Chapter 14 - The bench where I waited

Shinee's no Ordinary Date

lonely_bench_.jpg

 

 SMS:

(Just quit the reality show oppa.)

(You know I just can’t do that Se Kyung)

(And why is that so?)

(Oppa?)

(Oppa, are you asleep?)

(Don’t forget our date on Monday next week oppa. I can’t wait to hang out with you in public. Goodnight, saranghae…)

 

It is a cloudy Tuesday morning. People in Korea wore jackets and raincoats as they sense another cold rain for this day. Most of them stayed in their peaceful homes, drinking warm coffee and cozily watching the television.  Although this is the case, the staff and PDs of ‘My Sweet Ordinary Girlfriend’ still decided to shoot today. They can’t pass not to tape another meeting of the ‘Mysterious couple’ or the tandem of Jonghyun and Hyu Me. There is something the both of them are hiding and viewers are anticipating to know what it is.

The director contacted them and told them to meet near Han River. Hyu Me and Jonghyun did not refuse but the director did sense their hesitation for awhile. Did something happen behind the cameras again? He rubbed his hands sensing that something interesting will happen.

---&---

 

Jonghyun waited for Hyu Me to arrive at the Han River. There are no other people near the river aside from him and the crew. It is a peaceful day after all.

 He sat on the soft grass and stared at the wide river. His fine eyebrows crease as he thinks for a way to face Hyu Me.

Hyu Me… the thought of her gives the young man contradicting feelings. The last time they met each other is still confusing for him. He told Hyu Me that he likes her and that she cares for her. But after few minutes Se Kyung was bleeding and blaming Hyu Me for that. As Se Kyung’s boyfriend, he knows that it is just right to believe her. But why can’t he bring himself to do that?

Because I promised to myself that I’d trust Hyu Me, Jonghyun thought. And Se Kyung’s story is too hard to believe for him: “Oppa, Hyu Me did this to me! She said that I am taking you away from her then she started to throw glasses at me!”

He knows Hyu Me; she is not the romantic type. Hyu Me doesn’t like me in a romantic way, Jonghyun told himself. He already knows that but it still gave him a weird feeling… an awful feeling.

“I’m sorry I’m late, I kept you waiting didn’t I?”

Jonghyun looked up and stopped himself from gasping. Hyu Me is wearing one of the clothes he bought for her; apple green loose polo with long sleeves and black tight leggings. She arranged her hair into a high ponytail showing her dark red strands clearer this time.

For the 2nd time around, Hyu Me has shown how beautiful she can be. The people from the staff are staring at her in an amazed expression. “Hey, the two of you,” the director addressed to them “since it is only rare that both of you look so classy together might as well take pictures before you start dating.”

There was a momentary pause before the Mysterious Couple said yes. The photographer rushed forward and started to instruct the both of them what to do. The first poses are easy to do; the two of them making a peace sign, both of them looking at the beautiful river and blowing small windmills together. The hard part then started when the photographer asked them to hold hands.

Hyu Me had to look away when Jonghyun slowly took her hand. It felt so awkward, not like before. “That’s not enough,” the photographer said, “Jonghyun, you have to slip your fingers between hers.”

“Yah ajhussi! We’re didn’t reach that level yet, arraseo?” Hyu Me suddenly snapped not able to hold back anymore. She can’t imagine doing such thing when they just had an argument the last time they met.

The photographer’s face looks smug but he went on taking more pictures. “Fine, give me one interesting pose and we are done.”

“Wha-” Hyu Me almost shouted when Jonghyun suddenly carried her in her arms. “This will shut him up; just bare with it.” He said behind his smile. Hyu Me didn’t have any choice. She reluctantly faced the camera and gave her best smile.

The staff clapped their hands saying that it looks sweet and cute.

Too bad it’s not real…

 “Okay cut! Let’s have a break so that these two can prepare to shoot.”

Jonghyun carefully put her down. He is racking his brain on what to tell her. They have to at least be friendly with each other when the cameras are around. “uhm… nice clothes.” Babo Jonghyun, he thought to himself. I personally chose those clothes.

“Thanks,” Hyu Me replied drily. “Instincts told me this might be the last time I can wear it.”

Jonghyun is confused on what she meant by that. Did she sense what Se Kyung requested from him? Did she know that he is giving up the show? “Hyu Me-”

“Stop talking to me.” She said rather crossly. “You can save it for the cameras later.”

“What’s wrong with you?” Jonghyun caught up after her as she rapidly walks far from him. “Shouldn’t I be the one who is angry right now, after all you did hurt my girlfriend.”

He almost bumped in to her when she stopped. Hyu Me turned and wore the smile she had when she told Se Kyung she is pathetic. “Oh? Didn’t you tell me I am your girlfriend when we were alone in the restaurant? What was that supposed to mean Jonghyunie?”

That statement confused Jonghyun he stuttered for awhile; not knowing how to respond. This gave Hyu Me a chance to walk away but he held her elbow tight. “Tell me Hyu Me, tell me you didn’t do what Se Kyung said.”

“If I didn’t then who did? What do you want to hear, that Se Kyung hurt herself and framed me so that you’ll hate me?” Hyu Me has just blurted out the truth in a question way.

 It wasn’t to be supposed to be like this, it shouldn’t be like this, Hyu Me thought to herself. She planned to stir Jonghyun’s feelings, to at least make him hesitate on his relationship with Se Kyung. That is why she tried to look like a girl today. She knows this is a poor attempt. I mean, how can I compete with Se Kyung’s beauty? But she had to at least try. It’s true that Se Kyung did frame her for hurting her but Hyu Me is not the type of person who ruins a person’s name or reputation by telling everyone what that person has done.

“Se Kyung can’t do that, no!” Jonghyun was defending her. He is talking to Hyu Me but he can’t deny the fact that he really is trying to convince himself. “You’re lying Hyu Me.”

“I really don’t care if I’m lying or not. Next time choose another restaurant, I hate being punished. I wouldn’t have to pay for some glasses if you weren’t there.” She thrashed her arms until Jonghyun let go of her.

“Why are you blaming us?” Jonghyun said with an angry voice, “You threw the glasses yourse--”

“DO YOU… DO YOU REALLY THINK I CAN D-DO THAT JONGHYUN?” Hyu Me could feel a lump forming in . She can feel tears forming in her eyes. What’s happening to me?

“Oi! We are starting!” Director called out, Jonghyun and Hyu Me has been far in the shooting area so the crew didn’t hear anything. But they did notice that something is wrong.

­---&---

 

Jonghyun’s point of view

 

Hyu Me and I silently lie down on the soft grass. There is no use to act anymore. The staff has noticed that we are fighting again.  I’m sure everyone of us here can sense the tension. The Han River’s stillness didn’t help at all.

I feel bothered and a bit guilty. Did I just hurt Hyu Me’s feelings when I accused her of what happened the last time?  No need to question about that, of course I did. I should’ve been more considerate back then but she surprised me when she sounded so mad.

I want to talk to her for the last time. I am giving up the show, and this will probably be the last time I’ll see her. The very thought of it makes me sick and I hate myself for not even knowing why.

I stared at the sky, unable to talk to the person beside me. I took a slight glance at her. Hyu Me has her eyes closed. Weariness painted in her face.

“Let’s call it a day everyone.” I can hear the disappointment on the director’s voice when he said that. I stood up and offered my hand to help her stand. She looked and then ignored it. The staff arranges their things ready to go home. I went near to Hyu Me again and tapped her shoulder.

She turns around and faces me. Se Kyung’s fault or not, she was punished at the restaurant because of us. I took out a few bucks in my wallet and gave it to her. “That’s for the glasses.”

Hyu Me scoffed, and her green eyes lit up, “WHAT DO YOU TAKE ME FOR JONGHYUN? A PERSON WHO ONLY CARES ABOUT MONEY? I don’t need this, babo!!!” She threw the money on my face.

Hyu Me ran away after that.

I sighed, no matter what I do I always end up hurting her. This is already the third time.

Once again, I’m telling you… I am a terrible person.

 

---&---

 

Director-nim: (You’ll be attending a party together with Hyu Me next week Monday. We will you there. Please do tell us where the both of you will meet. I have texted Hyu Me about this concern too.)

Se Kyung: (Oppa? Just passing by to remind you, next week Monday okay?)

I sighed, this thing is getting harder and harder. It’s already 10 in the evening but I still can’t bring myself to go home. I badly want to talk to Kim Hyu Me for the last time.

I am still at the Han River, freezing to death as I struggle with my own mind. After one more minute, I took out my phone and punched in Hyu Me’s number. I have to talk to her, I’ll go crazy if I won’t talk to her…

“Yoboseo?” Her voice made me nervous.

“It’s me. Let’s meet up,” I told her in a rapid pace. There was silence for one moment as she hesitates.

“Where are you?” She finally said in a weak voice.

“Han River.” I answered.

“Babo, you must be freezing there. I’m coming.” She hangs up after that. The concern in her voice quickens my pulse and it honestly made me happy. I hate to think that I’m losing a friend when I quit the show.

She arrived panting after ten minutes. She didn’t look at me as she sat on the grass too.

“I’m quitting the show Hyu Me,” There is no use in hanging around the bush. Hyu Me hates that and I guess it’s better to end it fast.

I heard her smirk, “You are rude Jonghyunie, leaving me like this.” It wasn’t sarcastic or sweet. She sounded like it is okay, that it doesn’t matter; which is worse. “But I kind of expected it. Gwenchana,”

The wind got colder after that, my head turned to her fully this time. “You’re not mad at me?”

“Why should I be?” Hyu Me put her hands behind her head and lied down. “I helped you be with Shin Se Kyung. It was my decision. I brought myself in this situation.”

“Hyu Me, you do realize we won’t be seeing each other anymore.”

She shrugged, “My life is back to basic now. Nice meeting you Jonghyun.”

Anger was rising inside me. I raked the soil without even knowing. “So it’s just like that, huh? Like nothing ever happened! Fine I’m quitting the show, I’m seeing Se Kyung on Monday, and I am never seeing you again!” I stood up, what was I thinking anyway, that she would stop me? And why on earth would I want that? Damn it, this whole thing is making me all confuse. I took my jacket which was on the ground, “Bye.” I started storming my way.

It took me five steps before I felt a little tug on my shirt, I look back to see Hyu Me in a crawling position. Her left hand took hold of my jacket. The scornfulness in her face is gone, and all I can see right now is her miserable expression.

She is stopping me now…

“I-I… Jonghyunie… I don’t want you to go.” She said; her voice just above a whisper. “Believe me, you are a precious friend and it would take time to adapt a daily life where you are not in it.”

“Hyu Me-”

“I’m sorry for acting like a jerk to you.” She smiled. A painful one, “I support your relationship with Se kyung and I can’t possibly stop you from being with her if you are happy.”

I couldn’t talk, because right now, all I want is to hear her express her true feelings. She stood up but still clutched my jacket. “The heart can be considerate and it can also be selfish. Whether to make someone happy or to make yourself happy, that is your choice. Most of the times you just have to do what’s right. And sometimes, the right thing is… to let go.”

As she said the last three words Hyu Me’s grip on the jacket loosened… it loosened until finally she lets go.

She’s letting go of me…

 

---&---

Kim Hyu Me's point of view

 

I gave up.

It was the best thing to do. I realized that my method in freeing Jonghyun from Se Kyung’s grasp was not good. Making him like me wasn’t a good thing to do. Besides, who am I to ruin a couple’s life? I just wish Se Kyung would sincerely love Jonghyunie and that she would stop the hurtful words she has said to him before.

The next Monday came.

The staff has dressed me in a very fine dress and put slight make up on my face. It was still a cloudy day but none of us complained.

Although I said my goodbyes to Jonghyun last time, I still told him the place where I’ll be waiting.  It was a bench near the Han River.

I sat on the bench and face the cameras as I act like I’m waiting for him. I sat on the bench acting like he will come in any moment…I sat on the bench acting like he’s going to apologize to me later like a real boyfriend…

Although I know that’s not gonna happen.

I thought the fact that I’ll never be seeing Jonghyun again would not affect me. But I am wrong again. I keep thinking how he is right now and that if he is okay. In fact there is a dull pain growing bigger inside me.

Oh no...I think I am starting to care for him…

 

 

End! This chapter is tiring to write, but I did enjoy. I hope my readers would enjoy reading it :)