Father's lament

Human Heart

Chapter 28

 

            Suho froze on his spot while staring at his cousin. He’s been trying to register what the latter had said but no matter how much he tries, he still can’t process the situation.

Seeing his cousin with no responds, Myungsoo sighed, wipes his tears off, sat back properly on his seat then continued to drive.

“Auntie killed herself because of severe depression hyung.”

“De… pre… ssion?” Suho utters.

“The story happened when you and Yram are both out of the town for the school trip.”

Suho remembers that day. He and Yram are both excited coz they’ll be going on a camp with Baekhyun and Chanyeol. Since his sister is with the siblings, he volunteered to join their team to accompany her. It was a happy event for them. But, the situation on their home while they’re gone is something he doesn’t know. And it’s what he wants to hear from his cousin.

“Uncle said, he left his office early that day due to a cancelled meeting so he decided to surprise your mom by going to her shop.”

Suho’s father is the Vice President of the hotel that owned by Baekhyun’s father while his mother is a fashion designer and has a small yet elegant shop a bit far from the said hotel.

“He was happy that day that he even brought a bouquet of flowers that your mom loves the most but, as soon as he enters the shop, he was the one who got surprised.” Myungsoo said as he finally spotted the car they’ve been pursueing since they left the place where they got the envelope that Suho has been holding the whole time.

“What happened? Tell me WHAT HAPPENED?!” Suho shouted due to eagerness to hear the truth. Myungsoo just restrains himself from talking back to his cousin and continue what the latter wants to hear.

“He saw auntie intimately kissing another man.”

Suho’s eyes widened in disbelief. His sweet, loving mother… a cheater? That can’t be true. He tries to convince himself but, the truth has been told. He wants to cry yet he can't anymore, shout, and throw everything he can but, he stays still on his seat, staring at his cousin whose focus is on the road.

“Neither I, can’t believe what he said. But, I knew uncle. And you know him too.”

“Who…” before Suho could asks who the other man could be, Myungsoo already knew it.

“He’s auntie’s client. Daniel Wu. Sounds familiar?” he asks as he took a glance at his cousin. Suho shakes his head.

“But, when we came back from the trip, we didn’t sense or noticed that there’s already a problem between them. They were happy.” Suho stated as he remembers how their parents ask them how fun the trip was.

            “It was an act hyung. And the reason why you were brought here was also a lie.”

 

            Suho’s father, Kim Tae Ho ordered his wife to act as if nothing’s wrong with them whenever their children is around but if not, like when they’re at school, he would spend his time at his office, ignoring every call and messages that his wife’s been sending to him. He’s hurt. Really, really hurt that everytime he remembers that horrible scene, it breaks his heart and he felt he died that day. If it’s not because of his children, he already killed his own wife but he didn’t. He still loves her yet, not like before. So, one night, while staying at his office, he thought of a plan for the sake of his children.

 

“Are you sure about this Tae Ho? What if they asks why?” a guy in a suit and same age as him asks. Both of them are inside Tae Ho’s office enjoying a glass of whisky and seated in front of each other.

“It’s hard Chan Byeol. But, I would like my children on my side before Sofia thinks about getting their custody. Please help me on this.”

Chan Byeol sighed, placed his empty glass on the table, then stared at his dear friend. “I’ll help. You know how much my sons like your children. Especially Baekhyun, he likes Yram. You know that.” both of them chuckles.

“So, are you going to help me?”

“Yeah. For one condition.”

“Go ahead. What is it?”

 

 

“You will what?! Are you out of your mind?!” Suho’s mother almost shouted upon hearing what her husband wants to do about their children.

“Shut up.” Tae Ho softly said but irritation is readable on his expression. He doesn’t want his children to hear what they are talking about. They are inside their room in the middle of the night, discussing about the plan of sending their children to South Korea. As expected, Sofia reacted against it.

“But, hon…”

“Don’t call me that” Tae Ho madly said while pointing on his sobbing wife. “They will go to Korea and that’s final.” When he noticed that she’s about to respond, he immediately added “Don’t you dare oppose or I will tell them what you did. You don’t want to be disgusted by your own kids, didn’t you?” that words made Sofia held shut. She weeps harder while staring at her mad husband. She knew how much sin she did on him and she already regrets it the moment he saw what she did.

Since that incident, she never contacted the guy involved. She didn’t go out their house and obeyed everything what her husband told her to do in front of their kids to convince him that she’s sorry for her mistake. But, this time, she’s hesitant. She doesn’t want to be away from her children.

Tae Ho grabs his hoodie, phone and car keys while being watched by his sobbing wife, who’s kneeling on the floor. He didn’t look at her coz he’s afraid that he might broke and rush to her to comfort her so he restrains himself. He’s hurt.  He walks towards the door and when he’s about to pursue out…

“I’m their mother. I have every right to fight for them.” Tae Ho turns around with a frown. He saw Sofia standing.

He smirks. “Do it. Let’s see what a brat like you can do.” Sofia’s eyes widened in disbelief and just watched her husband went out.

 

*see chapter 25 

 

“Why do we have to go to Korea?” Joon Myun asks.

            Tae Ho and Sofia looks at each other. “Don’t talk.” He mentally said on Sofia. As much as she wants to oppose, she did what he wants.

            “Well, your mom and I thought that it’s time for both of you to experience my homeland’s culture. It’s kinda unfair for me that you two are only spending your life in luxury in your mom’s favor.” Tae Ho lied. Sofia fakes a pout. The two teenagers look at each other then chuckles too as they saw how they parents are acting cutely in front of them. Not realizing the real situation.

            “Okay fine.” Their mom says crossing her arms in her front. “I didn’t force you to live here with me.” She said, now darting glares to her husband.

            This fake scene looks normal for their children yet, it’s not for the adults. Tae Ho, disgusted already just by sitting beside his wife and Sofia, fighting the urge of crying in front of their kids.

            “Now, can we go back to the topic?” Yram asks after faking a cough to get their attentions. Joon Myun smiled and their parents cleared their throat.

            “Yes. Right” Tae Ho says.

            “As what your father had mentioned, it’s for the best of you so…” Sofia’s in the middle of her script when got cut off when Yram spoke.

            “Literally, mom’s a German. How come we haven’t been to her homeland? If you want us to experience both of your cultures, we should have been there too, right?” Joon Myun nods contiously, agreeing on his sister’s query. This made the adults silent. “We even haven’t seen our grandma.” She added.

            Silence wraps the whole room for a few seconds. This question made the couple froze. Sofia’s about to tell the truth yet…

            “ Well…  I am the answer.” Sofia stiffened. “Your mom…” Tae Ho said as he held his wife’s hand, earning a smile from her. But then felt Tae Ho’s grip tighten. “… her family is one of the richest family in Germany. Your grandma was against our relationship back then. But, your mom here loves your dad so much!” Tae Ho even acted hugging himself to make the kids believe his little lie. But, this act earns him a light punch on his chest from his wife. “Ouch!” he cleared his throat then faced them as manly as he can.

            “So, to make the story short. I chose your dad. Left Germany with him. And lived here at Paris instead. Further question?” Sofia said. The siblings just shake their head and nods. “Good.” She said then drunk her tea.

            “Ow~ you’re so cool.” Their dad said in amusement. Of course, it was an act too.

            “Okay. So why do you want us to leave all of a sudden? Obviously, we love here. We’ve been living here from the very beginning of our live. Why?” Yram asks.

            “We have a business in South Korea, and I want you…” their father looks at Joon Myun “… to run that business.”

            “Why do you have to include me?” Yram asks.

            “Because I need YOU” Joon Myun said in wide eyes.

            “Your brother’s right. Your name may not be just like him but still, he’s your brother. At  the end of the day, you two we’re the only one who can help each other. So, I want you two to be together all the time. Do you understand me?” It might be a simple advice but, behind those words, there’s a hidden message that Sofia wants them to understand.

 

 

“The day after you left, uncle left your home and stayed at the hotel where he works. Since then, he didn’t talk or see auntie even once.” Myungsoo stated, turning left as he saw the car they chasing did.

Suho recalls one of the days he talks to his dad on the phone. Whenever he asks where his mom was, his dad would tell stories like ‘she’s out on a business trip’ or ‘he’s too busy to take a call’. None of it made him suspects that something wrong’s been happening to his parents. If he only knew, well, what could he possibly do? He’s only a teen that time.

Especially the last time he called his dad. It was the very last time he heard his voice and it’s because of a tragic event.

 

“Calm down son. Tell me what happened.” Tae Ho worriedly said. It was an early call from his son at his office and hearing his sobbing son on the phone made him stood up from his seat. He already wants to fly to where his kid was to comfort him.

“Papa. Yram. She’s… she’s in a coma. Papa I’m sorry.” Tae Ho stops from getting his coat when he heard the bad news that the only thing he could hear is his son’s crying voice. “Papa I’m sorry. I shouldn’t have left her. I shouldn't have gone to the school trip without her. I’m sorry I kept it from you for a month. I thought she would wake up but, until now, she’s not. I already I spent all our savings on her bills. I don’t know what to do papa. I’m so sorry.” Hearing how his son blames himself made him returns to reality.

“Shh. Joon. Listen to papa. I’ll be there okay. Wait for me. I’ll send you cash for everything okay. I’m sorry son.” Tae Ho finally sobs. “I promise I’ll be there to take care of you. Don’t stress yourself now. Okay.”

“Okay papa. I tried calling mama but…”

“Don’t. I mean. I’ll tell her okay. Rest now son.”

 

“I didn’t even saw my dad for the last time.” Suho sadly said.

“Yeah. And that’s because of the stupid bank buglar. You should be thankful that Samantha’s very powerful that she caught that jerk just days before you died.” Myungsoo said. Suho smiles hearing who help him gets the one who's responsible for his death.

“She must be very mad when he heard about my death.” Suho chuckles.

“Hell yeah dude. She paid everyone she knows just to hunt your killer. And when she saw him, well, the rest is history that she and his men only knows. But for sure, you have an idea what she did.” Suho glance at his cousin. He knew what he’s talking about. “A person in love can do crazy stuffs for their love one.”

“Yup. She does.” It’s the only thing Suho could respond as he looks outside the window.

 

After two days of receiving a call from his son, Tae Ho had already arranged all his stuffs and ready to leave in an hour to Korea. It worries him more when he doesn’t hear a call again from his son confirming if he receives the cash he sent.

He was in front of the mirror fixing his tie when the door opens up. A guy in a suit appeared and bows down as a greeting.

“Bring my luggages in the car. Inform Chan Byeol that I’ll be gone in a while.” He said to the guy yet, the guy he just mentioned appeared.

“No need. I heard the news from my son.” Chan Byeol said. Tae Ho’s man took his luggages and left the room.

Tae Ho turns around then sighed. “Don’t worry about anything here. I’ll take care of it.” Chan Byeol said, tapping his friend’s shoulder.

“Thanks. My kids need me now.” Tae Ho said.

They are about to leave the room when Chan Byeol stops to answer a call.

“Hon. What’s wrong” Tae Ho saw how worried his friend was. He waited but then got tensed when Chan Byeol looks at him. Surprised, shock, scared? What’s wrong? He frowns when his friend slowly puts down his phone while staring at him.

“What’s wro…” what his friend told him made him finally break down.

“Sofia. Mina, my wife…she saw her hanging on your room. She’s dead Tae Ho.”

 

"Uncle, he suffered a lot hyung. A daughter in coma. A dead wife. And few days after your mom's burial, he will see his son lying in a coffin too. He's miserable hyung. You should have seen how he grieves for all of you."