Chapter 5 - The Leader and his Priorities

Shinee's no Ordinary Date

onew1.jpg 

(Waah Onew!)

 

“Kimchi…soup…rice balls…” Onew checks the lunchbox he prepared for today’s shooting. My sweet ordinary girlfriend, he chuckled. People do have short imaginations nowadays. The concept is exactly like Mnet scandal except that he has to hide the show from his other members. It’s for our upcoming comeback anyway, I’m sure my dongsaengs will forgive me.

When he finished packing the lunchbox, he turned around and found Taemin leaning on the kitchen’s door, “Where are you going hyung?” He asked curiously.

“I-I’m…uhm,” Onew wasn’t prepared for a sudden interrogation but then he remembered the new rule.”You know I can’t tell you, we’re supposed to keep our schedules to ourselves.”

Maknae’s eyes narrowed at his hyung’s suspicious behavior. Onew passed by him and ruffled his hair, “have fun today, it’s the last free day we have.”

I let you go for now hyung, Taemin thought. Besides he found something more interesting than Onew’s weirdness.

He found a contract from MBnet and Jonghyun’s signature was on it.

Jonghyun hyung is dating someone…

---&---

Onew’s point of view

 

It was 4:30 in the afternoon when manager hyung drove me out of the dorm.

“You’re a weird one Onew, the taping is still at 6 pm and you’re going to the location this early? You’re pretty excited on dating someone.” My manager remarked.

“Excited?” I laughed; it’s a waste of time. I should be practicing for our comeback right now.”Not really, I’m just making sure that everything will go well. It’s not good to disappoint the staffs.”

“You’re a responsible person…expected from SHINEE’s leader. You’ll always be successful if you keep on your pace. Oh, here we are!” Manager stopped the car. I thanked him and went out.

Be always successful? No, what I’m doing right now is not enough; I still need to work harder.

I never cared about success when I was still a kid. I was the carefree child before; the type of kid who never cares about deep problems and such. Believe me, up until now all I want to do is have fun, go to other places and sing any song I want. But I won’t do that, no. I changed when I was ten years old. I’ve never been so determined, not until…that person left me thirteen years ago. That person is important to me. That’s why whenever I get so tired in this industry, I remember what words that person say and I go back working hard again. I’ll let you see how successful I am and maybe…just maybe, you’ll come back.

And to get there, I need to meet my new girlfriend and talk business before the real taping begins. It wasn’t easy to know who she is but by having a good attitude and flattering some people from the crew, I was able to get the information I need. I arrived at Hyu Me’s working place via taxi. I entered the restaurant and went to the counter. As expected the cashier’s eyes lit up when she saw me. “Do you have a worker named Kim Hyu Me? I would like to talk to her a bit.” I said in the most polite voice I can manage.

“Don’t you think it’s too early to show up? You’re in a wrong place mister.” A voice said behind me. I turned around to see who it is. She had her dark red hair tied in a ponytail and she’s wearing loose shirt and pants---simple clothes. She wears simple clothes but it can never hide the beauty she has with her deep green eyes and white complexion. “You’re Kim Hyu Me, aren’t you?”

People were staring at us but I figured it won’t ruin my image since we are going to be virtual couple soon. “Can I talk to you in private?” I asked her. She gave me a strange smile as her reply. It gave me the feeling she knows why I am already here.

 

Kim Hyu Me’s point of view

I was curious when he first arrived in the restaurant. There are still few hours before we officially meet but he came to me…alone; no manager or staff, just him. I observed his moves and his gestures and noticed one thing.

He’s protecting his image.

I can see it clearly. Within a snap, I suddenly knew what he’s up to. He’s going to talk business with me. He’ll probably ask me to be good and not cause trouble in the set. Self-loving people, tsk…they annoy me. Among the SHINEE members I thought I would like him the most. Observing him now, I guess I’m wrong.

I led him to a vacant room where we keep our stocks in the restaurant. “You can drop you’re act in front of me Onew. What is it?” He looked surprised when I said that. He paused for one moment and then laughed. “That’s good Kim Hyu Me but you’re mistaken I’m not a bad person.”

Just a bad attitude, I thought. I crossed my arms and smiled. If he’s going to play coolly then so will I, “I know you’re not, so why are you here then?”

“I just want to ask a simple favor,” he told me, “actually it’s not even a favor. Let’s just get along well in our dating days and---”

“And make the crew happy so that they’ll have good recordings and so that viewers will like the show and so that the TV ratings will go high and so that you’ll have a successful comeback and you’ll be more famous than ever, right?” I said with a sweet smile and pure tone of sarcasm.

Onew’s smile disappeared. Maybe I am being rude to him but I can’t stand people using me for their own good. I wonder who’s worse between the two of us. I’m the one lying to him right now anyway. “Yes, that’s what I truly meant” He said in very low voice. His eyes were on the ground. He looked up and I saw a new determination in his face, “At first I really did consider this as pure business but you know Hyu Me, you’re interesting. You intimidate me” He gave me a one sided smile. “Maybe I’d really want to be friends with you.”

I wasn’t so sure if that was a compliment but it did make me nervous. I hope it doesn’t show to my face. “I’ll play along with you. Don’t worry,” I told him. He went near me and extended his hand. I took it and we both shake hands. “I’ll see you later Hyu Me-shii”

“Arraseo Onew oppa” I said and he left. I checked my watch, it’s already 5pm. Only one hour and I’m seeing him again.

­---&---

“Are you okay Hyu Me? You look pale.”

“I never liked water,” I commented. “It feels like it would eat me whole.”

I am in a small boat; one from the crew is rowing it. We were heading to a small islet in the middle of the lake. Onew and I will be meeting there. Ahjussi smiled kindly at me when he noticed my blank face, “I don’t think I’ll ever understand why you accepted this job, my child.” I avoided his gaze. There’s no point in answering, he’ll never understand. “The longer this show is my child, the harder it will be for you.”

“It will be harder?” I repeated. “How?”

“Time will come when you’ll start caring for the four of them. It’ll be a tough job to hide the truth from them.”

“Ahaha that’s…that’s impossible!” I meant when I said that but still I stuttered and undeniably, my heart made a sickening flip. What if I’d do start caring for them? “Thanks for this conversation ajhussi, I feel really better” I said bitterly. The old man chuckled, “I’m just giving you a warning my child.”

I stepped out of the boat and went to the middle of the islet. It’s a small patch of land; only five meters wide. It is surrounded with candles and in the middle, there is a picnic clothe with red petals around it. “It’s…it’s so beautiful” I said with a sigh. Most people might see this as a romantic place before they say it’s beautiful but not for me. I have spent my two years in Korea shutting myself, working and visiting my dad was my only routine. Seeing this makes me feel that there’s something more to discover and live for other than just collecting money and paying debts to the hospital as I wait hopelessly for my father to wake up.

“It is, isn’t it?” I turned around and saw Onew. I smiled at him, he’s holding a basket and a single rose. “So are you---”

I pointed at myself, “You’re ordinary girlfriend.”

He smiled in a satisfied way and went near me; he extended the rose to give it to me but just when he was so near, he tripped and fell on the ground. As a girlfriend I should’ve asked if he was okay but I didn’t, instead…

I laughed…so hard!

His face went beet red, he pulled me down and I ended sitting beside him. Onew gave me the rose and I accepted it.

And so the dating starts here…

 

Onew’s point of view

 

We chatted as we sat on the middle of the islet. We get along too fine no one would expect we had a bad conversation before this. I have to take credit of how Hyu Me can handle the situation too. She’s really good. It must be from her acting skills or maybe she’s really sincere.

 Since the place was too small, the crew just put cameras around us. I didn’t like it. Sometimes I forget that we’re being filmed.

“I prepared something for you to eat.” I said and handed her the lunchbox I prepared awhile ago.

“Let me guess, it has chicken inside it.” She joked as she received the box. At that moment, I was able to hold a slight part of her hand. I frowned, “You’re freezing Hyu Me and you look very pale.”

“You noticed, huh?” She bit her lip. She looks queasy and nervous. “I really don’t like being near deep waters.”

Without even thinking, I grabbed both of her hands and rubbed them against mine. “You’ll feel warmer this way and it will calm you down.” I have a feeling she doesn’t want to tell me why she’s afraid of the lake so I didn’t ask.

“Thank you, Onew oppa.”

This can’t be an act, right?

I get so confuse on whether she’s acting or not that I hesitate every action I do; especially when she smiles. That action really bothers me, whenever she smiles it makes me forget the Hyu Me I met awhile ago. It looks so sincere…and beautiful. Ugh, get a grip Onew.

“How did you know I like chicken anyway? I mean most of my fans do know, but you’re not a fan. I can see you’re not the type who shouts at boys performing onstage.” I said while I continued on rubbing her hands.

“My friend Yui has shared me some trivia about SHINEE, she’s a big fan of yours.” She replied as she stared at our hands.

I stared at the nearest camera and waved at it, “Hi Yui! Thanks for giving trivias to Hyu Me.”

“She’s gonna love that so much.” She remarked. “Let’s eat the chickens, I bet you’ve been wanting to eat them eversince you finished cooking them.”

“You’re right about that.” I agreed.

When we were half way finishing our dinner, there was a red light from the other side. It was a signal that the show’s about to end. I glanced at Hyu Me and chuckled. Unlike other girls who eat daintily, Hyu Me was devouring the chicken without the slightest poise. “You’re that hungry?”

“Not really, I’m just grateful you cooked for me. Nobody has done this to me for that last two years”

Last two years? But that’s too long!

Strong…unique…mysterious…and lonely

If I were to define her, it would definitely be these four words.

 

Kim Hyu Me’s point of view

 

I felt proud for myself. I managed to hide how moved I was when he offered the lunchbox to me. Scripted or not, the gesture made me happy. I ate as much as I can; knowing that this only comes out once in a blue moon.

“I have one last present for you” Onew said. He took out his handphone and headphones. “Have you heard of our upcoming comeback next week?”

I nodded. He put one of the headphones in my ear and the other to his. “The title of the song is Sherlock. The music video will be released next week but since you’re my girlfriend, I want you to be the first person to see it.”

“What?” My reflex made me said that, “I can’t accept that. That’s too much.” I was about to take the headphone out of my ear but Onew’s hand stopped me. “Hyu Me, please… I really want you to see this first.” Suddenly I was meeting his eyes. What’s he playing at? I know he wants to be sweet and all but this honor is too much.

With much effort I accepted it. Honestly I am a bit excited, this will be the first Korean music video I’ll be seeing for years and not to mention four of them are my ‘supposed-to-be-boyfriends’ and one I’ve already met and talked.  Onew pressed the play button and the video started.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kyG5tTZ1iE&ob=av2e

“What do you think?”

“You…you guys really perform well.” I said, amazed of what I saw. “The choreography is really difficult and amazing. Your voices are good too, it blended well.” I didn’t notice myself staring at Onew for a long time.

“What is it?” He asked.

“Nothing, it’s just that… now I kind of know why you’re famous.” I gave out a small laugh “I guess I’ve underestimated you too much. I’m sorry”

“Actually, I like you underestimating me. I mean I’d really appreciate if you’d just treat me normally” He said in a shy way.

“Don’t worry, I will.” I stood up when I saw the red light. “Thank you for tonight Onew oppa. I enjoyed it.”

We both ride at the same boat. Onew did the rowing this time. “Are you okay? Don’t worry, we’ll be safe.  Just hang on, we’ll be back on the ground soon.”

“You can drop the act,” I said while staring at the cold water. “There are no cameras in this boat anyway.”

“Who said I was acting?” I looked at him, flabbergasted. My expression must have been funny since he chuckled. “Hyu Me you’re right when I said I want high ratings but as what I’ve told you earlier, I am not a bad person. Most of what I said and did at that islet was sincere. But of course I think before I act. My top priority is still the ratings and how the viewers would react to this.”

For a guy who thinks too much about his popularity, he sure does impress me.

“Onew remember when you said I intimidate you?”

“Yes. Why?”

“Don’t worry because you actually intimidate me too.”

I smiled back when he smiled. Ratings…that’s his—no—that’s our top priority now.

I wasn’t wrong after all.

Among the SHINEE members…

I do like Mister Onew the most…

 

 

 

End! :) be posting another chapter later at 3am. Just sharing, thanks for reading :)