Chapter 2: FLASHBACK 2

Hello to Myself

 

The sound of something woke you up, groggily; you tried to open your eyes. It was the sight of sleeping Zico that welcomed you. His head, facing you was the first scenery you saw. You then realized that his school uniform is already on top of you and served as your blanket. Your head is rested on his lap with one of his hands on your forehead on the other on top of yours. Immediately you blushed after remembering everything that happened.

 

          "Ahihihihi~" was the sound of giggle that you produced. It woke Zico up and he immediately smiled at you as he slowly opened his eyes.

 

          "Sorry I woke you up." You immediately said and reached out for his cheeks.

 

          "Nah, it's okay. I'm fine." Zico said and stretched out his arms as he yawned.

 

It was only the moonlight's rays that served as a light in the dark room. You both stayed put in your position, you resting your head on his lap and him sitting quietly as he stares at the moon outside. An awkward moment of silence filled the whole room and only the sound of his MP3 player was heard.

 

 

 

          “What’s that?” You asked him you looked at the thing that was creating noise in his hand. He followed the direction of your gaze and his mouth made an “o” shape and smiled.

 

 

 

          “This is the song I’m working on right now.” He said and turned the volume louder.

 

 

 

          “If only you used your brain for studying.” You retorted and sighed. You chuckled as you saw his bashful face reddened as he pouted at you.

 

 

 

          “I’m studying you know!” He retorted and he stopped laughing as he began ruffling your hair and smiled lovingly at you but turned to looked at your long hair that he spread on the ground.

 

 

 

          “... It just that I found something that I really want to pursue and I have to thank YOU for helping me find it.” Zico added and caressed your cheeks as you pouted at him. He just smiled and somehow he resembled the Hello Kitty that he loves the most.

 

 

 

          “A man shines the brightest when he is in his own world.  Rapping and music is the world that belongs to you... I guess I am not included in it.” You replied and mumbled the last sentence not loud enough for him to hear as you forced a smile on your face.

 

 

 

          “My own world?” He asked and laughed.

 

 

 

          It actually became a brighter after I met you. How can I like someone who doesn’t appreciate Kitty’s meaning in my life? He smiled thought but then cringed at the thought.

 

 

 

          “What will happen to the Kitties that you have in your room? I’m sure they’ll be lonely so don’t leave and stay here.” You said as you reached for his cheeks and pinched them.

 

 

 

          “Ouch! Don’t touch the cheeks no wonder they get too bloated.” Zico stated and tried biting your hand. You just laughed as he chased your hands in the air.

 

 

 

          “As much as it breaks my heart to leave them I already shipped them to someone who I know will take care of them.” Zico said and you noticed that a tear actually dropped from his eyes to your face.

 

 

         

          “I’m sure they will understand.” You tried to assure him that he is going to be alright even without the KITTIES. You didn’t understand why he really loved them though.

 

 

 

          “It actually breaks my heart so I decided to bring a single kitty with me there. She’ll be my companion and my friend as I return there.” Zico stated and made you sit up. He felt that his lap became numbed by your weight.

 

 

          What am I doing? Am I getting stupid? Why am I getting jealous over that Kitty?! At least, she had a place in his heart. What about me?  You thought and sat facing the wall in front of you.

 

 

 

          “You should stop eating too much. You might not find someone to date if your weight kept increasing! I’m worried for you.” He said as he went to the picnic basket and took something to drink.

 

 

 

          “Oh please~~ don’t speak as if you’re the most perfect handsome guy in the world.” You replied still facing the wall as you dropped your head lower trying to suppress the sobs that you were producing.

 

 

 

          “Let’s eat something great tomorrow.” He said as he took one of your sandwiches and began eating again.

 

 

 

You just cried silently with him and waited for the morning to come.

 

 

 

A FEW DAYS LATER ...

 

 

          “DASOM~~!” One of your “Friends” squealed as she goes around the practice rooms screaming looking for you. You were practicing the piano because you were chosen by the teachers to present something as your final performance for your graduation. Being the top music student and academic student they were expecting you to make their school be popular to the people as well. They forced you to practice something that will help them boast about their school quality which is something that you really hated.

 

 

 

          “What’s going on?” You asked trying to pretend that she is not irritating you. She was panting as she gasps for air and you waited for her to calm down.

 

 

 

          “ZICO is already leaving today. He is at the school gates saying good bye to his friends but he didn’t want you to know---.“ You were unable to hear the rest of it when you dashed outside and went to the school gate.

 

 

 

Everyone looked at you and pointed the black car where Zico was. They all know that he was the only real friend that you had in your school. You breathe heavily and started chasing the car as they all watched you.

 

 

 

          “ZICO~~ STOP THAT FREAKIN’ CAR OR ELSE I’LL F---IN’ BURN ALL YOUR KITTIES TO DEATH UNTIL THEY BECOME ASHES AND FEED THEM TO SHARKS AND WHALES AND EVEN TO REAL KITTIES!” You screamed at the top of your lungs but that didn’t stop the car.

 

 

 

ZICO looked back when he felt as if someone called him. He couldn’t help but cry as he imagined your crying face when you realize that he left already.

 

 

 

Dasomiee~~ I’m sorry for being a coward and not being able to tell you good bye. I can’t let you see me like this. I want to leave you with an image of me with a smiling bright face. Jiho thought and took out the only Kitty that he brought. He hugged it tight and buried his face on it as he silently cried on his way to the airport.

 

 

 

You finally got tired from running and dropped on the streets. You just fainted from exhaustion and the stress that you were enduring lately. Everything was in it, your stress from your parents, your anxiety because of your want to go to Korea, Zico is leaving you, stress from your performance, the loneliness with the thought of being alone and the physical stress from both school works and insomnia that you got from thinking about things so much.

 

 

         

You can’t even say good bye to me you Idiot. I can’t believe that I am being like this over an idiot who knows nothing but worship those stupid Hello Kitties.You thought as you suddenly lost your consciousness.

           

 

 

After you woke up you were surprised to see that you were already inside your big shallow room. It had everything you wanted materialistically but yet it still felt as if it was the coldest place in the world. A big box in front of your bed caught your attention so you crept towards it.

 

 

 

With the minimal strength that you had you tried your best to open it with all of your might. Tears came rushing from your eyes again when you saw a familiar face inside of it. As soon as your lifted the lid of the box, Hello Kitties of different sizes flooded out of the box. They were squished inside the box but they were placed neatly inside, it just that the box is too small for the number of Hello Kitties which were secured inside the box.

 

 

 

Along with the Hello Kitties that went out of the box, a Rilakkuma stationary caught your attention. You opened it and realized that it was a letter meant for you.

 

 

 

Dasom,

            By the time you are reading this letter you probably hate me so much right now. I can’t and wouldn’t blame if ever you do. I feel forever indebted to you when you saved me that day. I wouldn’t be here if it weren’t for you. So let me take this opportunity to say thank you. Chinggu kamsamnida. TT___TT

 

            You saved me... you found me and picked me up. I was lifeless as a drift wood when you rescued me from those bullies that day. I already have thoughts of ending my life that day but because of you I actually looked forward to waking up to another day which then turned into years but the fact remained, still I am so lonely.

 

            You inspired me to make use of that “loneliness” into “raps” which helped me find my world. Like you said, “A world that belonged to ZICO” is something I found through rapping and writing lyrics.

 

            Anyways, even though I know that you HATE/ appreciate Hello Kitty in a DIFFERENT WAY from me I decided that it’s best for me to leave them all to you. I took the most special Hello Kitty I ever had though. I hope you don’t mind. Someday I hope you will see them as lovely kitties already.

 

            If ever our paths will cross again someday, I hope you’ll call me by my real name already.

 

                                                                                                Your Jamaican Beggar,

                                                                                                            Zico

 

 

You cried and hugged his letter after you read it. This time it really slapped you the reality that he is already gone. He left you already and went to Korea, a place which seemed unreachable for you right now. You scanned all of the Hello Kitty that were inside the box but didn’t find the one you were looking for.

 

 

          I will forever hate hello kitty you Pabo! At least it was her ... the one you took ...You thought as you didn’t find this one Hello Kitty that you were looking for.

 

 

          Then devastating news came for you. It was something that you didn’t expect. Your father came to your room and hugged you as cried while telling you what happened. You wished that your world ended as well that day.