Chapter 20 - And to think I scored this time

Shinee's no Ordinary Date

 

Taemin’s point of view

 

Six objects… we only have six objects inside this box. I hope these things can trigger even the slightest memory of noona.

Noona and I decided to sit on the long swing. Before I opened the box, I frowned like a child “Why do they make swings this long? Wouldn’t it be hard for kids to---”

Noon a looks away as her face forms a half smile. “It’s a swing for couples, you big baby.”

“Oh,” my face suddenly feels a bit hot, Ugh me and my stupid brain. “Then should we sit closer like a real couple noona?” I said, hoping this little teasing would lift up the awkwardness.

It did, although not in a good way. As expected, my grumpy noona glared at me. “Just open the box.”

“Neh,” I opened the box for the second time and decided to let noona see the things one by one. “Remember anything about this?”

Noona sadly shook her head at the cute pink hairpin I’m holding. “That’s not mine” she said.

“How did you know it’s not yours” I asked her expectedly. If she knows it’s not hers then that’s a memory already.

She shrugs and hugs herself, “I-I just… know.”

I smiled encouragingly, “It’s okay noona. You see, I have opened this box and have seen this hairpin already. Look at it, it’s a pin designed for two people.” Noona peeks closely at the pin. I’m sure she notices that the design is a half heart with a little girl extending her hand. “If this is not yours, then somewhere around the globe, your sibling is holding your hairpin.”

She nodded and considered this as an option, “A sibling…” she repeats to herself.

We moved on to the next, I took out an old looking, old smelling folder. I didn’t try to see what’s inside this before. I opened it and felt a rush of excitement. “A piano piece, it’s ‘River Flows in You’ by Yiruma! Noona, you know how to play the piano?”

She nodded but it didn’t lighten her expression; in fact, it darkens it. “I don’t remember playing that though…that…piece…”

She’s in pain again, I realized. I shut the folder and put it back on the box at once. “D-don’t… I have to… remember.” She said with a sudden ragged voice.

“No.” For a childish boy like me, I sure sound very tough right now. “You are not straining yourself tonight. Drowning to get a memory is enough.” As her resistance breaks, the excitement I was feeling did too. I know it’s not good to think of other things right now, but I couldn’t help but imagine playing the piano piece with her. ‘River Flows in You’ is my all time favourite.

“What’s this food rubbish?” Noona suddenly said, breaking me away from my thoughts. She took it out and was about to throw it.

I held her wrist and stopped her, “That food rubbish is probably very important for you before. It’s in this box for a reason. Put this inside your wallet so you won’t lose it.”

“This is ridiculous. I’m putting food waste in my wallet.” She mutters her complains but still follows what I said.

Hyu Me noona can’t get any feelings or memories on the next two things: A rusty chain and a key. “These are things that can be found inside the car. These things are probably from the accident you had.” We sat in silence for awhile, knowing that there’s only one thing left, and yet noona can’t remember even a single memory.

That’s when Hyu Me exploded. “Aisshh! How can Chun Yo hide these things from me for two years when they are all useless stuffs?”

“How about this, still useless?” I took out a black and white picture of a woman and a man- Hyu Me surely knows. Her eyes went wide when she saw her appa’s face. “Appa,”

The emotions she lets out when she say ‘appa’ makes me worry. How can she not remember how her father rejected her? Worse is, I have to tell her myself someday.

“Still useless, I can’t remember a thing about her.” Noona’s shaking again; the thing that happens to her when she’s frustrated, “is she an aunt, a chingu, or is she my own mother? My own mother… molla…molla!!! How can I not know her when she’s a part of my damn life???” She shouted. She hits the box and everything inside it fell on the ground. She stands up and starts to walk away.

One thing, I understand her situation right now, but noona has to learn what patience is. “I’m not picking this up noona.” I called after her. Still, she ignores me. “I’ll go home and leave this here! Janitors will throw these away and your only hope in getting back your past will be dead gone!”

After a minute or so, Hyu Me came back with a smug look. I picked everything up and the both of us quietly went back to room 202. “These things are not useless,” I said as I put the box in a safe place. “I’ll find a way to get something out of those. Sorry for yelling at you noona. I have to go home now.”

When I was at the foot of the door, I felt noona holding my hand. I turned to her and was surprised to see her so close. I unknowingly took a step back; my head hit the wall behind me. “Ouch!”

“Tsk, you are a clumsy big baby but I have to say, you’re handling me pretty well. Thank you for being here and I’m sorry for acting like a little brat to you.” Her hand squeezed my hand gratefully. I saw a dimple forming at the end of her lips as she smiles.

Her smile… its way different when you see it up close…it’s…it’s…wait, huh? What on earth am I thinking? Where am I looking at? I gulped and looked away “See you next time noona.”

I ran as soon as she released my hand. Man, that noona’s smile can be scary.

For sure, I’ll end up sleeping late again.

 

Kim Hyu Me’s point of view

 

Drowning again… being left behind….then darkness….complete darkness…

My eyes opened and absorbed the usual image of my house.

It has already been a week since I got that memory and yet it never leaves my dreams every night. I’m not complaining though, it’s better than having nothing at all.

I checked my watch; it says it’s still 6 in the morning. I got up from the floor where I’m lying and prepared myself to leave for work; something I do everyday and yet it feels very different. Now, I have a reason to wake up everyday. I have to know the relevance of those things: the chain, the key, the picture, the hairpin, the piano piece, and that food waste; such simple things and yet they’re my only hope of getting my life back, of knowing who I am.

“Ajhussi said you should buy these things.” Chun Yo said as he hands me a piece of paper. I nodded formally and went out to meet the cold morning breeze again. I sighed to myself. Chun Yo, he never looks at me now and he only talks when he really has too.

RRRinggg!

Who would call this early? I picked my phone and pressed the green button without looking it was. “Yoboseo?”

(Hyu Me-ah, I miss you.)

Goosebumps ran down my spine. I checked the caller’s name and found it was Onew oppa, “What’s with you? Are our phones tapped by the show?”

He laughed on the other corner, (I know you would say that. Of course not, just want to know how you are. We haven’t met for almost a month now. I really don’t want us to be awkward again.)

“Still, the reason why you don’t want us to be awkward is because of the show, right?” I countered.

I can almost here the smirk in the other line. (Aigoo my Hyu Me knows me too well. Don’t tell people okay? keke) I laughed, expected from my favorite fake-boyfriend in the show. He’s all about practicality, no feelings involved. (Yah! Taemin-ah, stop munching those chickens you punk!) I suddenly heard him shout.

“Tsk, I wonder how many chickens suffered just to satisfy your hunger.” I commented as I imagine big baby running away from Onew.

(Speaking of hunger, want to grab some food together? It’s a free day for me.) It might be not normal for me, but I wanted to say yes. I knew it was wrong when suddenly I hear another distant voice in the line. (Onew, a bad article about Minho came out. You’re needed at the SM building for a meeting right now.)

(“Maybe next time”), the both of us suddenly said. We said our goodbyes after that. I was running to reach the newspaper stand in the market area. I was shocked to see the front pages were all about Minho and his brother.

“Waah! It’s Hyu Me from ‘My Sweet Ordinary Girlfriend’! You can take the news papers for free!” The newspaper boy said eagerly when I was about to give him my pennies. I thanked him and started to read.

Daily Inquirer:

Minho’s brother spotted in Seoul University

An excellent Student Leader!

 

Dispatch news:

Choi Minho’s Fans prefer Choi Minsuk

 

Entertainment week:

Choi Minho just plainly the face of SHINEE?

 

Star news:

SHINEE can survive with just 4 people, true or not?

 

Showbizzz news:

Rival couples to be replaced?

 

I didn’t notice I wasn’t breathing anymore, no wonder Minho didn’t look happy being at that school.

“Annyeong Kim Hyu Me,” I gasped when I heard that familiar voice. I turned around and hid the newspapers behind my back. “Minsuk oppa! Shall we go outside?” I dropped the newspapers on the ground which was immediately picked by the newspaper boy. I grabbed Minsuk’s arm and pulled him away from the market.

“What was that all about?” He asked in a curious manner.

“Nothing!” I expressed way too hyper to be nothing. “The right question is why you are here?”

He dropped his interest on my weirdness, “I want to invite you back in our school; nothing special, really. Just want to have fun, that’s all.”

It was a weird and sudden invitation. “I’m sorry but I’m working right now and--”

“My classmate will take care of that,” Another tall decent person went right next to him. He took the piece of paper that Chun Yo gave me. “We have asked permission in the restaurant. Shall we?” A black car stopped in front of us.

People are starting to stare and point fingers at us. A little girl passed by and handed each of us a big lollipop. “You look good together, oppa” she added after we said thank you.

I looked away, remembering the newspapers I just read. Minsuk oppa carried the little girl, “I don’t think saying thank you would be right. Say hi to Hyu Me unnie.”

I smiled at her and patted her head. I heard numerous camera clicks from different people around us. “O-oppa, I think we should go now.”

I didn’t have a choice anymore, we went inside the black car and headed to Seoul university. I soon realized I wasn’t the only one invited there.

There are no cameras right now and I’m quite sure Minsuk oppa is a good person. But the more I hang out with him, the more it gets complicated.

I wonder what does Minho feels right now.

---&---

 

“There is really a reason why this guy does not succeed…”

“Minho is a hole!”

“No wonder he was never ranked…”

“Shinee- the four member group!”

Those are the only words that Minho can remember after Shinee guested on the show ‘Weekly Idol Ranking’ last Wednesday. All of those said by the MC were supposed to be jokes but the press took this seriously and most of all, although he hides it, it did root inside Minho what all of them said. I am just a face of Shinee and nothing else, he thought to himself. He was sitting on a bench facing the huge field of Seoul University. “Taemin dances, Onew hyung leads, Jonghyun hyung sings, Key sings and dances. What do I do, I rap? Nah, Key can do that too.”

I am just a face of Shinee and nothing else, He repeated to himself again. I knew it all along. Doni hyung just stated the obvious.

Being compared, being out casted. It has always been like this for him. He’s frown deepens, “Why do I never get used to this?”

“Never get used to what?” He heard a familiar voice saying that.  He bowed his greetings to his hyung who was standing right next to him. “Nothing hyung.” He lied.

“Have you received umma and appa’s phone call?” Minsuk asked.

Minho nodded remembering the last words his umma said on the phone: Be good like your brother okay? Always look up to your brother okay?

Although they are talking to Minho, he can’t help but notice that his parents are still thinking about his older brother. It was always Minsuk hyung, Minho sadly thinks, Minsuk the favorite son, Minsuk the smart one, Minsuk the athletic one, Minsuk the---

“Oppa, sorry I took so long,”

Minsuk, the person Hyu Me prefers…

---&---

 

Minho’s point of view

 

Oppa?

I smirked, she says it so casually to my brother while it still took me to run 200 steps just to make her call me that. When Hyu Me went closer, she finally saw me. Quickly, she avoids my eyes. I shrugged; I guess she really took our last bet seriously.

“What are we doing here?” Hyu Me asked my brother. He smiles at her impatience. “As I said, we’re here to have fun. We’re currently waiting for another person. Oh- here she is,”

Hyu Me and I cocked our heads to see another lady, probably the same age as mine walking towards us. “Oooh, she’s really pretty,” Hyu Me said with a mesmerized voice.

My brother and I reacted at once. Maybe because we are brothers or probably just because Hyu Me can be really stupid at times. For what it’s worth, even if she’s my rival, there’s no denying that she is way beautiful than the girl coming towards us.

She bows at us and introduces herself as Mary. My hyung said we’re playing by two teams and that we should pick a partner. “I pick Minho!” Mary squealed s she grabs my arm.

Hyu Me and hyung looks at each other. My brother gave off that sincere and kind smile. “I’m sorry you’re stuck with me,”

“A-ani!” Hyu Me said as she waves both of her hands. She holds one of hyung’s arms, “I was really going to pick you.”

I breathed deeply, “Excuse me lovey dovies, but can we start now? I’m itching to win already.” I said, glaring at Hyu Me. She smirks like saying…’bring it on’

We played various games as partners such as high jump, badminton, volleyball, etc. Don’t ask if we’re winning because we’re definitely not. It’s not my fault; it’s hard to play on 2 against one. Yup, one, Mary is so busy sticking to me or staring at me that she’s not playing the games anymore.

While on the other side, hyung and Hyu Me, are obviously having fun whether they win or lose. They keep on doing high fives at each other, cheers when one gets a point and teases when one of them misses. They look so happy together.

Damn…

“Waah, oppa! I was hit by a ball” I stopped myself from rolling my eyes when Mary whined. We were playing basketball this time and Hyu Me is showing off her skills again.

I called for a time out, “Can we take a rest?”I noticed Hyu Me making a disappointed duck face. She probably loves basketball that much.

“Then we win,” she declares “’we’re one point above you.”

I sighed, “Tell me your wish then.”

Babo, I forgot Hyu Me and I aren’t supposed to be talking right now. She shakes her head and stays away from me.

We sat outside the field with sweaty faces and heavy breaths. “That was really fun! I never had that much of physical activity for so long!” I heard Hyu Me giggle for the first time as she lies on the grass. Hyung who was sitting beside her, ruffles her hair.

I focused on my bread, making sure I won’t see another sickly moment of them.

 “Oppa, don’t you think Hyu Me is not a good girlfriend” Mary’s surprising question made Hyu Me sit straight again.

“Unnie, how do you become a good girlfriend?” She asks too innocently that the three of us can’t even see any hint that Mary’s question was very insulting for her.

“Hmmm,” Mary looks around the field and pointed at a couple far away. “Couples do things like that Hyu Me”

The couple were leaning on a tree, holding each other’s hand. The girl was smiling as she leans her head on the boys shoulder. “I bet I’ll never be a good girlfriend. I can’t do that to Minho.”

I can’t imagine doing such thing with her.I muttered.

“The two of you don’t look really close” Hyung expressed. “What do you usually do?”

“Argue,” we said in unison.

“That’s the only thing she knows.” I muttered.

“Well that’s because you’re such a hard person to talk to,” she muttered back.

“I’m hard to talk to, or you just really like talking to other guys.” I shot finally meeting her angry eyes.

“If you are referring to your own brother than you are right! I like talking to him. Unlike you, he listens!” She shoots back.

Bam! The comparison hits me hard again. Now I’m really angry. “If you are trying to make me jealous by saying that, then it doesn’t work!”

“I’m not making you jealous dimwit! Who are you that I’d want to make you jealous???” She said with a much louder voice this time.

“Who am I? ARE YOU INSULTING ME WITH THAT?” I stood up in rage. “I’LL SHOW YOU KIM HYU ME! I’LL SHOW YOU! ”

She stands up and went closer to me, “No Choi Minho, I’ll show you who you are! Why you are so hard to talk with! Why you’re brother is easier to talk with” She grabs me and pushed me to the middle of the field. She puts both of her hand near and shouted “KYAAAA! CHOI MINHO OPPA IS HERE.”

All the students who didn’t see me awhile ago turned their heads in my direction they squealed and ran towards me.

“That’s right, you’re SHINEE’s Minho. So now talk to me, see if you can.” She steps back as students grabbed for me, take pictures of me.

My brother is a normal person while I’m an idol; that’s what Hyu Me is trying to tell me. That’s why she prefers my brother. Funny, that’s the main reason why my parents support Minsuk over me.

For the nth time, Kim Hyu Me wins again. This losing should really stop. I should think of a way to be over her. Two days has passed an here I am in our practice room still thinking of a way to beat her. Controversies are slashing my image and comparisons between my brother and I keeps on growing up. I try my best not to get affected and the best way is to just think of beating Hyu Me than anything else.

What would it take to beat her? I look at the posters hanging beside me and found the faces of SNSD. Hmmm, Jessica, tiffany, sooyoung, Seohyun, sunny, Taeyon, Hyoyeon, Yoona, Yuri..."Wait... Yuri, that's it!"

I ran towards the SNSD's practice room at once.

---&---

 

After three days...

"Are you sure this is a good idea Minho?" Yuri anxiously asks me as cameras starts to tape the both of us.

"You'll be fine. I'll make her jealous. I'm beating Kim Hyu Me today," I put Yuri's hand over my arm. The two of us enters the restaurant where Hyu Me works.

"Good evening costu--"

Oh yeah, be shocked Hyu Me... be jealous!

"Please give us a nice table please. My date and I wants to have a nice place." I directed to her with a tone that sounds like a real costumer talking to a waitress.

"Minho?"

My eyes went wide, and my pulse suddenly quickens. It can't be... It can't be...

But it was him... Choi Minsuk is here! He steps beside Hyu Me who is still speechless until now. "Now that the two of you are here, why don't we have a double date instead?"

A double date...

I thought I'd surprise Hyu Me...

 

It turns out it's the other way around...

 

 

 

End! Such a long chappie...those six things are very important... You shall know their use as th story goes on...

Class starts and so maybe It'll take a long time to update..

I think I'm not doing good in my story...T.T any advice?

 

 

-I'd like to thank the new subscriber, Samina...who made me happy :)

-and for unnie's comment

 

Once again, I hope another person would subscribe...please!... I'll be shamelessly begging til my birthday comes..so endure me for now.. :)

 

-Annyeong!