Chapter 22 - Too late

Shinee's no Ordinary Date

 

Minho's point of view

 

I care for you Minho...

 

Babo Hyu Me. You shouldn't be saying things like this. How can I hold back for long, how can I control my feelings and how can I keep seeing her as only a rival if she withdraws all the toughness and tells me that she cares?

"Minhooo" I heard her call my name in a sing-song childish way. I look down at the innocent girl who is searching for me in the dark; I look at this innocent girl who undoubtedly understands me more than anyone else. 

"Close your eyes." I told her. I knew it was dark and that she can't really see me, but the way she reads me makes me unease. I didn't want her to see my face; I didn't want her to see how grateful I am to hear her say the words that I've been craving for eversince the controversies began.

Amidst the sullen darkness, I can clearly see when she closed her eyes; granting my wish that she says I deserve because I won. If only she knows the truth… It wasn’t me who won…

Hyu Me did.

I didn’t want to lose, especially to her but she has broken every resistance I had right when she pulled me towards that stage. I lost when I heard her amazing voice; I lost when she made me forget my problems when we sang together. I lost when she proved me I wasn’t just a face of Shinee and that my being an idol is something more than just controversies and popularity. And most of all I lost because no matter how much I try to stop myself…

I always end up being jealous when my hyung gets too close to her; when she laughs with him and when she says she feels comfortable holding his hand.

I don’t want this happening to me but at the same time, I can’t possibly lie to myself.

My hands held Hyu Me’s arms as I take a step closer. She leans on the cold cement of the lamppost; her eyes still closed.

The darkness looms around us and yet I can still see her… I only see her. Her face, her thin eyebrows that were slightly pulled together, her fine lashes, her rosy cheeks… her pink lips.

I realized I was already leaning myself to her; My face nearing to hers. What am I doing? Do I really want to kiss her? My heart was racing fast as I lean closer and closer to her; our faces just inches to each other, I know I should stop right now but I can’t bring myself to…

I don’t want to.

Darn it. This is the very reason why I badly want her to stay away from me. Because even if I’m broken due to the arising comparisons between my brother and I, even if I’m ruined because of being nothing in Shinee, nothing beats the fact that I am totally messed up with whatever I’m feeling for this girl.

Kim Hyu Me has messed me up.

She was supposed to be this annoying puppet of this show that I am inevitably stuck with; she’s the rival that I promised not to lose against with.

But why does it feel like I want to give in to her? Like I want to say the two words I’ve been dreading all this time…

G  A  M  E   O  V  E  ---

“Minho!”

Hyu Me’s eyes popped open right when she heard the person I actually hate right now…

Choi Minsuk

I took a sideway glance and I saw hyung looking alarmed, threatened and nervous. I haven’t seen those expressions painted on my ‘perfect’ brother for a long time.

Hyu Me couldn’t still see a thing due to the blinding darkness but she probably felt my steady breathing so close to her. She must’ve found it uncomfortable because her left hand started to search for the switch of the lamppost. I took hold of her wrist to stop her and nailed it on the post.

“Minho!” Hyung called me again with a louder voice this time.

“Stay away hyung!” I yelled, finally letting out the bubbling irritation inside me.

“What’s going on Minho? I can’t see a thing; let me turn on the light.” Hyu Me said, anxiety building in her voice.

“Chill, nothing is wrong.” I whispered to her. “Hyu Me, I finally know what’s my wish.”

She narrows her eyes, curiosity painted in her face “Tell me.”

“Remember when I said that you should stay away from me?”

“Yes?

“Forget I ever said that. Never ever stay from me again.”

CLICK!

I the light myself. Hyu Me finally saw how close we were. Her cheeks flushed as she tried to pull away. I held her tight, not ready to let go of her yet. “Minho-ah, I don’t know about you, but I definitely feel awkward.”

“You haven’t said yes, Hyu Me” I said as I stare intensely at her.

“Oh, sorry” She gave me another sincere smile that has been giving me odd sensations all this night. “I will grant your wish.” She clears and looks away; when she did, she saw Minseuk. “O-oppa! I’m so sorry for leaving you without permission.”

She was taking a step towards him. She tugs in her wrist but I still didn’t budge. She looks at me and reads my expression. “Come on Minho, I am NOT staying away from you. But oppa’s my ‘date’ for tonight and Yuri’s yours. We both have to apologize to them.”

My plan did backfire…I released her and she quickly runs to hyung’s side. It almost seem like she forgot that we were together. My hyung put his hands on Hyu Me’s shoulder in a protective manner. He looked at me with a serious expression which he usually gives when I do something wrong. “That wasn’t a good thing to do Minho.”

I didn’t answer him. Instead, I just stared back with challenging eyes. This made Hyu Me curious. She sways her head back and forth to the both of us like a little child. “What did he try to do?”

I tried to kiss you, you naïve girl. Her innocence made me realize that my actions were indeed wrong. I almost took advantage of her. “Mhiane Hyu Me.” I said, expressing myself.

She rolls her eyes and shrugs, “No harm done.”

“Hyu Me,” I saw hyung take Hyu Me’s hand again. My stomach churns at the very sight. “I’ll walk you back in the restaurant.”

Yuri went beside me and pats my shoulder which was probably a sign of comfort. I smiled at her half-heartedly motioning that I’m alright. “Minho, be sure to come at Milady Viena’s Ball.” Hyung called out. He sneers as she pulls Hyu Me. “I’m sure the girl in S.U. you mentioned awhile ago will be pleased if you offer the flower.”

My hands balled into fists due to rage, “Oh I will offer the flower to her hyung. How about you? Finally found the girl to kneel in front with?”

I saw his eyes flash to Hyu Me before answering. “Yes, and I’m very confident she’ll accept it.”

I smirked as I get hyung’s message very clearly. “Don’t be too sure. Remember, she’ll have to choose if there is another person that would offer her Milady’s flower.”

“We shall see.”

Bring it on Hyung…

It was the very first time I stood against my brother and I have to say that the odds are not in my favour. I shrugged it off; turning back against that challenge is not an option anyway. The thought of Hyu Me accepting my hyung’s flower is way too much for me to handle.

Yuri and I stared as they walk back to the restaurant. Yuri sighs and looks up at me dreamily. “It was almost game over back there.”

I gulped and nodded, “That girl is extremely dangerous. No wonder MBnet chose her.”

Kim Hyu Me… you don’t know how much you have lured me into your trap

. 

Kim Hyu Me’s point of View

 

 

“Hayaaa!” I expressed as the thrilling sensation of jumping so high ran through my body. I landed on a sitting position on the soft cushion.

“Tsk, this is no challenge at all.” Minho mutters confidently. I rolled my eyes ignoring his attempts to act so confident. Both of us added another 10 cm block on the towering blocks.

It was 1 in the afternoon and Minho and I are competing against the sport you call ‘high jump’ here in Seoul University. Yes, we’re here again but somehow it felt different. For one thing, Minho and I still compete and say trashy things but the feeling is not the same anymore. I’m stupid with interpreting feelings but based on what I can see; Minho and I are getting along well.

Weird is, it feels good.

“170 cm? This is too short Hyu Me! How can I jump over this block which is 10 cm shorter than me?” Minho complained, almost whining. I rolled my eyes and just urged him to go.

Our game went on just like that. I jump while Minho complains and then jumps.

“I doubt if you can reach that.” Minho remarked when we reached the 190 cm stage. Minho has to add the block himself since I couldn’t reach it anymore. “You’ll lose Hyu Me, hah! You’ll have to grant me another wish by then.”

He smirks and I smiled, I haven’t seen him this happy and energetic again. “If I lose, what will your wish be?” I asked him. It was plain obvious that I’d really lose. 190 cm is too tall for me.

He stepped closer to me; I took one step back at once. I couldn’t help remembering how his face was just inches to mine under that lamppost. I couldn’t help but blush when I remember how my heart was pounding like crazy back then. “If I’d win… then I’d wish that you won’t go to the party tonight. I wish the both of us won’t go to the party tonight.” He said in a surprising soft voice.

I frowned, confused. “I thought you want to give a flower to someone here in S.U.?”

“Hyu Me, the truth is--”

“Minho, how about you play High Jump with me?” Both of us turned our heads to the one speaking. I beamed at Minsuk oppa and waved my hand at him. He looks really tall with his P.E. uniform. He smiled back and then turned his attention back to Minho. “The loser will grant the wish of the winner”

“I’m sorry Hyung, I only do bets with Hyu Me.” Minho answered. I gazed at him and was worried when he didn’t look happy anymore.

“Oh, is my dongsaeng afr aid of me?” Now my head turned to Minseuk oppa who, for the first time, sounded like a bully.

Minho’s eyes flickered at me. I felt jittery when I realized that he really just wants to do bets with me and not to anyone else. Call me a feeler but the way he said it sounded like it’s all so special for him. “How about this, think that Minseuk oppa and I are as one. In that case you can do bets with him too.”

Bad move Hyu Me

I thought it was a good thing to say. Stupid, now Minho is glaring angrily at me. Did I say something wrong? I just said that he should consider Minseuk and me as one.

“If that’s what you want Hyu Me, then fine!” He crossed his arms and marched off to the starting point. Without a warning, he ran and gave a perfect high jump. I sighed; it was amazing to look at.

I felt a hand touched the top of my head; it was Minseuk oppa with a smile on his face. “Wish me luck.”

I nodded; I opened my mouth to say ‘Good luck’ but I couldn’t just bring myself to do it knowing that he is against Minho. “g--- luck--- o-oppa” I look away right after I mumbled.

Minseuk went to the starting point as well. He runs with big steps then jumps in a perfect posture. Boy, the Choi Brothers are amazing to look at.

As the block goes higher and higher, numerous students are gathering to look at the competition. I saw Mary unnie, squealed right when she saw Minho jump the 210th block.

220th

The tower is almost a foot and a half higher on Minho’s height.

230th

Everyone gasped when Minseuk almost didn’t make it

240th

Minho landed with a loud thud!

250th

“STOP!” I shouted. I ran to the panting Choi Brothers and gave them their bottled waters. “This would never end. You guys are way too good; how about another game?” I suggested.

“Fine by me.” Minho said in a cold tone. “I’ll make sure I win.” He wipes he sweat and went to the field. I wanted to follow him but then oppa went in front of me, blocking my view. “Are you excited for tonight?” He asks me.

I shrugged. I didn’t know what I am feeling. This is my first time to go to such extravagant party without cameras following me.” Are you excited oppa?”

He laughs and pats my head again. “Yes, I am. There’s a girl I really want for tonight.”

I looked up to him with big curious eyes, “Nugu?”

He bends a little and whispers, “The same girl that my dongsaeng is interested with.”

I gasped. That’s why Minho is so heated up, they like the same girl! Who on earth could it be? I stared at the girls crowding the two brothers. Is she somewhere there, watching? Funny, if only she knows there are two handsome and amazing men fighting for her. I wonder what she would feel if the two of them are serious about her?

“Are you trying to figure out who she is?” I haven’t noticed oppa was observing me. I nodded with his question.

He chuckled, “You won’t see her Hyu Me…”

 

”You are too blind to see.”

 

And I was like, “Huh?”

---&---

 

Mihno’s point of view

 

Soccer…

That’s the next challenge. Whoever scores first would win. If hyung and I were serious just awhile ago, now it would be do or die. You see, our father is a soccer coach; it means we were taught well. By playing against each other, we would now know if who was taught better between the two of us.

I’m not losing this one,that’s what I thought. Hyu Me was sitting at the corner of the field, watching at us. She gave me a ‘fighting!’ gesture but I just glared at her. Consider Minseuk and you as one? What’s that suppose to mean?

Hyung and I positioned ourselves with the soccer ball between us. Being his opponent is weird; I have always felt inferior to him but we never faced against each other before. It was always a one-sided competition for me. “Minho,” my brother called my name with a deep voice. “Did appa teach you one of his secret techniques in playing?”

Confusion was plainly painted on my face and I know hyung can see it because he suddenly smirked at me. I know what he’s trying to do. He’s intimidating me; a psychological attack. I should try to evade it but I can’t. Did appa teach him some special moves without me knowing again? Why do I always lose in the world of favouritism?

“Minho!” I heard a strong female voice. My eyes focused and found Hyu Me with her two hands around , ready to shout. “The game is starting dimwit! Protect your goal!”

Protect my goal? What is my goal?

Oh right, my goal was the one who just called me dimwit. I ran after Minseuk hyung as fast as I can. He kicks the ball hard when he saw me nearing the distance. I ran after the ball but then he blocks me. I slipped my foot between his legs and drew the ball closer to me.

“Wohoo oppa!!!” I heard the girls scream when I captured the ball to my side. I kicked it hard towards my goal and ran after it again. I felt hyung brush past me as he positions himself to defend his post. As soon as I kicked and aimed for my goal, everyone gasped as they anticipate a score from me. Hyung reached the post, veered and kicked back the ball so hard that I wasn’t able to block it. The ball goes to my post now. I didn’t run after it knowing it’s no use.

“That won’t reach the other end.” I defended myself rather than just telling hyung.

He shakes his head and gave me a look that says ‘you-still-have-lots-to-learn’ “It’s all about Physics Minho. With the right amount of force plus the additional effort from veering, the ball would past that white line. See for yourself.”

I watched the ball slowing down…slowing down. Don’t reach the white line,,,don’t! I chanted in my thoughts. I felt a hand on my shoulder. It was hyung’s, “That’s appa’s secret.”

I froze as he whispered that. My eyes never leave the ball which finally passed the white line. I exhaled, not believing it.

I lost…

I stared at the ground as girls stopped screaming my name for awhile and then turned to shout praises to hyung. Their screams and change of heart didn’t matter. I am busy avoiding the eyes of one girl… Hyu Me’s eyes. I can bear to lose to her but its way different when I lose to someone else while she’s watching; Worse, I was against Choi Minseuk. “Tell me your wish hyung” I muttered as fast as I can. I have to get away from here.

Hyung gave a one sided smile as Hyu Me approaches us. “My wish is simple Minho. Just be late for at least one hour at the party tonight. Don’t show up until you are one hour late, simple isn’t it?”

I gaped at him incredulously as I realized what he’s planning. The ‘offering of flower’ ceremony finishes exactly one hour after the party starts. He doesn’t want me to be late; he doesn’t want me to be there when he offers his flower to Hyu Me.

Hyung, you genius sneak!

 

---&---

 

“KIM HYU ME!!! JUST COME OUT ALREADY!”

“BE QUIET! YOU’RE NOT THE ONE WHO’S WEARING MAKE-UPS AND A GOWN, YOU DIMWIT!”

It’s already 5:45 pm. Only fifteen minutes left and Hyu Me will be attending the party. Hyung personally ordered me to her to the entrance. It was a sign of mockery from my brother; I can bring her to the party and it only ends there.

BONG BONG BONG!

I thumped on the door hard. “Just open the door!” Just then, I heard the clicking sound. “About time to-” My voice failed to work when I saw her.

“I know it doesn’t suit me” She mutters.

“You’re definitely right,” I felt my face heat up when I said that lie. I may have seen her wearing a cute dress and a swimsuit but this time it’s different. Her look shows her elegant side. She’s dressed in a flowing pink gown exposing her white shoulders.  With frills and laces designed everywhere. Her dark red hair was curled and loose on her shoulders complimenting her deep green eyes.

She looks perfect for the ball.

“You look good dimwit.” She said casually. “Your necktie is too loose.” She arranges my black tie with her delicate gloved hands. Shivers ran down to my body as I felt her touch me. Get a grip Minho! You’re losing yourself!

I cleared my throat and muttered my thanks when she finished it. “Minho-ah, can you put this on me?” I look down and saw a pink hairpin on her hand. I frowned, the pin’s design are for children. Hyu Me understood my reaction. I saw her blush a little as she explained. “Thi-this is my first time to wear something like this and be with people like them. I feel so nervous; I think I’m going crazy! Especially that you won’t be there for the first hour.”

“You…you want me to be there with you?” My chest tightened at the thought. I bet it sounded like I’m trying to but honestly it was just a desperate confirmation.

She nods seriously, “The hairpin gives me strength. This is my first time wearing it and I’m not sure how to put it. Will you please…I mean… put it on me?”

I took it and closed the space between us. I slowly clipped the hairpin making sure I’m not ruining her hair. I found it hard to concentrate when I smelled her sweet fragrance. Hyu Me is luring me unknowingly to her again.

“Thank you dimwit.” She smiles and looks at herself in the mirror. I stood behind her looking at her reflection. The hairpin looks childish but it still looked good on her; like it really is a part of her. Her long nose crinkles as she frowns on her reflection. “This is not me. I definitely don’t look good, especially with this.”

You don’t look good…You look dead beautiful, you naïve girl.

DING! DING! DING!

The church bell of the school means that the ball is finally going to start. Our eyes met on the mirror right away. Fighting against myself, I offered my arm to her. She wraps her slender wrist around it as she accepts me. “Take care of me dimwi—I mean o-oppa.”

My heart skipped a beat when she said that. She blushed harder than before. “I know, I know it’s awkward!” she exclaimed. “Calling you with your own name felt more formal to me… more reserved. I called you with that name because I disliked you before, right when I saw you at the restaurant.”

“D-does this mean that you like me now?” I tried my best to sound like I’m teasing. Good thing she did think it that way. She gave me a smile that she usually does when she’s playing around. “Don’t look too happy, you’ll lose if that’s the case.”

We arrived at the foot of the door still making small bets with each other. I looked up and saw hyung inside staring at the both of us.

Dread ran down to my very spine. I almost forgot of his wish. “I can’t go any further Hyu Me.” I said, the smile on my face is now long gone. My brother would probably do somethig worse than just offering a flower...He might even confess to her. "You do remember my last wish to you, right?" I added without even understanding why I did.

Hyu Me looks up, she squeezed my hand and gave me a sincere smile again. “See you in an hour oppa.”

She unlocks our arms and gracefully went inside of the ball room.

An hour later… I hope I’m not yet too late by then…

 

---&---

 

“Welcome handsome young men and gorgeous young women! Finally, It is time for ‘Milady Viena’s Ceremony!’”

The thunderous claps echoes around Seoul University. Everyone has been waiting for this moment. The highlight of the ball: the re-enactment of Sir Montaque’s offering of flower to Milady Viena.

Tick…tock… tick… tock…

Choi Minho has been watching his watch for the last fifty minutes, bearing in mind that he can finally enter that double doors with intricate designs by the next ten minutes. The young man cranes his neck as soon as he heard the announcement. He tries to find Kim Hyu Me somewhere inside but then he failed. He guessed that his brother must’ve hidden her well. The very thought was nerve-racking for him.

He slumps his shoulder and leans on a high mango tree. Yes, Choi Minho is somewhere above a mango tree; sitting on a high sturdy branch. He finds this position favourable since he can see the centre-most part of the stage inside the ball room where the lady shall stand and wait for a man to offer her a flower.

One girl steps up on the stage. She was beautiful with her long blazing red dress. It took 30 seconds before one brave young man went up and offered her a flower that is an exact replica to Milady Viena’s. The girl accepted it and hugged him. Minho couldn’t help but imagine Hyu Me’s face when she sees the hug. She’d be pressured knowing that it’ll be soon her turn.

Under the Silver Moon, Minho thoughts drove him to the poem that tells the story of founding S.U. It just occurred to him that his brother has indeed taken the advantage of the event. You see, the story is well known for the relationship of Sir Montaque and Milady Viena. Most people forgot of the darker part of the story. Under the silver moon is actually a tragic tale of two brothers. While Sir Montaque was popular, wanted and loved, his younger brother was buried underneath earth. Forgotten… rejected… and dead.

I am the younger brother in the story. Minho thought to himself. While my brother is the popular, wanted and loved.

Minho weighed the pink flower his hand. His brother has given this to him as soon as he passed Hyu Me to him. “For the girl you want dongsaeng,” he remembers his brother said this. He sighs, and just thought of the positive side. In this way, I won’t have to lose against Kim Hyu Me.

“oooh!!!”

“aaah!!!”

Minho raised his head when he heard the crowd gasped in a mesmerized manner. He’s breathing stopped when she saw Hyu Me up in the center of the stage. She isn’t just beautiful now as the orange lights coming from the chandeliers engulf her…she is breath-taking.

Minho grips the stem of the flower never leaving the sight of her. He can see how nervous she is. Her hands were shaking and she constantly looks at the ground with a little frown in her pretty face. Back when Minho considered her as a rival, he would’ve smirk and like the fact that this girl is uncomfortable. But know he’s dead worried about her.

“Kyaaaaaaah!!!!!”

The sudden echo of the girl’s screams tingled Minho’s ears. He’s eyes were all glued when he found Minseuk slowly climbing up to the stage. He smiled in a romantic way having just the right amount of shyness. He faces Hyu Me who looked flabbergasted at what is currently happening. Choi Minseuk kneels with one knee and offered the flower to her. “Kim Hyu Me, will you accept me?”

The ball room was suddenly so quiet that one can even here a needle drop on the floor. Hyu Me, raises her head, confusion painted in her beautiful face. Her eyes scan the whole ball room and ended looking at the far end of the room. Minho shifts his position on the branch to see what Hyu Me is trying to look at.

He found himself looking at the big grandfather clock. It is exactly 7 pm in the evening. Why is she looking at the time? Minho’s mind was racing. Blood rushes so fast inside his veins as Hyu Me’s final decision is soon to be known. Suddenly it clicked.

See you in an hour oppa…

It is exactly one hour since the party started!

He can still catch up! He clutches the Milady Viena’s flower and jumps down from the high mango tree and ran towards the ball room as fast as he can. Don’t accept hyung’s flower Hyu Me. A sweat trickled on his forehead as he took bigger steps. He passed few people lounging outside and headed straight towards the entrance.

“Oppa, what are you doing here?” Minho stopped in his tracks when a girl blocked the doorway. He recognized it as Mary; hyungs friend.

“I’m going inside.” Minho replied shortly.

Mary suddenly spreads her arms as Minho took another step. “You’re not supposed to be here.”

Minho can feel the panic rising inside him. “NO! It’s past one hour and--- wait a minute, how did you know about hyung’s wish?”

Mary bit her lip. Minho’s forehead creased as realization hits him “Hyung asked you to stop me, didn’t he?” When he didn’t get an answer he insisted to go inside. “Let me in Mary.”

“Mhiane oppa,” Mary pushes Minho where girls were lounging in the lobby. He landed on the floor on all fours. When they saw him, they did something the usual fangirls do.

They scream…

“KYAAAH! It’s Minho oppa, at close!!!!!!”

Minho stood up at once and pathetically ran back to the door. Now not only Mary was there but two big security guards as well. “Let me in! I’m a guest too!!!” He desperately said, time is running low and Hyu Me might be accepting the flower any minute now.

“We can’t let you in when there are girls screaming at you. You’ll ruin the highlight of the ball.”

“Aisshh! Hyung planned all of these. I know he did!” Minho ran away; girls following him as fast as they can. He turned at the dark corner and climbed at the mango tree again. He dragged his tired body on the branch where he sat awhile ago. He's e’s ragged breathing was slowing him down. I'm going to shout from here and call hyu me, he decided to himself.

 He looks at the ball room again and was immediately petrified.

There in the center of the stage was Minsuk smiling happily; his one hand around Hyu Me’s shoulders. Hyu Me on the other hand smiles awkwardly at the applauding crowd…

Both of her hands holding a single flower…

 

Milady Viena’s flower…

 

That came from Choi Minsuk…

 

Minho leans on the trunk of the tree… devastated… hopeless…

 

 

 I am too late…

 

 

End! it took me so long to update...I feel sad...mhiane. I hope you guys will understand.

I didn't realize how hard engineering is (My course)...I have so little time for aff.

Hope you'll like my chapter. This is the second to the last for Minho's limelight.

-- I know some readers miss the other members...don't worry, they will have their own spotlight soon. I finally know what I'd do after that...still many twists to  come...hope you'll still support me...

Thank you for the new subscribers and LOVELY COMMENTS...I super love them!!!! Thank you once again.

-I always say thank you but i REALLY mean them :)...you guys always makes me happy

 

TIl the next chapter! :)