Chapter 17 - Flowers can be dangerous....

Shinee's no Ordinary Date

 

Unidentified_Pink_Flower_Closeup_2048px.

 

Hyu Me can only remember few things from the past. She can’t remember any memories that are too happy or too painful for her…

 

It might not be obvious but she doesn’t remember anything about her father. She knows it was a car accident that messed her life but that’s only because we told her. If we didn’t, Hyu Me would have no idea what actually happened.

Also, she remembers that she came from states but she has no idea who are the people she’s with their.

Taemin sat on the bed near the foot of Hyu Me’s father. He knew it’s running late and that his manager must be angrily looking for him but he can’t move.

He’s frozen.

A traumatized person, that’s what she is. Whenever she remembers something, Hyu Me blocks out. Her head would start to hurt and her body would shake uncontrollably. At that time, she hears nothing and sees nothing. Only the past memory she recovers would run in her mind for a long time.

Taemin couldn’t believe what her Hyu Me noona has gone through. It is true he has seen her cry twice and he knows she always face people with a fake smile but it was never obvious for him that she suffered this much.

Suddenly, Taemin heard the door creak. He found Hyu Me with a tired look in her face. Her eyes found Taemin and the usual spark of surprise was there. “What are you doing here big baby---oi! What’s wrong?”

Without realizing his actions, Taemin stood up and hugged Hyu Me. He didn’t let go when her noona ordered him to do so. It only made him hug her tighter. I’m pathetic, he thought to himself. There’s nothing I can do to comfort her…pathetic…

“Taemin?” Hyu Me calling him by his name and not as big baby meant that she’s serious.

“I missed you,” It wasn’t really a lie but it wasn’t close to saying the truth why his arms are around her right now.

There was moment of silence until Hyu Me spoke. “So Chun Yo told you the truth about me,” there is no hint of sadness in her voice. Instead, it sounds lifeless.

Which is a lot worse…

She must have found the big box Chun Yo left on the table. He said, those were Hyu Me’s things from the past.

There’s no need to lie I guess. Taemin loosened her grip but this time Hyu Me suddenly tiptoed and embraced him tight. She rested her face on his shoulder; making sure big baby won’t see it. “Listen to me,” She started, “don’t pity me. I hate being pitied at. I’m begging you, don’t pity me. Don’t look at me with sorry eyes; it won’t help my case… arrasseo?”

I do not pity you noona, Taemin thought. And it was definitely true. He’s proud of her, of how she handles it, of how she keeps moving forward without anything to look back to. Instead Taemin feels like protecting her, show her that he cares and that she’s not alone.

Weeks before, he was sure he’d be noona’s friend, but all of a sudden he feels like it’s not enough anymore. “I understand noona.” He answered.

At that Hyu Me pulled away. “Gee, you’re really soft you big baby.” She smirks as she pinched Taemin’s cheek.

“I don’t pity you noona, but you really don’t have to act so bright in front me if you don’t feel that way.” Taemin told her.

Instead of doing what Taemin said, Hyu Me’s lips formed a deep smile. She walks past him and stopped near her father. “I can’t drop the act. I’ve tried that before but it doesn’t work. If I just set my emotions run, I’m afraid I might lose it…all the control…all” Hyu Me’s lips was quivering,; she bit it and gave a sideways glance to Taemin, “I’m not as strong as you think. But as long as I know my father’s here, as long as I know he’ll wake up, then I can hold on. I’ll be fine.”

Taemin didn’t respond. The revolting guilt is growing inside him. Suddenly, he remembers Chun Yo’s last words that would haunt him as long as his hiding this to Hyu Me.

One last thing, Hyu Me doesn’t know this because Soolpik ajhussi thinks it would be hard for her to accept

 She can’t remember anything about his father because they were never together. When the accident happened, Hyu Me just arrived from States at that time. She was trying to talk to her father; she was begging him to accept her

The truth is, Mr Kim disowned his own daughter. That man whom Hyu Me has been waiting to wake up for so long, that man who Hyu Me loves so much hates her.

She may not remember this… but her father hated her…

---&---

 

Choi Minho’s point of view

 

“Yeah, and so now I should actually think that she cares for me?” I told the interviewer with disdain.

I’m in the black room right now; currently being asked with so many questions about Hyu Me. Good thing about this is I am excused with my schedules. Bad thing is the interviewer is firing too many cheesy questions.

“Then why do you think she was so mad when the crew and PD didn’t help?” Noona shot me her 50th tiring question.

I shrugged, “She was probably tired of doing it on her own. I’d feel the same way if our places were switch.” Judging on how people look at me, I probably sound arrogant but I don’t really care. We are in a reality show so it’s good to be real.

Noona, the interviewer, sighed. “Don’t you think you should be a bit caring? She’s your girlfriend after all.”

“Nope, she made it clear before. We’re rivals, not couples. I don’t think there’s anything to worry we have a large fan base anyway.”

I satisfyingly enjoy watching their funny expressions. All of them probably think I’m so boastful right now. Honestly I wish they’d hate me so much to the point that they’d finish the show.

“Rivals,” noona repeated. “So does that mean that all of this is just a game? All of this is for the sake of the cameras.”

 “Yes” I immediately said, disregarding the smallest part of me that disagrees.

“I’m curious Minho-shii, how does this game works for the two of you, can you explain?”

“Well one of us makes a bet, whoever wins make the loser do something and…” I weighed how it would affect if I add something else. I noticed this first when Hyu Me was wearing the pink dress, how we suddenly made a bet without even talking about it. Oh well, I guess it won’t hurt anyway. “…and when one of us expresses affections such as concern or worry then that person will lose too.”

The last sentence caught the staff’s attention; they sat straight as they anticipate the next question. “Choi Minho is known for being competitive. You never want to lose, am I correct?”

“Yes,” I answered briefly.

“So you’re saying that you’ll never care for Hyu Me?”

“Yes.”

“You won’t like her?”

“Yes.”

“You won’t fall for her?”

“Honestly, you think I would?”

 

The director suddenly stood up. He was rubbing his hands together as though a great feast is coming. “Well then, let’s make a bet Minho-shii; you against everyone who’s running this show.”

I gave a short laugh, “sorry but I only bet with Hyu Me. It’s something I only do with her”

“Oh, now you’re doing something that’s only for the both of you?” The director chanted obviously trying to taunt me

I’m not denying it. Yes, I only want to do this with her because we’re rivals.

“Just answer this then,” the interviewer went on when I didn’t say a single word for a reply. “What happens if you’ll fall for her?”

Then I lose big time which is never going to happen. I stared at the cameras and grinned.

“Then it’s Game over.”

 

---&---

 

Kim Hyu Me’s point of view

 

Awkward

That’s the only thing that can describe the atmosphere between Minho and me.

We quietly sit on a bench as we watch the high buildings. I took a quick glance on Minho and supressed a laugh. The handsome face almost everybody loves actually looks bothered today. Even the crew looks quite uneasy too.

Yep, I, Kim Hyu Me am holding the ace card right now.

“I’m not guilty of what happened last time.” He muttered not even looking at me.

“Pffft. Choi Minho, aigoo you serious fellow.  I’m not worried with you anymore.” I leaned forward and neared my face to his, “You should have seen yourself at that time.”

I imitated his face and added strong exaggeration to it. The crew laughed but he stayed unmoving. “What is this place anyway?” I asked him.

“Seoul University, the most elite school in Korea.” Minho answered a bit seriously.

“Oh, I didn’t notice that this is a school. It looks so elegant. “I felt the slight jealousy that has always been with me whenever I see a school. “I’ve always want to study.” I said as I stare at beautiful flowers that surround us.

“Why don’t you just enrol?”

I excused Minho’s bluntness. It’s not his fault; he doesn’t know anything about my life so I have to forgive him. I hugged my knees and rocked myself back and forth. “I’d love to but I don’t have any money to enrol you dimwit.”

I stood up and took a closer look at a very beautiful pink flower. It has been taking my attention the moment we entered. It looks very unique and I can see it’s the only flower placed higher than the rest. And it’s the only one of its kind. “How can there be flower this pretty,” I whisper, mesmerized at it. It’ll be good to take this for memory keepsake. I slowly plucked it and…

Alarms blared

WOOH WOOH!!!!

“Yah! What have you done? Don’t you know what that is?” Minho stood up beside me scolding me hard.

“Uh…a flower?” I answered dubiously. I was shocked to see the crew and cameramen hurriedly packing their things. Some started to run to the exit.

“There are only very few people today. You better hide before the security finds out Hyu Me took this.” The director ordered us. He also ran to another direction. I turned helplessly to Minho.

I thought he would be mad but he only grinned, “Thanks to you, the taping’s cut. I owe you. You’re in trouble now Hyu Me.”

“Otteoke?” Although I can sense that my case is indeed serious, I just can’t bring myself to panic. Security measures for a flower? That’s absurd! “Help me!” I told him.

He bent low so that our heads are at the same level. His face is wearing a sardonic expression. “Help you? We’re rivals Hyu Me why should I? You better run I hear the guards’ footsteps already.”

After that, he just left.

I ran towards the other direction when I heard security coming. “Stop! You thief!”

Darn, I didn’t know plucking flowers is a criminal offense nowadays. I think I should start reading Korean laws now.

I’m not a runner and even if I have great distance with the security, I’m sure they’ll reach me. It’s not a great help that I have no idea what this place is either. Minutes passed, I finally grew tired. I stopped near a broomshed, and waited. I give up; maybe if I get caught I can twist the story and include Minho in this mess.

Just then, the broomshed’s small door opened. A hand clamped my mouth, the other hand wraps around my waist. The person pulled me inside and closed the door. It was hot and dark. I can’t see anything.

“Hmff!” I thrashed and thrashed as I try to free myself from the strong clutches of the unknown man.

“Be quiet.” His deep cool voice made me behave. He has a tone of superiority that makes you want to follow him. “I’m trying to help you here.” He muttered.

The broom shed is very tight. Even if I can’t see him, I can feel that we’re so close. I can even feel his slow breathing behind me. I don’t know why but it made me feel uncomfortable.

When footsteps are gone, the man took his hand off my mouth, I grabbed for the door knob at once.  It’s not good to be with a stranger in a quiet dark place anyway. “I can’t open it.” I tugged and twist the doorknob but it won’t budge.

“I forgot to tell you, the door can be only opened outside.”

What he just said made me jump. This is worse than stealing a flower. “Yah! Why did you lock--” Just when I turned around, my forehead hit something soft. I was outbalanced but then steady hands caught my arm.

“If you keep on moving, my lips might hit something other than your forehead.”

My body tensed at once. Honestly, I hate how this guy can embarrass me even if it’s not his intention. “Why do we have to be in this stupid school anyway?” I whined to myself. I don’t usually complain but this day is really annoying. First alarms blared when I pluck a flower, guards chase me when saying I’m a thief and now I’m in a small broom shed that won’t open.

“Stupid?” He repeated with a curious tone.

“Why don’t they put warning signs anyway? Do they worship flowers here?” I can feel the soft flower in my hand. I want to crush it but its beauty does hold me back.

“Well, the student leader in this school thought there’s no need to put warning posts since the flower is known in the country.” He explained with a fond voice this time.

I wiped my sweaty forehead and frowned. “Well screw the student leader. The flower is known in the country but not everyone knows it.” I tried to open the door again but it still won’t open. “Where is Minho when you need him?” I muttered.

“Minho? Choi Minho?” the hint of interest in his voice pissed me.

“If you are a fan, I don’t have time to have pretty talk about him. I’m telling you, there’s nothing good with that guy…man, I can’t see a thing!”

Just then there was a clicking sound. The sudden light blinded me for awhile. I rubbed my eyes and looked up.

“I’m sorry, I forgot we have a light just right here.”

Just awhile ago, I felt how tight is the shed. When the light was on, it turned out that it was way tighter than I expected. We were too close! Our faces were just few inches with each other. My cheeks burned uncontrollably.

He smiled, showing his white teeth. “I’m Minsuk, a student from this stupid school.”

I swallowed hard; I lowered my gaze and say the gold seal on his chest pocket. My eyes grew wide at once.

 

Choi Minsuk

Student Leader

 

BAM!

I looked back to see the sweaty face of Minho, “Found you Kim Hyu---” He’s gazed when up to the man behind me. For the first time, Minho looked so flabbergasted. “H-hyung.”

Choi Minsuk… Choi Minsuk...Choi..

Don't tell me they are brothers???

My heart was suddenly pounding fast.

First I plucked there holy flower, then I said his school is stupid, next I told him to screw himself and next I go bashing his brother in front of him.

Worse, I'm in his territory.

That's it...I'm dead.

And all because of pretty but deadly pink flower...

 

EnD!!! I'm sorry I haven't updated for so long!!! I'll be in a remote place for 5 months and it is so hard to access the net....thanks for reading my story. I really appreciate it. Especially for unnie whonever fails to comment. Thanks again!!!!!