Chapter 18 - Stay away from me

Shinee's no Ordinary Date

tumblr_m3d0rfNdzj1rs24p2o1_500.jpg

 

 

 

It’s a beautiful Wednesday; the sun shines bright in South Korea foreseeing a successful busy day ahead. Small babies are crying for food, students are in their respected classrooms pretending to listen to their teachers, workers are doing their job and some are just lazily lounging in their respected stores.

Just like what Yui is doing right now.

The music store where she is currently working is dead quiet. She’s not complaining, in fact she likes it. She sits inside the counter as she surfs the net. Her elbow rests on the table and her hand supports her sleepyhead.

She was surfing about ‘My Sweet Ordinary Girlfriend’. Yui can’t still believe her bestfriend—no, that’s wrong—her ex-bestfriend is the main person in this very famous reality show. Although it upsets her, she still checks all the pictures of the Music Couple… all the pictures of Key and Hyu Me.

Key the person she has admired for so long is with Hyu Me… is dating her traitorous friend…is…

“Uhm, miss?”

…Is in front of her!!!

Yui gasped and sat back in surprise. She has seen him countless of times but never did he see him this close. She knows there is a costumer in front of her but suddenly, she can’t bring herself to greet him. To greet KEY!

He’s so handsome, he’s so cute, and he’s perfect! Yui’s mind went on and on describing how amazing Key is. Although Key’s in casual clothes, this amazing fashionista still stands out.

Key waved his hand and gave a cute smile. “Do you still have Lucifer and Ring Ding Dong albums?” he asks, with his babyish and slightly husky voice.

Yui was too starstruck to talk so she only nodded. Key asks her kindly to bring it to him so he can pay for it. Yui dreamily went to bring the albums. She makes sure she moves slowly so that she can still have more time with him. When Yui handed the albums, their hands touched. She was too nervous her heart felt like it would explode.

“Thanks,” Key studied the albums with a very charming expression. “I hope Hyu Me will like this.”

Those six words shattered the happiness Yui just felt. “H-Hyu Me?” she asked as she finally found her voice again.

Key nodded, “I want to surprise her, here’s the money, Kansahamnida!”

As Key walks out, Yui’s mind is racing. How can he still think of Hyu Me even there are no cameras anymore? Is it possible that Key really likes her? NO! It can’t be, Yui thought. Hyu Me is dating four people, not just him. It’ll only hurt Key! Yui decided it is the right thing to tell Key the whole truth. “Key!”

The dazzling man, stopped. His hand holding the door’s handle. He awaits Yui’s next words.

“A-about Hyu… Hyu Me, she’s--”

“Oh right! You’re her friend right? I’m sorry I didn’t notice… that was rude.” He gave a small laugh. “Please keep on supporting us.” He bowed and left.

That’s not what I meant, Yui’s chance was gone. It didn’t disappoint her though, it encouraged her more. She smiled to herself.

As long as Key oppa thinks Hyu Me and I are still friends then… then there will always be a next time.

­­---&---

 

Minho’s point of view

 

Surprised… shocked… flabbergasted…

I guess there’s no word that can express what I’m feeling right now.

How would you feel if you suddenly find your own brother inside a shabby broom shed? What’s more to it, he’s not alone; he’s with your supposed-to-be-girlfriend.

“Hello dongsaeng,” My brother greeted me with a surprising cheerful tone. I didn’t know what to say to him. I wasn’t expecting to see him even if I know this is where he studies. The silence is making me awkward.  Just then, something grabbed my face.

I tried to focus. It turned out it was Hyu Me’s hand. “What happened to your face? Can’t you be a little careful?” she asked me with a hard tone.

Who do you think is this fault? Anger starts to rise inside me. For some reason, I suddenly want to argue with her, “Why Hyu Me, are you worried? You’ll lose if that’s the case.”

She grits her teeth, “Actually I was suppose to say that you deserve it. That’s for leaving me.” She poked the bruise which was on the corner of my lips. I jerked back when I felt the slight pain. “Stop acting so childish you--”

“Minho,” We both tensed when my hyung spoke. He was leaning on the door, observing us. “Are the two of you… dating?”

The two of us answered at the same time.

“Yes.”

“No.”

Yep, I said yes.

Hyu Me’s eyebrows shot up at once, she grinned, but it wasn’t a happy grin.  “We’re dating? You’ll lose that way Minho.”

I scoffed, “the heck, I just meant, we are tasked to date.”

“Oh, that’s interesting.” My brother stepped out bowing his head as to not hit the low door. I noticed Hyu Me blushing as she looks at my brother. I silently rolled my eyes. It was disgusting and…and somehow irritating to look at. “The two of you can stay here; I’ll have to settle the problem with Milady’s flower.”

“Just don’t bother hyung. Teach this girl a lesson.” I pointed a finger to Hyu Me which she slapped right away.

Hyung shook his head, “I didn’t do a good job as a Student Leader. That’s why it came to this.” I have no idea why he emphasized the ‘student leader’ as he glanced at Hyu Me neither why she suddenly looks shy. But I do know I’m the least wanted here.

I took the flower from Hyu Me’s hand, “I’ll do that. I kind of… talked with the guards just awhile ago.” I told my Hyung, “You just look after her and make sure that she’s not plucking anything again.”

I walked away before Hyu Me can say a word. I walked away as fast as I can. I haven’t notice the flower almost crushing in my hands. Hyu Me… that girl never knows how to be grateful.

I stopped in a quiet corridor and took out another pink flower from my pocket. Seeing it reminds me of what happened awhile ago.

I didn’t leave Hyu Me.

We are rivals but I do know the limitations to that. I was ready to help her, AND IT’S NOT BECAUSE I WAS CONCERNED. It’s just my manly instinct to protect a girl. Believe me; it took me a great time to consider Hyu Me as a girl.

Just as Hyu Me ran for escape, I took a plain pink orchid which looks exactly like the flower she was holding. “Boys, looking for something?” I remembered myself taunting the guards as I twirl the orchid. I got their attention. They forgot my stupid rival and went on chasing me instead.

I got the bruise when one guard caught up with me. He gave me a strong smack just enough to open a slight gush in my mouth.

“Ch-choi Minho-ssi?” the guards who punched me backed out as soon as he recognized my face. This gave me time to escape. I tried to look for Hyu Me after that. I smirked along the way thinking that by helping her, Hyu Me will owe me big time. I know her, she hates owing people.

As I passed classrooms and silent corridors, I heard someone talking inside the broom shed. It was Hyu Me’s voice. I found her, that’s what I thought. Just as I held the handle of the door, ready to tell her that she’s safe, I heard her say that line that had struck me seriously.

 I’m telling you, there’s nothing good with that guy…

It is a simple line, a line that other people would probably ignore but not me.

I opened the door at once. I found her with hyung so close together. No wonder she says there’s nothing good about me. He’s talking with my brother after all… he’s talking with Choi Minsuk.

Choi Minsuk, my perfect big brother; the most loved, the smart guy, the person who’s praised for his love of a simple life.

The person who is the exact opposite of me.

At first I was wondering why the PD’s and the staffs just left when Hyu Me plucked the flower. It was a serious mistake and they should have stood up for her. It took me few more minutes to realize that this is all a set up. I can see tiny cameras hidden in every corner of the campus; secretly following Hyu Me and me.

Betrayed; that’s how I feel right now. No wonder we are in Seoul University, this show purposely do this so that I can meet my brother. My perfect brother. What do they exactly get by doing such thing? To excite the viewers? It’s sick, totally sick. The worse part is, I know I can’t do anything but to play long.

“Here’s your flower.” I tossed the flower to the guards near the cafeteria. “Have you seen a red haired, green eyed girl?”

They nodded like good puppies and pointed towards the exquisite cafeteria.in front of them.I jerked my head and saw her. Her face still blushes until now. Her green eyes are bright and her lips… her lips are forming a bright smile.

I was struck for a moment. I didn’t know Hyu Me can smile this way. A smile that looks happy and… beautiful. Oh no, Hyu Me is messing with my mind again. I can’t let her do this. Especially because I know her smile is for my brother.

Once again, I’m telling myself that Hyu Me and I don’t like each other. Although this is the case, the deepest part of me was hoping that she won’t be like the rest. That she wouldn’t compare me to my brother. But then she did say there’s nothing good with me. I shook my head and backed off. It’s weird; suddenly my chest feels so heavy.

I have to go away from here, I have to breathe. Call me coward, call me strange. I don’t care… no one would understand me because nobody knows what my brother is to me.

My brother… Choi Minsuk is my greatest weakness.

And I can see that my greatest weakness is interested with my fake girlfriend...

 

 

Hyu Me’s point of view

 

I have a question... why does blood rush to your cheeks causing you blush involuntarily? It’s useless really, sometimes it worsens the situation.

I wish the redness in my face would stop. I really hate it. To many, this occurs when people are shy when they see someone they like. Not to me. My cheeks burn when I’m almost dying due to embarrassment. First Taemin saw me cry when my father’s thumb move and now this, with Choi Minsuk. I hope he won’t misunderstand.

We entered the cafeteria which looks like a high class restaurant. Believe me; it’s ten times classier than Soolpik ajhussi’s. I noticed my mouth was open the whole time as I follow Minho’s brother. Minho… what happened to his face anyway?

“Minsuk--” I started

“Miss Hyu Me, shouldn’t you be calling me oppa? I’m older than you.” There was no hint that he was kidding. He just tells me casually like it’s a normal thing. In all fairness, it makes me at ease.

“O-oppa,” I can feel goosebumps as I said that. I think American culture has gotten pretty bad to me. I can’t even say the word oppa anymore.

He smiled, like he was contented, "Yes?"

"I'm really sorry for saying reckless things in front of you" I told him.

He smiles like he's amused. "You're not sorry for saying that though."

I shrugged and crinkled my nose like a child. "I'm not taking that back, except for the part where I said there's nothing good with Minho I guess."

"So you'll still screw student leader?"He laughed quietly, when I didn't reply. "Thank you for being honest Hyu Me, I like that."

"What is the Milady's flower?" I asked, I remembered him mentioning it to Minho.

"It represents the person who founded this university. It has a tragic story, do you want to hear it?" He offers a seat to me in the centermost table as he speaks.

"Maybe next time," I said "It depresses me to hear about the flower I just plucked. Uhm, oppa? is there a band aid here?"

Minsuk suddenly neared his face, concern on his face. "Did I hurt you in the broomshed?"

I shook my head at once. I can't help but smile, he is so concerned with me. He sounds like a big brother. "Ani, but Minho's got a bruise just awhile ago."

"You take care of my brother well Hyu Me, you're a good girlfriend."

I laughed, "I'm not his girlfriend. I Mean..our situation is pretty complicated. That's weird, you haven't seen the show?"

"Television is strictly restricted here." He drummed his fingers on the table, "Does Minho treat you well?"

I looked at him in the eyes, his question made me hesitate. But I decided to tell him the truth, "I can't think that way because Minho and I are rivals. It's not a bad thing really, and as far as our relationship is concern, I'm okay with it. I think it's a lot more interesting than being his girlfriend"

Minsuk cocked his head, and narrowed his eyes, "You are interesting Hyu Me."

"I'll take that as a compliment oppa," I chuckled nervously as his gaze never leaves me. My eyes averted to the front, I found Minho outside. His lean and tall body stands there motionlessly with a serious face. I quickly stood up surprising Minsuk. My first intention was to go straight to Minho, I can see there is something wrong with him. "Oppa, I think I need the band aid," I told Minsuk without leaving Minho's strong gaze at me.

I felt Minsuk's hand passing the band aid to me, "The council is calling me Hyu Me, I'll see you later." I nodded. I should be going towards him now. But my feet was suddenly heavy. There's something about the way Minho looks at me right now. With huge effort, I was able to walk.

"What are you doing here, shouldn't you be with hyung right now?" He asked me with a very cold tone. My heart pounded fast. I suddenly feel so nervous.

I decided to ignored him, "Will you bend a little, it's hard for me to reach your face" I tiptoed and tried to stick the band aid near his lips.

Minho jerks away, "I don't need that."

Now I'm irritated, "I don't care if you don't need it. I'm putting this on. You can't stop me." I grabbed the collar of his shirt so that are heads are at the same level. I gently put the band aid on near his lips. I bit my lip, feeling guilty for poking his bruise awhile ago now that I see it's swelling.

Minho misunderstood this action of mine, "Want me to kiss you Hyu Me?"

I pushed him away, "Yah! What's wrong with you???" He's irritating but he never joked like this.

He moved forward towards me, "You'll lose if you act nervous."

"I'm not nervous!" I said, almost yelling. Even if my heart already feels like it'll explode any minute. "W-why would I feel nervous to y-you..." 

He smirked, "Yeah, why would you? I bet you're nervous for someone else. Can't take your eyes of my brother huh?"

I have NO idea what his talking about. "Choi Minho, are you sick? Who punched you? it seems like he boggled your brain pretty well."

"He didn't Hyu Me, stop acting like you don't know what I mean" he muttered. then crossed his arms, "Let's have a race Hyu Me." he says all of a sudden.

"Why are you suddenl---"

"If you win, I'll grant any wish of yours." He said cutting me off. Then he turned his back and continued. "If you'll lose..."

He let his words hang for a moment. I breathed, he's competitive mode is back. I thought this was the case. But as he continued, I figured Minho's getting more peculiar by the second. I don't know why, but for some reason, my heart skipped a beat and my stomach churns as he says...

 

"If you'll lose... then from now on...

 

you will Stay Away From Me"

 

 

End! Updated Finally...thanks for the new subscribers and thank you for the two people who commented. I neomo neomo apreciate it. Thank you.

-the picture is truly Minho's brother. :) his handsome right?

-If there's wrong with my story, please do tell me....the comment box is always there :)