Into The New World

My Addiction

Bom rubbed her eyes. The shrill ring of her alarm clock woke her up in the middle of the cold autumn night. Uhh, what time is it? she asked and glanced at her clock. Four in the morning? Too early... she thought and pulled back her covers under her chin. Then she suddenly remembered what day was today.

It's the day when she finally start training at YGE, and also the day where she will be moving to the dorms with other trainees. According to the meeting they had during the past week, all trainees must stay at the dorms during the duration of the training period. Continuing school was optional and Bom had decided she still wanted to continue her studies until she finished high school. And today was the day that all trainees are to be picked up and brought to the dorm early in the morning.

Her bedroom door opened and her mother walked in. She had two suitcases in her hand that she set down on the floor. Bom went to her and started packing her things.

"Umma," Bom said. "I'm going to miss you."

"Look at my daughter," her mother replied with a warm smile. "All grown up now. I can't believe you're leaving us already."

"Umma, it's not like I'm going away to another country."

"I know, I know." she gave a motherly smile to Bom. "But always remember we're so proud of you, Bom."

Bom nodded and smiled back. She packed all the necessary clothes and items she will need in the dorm. She made sure to pack her make-up, skin care, sheet masks, vitamins, books, and even the corn stuffed toy Jiyong got for her during their amusement park date. She glanced at her mother who helped her with packing and noticed that she was trying hard to choke back on her tears.

"Work hard during your training, okay?"

"Ne umma."

"But don't forget to have fun, Bom. What's important is that you're enjoying yourself."

Bom nodded and gave her mother a backhug, which was a surprise for her. Her mother chuckled and finally zipped up the two suitcases filled with Bom's stuff. Bom had to sit on top of the luggage so they would close completely. 

"I'm all set," she said as she stretched her whole body.

"You already know what you should do? Be a good girl, okay?"

"Ne, umma, I'll be good," Bom nodded and gave an 'ok' sign with her hand. "But only if my dormmates will follow my rules. Don't touch my make-up, don't touch my health food, and don't touch my corn."

"Aigoo, silly girl," her mother said to herself as she walked out of her room.

There was still time before the van would pick her up. Bom the little television in her room. But there were no good shows that was on air at this time. She just picked a random channel. The first channel she picked was foreign news. Nope, she thought and flipped the channels again. The next one showed music videos, and it currently aired SNSD's debut song, Into The New World.

Oh, Bom thought as she increased the volume. She watched the nine girls singing and dancing in the screen. So if things would turn out well, I'll be like this in the future, huh. I'll be an idol? She was lost in her thoughts and daydream until she heard a van honking outside and her mother already calling out for her. 

Bom hurriedly turned off the television, grabbed her jacket from and suitcases. She stopped for a while before the doorway of her room and looked back at her bedroom for the last time. Goodbye room, Bom thought before she finally closed the lights and stepped out to the new world.

~~

Late morning, and everyone who passed the auditions gathered at one of the dance rooms in YG Building. They took turns introducing themselves and getting to know each other. As an icebreaker, each of them have to say two trivia or facts about them.

"Kwon Jiyong imnida," Jiyong introduced himself with a big smile. "Err, two things about me? One, I probably was a monkey in my past life." Snickers and giggles were heard from the small crowd. "Two, Park Bom who is also here today is my lady." As he finished his sentence, Bom's face turned crimson red. Everyone teased the two while Dara nudged Bom closer to Jiyong.

"Mr. & Mrs. Monkey," somebody quipped from the crowd.

Their first day as trainees was fun since it was mostly assessment of their talents and orientation of the company. Bom, Jiyong, Dara and Seunghyun met the other trainees who passed the same audition.

First they met was Kang Daesung. Jiyong remembered him as #430 who was with them during the auditions. He gave a kind smile and bowed to them. He also impressed the others with his voice and wide range.

Next up was Gong Minji, a petite and quiet girl who had the similar facial features with Daesung. She was a dancer and she sampled for them some of her moves. Bom initially thought that Minji and Daesung were siblings because of their looks. 

"A-aniyo," the flustered Minji answered. "But now that I look at it, I guess we do look alike?"

"Maybe we're long-lost siblings or something?" Daesung joked around.

There was another guy named Seunghyun in the group. Lee Seunghyun, who was another dancer. He had a charming and impish smile. His boyish looks seemed to contradict his sensual body movements. 

"There's another one named Seunghyun here?" he asked with a small laugh. "I guess to avoid confusion, I'd rather be called by my nickname, Seungri."

The last girl who introduced herself was soft spoken and very demure. She introduced herself as Lee Hayi and she turned out to be the youngest out of all of them. She belted out a few notes from an original song she composed which left them in awe of her soulfull voice.

While the group took a break, they were also greeted by the older trainees Lee Chaerin and Dong Youngbae. Chaerin remembered Jiyong whom she met before and waved at him.

"Hey, you made it!" she greeted him. "So, did your girlfriend also get in?"

"Ne, it's all thanks to your advice," Jiyong said and bowed. He pulled Bom over and introduced her to Chaerin. "This is my lady, Park Bom."

"It's nice to meet you," Chaerin said and shook hands with her.

"Ne, same here," Bom said and gave a bow. "Please take care of me." She felt nervous from meeting too many people in one day. But she kept telling herself that these were the people she'll be close friends with and spend their trainee days together.

~~

As the days passed by, life as a trainee become harder and harder. The pressure increased and the standards have heightened up. Although everyone was friendly with each other, tension and competition still loomed in the air where they would constantly try to outdo each other.

They were typically divided into two groups, the vocal and the dance groups. There were lucky trainees who belonged in both groups, and Jiyong was one of them. Using that to his advantage, he would always go and join wherever Bom is.

Bom was fine with that arrangement since she would be with Jiyong all the time. But sometimes being together was distracting for both of them. There were numerous times that they would get scolded by their mentors for not concentrating and for just goofing around during practice. Although, there were some times when the Bom and Jiyong could not be together, especially if it was an all-female or an all-male practice only. 

Life at the dorms were the same as well. Although the two dorms are just right across each other, there were strict rules about not letting boys inside the girl's dorm, and vice-versa. Her roommates were okay too. Bom was the unnie among the girls, and being the eldest gave her a sense of responsibility which actually helped her get rid of her shyness.

This life might take some time to completely get used to. Struggling to balance practicing and schooling was not an easy feat. But as long as they enjoyed their youth, it wouldn't be too much of a burden. I walked into this new world by my own decision, Bom thought. New world, please be good to me.

~~

Okay, there will be a huge time jump on the next chapter! Thanks for reading. :3