Chapter 19 - A Dive to My Memories

Shinee's no Ordinary Date

Indoor_Swimming_Pool_with_Diving_Platfor

 

 

Hyu Me’s point of view

 

Stay away from me

“W-what? Why?” I sputtered my words. I couldn’t understand my situation right now. The staffs are gone and here I am with Minho who is challenging me so that he can push me away.

“I don’t have to explain to you,” he said with his back still facing me.

“What about the show?” I asked him. I want to act like it’s the only reason why I want to hold him back.

He shrugged, “We’ll just have to act, there are no cameras right now; There is no one to please. Let’s do the bet. I want to finish this,”

I panicked when he took a step, I unknowingly grabbed for his shirt. “Minho-ah, don’t be like this.” I said with such a weak voice. “Am I really irritating you too much? Just tell me, I don’t understand you.”

Minho held my hand for the first time. But it wasn’t a sign of friendship or anything good. It’s a sign of rejection. He pulled away my hand that was holding him. “I’m not in my right mind Hyu Me, being with you worsens it. I’ll wait for you near the pool.”

And then he lets go and walks away…

It hurts…

 It hurts… Why does it hurt? I don’t get it. at times like this I should be talking back with Minho; saying his crazy and a weirdo. Why can’t I do it? My body is so stiff and my chest feels so tight… it feels so heavy. Am I blocking out again? If I am, then why?

Because he rejected me, because he’s throwing me away…

Why does it feel like I’ve experienced this before? I’m not in love with Minho so how can he bring such pain? Did this happen to me before?  I’m quite sure I never dated someone before. So if this feeling is from the past… then who rejected me?

It’s not a boyfriend, I figured, it’s someone closer… someone very important.

I can’t remember who is it… darn, why can’t I remember? I’m so sick of living in the present when I don’t even have anything to look back to.

“Hyu Me? Gwenchana? What happened to you?”

I blinked my eyes, trying to see who just came. But I can’t focus. I guess my sickness is back. I feel so pathetic.

“What happened? Why are you crying?”

Am I crying? How come I didn’t notice? The person forced me to face him. I can see the blurring gold seal and figured it was Minsuk oppa. “I-I’m fine.” I said shakily. “Can you tell me where the swimming pool is?”

This probably confused him and I understand. I’m crying as I ask for the direction of the swimming pool; that doesn’t always happen except when you’re a three year old kid. “I can’t tell you when you’re in this state.”

“Minsuk sunbae, the meeting is starting.”

I wiped my face, when I heard another voice. I sniffed and slapped my face. Wake up Hyu Me…babo Hyu Me. I blinked me eyes several times before I can see clearly again. I cleared my throat, “Where is the pool oppa? M-minho’s waiting for me.” I smiled to hide the fact that I did stammer when I said his name.

It was no use though; I can see he noticed it. After a few seconds, he finally told me. He didn’t have a choice; he’s greatly needed in the meeting. “I’ll come back as fast as I can Hyu Me.”

I nodded and jogged all the way to the indoor pool. I keep on reminding myself to act calm and cool. I have to do it. I’m not losing against Minho. I’m won’t let him push me away.

I’ll face his challenge even if I have to face water… my fear.

“Finally she’s here.”

I was shocked to see cameras focused on me. The staff… the crew… the PD, they are all here. I thought they all ran away?

“Late again, want me to buy a large watch for you?” It was Minho. I followed his voice. I was slightly surprised when I saw him only wearing his swimming trunks. I looked away, I haven’t seen men exposing their body this much before. “Is Hyu Me shy? You’ll lose that way.” His attitude his back. My rival Minho is finally back. Still, I didn’t relax; I know he’s just like this because we are taping.

It’s all for the cameras

Well if he wants to be in this game, then I’ll play along. “I’m not interested in bodies no matter how amazing it is for others.” The make up artist hands me a swimsuit and ordered me to change. I followed her. When I went out, unnie smiled and gave me an approving look. I faced the mirror as she arranged my hair into a braid. “You are very pretty Hyu Me,”

I rolled my eyes, “Gee, stop joking unnie, I might believe you.”

“I’m not joking you little kid, wait until Minho sees you. He won’t be able to take his eyes off you” She said with her eyes full of excitement.

I smirked, Yeah? He doesn’t even want to look at me right now. I stood up normally even if I feel so awkward. It seems like I’m walking with this green two piece swimsuit. When I walked out from the comfort room, I can hear people gasping. Man, I feel like hiding in a shell.

My eyes found the ground suddenly interesting due to embarrassment. Just then Minho wraps a towel around me. “You can’t stare at her like that people, you all look like erts.”

Before I can even stop myself, I already gave him a thankful look. I cleared my throat and gave a fake smirk. “You shouldn’t be protecting me right now or else you’ll lose.”

“It doesn’t matter, I’ll make sure I win this time” He looks away as he guided me to the pool.

The pool… it’s making me nervous again. I never liked water, although I can’t remember what happened that day, I’m quite sure it’s related to the accident I have been through. If I’ll have to swim so I can grasp even a second of my past then I’ll do it.

“Here’s the starting point. The first person to reach the other end will win.” Minho said. He takes of the towel he gave me. As I stared at the pool, he softly whispers near my ear. “Don’t forget our bet.”

I nodded. Director-nim stood up, ready to say ‘go’. Funny, how that two letter word scares me.

“ready…”

I bent down and imitated Minho’s pose.

“Set…”

My heart is pounding like crazy… I can feel sweat on the side of my forehead.

“GO!!!”

I jumped without hesitating. I hit the merciless cold water… my head starts to hurt… my mouth opens wide giving out a silenced shout…. Water fills my mouth…my lungs…. My stored air escapes from my lips as bubbles….my legs thrashes uselessly… my eyes widens as my lungs tightens…my body grows numb…and then a flash of memory suddenly appears right before my eyes….

Kim Hyu Me drowned after that.

 

Minho’s point of view

 

 I win

My hands gripped the other end tightly, hoping that the joyous feeling of being victorious would fill me. As I blow out the last stored air in my lungs, I realized that for the first time, I would never enjoy winning a bet against her.

My head escapes the cold water. My ears, finally working properly, hears frequent splashes from the other end. Is it Hyu Me making her way here? I looked up to the cameramen who are supposed to be focusing my face. His eyes were far away, wide in panic, his mouth hanging open. Not only him, but almost everyone is. I turned my head anxiously.

Hyu Me was drowning…

I swam as fast as I can. My arms throb painfully with every hard . I have to reach her, I have to save her. I can see she has stopped struggling and there are no more bubbles escaping from her lips. I grabbed waist as soon as I was close. I carried her out of the pool and lay her on the tiled floor. “Yaah! Open your eyes! Hyu Me!” Her face was so pale, and her body feels so cold. I have to wake her up, I put one hand over the other on her chest, I gave three quick push near her heart and her eyes opened. She spewed lots of water from . “Stay here, I’ll ask help.”

“Wait, please stay for awhile,” she said between heavy breaths.There is something going on with Hyu Me, I thought. Something’s troubling her other than the fact that she was drowning a few minutes ago.

“I’ll get you a towel, you’re freezing.” I told her. But she grabbed for me.

“No… please stay, just for a minute… ” I sighed and sat beside her as she said that. I put an arm around her shaking shoulders. My body tensed when she leans her head on me.

I know it’s not right to stay this way. Someone has to check her state, see if she is really okay. I looked around and realized that no one tried to save her even if they first saw her drown. The cameras are zooming around us and the director’s face is beaming as if he just found a golden treasure. I suddenly got pissed off. “Why didn’t you try to save her?” I addressed to all of them, “She could’ve died!!!”

“That’s for enter…entertainment you dimwit… so viewers would love this show…  aside from you, all of them knew I hate water” Hyu Me spoke with a very fragile voice.

I touched the tip of her chin and made her look at me “Why didn’t you tell me you didn’t know how to swim”

Her white lips formed a mocking smile, “Remember Minho, you’ll lose if you show me you care.”

“I DO CARE HYU ME!!! YOU THINK THIS IS JUST A STUPID GAME?” I shouted, feeling so angry right now.

Hyu Me laughed, “You just said the exact words I told you back in the tower. Now you know how it feels.” She pulled away from me and stood up, staggering. “You win by the way, congratulations, I’ll grant your wish starting right now.” There was no hint of sadness in her eyes wish made me feel worse.

She must be so thrilled to stay away from me…

She walks out through the back door as I sat there, thinking of what she just said; thinking of the fact that I just won. For one thing, I don’t feel any better right now.

I stood up, not able to hold it any longer.

I took my robe and found myself chasing Kim Hyu Me.

­---&---

 

CLINIC

(OCCUPIED)

 

Cameras… tiny hidden cameras everywhere…

I’d probably never get used to being watched at every time, Minsuk thought to himself. He went over to the bed where Hyu Me rests. He pulled the blanket over her body as she lay there still wet and damp from swimming. Minsuk has no idea what to do. The university is closed so neither the nurse nor the doctor is here.

I can’t possibly change her swimsuit, that’s not an option. Minsuk throws away the embarrassing thought. Finally admitting to himself that there’s nothing else he can do except to probably wait, he decided to find something to where.

Just awhile ago, Minsuk was walking as fast as he can with Hyu Me’s crying image in his mind. When he reached the back door of the pool, he found Hyu Me fainting. He caught her and felt her cold skin. Instincts told him that he should cover Hyu Me. And so he did; he took off his polo shirt and wrapped Hyu Me with it.

As he looks at the Clinic’s mini-wardrobe for a shirt, his young brother, also wet, enters the clinic. He stopped his dongsaeng before he can even enter. “She’s sleeping right now.” Minsuk told him with a voice that sounds like a real big brother.

“I just want to see if she’s okay hyung.” Minho said as he cranes his neck to look over Minsuk.

Minsuk crossed his arms, “You did this to her didn’t you?” he asks with curiosity and accusation in his voice.

Minho stopped moving. He hates it whenever his brother scolds him. “I didn’t know that she’s afraid of water.”

“How would you? You were too busy making her feel bad” Minsuk seriously said.

Minho looked at his brother with big eyes, he couldn’t believe the concern he’s hearing from his brother’s voice. “H-hyung why did you accept this show? I thought you hated the media. This is the reason why they bring us here in your school right? To complicate things between Hyu Me and me; to make you act like you’re interested in Hyu Me, right?”

Minsuk smirked, “Who ever said I am acting little brother?” he suddenly smiled. “That’s right; I am interested in Hyu Me”

The main reason I am here is to help you Minho, Minsuk thought silently, I’ll fill in the gap between us. And to be able to succeed, I must play the hard way. He patted Minho’s shoulder, “There is no problem right? I mean my dongsaeng doesn’t like Hyu Me after all.”

There was silence for one moment. And then…

“Right.”

Minsuk can see the lie right beneath those blank eyes of his brother. Minho stepped back, “Well then, take care of her.” He left after that.

Minsuk went back and sat on a chair near Hyu Me. Hyu Me… the girl who secretly dates four close friends. His hands the new girl’s forehead.

“Well I wasn’t lying,” he whispered to the sleeping lady, “I am interested in you.”

---&---

 

Taemin’s point of view

 

“Hyuuung!!!! Look out!!!”

Too late

My remote controlled helicopter hit Key on the head. “YAH! Don’t you have anything else to do? Can’t you see I’m trying to cook here? How many time do I have to tell you, no playing inside the kitchen.”

I scratched my head and pouted. Key hyung sounds like an umma when he nags. “Mhiane umma, I haven’t played this toy for months.”

It was a free night for us. We all decided to stay inside our dorm, since the five of us rarely rests. “You’re not deceiving me with that aegyo Taemin. Go find the other hyungs to play with.”

I picked my helicopter and went to the living room. I tried to wrestle against my hyungs, Jonghyun and Onew so that I can sit on the sofa. Knowing my hyungs are way stronger than me, of course I failed. I sat on the floor instead.

“Wooosh!” I said and pretended that my helicopter can fly.

I heard Jonghyun hyung groaned, “Ugh, you’re such a baby Taemin.”

I shrugged him of. I don’t want to act like a man anyway. It seems like that world has too many problems; it’s scary.

BEEP!

It was the sound of our electronic door saying that someone is coming in. Minho hyung who is obviously in a bad mood appears right before our eyes. “Where have you been Minho?” Onew asked.

“I went swimming.” He said before slamming the door hard.

All of my hyungs just continued whatever they are doing except for me. I have seen Onew-Hyu Me's first date by borrowing noona's phone. It says there that she hates water. I know Minho hyung came from the show's taping. And if he went swimming, then it means noona did too. If hyung is in a bad mood...

then what happened to noona?

"Hyung I'm going out, I want some Ice cream!!!" I declared as I grabbed my jacket.

Key's head pooped out from the kitchen, "I'm almost done cooking the chicken you kid!"

"Chicken?" Onew hyung woke up, just leave him then, those chikens are mine." I felt thankful for hyung's sudden greediness. I took my disguise behind our apartment, wore them, and rode a cab.

By paying the taxi a good deal, I arriveed at the hospital in no time. I took quick and large strides on the way. I just passed the hospital's little playground for kids when I heard her voice.

"Big baby is surely loving this place." She muttered. I stopped my tracks and saw her sitting on a swing. I went behind her back, suddenly not knowing what to say. "Can you push me? I really love swinging." She requested and so I did.

She let out a soft but very fake giggle "this is fun."

"Noona, what happened this morning?" I blurted the question not able to hold back anymore. She didn't talk for awhile. So I went on swinging her.

"Two and half years ago, I had a car accident with my dad. It happened on a bridge. The impact was so hard our car was thrown in the big river. It-it was suffocating, I saw my dad escaping the car's trap... leaving me underneath the cold water...and.. and...I can't remember anything else!" She clutched her hair near her temples, forcing herself to remember more of it.

I went in front of her and knelt. I held both of her wrists, "Let go noona..." she shakes her head, her face distorted as she suffers. "Let go, it's good that you're remembering a bit of it...don't hurt yourself, it won't help you. Noona, chebal..."

She lets go of her grip. I took her shaking hands. "I'll help you bring your memories back." I said with the most convincing voice I can muster.

"O-otteoke?" she asked me with doubtful eyes.

I gave a comforting smile. "Somewhere in room 202, a box full of past memories lays there awaiting his owner" I said, as I gripped noona's hands. "Is the owner ready to see them again?"

Those deep green eyes looks down at me as my noona nods. I breathed deeply, "Then I better get it now. Stay here noona."

I started towards the hospital...

I'll surely be late for dinner...

 

Key umma's going to kill me

 

 

End!!! I updated faster than I thought! keke...

Thanks again Taelen for reassuring me with my story :) Sometimes I get confused if I'm still doing it good....

Confusedfangirl: unnie! I'm not annoyed at all! It really makes me continue my story. Thanks for encouraging me to study well... I will unnie!

Sometimes I hesitate to continue whenever I see there is no comment. Not because I'm dying for praises, but I just want to be reassured that someone is reading this story...

 

Are there others reading there O.o? I hope you guys would subscribe, please :)...sorry, I'm not really the type of author who advertises my story since i'm shy but I'll excuse myself for now.

You see...my birthday is coming up, and one of my biggest wish is to at least reach 15 to 20 subscribers. I don't know why... but I think it would really make me happy....

Shameless advertising?....*blushes*...really sorry...just for now....just a little wish for my birthday...

-till the next update comes...annyeong!