No More Secrets

My Addiction

They were finally together after a long time. Bom sat directly across from Jiyong. They were in the same fastfood place near their school. It was the same time of the day. They had their usual food they ordered all the time. Yet, there was something different, something not quite right, this afternoon. Bom played around with her french fries, dipping and dipping them with ketchup without even looking or eating it.

What is this, Bom said to herself. All these times, I keep wanting to talk to him. But now that we're alone, I don't know what to say to him.

Jiyong picked up his glass of soda and pretended to take a sip. He glanced at Bom who was still busy with her french fries. Jiyong waited for Bom to talk to him first since he also didn't know what to say or how to start their conversation.

"Ahh.." they both said at the same time.

"You first," Jiyong said with a smile.

"Ani," Bom said. "You first."

Jiyong cleared his throat and tried to find his voice. "Um, I just wanted to say that I need to pee." he quickly said and stood up. The scraping of his chair sent shivers down her spine.

Sheesh, when did we become so awkward? she thought to her self with a sigh and played with her soda's straw. To her surprise, Jiyong suddenly sat down back again across her and held her hand.

"Park Bom-ah," Jiyong's voice trembled. "I'm really sorry. I don't know where to start so I have no idea what to say. Please forgive this pabo monkey."

"Pffft," Bom said and tried hard to laugh. "You really are something, Kwon Jiyong." She twirled her fingers with his. She noticed how clammy and cold his hand was. He really must be nervous, she thought.

"Bom-ah, I know there's so much that you want to know," Jiyong said. "Ask me anything and I'll answer. And I promise I won't hide anything from you anymore."

"So, do you love me?"

Jiyong almost fell from his seat with the question. "Of course!" he answered with a blush. I didn't expect that, he thought.

Bom giggled and stuck her tongue out. "Mehrong~" Bom said and pouted. "But, seriously, what have you been up to these days Jiyong? You haven't been coming to class." And the last time I saw you, we were here in the same place, but yet you left me when you got a call from another girl, Bom wanted to say but she knew better than to make the situation they're in worse.

"There are a lot of reasons why I was gone for a while," he started as his face started showing a more serious expression. "After our showcase, I didn't tell you this, but I got an offer from an entertainment company."

Bom's eyes widened and she almost spit out her soda. She just blinked and nodded to signal Jiyong to continue what he was saying,

"I met up with a talent agent from YG Entertainment, and I also got to meet the CEO. At first I thought it was for an audition, but it turned out they wanted to offer me a contract." Jiyong went on about how he met a female trainee in the building and how he asked for tips to make a female performer stand out for the company. Jiyong also confessed about his plan to make Bom 'fierce' and to act natural in front of the camera and a huge audience. 

Bom was left speechless, looking at Jiyong the whole time with her wide eyes. The ice cubes in their sodas melted and their drink had gone bland. Her french fries was also left stale. Outside, the sky grew darker, quiter and more mysterious.

"I'm sure you're curious about Hyunmi noona as well," Jiyong said. "But first, I wanted to say sorry for leaving you abruptly at that time when she called. I can explain..."

"Arasseo," Bom answered with a nod, although she herself was unsure whether she would understand.

"When she called me that afternoon, she was crying. And she told me she was leaving for Japan, and that she left my father again. But I guess this time, it's not about something bad. She got another offer as a model in Japan, and she took the chance. And of course, she had to break off her engagement with my father." 

"Hyunmi unnie left?" Bom asked in disbelief. "B-but I didn't even say goodbye to her."

"Don't worry about that. She hates it when people say goodbye to her."

"The contract, Jiyong," Bom asked. "You're going to take it, right?"

Jiyong slowly shook his head and looked down on the floor. "I rejected it," he said with a small voice.

"MWORAGO?" she exclaimed with an almost-shouting voice. "That's a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. Why didn't you take it?"

"Haha," Jiyong stifled a soft weak laugh. "I knew my lady would say that."

"Jiyong-ah, I'm serious."

"I didn't take it because I wouldn't want to be apart from you anymore. I wanted to be with you every moment. That would be impossible once I become a trainee, right?"

"B-but," Bom's voice trailed off. "I don't want you to give up your dreams just because of me. That's your dream. Of course I would understand you."

"Park Bom-ah," Jiyong reached out for her hand. "Don't worry, I haven't given up on my dream. But I rejected the contract, too, because I needed parental consent."

"Ohh," Bom slowly nodded, relieved that she wasn't the reason, but at the same time worried at the mention of his father. "Don't you want to talk to him? I could accompany you..."

"I already did."

"Jinja?" she asked. "What happened? Gwenchana?"

"He didn't want me to."

"Don't lose hope Jiyong. I'll help you convince him. We can go together."

"There's no need, my lady," Jiyong answered. "I'm going to convince him, alright, but I'd rather show it through my actions than through words."

"What do you mean?"

"There will be an open audition at YG this autumn. I'm going to audition, and show my father that I can do it and that I have what it takes to succeed and make it. You'll audition with me, arasseo?"

But before Bom could answer to that, Jiyong's phone suddenly buzzed. Another call, just like before, Bom thought as she tried to look at the screen with no avail. Jiyong looked at Bom as he answered the phone.

"O, it's me," he said to the receiver.

"Monkey!" It was Seunghyun on the other line. "Today's the day."

"You're leaving? Already?"

"Ne. Are you with Bom?"

"Ne."

"Have you told her everything she wanted to know?"

"Ne."

"Good boy." Seunghyun chuckled.

"Yah, hurry up and leave already." Jiyong joked.

"I have one last request, monkey. Don't tell Bom that I'm going away. And take care of her."

"Arasseo, arasseo." 

Bom watched her boyfriend as he hung up the phone. She blinked twice and waited for him to tell her who was on the line.

"It's Seunghyun."

"Ahh, I see," Bom nodded.

"He told me not to tell anything to you," Jiyong said. "But, what should I do? I already made a promise to my girlfriend that I won't hide anything from her anymore."

"Did something happen?" Bom said and she tried to hide her blushing cheeks with her cold hands.

"He's going away to Jeju to help with his family's company. He's a chaebol son."

"Going away? You mean for the weekend?"

"Aniyo," Jiyong slowly shook his head. "He'll probably stay there for a year or so..."

"What!?"

"Yaaa, he told me not to tell you. And besides, knowing him, he'll be back sooner than we think."

The sky outside turned a deep blue as the night came. Jiyong's hands reached once again for Bom's. She made a face at him and watched as he gave her hand a soft kiss.

"Well, shall I walk my lady home?"

Bom gave a shy smile and stood up with Jiyong. They went home in the dark blue sky, hand in hand, in the promise that they won't keep secrets from each other again,

~~