiyong bowed and clenched the brown envelope that he held in his right hand.

"You," his father said as he set down the files he was reading. "What are you doing here?"

"I want to ask for your permission," Jiyong answered and handed the contents of the envelope to his father. His father took it in one sweep and skimmed through the documents. He didn't say a word as he read it, save from occasional grunts and sighs.

"A trainee? For an entertainment company?" He finally said as he quickly handed the contract back to his son. 

"Yes, abeoji," Jiyong nodded. "I needed parental permission before I can join."

"Why would you waste four years in that company just for the training itself? Surely, my son can do better than that."

"Abeoji..."

Before Jiyong can finish his sentence, his father slammed his fist on his desk. "Didn't I tell you time and time again that you, my only son, will inherit the family company? I didn't work hard for all these years building this company just so you could play and goof around. Aren't you being ungrateful?"

"It's not like that, abeoji.." Jiyong said as he looked down on the smooth wooden floor.

"It's time for you to come back home and start getting serious."

"Arasseo," Jiyong said and bowed. "Now I know what to do, abeoji." 

And with that, he left the room and left his own father speechless inside the empty room.

~~

"He's not here again?" Bom asked Seunghyun as she tiptoed and looked beyond his shoulder.

"Nope," Seunghyun shook his head and put his hands inside his school trouser. "But don't worry, I saw him last night. He told me he has another important business to take care of today." 

"I see," Bom muttered as they walked up to the school rooftop again. She wasn't like her usual self and looked down and sad more than the usual. Seunghyun stole quick glances at her direction. There you go again, he thought as he watched her lean against the railings. Seriously Jiyong, you should get your problems straighten out so you could pay more attention to your girl.  

"Yah, Bom," he called out to the distracted girl. "Jiyong wants me to tell you something."

"O?"

"He told me, you shouldn't worry about him. After today, he'll really be back to school and won't skip anymore. And then he'll have all the time for you."

"Jinja? He really told you that?" Bom said as her eyes lit up.

"Mm," he nodded.

"But why not tell me directly? He could send me a message or something." Bom wondered and looked at Seunghyun. "Yah, I have something to ask you. What you said back then, during our showcase, is it--"

"Yes, I am serious about it," Seunghyun interrupted her before she could even finish talking. "But what can I do? I guess I lost to my own best friend."

Bom, unable to find the words to reply, just gulped and blinked back in return. "S-Seunghyun..."

"Don't worry," he answered back with a smile. "I am giving up, this time for real."

"Thank you, for understanding me..."

"I don't want to put you in an awkward position. I also don't want to compromise our friendship, and my friendship with Jiyong. We're friends, right?" Seunghyun said and offered his hands to her.

"Ne, friends." Bom took his hand for a handshake, but all of a sudden, Seunghyun pulled her hand and hugged her. 

"One last time," he softly said to her ear. Damn, I told myself I won't cry, he thought.

~~

"What? You're giving up the contract?" Mr. Lee exclaimed to Jiyong who was in front of him with a 90-degree bow. They were in a meeting room inside the YG building. Jiyong came to him unannounced, and Mr. Lee immediately met up with him thinking he was to accept the contract.

"I'm so sorry," Jiyong answered, still in a bow. He handed the contract back to Mr. Lee. "My father wouldn't let me join."

"Well, if that's the problem, I'm sure we can find a way and convince your father. Tell me where you live and I can set up an appointment staight with Yang CEO."

"Aniyo," Jiyong said with an apology. "I'm afraid it won't work out that way with my father."

"But, what about this golden opportunity?" Mr. Lee said and tried to shove back the contract to Jiyong's hands.

"I do think I'm still not ready for this offer." Jiyong bowed once more. "I really am honored with this offer, and when the time is right, I will definitely reconsider."

"Reconsider?" Mr. Lee repeated. "What do you think of this contract? Something that will wait for you?"

"No, sir." Jiyong answered. "I'll definitely come back, but when the time is right and after going through the right audition process."

"Mworago?"

"Since this contract is an immediate one, I guess my father thought that this is an easy route for me. I'll strive hard and prove to him that I can make it on my own in this path that I choose."

"Er, well..." Mr. Lee readjusted his glasses that rested on the bridge of his nose. "If that's the case, then we'll see when you return. But there won't be any special consideration for you during the audition process. You will be judged based on your own performance against the other applicants."

"Ne, kamsahamnida," Jiyong said and bowed again. "Also, sir, I have one final request." He handed him a small videotape with the label "Fierce project."

"What's this?" Mr. Lee asked as he carefull studied the videotape.

"Remember the girl I told you about from the showcase? This girl, although she isn't that fierce compared to what you're looking for, she has the talent, is strong-willed and hardworking. Please watch the tape and reconsider for her."

"We'll see what I can do about it." Mr. Lee said with a smile and pocketed the tape.

~~

>.< i'm back