Chapter 21 - My punishment Under that Lampost

Shinee's no Ordinary Date

 

2705654788_66aa5de2bd.jpg

 

Silent… or… Noisy?

Awkward… or…. Comfortable?

How would you describe a scenario where two famous idols, one normal girl, and a normal college student are having a sudden double date in a small crowded restaurant full of sneaky fans and prying camera men?

The four young people awkwardly shoot glances to each other with their own thoughts roaming in their head.

Yuri looks at Minho with a phony smile. She has liked the ‘Rival couple’ at once when she first saw them together in TV. She didn’t want to be the reason for any misunderstanding between them.

Minho stares at his hyung with surprise and curious expression. He wonders why his here all of a sudden. Did Minsuk know that he will be bringing Yuri along with all the staff in the show tonight? Or did he really visit Hyu Me to date?

Minsuk on the other hand is wondering how Hyu Me feels about seeing the MinYul tandem together. His brother started another childish game between the two of them.

Hyu Me, who is the center of everyone’s attention right now, is in her own serious thoughts. Her eyebrows were pulled together as she squints her green eyes to Yuri. She blinks a lot of times as she stares at her intensely.

A naïve girl, that’s what Hyu Me is. She doesn’t see the tension building up, the growing change of the viewers’ heart, the whole intention of Minho. She doesn’t see any of it! You know what she sees?

Only her Yuri unnie.

“Anyeong Hyu Me-shii, I’m pleased to meet you.” Yuri said awkwardly.

Hyu Me beamed like a little kid, “U-unie, you’re very, very, very pretty.” She expressed. People inside the restaurant were flustered at Hyu Me’s expression. Every one of them was expecting her to be cold to Yuri, seeing Minho is with her.

“You think Yuri is pretty?” Minho suddenly interjected. Hyu Me nods at once.

He puts an arm around Yuri, “Do you know there were rumours that we were dating before?” he asked again. Some fans gasped, others squealed. Their eyes are all trained to Hyu Me now.

Everyone was expecting a dark or angry expression from her but she surprises them again by clasping her hand excitedly. “No, but seeing you two together now, I think those rumours weren’t just rumours. Keke you two really look good together. What do you think oppa?”

She turns her head to Minsuk whose eyes were wide with amazement on how Hyu Me is acting right now. He searched those green eyes with any sign of hiding any bad feelings; he found none. She’s saying all of it sincerely. He can’t help but smile to this peculiar girl beside her. He pats her head, “I think so too Hyu Me. These two idols really look good together.”

She’s just pulling another drama. Acting like she doesn’t care. Pathetic it may be, Minho is doing his best to convince himself that this was the case; that Hyu Me is jealous.

Amidst the small conversation among the four young people, fans have circulated their new opinion. Before, all of them were hardcore fans of the ‘Rival couple’ but now, seeing the double date and Hyu Me’s reaction, some of them have changed their hearts.

Yuri and Minho looks good together…I miss MinYul!

Choi Minsuk and Hyu Me are making me crazy with their small sweet actions…

Hyu Me is daebak! Could it be that she really prefers Minsuk over Minho?

 

Another preference that leads to a comparison…

Fans have hit something Minho never liked again. He’s confidence dropped to dead zero.

 

Minho’s point of View

 

How stupid can I be?

I should’ve known Hyu Me won’t fall for this type of childish game. I brought my closest friend in SNSD to make her jealous but she only say we look good together.  She smiles like she really is happy for the two of us.

As I look at hyung patting her head, the smallest part of me is saying that the plan has backfired. But I didn’t want to accept that fact because if I do, that would only mean that I’m jealous with the two of them.

“Move away people! Food is here!” Soolpik-ssi, the owner of the restaurant is bringing the food himself. When Hyu Me heard his voice, she stood up at once and helped him. “Aigoo, sit down you little kid!” He scolds her seriously.

She pouts and sits. She looked uneasy as her boss serves her. “Ajhussi, let me do it.”

“Behave Hyu Me,” he finished serving everything. He bows down and told us to enjoy. He took one last glance at her and said something between gritted teeth. “When the clock strikes, no matter how fun it is, Cinderella must still go back and do her duties, Arasseo?”

I didn’t understand what that meant but Hyu Me did swallow hard and nodded dutifully. She checks her watch frequently after that. What’s wrong with her? It looks like ajhussi and she are hiding something.

“Everyone I have something to say,” Hyung said breaking my focus at Hyu Me. “The Milady Viena’s ball will be held next week and I would like to invite the three of you.”

“Oooh! I have always wanted to go to that ball oppa!” Yuri said beside me. She turned her attention to Hyu Me. “It’s a formal party in honor to the one and only love of Sir Montaque. He is the founder of Seoul University.”

I have to smirk at the look of Hyu Me, everyone in Korea already knows the story of Sir Montaque and yet here she is looking dumbfounded. “The ball is a re-enactment of Sir Montaque’s love for Milady Viena. Girls would stand up in the middle of the stage one by one and boys who like that girl would kneel in front of her and offers her a flower.”

“The flowers given are exact replica to the flower that Sir Montaque offered to Milady Viena 50 years ago.” I added to hyung’s explanation. I turned to her, “Hyu Me, remember the flower you plucked? They let that grow for that event. I heard they were suppose to hold this event early but since you plucked it,”

 “OPPA, “she said to hyung, cutting my intentions in making her guilty. “I don’t mean to be rude or anything but isn’t kneeling in front of a girl with a flower is quite usual? Why is this Sir Monta-whatever different?”

Yuri shook her head and patted Hyu Me’s hand, “Oh it’s not the action that matters Hyu Me. It’s the dark story behind when Sir Montaque hands the flower to Milady Viena. There is a poem that tells the whole story. Hmmm, the title was ‘Under the Silver moon’.”

“Can you tell me the story? I’m dead curious.” Hyu Me begged to Minsuk.

I was shocked when suddenly hyung touches Hyu Me’s hands, “I shall tell you at the ball. Hyu Me, will you come?”

The way he asked Hyu Me made me realize that she isn’t just invited as a guest there. My hyung wants to offer Milady Viena’s flower to her. They say that when the girl accepts the flower, they are bound for a deep connection. Long before I’d really think that’s just a piece of crap but seeing them right now…I feel threatened.

“I-I don’t know oppa, I’m not really good with parties and I don’t have anything to wear, so---”

Minsuk grips Hyu Me’s hand in a comforting manner. “I shall take care of you Hyu Me. Just one night to have fun without all of these cameras following you. Just a normal party.”

The word normal builds the walls between us Yuri and them. A normal night, that’s what my brother is offering to her right now...something I can never do for her.

Hyu Me studied Minsuk for awhile and then she smiles, “Arraseo oppa, please take good care of me and make sure you tell me the story there.”

“I can’t come, mhiane.” Yuri then said, “I have a taping for fashion King tomorrow.”

I crossed my arms and stared at the food, “I’ll go. There’s a girl in S.U. I’ve always wanted to offer Viena’s flower with.”

“Nugu?” I heard Hyu Me ask.

I have no idea, I answered in my mind. There’s no girl in particular, it’s just my poor attempt not to look pitiful in this show when the girl that’s supposed to be my girlfriend will be going out with my own brother now. At first I’ve thought this is my fault, I have asked her to stay away from me in the first place. But now, I realized no matter what I do, I would still be replaced especially that it’s Choi Minsuk I’m facing against with. “Please excuse me. I have to go to the restroom.”

I need to collect my thought and put myself together again. My problems are appearing right before my eyes again. And most of all, I can hear my parents in my brain who will probably never be proud of me. They never approved of my being idol; they say it’s a corrupted world. No matter how much I try, I’d probably never reach anyone who would accept me without any hesitation. I’m living under my brother’s shadow…forever.

I stayed inside the restroom for ten minutes. Just standing there, controlling my breathing. I went out with a dimmed mood. I saw Hyu Me tiptoeing towards the back door. I frowned, is she trying to escape? I followed her out the restaurant. “Where are you going?”

She jumped in surprise. Her eyes widened when she saw me. “I was just…I was just checking the garbage that’s all.”

I crossed my arms, not believing her. “I’ll go with you then. It’s already dark, you shouldn’t be by yourself.”

She tries to hide a troubled look at me. “Look, I’m really running late for my next job. I have to go. Go back to Yuri unnie.” She gave me a slight push on my chest but I stood firm on the ground. I met her glaring eyes and held it down. It’s been awhile that we were left alone together, I’m not going to cut this moment.

“I’m really not in a good mood Hyu Me. You can’t push me away no matter what. You’ll just run late.” As soon as I said that, we heard several shuffle behind us.

The cameras have found us.

She bit her lower lip, obviously not enjoying her situation right now. “I don’t have any choice I guess.” She gave a deep sigh, “Come with me. I hope you won’t get too shocked.”

We quietly walk side by side as we passed few blocks along the way. “Here we are.” We stopped in front a very small door. I immediately knew what it was. I looked at her incredulously. “You work in a bar?

She smiled like it wasn’t a big deal, “I told you not to get shocked.”

“Who on earth are you Kim Hyu Me?” I whispered. Doubts were building inside me. What if the Hyu Me I know only appears in cameras? She opens the door and I see dim light illuminating the area. I hesitated for one moment when I see that all the costumers are foreigners.

She nudges me on the ribs, “Chill, it’s not a dirty place. It’s a little acoustic restaurant, set up by Soolpik ajhussi for English people.”

She holds my hands and pulled me inside. The costumers saw Hyu Me and they all greeted her with huge smiles. “These people are really kind. They’ve known me since I was 17 years old.”

“So-so you are a waitress here too?” I said a little confused.

Suddenly she looks at me shyly, “Ani, I-I… .."

 

"I sing here”

 

Man, this girl never fails to surprise me.

 

Kim Hyu Me’s point of view

 

My fingers tapped the microphone and the sound hits the corners of the wall. I blinked few more times as I adjusted my eyes to the little spotlight.  I saw Minho at the backmost table never leaving my gaze. I smiled at him. I bet he wouldn’t know how to react with this and so he looks away. It was normal I guess, we’ve been fighting the last time.

Good evening everyone!” I greeted in English. My costumers cheered me. “It’s been almost a month since I visited here. I’ve been busy for very odd reasons and for that I want to apologize

The people in front of me obviously feel uneasy with these cameras roaming around. I couldn’t do anything about it. I really don’t like it, but I know after this episode will be broadcasted, this peaceful place will never be the same anymore. Aside from the room 202 in the hospital, I really feel free in this place. I sing my heart out and these people will listen. Such silent mutual understanding that has pushed me to go on for two years will soon be gone.

But it’s okay. I’m willing to surrender that, because right now, I know one person who is much broken than I am. I intend to somehow cure him through something I know…

 

Sing

 

Please ignore the cameras, they won’t harm they are only after me.” I turned to the player and chose one of my favorite songs. “Let’s all relax for tonight people.amd just have a peaceful night.

WHOO! YOU ROCK KID!”

I laughed at Mr Bill; he always does that before I sing. I breathed deeply put my mouth near the microphone. I looked at Minho, my newest guest for tonight. And then I let the melody come out from my mouth as I sing the song A Thousand Years; a song I dedicate for my dad. (Author's note: I really like this song...it's so smooth... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHkvan-NFnM)

Heart beats fast
Colors and promises
How to be brave
How can I love when I'm afraid
To fall
But watching you stand alone
All of my doubt
Suddenly goes away somehow


One step closer

I have died everyday
waiting for you
Darlin' don't be afraid
I have loved you for a
Thousand years
I'll love you for a
Thousand more

Thousand years...yup, I'll definitely wait for my dad. Even if I'll have to wait for a thousand years

Time stands still
beauty in all she is
I will be brave
I will not let anything
Take away
What's standing in front of me
Every breath,
Every hour has come to this

One step closer


I'll do whateve it takes to wake him up, even if I have to be the bad person...


I have died everyday
Waiting for you
Darlin' don't be afraid
I have loved you for a
Thousand years
I'll love you for a
Thousand more

Even if what I'm doing now would kill me soon...

And all along I believed
I would find you
Time has brought
Your heart to me
I have loved you for a
Thousand years
I'll love you for a
Thousand more

I opened my eyes and saw Minho, one of the people I'm fooling...I have to do something to make up with the betrayal that I'm doing to him...

One step closer

All heads follow me as I go over Minho's direction...


One step closer

I took hold of his wrist and together we went back to the stage

I have died everyday
Waiting for you
Darlin' don't be afraid,
I have loved you for a
Thousand years
I'll love you for a
Thousand more...

There was the usual slow claps from my costumers along with their mesmerized faces. Mr Bill and the rest say that I have an amazing voice. I don't believe them though. But I do know, my emotions do swell up whenever I sing.

I exhaled deeply to reurn my compsue. “Everyone, I’d like you to meet a special person to me, Choi Minho! Some of you might have seen him before; he is a very famous idol not just in Korea but also in many parts here the world. Help me welcome him here by a round of applause.” My costumers did as what I told them others hooted and remarked that we look good together.

 I didn’t notice I was still holding Minho’s hand up until now. I loosened my grip but he held on.

“Don’t let go Hyu Me.” He said in a low husky voice. I nodded this environment might be really new for him. “Minho can I ask a favour?”

“What is it,” he whispered. I was a bit shocked that he didn’t say no and that he sounded like he really wants to do me a favour.

I cleared my throat, “I’ll be singing a Korean song next. Will you sing it with me?”

When I saw the hesitation in his eyes, it did confirm my growing hunch that he was affected with the controversies of him being only a face of SHINEE. I didn’t know why but my heart tightened a bit, like I can feel Minho’s pain. I hate seeing him with no self confidence. It worries me. “You don’t have to answer, you’re singing with me whether you like it or not”

People, I’m singing a Korean song next, don’t worry I’ll put up the English meaning on the screen. I’ll be singing with Minho.” I prepared the needed arrangements and then stood beside the uncomfortable-looking Minho.

I tiptoed and whispered in his ear, "Here's what I want you to do. Forget that you're from SHINEE, forget that you're Choi Minho, Sing like this is not a stage. Sing not because you have to perform...sing because you want to."

Minho weighed the microphone in his hand. He then meet my eyes and grins-- a different grin. There was no sign of scorn or sarcasm to it. It was a real smile from Choi Minho himself. "I don't know what you're playing at but I'll tag along Hyu Me. By the way, Do you know what the lyrics of this song mean?"

Yeah I do, thanks to Key, I added in my thoughts. I gave him a questioning look.

He neared his lips to my ear and said, "Listen carefully, there are parts that I dedicate them to you."

Just then, I was thankful that the song started. In that way I wouldn't have to be bothered for what he just said. Because for one thing... I definitely know the message of the song.

(Autho's note: found the meaning in youtube, i love the song. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ym3VpK_wkVM)

Natseon geu eolgullo dagawatdeon
cheotnune modeun geol ppaeatgyeotdeon
nan byeonhaebeoryeosseo neon modu bakkwobeoryeosseo
Oh la la la la la la la la la la
  Bokjaphan nae meori sok eojireopge heundeullyeodo
geu teum sai ttak hana banjjakgeorineun geon baro neo

  Nugul wihae saneunji mworeul wihae ganeunji
neomu seonmyeonghan neomu hwaksilhan geureon konteurol
  Neoman arajwo geugeotppunimyeon dwae
michidorok wonhaetdeon han saram neo

  I Can’t get you out of my head, I want you
After a thousand times, I still think the same

I'll be the one who's going to protect you in the end
Oh la la la la la la la la la la

 

Minho and I took turns in singing and everytime I hit the chorus I'd sing it in english. The beat of the song was amazing that even my american costumers were enjoying it. Even Minho was enjoying it; I couldn't help myself tobe amazed when he danced around me. It was my first time.

Like any happy moment, the song ended even before we knew it. Everyone had such a good time, including him.

---&---

 

"So what do you think of my job?" I asked him. We are currently walking our way back to the restaurant. We are really rude for leaving unnie and oppa there.

"I've never seen you that happy." He remarked in a muttering way. He eyes were on the ground as we walk. I wonder what is he feeling right now. I'm sure he was smiling just awhile ago. "You have amazing voice Hyu Me."

"pfft, stop praising me you dimwit, you would lose if---"

"Stop! No betting for this night!" He cut me off. "Le's have a ceasefire for now Hyu Me."

I nodded. I am a bit grateful that he said that. It's sometimes tiring to act so arrogant in front of him. We went on walking in silence after that.

After few more steps, I almost gasped when he softly grabs my hand and held it with his fingers laced between mine. I looked away as my pulse suddenly quickens. I'd understand if Key and Jonghyun would do this to me... but Minho doing this?

Once in a million.

"It's uncomfortable isn't it?" He suddenly muttered. I scoffed, so he's holding my hand to torture me with awkwardness again. Good going, and to think I thought we're having a ceasefire. "Hyu me..." He suddenly started breaking me free from my thoughts, "Was it also uncomfortable when my hyung touched your hand?"

I frowned remembering the feeling. It felt so much like a big bro holding me. "Ani, he's okay."

"I see..." his voice is trailing off as he lets go of my hand. Did I say something wrong? I didn't insult him or anything. Sigh...Minho has been peculiar these days. Worse is, I think I am one of the reasons why. "Hey dimwit.... I'm sorry for acting like a jerk last week at S.U."

He stopped walking near a lampost where the light illuminates the pained features of his handsome face. "That's okay. You were right, I got what you meant. I'm an idol, I'm not good enough to pass something normal. Just like talking to you."

“That’s not what I meant,” I said, waving my hands left to right. “I didn’t mean to state the difference of the two of us in a bad way Minho. It’s-it’s just that you really pissed me off that time, that’s all.”

“At what part did I make you angry Hyu Me?” He asks me this as he avoids my eyes.

I bit my tongue and hesitated for awhile. “At-at the part when the tone of your voice suggested that I’m flirting with Minsuk oppa.”

“So you’re really not flirting?” I can sense the slightest sarcasm in his voice. My blood boiled up at once.

“OF COURSE I’M NOT, YOU DIM-” I backed off; not daring to continue anymore. If I’ll get angry here then we’ll argue again. Minho and I will repeat the same cycle over and over. I Calmed myself and decided to just shut up.

"If you're not then why do you always hang out with hyung?" He said as he leans in the lampost.

"Because you asked me to stay away from you!" I said raising my voice, as I try to avoid that weird feeling of rejection I once felt. "I was doing you a favor. Do you know how hard it was to do it when all I want to do is to compete and make bets with you?"

His eyes finally found me, he gave me a surprising look. "You-you wanted to spend time with me?"

"Yes!" My cheeks burned as I said that word. This is the very first time I've been vocal to my one and only rival. "I didn't know why you wanted to stay away from me, you seriously gave me a heavy headache! Good thing you brought Yuri unnie with you tonight, now everything is clear to me."

He held his breath, waiting for me to continue...

"I realized I was intervening with your life Minho. It must have going out with me when you actually like Yuri unnie." I felt awful. This was the same situation with Jonghyun but this time the girl is brought from heaven. She's too good! And what did I do? I cut off their relationship because of this stupid show. "Why didn't you tell me? It would've been easier if you told me!"

"Hyu Me-ah" Minho stood straight and held either side of me. He gave me an intense stare. "Yuri and I are just friends. I brought her to make you jealous...I wanted you to be jealous." I was shocked of how desperate his voice was when he said that.

"Why would you want me to get jeal--" I stopped, finally realizing the answer although it doesn't really explain why he sounded so desperate. "I see, because of our usual bet, you wanted to win against me."

"I thought that was the reason too Hyu Me but--"

"But now you realized how I'm pulling you away from your world." I said, continuing what I think he would say.

He lets go of me, turned his back and looked at the stars. He heaved a heavy sigh. "I don't want my world, it's full of crap."

"Liar." I said right after he said the last word. "I know how much you love the world you're in. I know how much you love being an artist."

"My world is corrupted." He mumbled.

I shook me head, "And so is mine Minho. You'll just have to focus on why you are in this world." there was a higher ground in front of him and so I stood there and faced him. Our heads within the same level. I rested each of my hand on his broad shoulders. "You are in this world because you love to dance and because you love music...You're not just a face of SHINEE Minho. Of all people, you should be the one believing that" This is why he's so messed up right now, why I couldn't see the happy him anymore..

"How can I believe that, when everyone around me thinks I'm just standing in the spotlight because of my darn face?." He said, he's voice just above a whisper.

I smiled, a comforting one. "Not everyone Minho. I know one person who believes you are way more than what other people think...that person is standing right in front of you."

He's eyes found me again. My heartbeat quickens as he looks at me with his fiery eyes. I guess this is normal, I've never talked to him like this before. "That is why I was willing to stay away from you. Because I know how much you love where you are right now. Your job is not about popularity, it's about you're passion in music and I understand that."

I turned around and pointed the bright sparkling stars "You are there Minho, sparkling in everyone's eyes while I'm..." I took a step back and hit the switch button of the lampost. The light turned off leaving only our dark silhouettes. "I'm here in the dark. You see? our worlds are apart."

It was really dark and I couldn't see a thing. I felt his hand lowering my finger that was pointing the stars. "You're the only person who sees my job that way Hyu Me, even my parents don't understand that" I heard him smirk. Oh that satisfying smirk he gives me whenever we make fun and annoying comnpetition and bets. "Never do this again Hyu Me. Stop talking like you care for me because--"

"I care for you Choi Minho" I said with every ounce of strength I can get. There's no need to pretend. I don't know the reason why...Maybe because I'm dating many people that it makes me guilty, maybe because I am almost treating him as a friend...I don't know what it is but I do know that I care for him. "I lose. Tell me your wish."

Silence...

there was silence after that. I frowned, "Minho?" I asked as I searched the darkness with my hands. "Minhoooo"  I called out in a sing song voice.

"Close your eyes Hyu Me" I heard him say.

"What..why?" I asked in confusion.

"That's my wish...just do it." He stern voice made me do what he ordered. I closed my eyes as I rummage my brain of what he might do. Will he pinch me? Will he punch me? Will he pull my hair or something? I wonder what's the punishment this time?

I felt both of his hands on each of my arm. My back touched the cold cement of the lampost...I have no idea what he's doing, it's freaking me out!

I lean there with eyes closed waiting for my punishment...

 

---&---

 

"Are you okay Yuri-ssi?"

"Neh, Minsuk oppa."

The two young people walks out of the restaurant as both of them decided to look for their own dates.

"I wonder where they are." Yuri said in a fond way. She feels jittery and excited as she guesses what the Rival couple is doing right now. I'll forgive you for leaving me now Minho just make sure you treat Hyu Me well, she thought to herself. Yuri turns her pretty head to Minho's brother. She wonders what is he thinking right now? He has been very quiet in the restaurant.

"Be careful Yuri, the lampost near the next block is off. It's really dark." Minsuk told Yuri like a real gentleman. The more her advances, he noticed there are two people near the lampost. "Wait, someone is there."

Both of them squints there eyes as they try to figure who it was. When both of them finally adjusted at the darkness, they were both aghasted.

Yuri tried to stop herself from squealing in excitement.

While Minsuk was frozen dead to the ground.

 

They saw Hyu Me leaning on the lampost, eyes closed while Minho holds both of her arms. Their faces so close to each other... too close!

 

Yes....

 

Minho is going to kiss Hyu Me...

 

 

 

End! I know I know....it's such a long update!!! I'm sorry, I don't understand myself either! But please bare withe me....I think my next update would prbably take along time to finish...

 

The kiss!!!! I'll explain Minho's side and what he feels in the next chap!

I'll also be making "Under the Silver Moon" poem of Sir Montaque...it's very relevant for the last part in the limelight of the rival couple..

And the ball! Yah...

 

By the way thank you so much for the new subscribers!!!

sujufanify, taemintwatsonmilk, and the sister of Dark Shadow :)

THanks for the awesome and DAEBAK commentssssss

from dark shadow, lylan, confusedfangirl, liyanloveapple, sujuanify, taemintwatsonmilk and Taelen!

I love you, thanks for encouraging me :)