Empty Desk

ToHave & ToHold
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

Silence means something...

--------------------------------------

 

 

The night is coming to an end. All the guests were much surprise to see a young couple up on stage singing for them but it would’ve been better if one of the singers didn’t mess up. Making it more memorable was when Mrs. Im came to stage after the duet and had made all the guest agape by her announcement.

 

“Gentlemen, ladies… I know that it’s a surprise that for the first time. My son sang live not alone… “ Mrs. Im started.

 

Clueless couple, Seohyun and Yoong were having nothing in mind to whatever is in Mrs. Im’s mind. They can only smile to the audience as they are waiting for Mrs. Im to continue.

 

“Well, I was more than happy… because… “ Mrs. Im paused. “Finally, my son has someone he can have his time except for his books.”

 

It creates laughter in the audience once the single mother has announces an indirect announcement them.

 

Mrs. Im steps back and grabs the youngest female balladeer’s hand. She smiled to her before she continues… “I’m happy to announce that… Miss Seo Joohyun, is the lucky girl who give my son’s attention to.”

 

The guest was surprised. Some other relatives of Im family were whispering to each other while others were having a suspicious stare towards the young brunette. The girl who mess up over her duet with the famous balladeer of Dunggok is his special someone? That is quite surprising for them. Murmurs started as they stared in disbelief to the young brunette on stage.

 

It never misses the young couple. Seohyun slightly smile to her boyfriend upon seeing the reactions from them. It feels so uncomfortable that she wanted to go out from these judging eyes she is experiencing. Her hold in Yoong’s suit were somewhat shaking as she look down.

 

“Mom, I think we should go.” Having been noticing his girlfriend’s uncomfortable experience, Yoong decided to excuse his girlfriend. He his self isn’t uncomfortable anymore. Mrs. Im granted them as they cautiously left the stage, still having the murmurs in their ears.

 

“Uh, I think we should resume the party!” came Mrs. Im’s voice, echoing the entire place.

 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Backstage, the couple greeted the tan guy with a poker face. Tired can only the word describes from their expressions.

 

“It’s okay Yoong, Hyunnie.” The tan guy said, patting both their shoulders. “And Hyunnie, you did a great job on stage. Don’t bother it anymore” he added, trying to lift up the atmospher between them.

 

The younger girl was about to speak when her phone rang. She immediately took it in his table and found out who’s been calling. It made her rolled her eyes for forgetting it.

 

“Hyun? Was that Yonghwa-ssi?” asked the doe-eyed guy, approaching the younger girl.

 

Seohyun turned and raises both of her shoulders. “It is.” She mutter.

 

“So you guys still going?” Yul asked, after realizing that it would be much exhaust for the two to go out again.

 

“I’ll handle it Yoong, I think it’s better for you to stay over. Besides… “

 

“Hyunnie… I was about to decline but I guess you will be going, so I guess I will be coming then… besides… I have nothing to do here anymore.” Quickly, the doe-eyed guy interrupted his girlfriend’s words.

 

Seohyun sighed in defeat. She has no appetite now to argue with his boyfriend’s stubbornness after the embarrassing moment she had earlier.

 

“Okay, since Yoong… you still doesn’t know how to drive. I’ll just drive you guys.” The tan guy suggested.

 

The couple could only thank their friend as they left the place peacefully.

 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Yawn~

 

Taeyeon widened her arms to yawn. It’s almost 7 now and she’s on the way home, walking alone. Her hands were in her pocket in her jacket as she brings it closely to her body. The night was surprisingly so cold for her. 

 

She took a deep breath and look up to the night sky. Her mind suddenly diverted to her girlfriend right when she stares at the stars.

 

Another deep breath, she was walking slower already.

 

“Fany… how can I fight for this? I still don’t know how to. Our debts are far from being fixed. Our house, it still there. Hyunnie, is having problems with her tuition fee.” She mutters. Her sister’s tuition is still a secret for her and Yunho. Their parents called them not long ago about coming back to Seoul and it seems, her parents won’t have nothing to give once they got back.

 

Suddenly, her phone rang as she took it immediately.

 

“Hello?”

 

[Taeyeon-ah? Oh Gosh. Thank God I got to contact you.]

 

“Umma… “ Taeyeon answered in such a low voice.

 

[Just calling if your sister knows about her tuition fee already?]

 

Taeyeon again sighed as she answers… “Not yet umma… and I don’t think it’s necessary. I’ll handle her tuition fee from now on.”

 

[Taeyeon… you know it’ll be hard. Her tuition fee is our month of supplies. It’s better if we’ll make her stop]

 

“Umma, you don’t know how exactly she is studying so hard right now. You can’t just stop her like that. Believe me, I can handle this. Hyunnie should go on.” Taeyeon argued.

 

[No, I won’t let you work as hell like this Taeyeon… you even broke up with Fany just to focus on her tuition. Focus on your usual work. don’t force yourself to the limit.]

 

“Umma, Fany wasn’t involved in this. It’s my decision to broke up with her… there’s no more than that. In this situation, I don’t think it’s still better for me to brag her in my own problems. This is only mine and Yunho Oppa.”

 

There was a sigh in the other line before Mrs. Seo answers.

 

[I understand. Just want to make sure that you are happy doing this. Are you?]

 

Taeyeon conplamated to answer. Is she really happy doing the work for her sister? Yes, she is happy doing it. However, there was still a part of her that is not happy… her heart.

 

“I am Umma… I am, for our future nurse.” She said with a proud smile to herself.

 

[I’m glad to hear that. By the way, before anything else. I and your appa are coming back the next weekend. So… It’s not only you now who’ll be working hard for our future nurse.]

 

“Umma… I’m happy to hear that… I’ve been missing you guys.”

 

[We are too Taeyeon. You, Yunho and maknae. We miss you guys.]

 

Taeyeon smile slightly. It has been a month now since their parents left to work and will coming back with only a scent in their pocket. It’s hard to believe, but she needs to be strong. It isn’t hard for her to break up with her girlfriend, how much more in this time of their lives.

 

“I can’t wait for your arrival umma… for sure, Maknae will be happy with this good news.” she said.

 

[I know. That’s why we are now coming back before she know it.]

 

Taeyeon chuckles heartedly. “Yeah, so guess… we'll surprise her?” she asked in confirmation.

 

[Like as always?]

 

Taeyeon stops on her tracks and look up into the sky once again. “Like as always.” She said as the night sky is giving her a cold sensation. Even for the hard times, she can still see the happiness in their family. As long as they have each other, They’ll survive whatever it is.

 

It took another 15 minutes for Taeyeon and her umma to end the call. Since then, she was now at ease with the coming days ahead. It took time for her to realize that she’s not alone. That she still has her parents. And will carry whatever the circumstances.

 

Their future nurse will graduate, they’ll assure on that.

 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

After the call, she resumes on walking until she was already sightseeing their small apartment. As she glances to the light source of their apartment inside, her eyes stop into a figure standing in front of their apartment. Her smiles all the way home vanishes when she got a closer look.

 

“Fa-Fany?” she called.

 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

The tan guy’s car parked in front of a house no. 1345. As what the younger girl told them, that house was her child hood friend’s house no.

 

The three step outside after having seen the house number and the couple waves goodbye to the tan guy before they rang the bell.

 

While waiting for the owner of the house to come out, the doe-eyed guy can’t help but to feel sorry about what happened in the orphanage.

 

“Hyunnie… I’m sorry with what happened earlier.” Yoong said, carefully making it sure that it won’t be a sensitive topic to begin with.

 

Seohyun turned and give her boyfriend a gentle smile. “It’s nothing. Don’t bother it anymore. We can’t please everybody.” She said.

 

The doe-eyed guy smiled a little. He took the younger girl’s two hands and give it a squeeze. “I promise… there will no more messing up in the future.”

 

“No Yoong… we can’t tell what’s ahead on us. Just… stay as… like we always wanted. In other words, Just let what is destined ahead on us.” the younger girl said, giving back the warm hands that the doe-eyed guy is giving her.

 

The event earlier wasn’t that bad to be example with, instead, they treat is as a reminder for their upcoming competition. It will be the biggest and both of them should be understandable on what’s going to happen in Rome in the coming days. It will be difficult for their part since they’ll compete not only in group but as partner for another duet.

How many days left? 2 days, before they fly to Rome.

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

A creak sound from behind was heard, the couple broke their stare from each other to see who opened the door for them.

 

“Yonghwa-ssi!” calls the doe-eyed guy as he waves his hand.

 

The toothy guy seems surprised and approaches them with a glare. He took a glance to the younger girl before turning to the doe-eyed guy.

 

“Uh… I’m sorry… Yonghwa… I-I… know it’s surprising but, Yoong actually wanted to-to… help us. I hope you don’t mind.” Seohyun immediately explains, seeing Yonghwa’s reaction to them. "It'll be great actually."

 

Instead of another strike words from the guy, Seohyun was surprised to see Yonghwa opening the gate for them and let them in.

 

They entered the house and was met by a wide living room. The younger girl was uncomfortable how luxurious was the house. Outside, they can only see a formal front yard and a garage, but when they step inside, all the things were sparkling like stars to her eyes.

 

Yoong on the other hand just take a mental note: This guy isn’t just a cocky guy.

 

Though use to luxury things, he can’t help but notice the cockiness that the guy is showing. Yonghwa even told them about how he is leaving alone and that all the things they’re seeing were half from his hard work while he studied. Who cares right? but for instance, the doe-eyed guy was feeling challenge after hearing it. He's still just a student for crying out loud.

 

Yonghwa left them for a while and went back to show some of his books. They settled down in a coffee table and like some prince, Yonghwa call for his maid to make them some snacks.

 

“So, shall we start?” Yonghwa quickly announces before ordering her maids for their snack.

 

Seohyun immediately started as she scooted closer to the toothy guy in his side while Yoong was across them, opened his book too for some supporting tutors that his girlfriend is giving to Yonghwa.

 

-------------------------------

 

“Like what we did in that number… in order to get the answer… you have to consider this right side too… got it?” Seohyun said, looking up to Yonghwa while pointing to his book.

 

The older guy nods. He took a pen and made some notes on the book as the younger girl look at him with beam. Yonghwa is quite okay in her eyes now. Much more like it, Yonghwa is behaving in front of her boyfriend. Seohyun was relief to see this and was now available for more questions coming from her student.

 

“Okay… that’s pretty easy now. I think I’ll use this technique.” Suddenly, Yonghwa smiled at her sweetly making the doe-eyed guy look at them after hearing it.

 

The younger girl responded with nods. “That’s right. You just have to make sure that you will not going to forget them, okay?”

 

Yonghwa beams. “I won’t, I promise… “

 

As if it was meant for the doe-eyed guy to be jealous, Yoong immediately snap Yonghwa’s hand away over his girlfriend’s hand.

 

“Hmm? What’s your problem?” asked Yonghwa once he got snaps away. Seohyun stared in puzzle to the doe-eyed guy.

 

“N-nothing… I thought some mosquitoes landed in your hand. Uh, so I killed it. hehe” Yoong eventually grins but took a glare to his girlfriend.

 

Seohyun silently chuckles upon seeing the glare.

 

“I see… but it was hard, huh? I thought you were really mad.” Yonghwa said.

 

Holding her fist underneath the coffee table, Yoong clenches more tightly once he saw those grins from Yonghwa.

 

“Uh… let’s resume?” the younger girl quickly interrupted the both of them which made Yonghwa nodded enthusiastically.

 

Resuming, Yonghwa pulled the book that was in the doe-eyed guy’s elbow abruptly, before handing it to the younger. Seohyun took the book and resumes toturing the older guy.

Upon seeing the two resumes, Yoong also resumes on supporting every details that his girlfriend is giving to Yonghwa. The guy would constantly nods in understanding to the both of them as they come a long way.

 

--------------------------------------------------------

 

40 minutes passed…

 

More difficult topics, more headaches for Yonghwa. But for the couple, it’s still the easiest.

 

Yonghwa release a groans of frustration after he done a lot of mistakes in the couple’s problem solving for him. It would’ve been better if he’s as clever as the couple, but he thinks he’s cleverer on providing the doe-eyed guy a lot of frustrations as well in his every attempt on touching the younger girl’s hand.

 

“Aish! I hate this. You two solve this one.” He gives up as he put his two hands up.

 

“Yonghwa… ssi… it’s still the easiest, how can you give up?” Yoong smirk, jumping in joy inside that he wins in terms of mind.

 

But who doesn’t want to lose?

 

“I am not giving up you know.” Yonghwa replied quickly as he look at the younger girl beside him with a wink. As if telling the younger that he’s not giving up on her.

 

The doe

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter