Chapter 13 - The lie beneath the broken glasses

Shinee's no Ordinary Date

 

broken-glass-14.gif

Kim Hyu Me’s point of view

 

“Thank you Hyu Me, this is the only place I know where we can’t be found.” Jonghyun told me as I laid out the plates like a real waitress.

I just nodded as I try to forget how much I took my pride off when I asked Soolpik ajhussi to close the restaurant earlier so that they can have their own date. I would’ve done it wholeheartedly if only the girl wasn’t Se Kyung.

I would probably never forget what she told me back then-- Niga idol…you’re nothing.

“Tsk, what is this? A special treatment for ido-” I hit Chun Yo in the stomach who is serving the drinks.

“Forgive him Jonghyun, he’s always like that.” I glared at Chun Yo. He shrugged, his shift ends for the next five minutes so he just left. The other workers went home by ajhussi’s orders; so now I am the only one left to serve them.

Shin Se Kyung drummed her fingers on the table as she observes me. “Aren’t you working now Hyu Me? Shouldn’t you be addressing us formally?”

I’m good with snapping rude words to people I dislike and believe me, she’s on my toplist right now but I can’t just do such thing when Jonghyun is here. Holding back my anger, I apologized to her. “I’m sorry…Ma’am.”

I thought Jonghyun would at least tell her not to treat me like this. But that’s impossible since he is too busy absorbing everything about her. What on earth does Jonghyun see in her?

Okay she’s beautiful, so what? Fine, she’s talented too…and rich…and kind to him...and charming…and…

Okay I give up. I sighed as I waited for the food to be fully cooked. I turned my head and studied the two of them on the other side of the restaurant. They look so happy together. Truly, I have definitely no right to judge their relationship. After all, Se Kyung-shii might be acting as a jerk only to me. Maybe she is a kind person.

“Hey,” I jumped in surprise to see Jonghyun beside me. “She’s in the comfort room.” He informed me when I gave him a questioning look. He sat near a vacant table and gestured for me to sit beside him. I did as what he told me. We sat there in silence for awhile until he broke it.

“Are you sick? You’re not talking to me,” He put a hand on my forehead to feel my temperature. He frowned when he felt that I was okay. “You haven’t texted me for awhile Hyu Me.”

 I crinkled my nose, “I don’t have a penny for you Jonghyunie, besides it is tiring.”

“Tiring?” He repeated like it was a bad thing to say. “You shouldn’t say things like that.”

“And why not?”

“’Cause you’re my girlfriend.”

Both of us paused for awhile when he said that. Jonghyun looked away and cleared his throat. “Hyu Me, if there is something that troubles you I wish you’d tell me.”

I shook my head, “It’s bad enough that you have to act that you care for me everytime in the set. It’s even a big problem that you have to act like you like me, right?” I heard the door of the wash area creak. I nudged his shoulder, “you better go back to your real girlfriend sir.”

I stood up and started to walk but Jonghyun then held both of my arms. I felt his close body behind me. “I never acted Hyu Me, I care for you and I like you.” He whispered in my ear. I know he didn’t mean it to be romantic or anything. I know he meant that he recognizes me as his friend. But that fact couldn’t keep my heart from beating fast. Just like how it did to Key and Onew. I wish it would stop; it has been bothering me lately.

Jonghyun went back to his seat just in time when Se Kyung came back. I served the food after a few minutes. I sat at the counter and took out the MP4 Key gave to me. I ignored the couple as I listen to all the Shinee songs in it. I chuckled to myself and addressed the song ‘Lucifer’ for Se Kyung.

Suddenly Jonghyunie stood up and went outside with a phone pressed on his ear. I shrugged, closed my eyes and listened to every beat of the songs. “Hello, hello, iro bena-”

CRASH!

My eyes opened at once. Se Kyung was in front of me holding a glass in mid-air. “What are you—yah!”

CRASH!

She purposely let go of it. I was too flabbergasted to talk; ajhussi would kill me he’ll know one of his glassware is missing. “That’s for flirting around my boyfriend.” She smirked as she said that to me.

I went down to the counter picking up the pieces, “I wasn’t flirting you spoiled brat.” I spat at her. I don’t act well when I’m angry. The last time I was, the restaurant needed immediate repair. So with so much effort, I try to control it.

“You weren’t? Then why was Jonghyun hugging you awhile ago?” She retorted back.

I stood up with the broken pieces and glared at her, “Next time if you try to peek, do it properly so you wouldn’t have to say false things. He is YOURS for heaven’s sake Se Kyung and I’m not stealing him away. You don’t have to do this!”

“Oh I have to, you are a naïve girl Hyu Me. You can’t even sense what Jonghyun is actually feeling about you. Do you think I’d do this if everything is okay? ”

I hope Jonghyun comes fast; this girl is not making any sense right now. And she acts like she’s crazy. Maybe it is best to ignore her. When I took a step back, she suddenly understood what I was about to do. She slapped my hands and the broken pieces scattered at once.

“Shin Se Kyung” I said, with a very controlled voice, “You are breaking my patience.”

”Oh please do break it, I need you to do your best too,” She messed up her hair and tore a small part of her clothes. She took a shard of glass and rubbed it in her hands until blood started to come out,

“What are you doing?” I said, slightly panicking when she cut herself.

She smiled, an eerie one, “There is a reason why I am an actress Hyu Me; I’m showing you now.”

And then she started to scream. She screamed so hard that Jonghyun came running to her side. “Se Kyung what—Oh god, you’re bleeding!”

There are tears forming in her eyes. She hugged Jonghyun tightly. Her delicate eyes found me again. She raised her bloody finger and pointed it to me.

I am totally freaked at what she’s doing. No sane person would do that to herself. My eyes follow the blood dripping from her finger. Se Kyung is shaking as her words slipped out from her lips. “Oppa, Hyu Me did this to me! She said that I am taking you away from her then she started to throw glasses at me!”

Her sobs filled the whole restaurant after that.

I thought it would break my patience, I thought it would make me angry and that I’d actually do everything that she said. But none of those thoughts did grow inside me. “You’re pathetic Shin Se Kyung.” My voice was too calm that it sounds like I really am evil.

“You didn’t do it, right Hyu Me? Se Kyung is just confused right now. What truly happened?” Jonghyun’s voice rang in my ears. I can sense that he’s hoping I would say yes but at the same time there is suspicion in his voice. That suspicion made me sick to the very gut; did he really think that I can do such thing to a person?

“Trust me; you don’t want to know what happened.” I don’t know why I smiled when I said that. Did I really want Jonghyun to think that I hate her? “You clean her up, lock the restaurant for me, CIAO!” I stormed my way out. I saw the satisfied glint on Se Kyung’s eyes before I reached the door.

She IS an actress after all…

I really don’t know why I’m playing under Se Kyung’s game.

---&---

 

Taemin’s point of view

 

“Noona, you look so pretty with the dress Hyung brought you.” I remarked as I browse at any news about ‘My Sweet Ordinary Girlfriend’ in Hyu Me’s phone. We are in the hospital again.

It’s already 12 in the morning, but I risked escaping away from my manager. The more I try to see Hyu Me noona, the more I become stubborn. Kyuhyun hyung will be proud of me, I thought fondly.

Hyu Me wasn’t in the mood to see me at first but since her father’s thumb did move when I was around, she didn’t object of my being here. As usual, she held her father’s hand and stare at him. I’m not really sure why I’m here. I just wanted to see her, I guess.

Since she didn’t like talking to me, I borrowed her handphone so that I can browse the net. I felt happy just doing that. I’m not fond of internet but I do miss the times when I can freely surf on my phone. That privileged changed when the show started.

I viewed the pictures of Junghyun hyung and her. I saw a picture where it looks like noona fell on the sofa and hyung was on top of her. Feeling uncomfortable, I clicked to the icon ‘Rival couple’ indicating her tandem with Minho. “Whoa, you shouted at the crew?” I said feeling proud for my noona.

“Why did they post it online? Won’t that that be a bad image for their part?” Hyu Me noona, sat beside me. Both of us are reading what’s on the site.

“It’ll be a bad image for them noona but it can make the ratings higher. A little excitement for the show,” It’s only a guess but I think that’s closest reason there is. “See, judging the comments, I think more people likes you now.”

Her expression didn’t change. She still looks occupied over something. Knowing her attitude, I know she won’t tell me what’s wrong even if I beg so I just went on browsing. I clicked the ‘Music couple’ indicating her tandem with Key this time. “Oh, you did tarot reading yesterday?” Since it’s taped just recently, I think it wouldn’t be broadcasted for awhile.

Hyu Me’s eyes lit up, “Hey big baby,” she said like she remembered something. The word baby made me slightly embarrassed. But she calls me that whenever I act so childish for her and not for any other reason so I just let her go. “Did Key act strangely awhile ago?”

“Hmmm,” I looked at the ceiling as I try to remember. “He was quiet after our performance. I tried talking to him and he only answers with short responses like yes, no or maybe.”

Hyu Me noona sighed, “I think he found out the tarot’s surprise. I hope it’s not something serious.”

The picture’s caption says that both of them will have their surprises. “Noona, what was the tarot’s surprise for you?”

At once her face darkened, she wrapped her arms around her and turned to me, “Do you like Shin Se Kyung?”

My head shook at once; my memories with her are not pleasant. “She has hurt Jonghyun hyung enough. She’s a good actress and she knows how to manipulate people through her words. I have heard her conversations with hyung before and I have read the texts she gave hyung. Her words are hurtful noona. Even if I am a man, I still can’t imagine how Jonghyun hyung took all of that.”

Hyu Me bit her lip, “I think I have made a huge mistake Taemin,” she whispered. When I asked her what she meant, she didn’t answer. Instead she gripped the sofa, her eyes full of determination right now.

 

“I’ll have to play the bad girl again. I can let Se Kyung take Jonghyun again…not when I’m around.”

 

 

End! Thank you for reading. I am focusing at Jonghyun right now, don’t worry the other shine boys will have their limelight soon. If you have any criticisms, opinions, advices or comments, the comment box is available below. Night!