A Mind of a Child

About Love & Light
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

That night, I walk down the stairs just to be greeted by Nini's silhouette. She was looking at the maids who were preparing dinner. Her face was quite serious. I was a bit scared to approach her.

 

'Make sure no cucumbers are in any dishes. Hyun cannot eat cucumber.'

 

'Please put more water in here. Hyun drinks a lot while eating.' 

 

'Look if the food is warm enough. For the cold one please reheat it. Hyun needs warm foods.'

 

I was amazed. This old lady knows everything about Baekhyun. Everyone was following her orders and I caught something on her. The old lady was smiling. It was pretty. Baekhyun's grandmother has the most smile as the smile is similar to Baekhyun's. They make this cute rectangle shape while laughing or smiling. 

 

"What are you doing there?" 

 

I was startled by her voice. The old lady is now looking at me as I bite my lower lips and try to pose innocently as if I was caught in the limelight. She was having her arms crossed. I slowly walk to her and bow. 

 

"Good evening, Nini." 

 

"It's Halmeoni for you. Only the family of Byun can call me that." 

 

"I see." 

 

I look down. What are you thinking Nayeon? You are no one to her or even to Baekhyun right now. You are just their guest. The old lady then looks at me before she smirks. Isn't that also the one Baekhyun possessed? They smirk once they have an evil idea. Her voice comes out as if pretending to be fussy. 

 

"Nayeon isn't it, your name?"

 

I nod before suddenly an apron was shoved to me. I was blinking my eyes in confusion. The old lady once again speaks up.

 

"Make a dessert for the dinner. The one I can approve you as my daughter-in-law." 

 

My eyes went wide. Her looks seem like she is not joking. I was smiling awkwardly as I looks at her. Trying to muster up my courage.

 

"Of course, I can. Ni- Halmeoni! I will make one so you can never forget me!" 

 

"Good. Now go." 

 

Her eyes were shooing me to the kitchen as the maids suddenly went out from there too. Oh my dear god. Please don't let me burn the kitchen. I hope my prayers will be granted because damn Kim Nayeon never stepped in the kitchen. 

 

 

 

"Damn. What with this smell- " 

 

Baekhyun walks into the kitchen just to be greeted by Nayeon's face. He was almost startled by her appearance from behind the fridge. Her face was full of white flour and her hair was also covered in white. The oven was almost smoke and Baekhyun's eyes turned wide as he saw the ingredients are everywhere. Nayeon pout. Baekhyun almost laugh but he did manage to hold in his laughter. Nayeon looks at him defeated.

 

"Just laugh, Baek. I failed to make the dessert-like what halmeoni wants." 

 

Nayeon sounds sulky. She then sits on the floor. Baekhyun looks at her as he has his eyebrows raised. Nini is letting someone enter her kitchen? And out of that many people is Kim Nayeon? He wonders what the old lady plan for his wife-to-be. He squats down. Baekhyun then looks at Nayeon who had her head down. She was feeling dejected. Baekhyun touches her cheeks as she makes a pout. Her cheeks went puffy. Baekhyun laugh so does Nayeon afterward. 

 

"What you even trying to do, Na? You never even touch a pan."

 

"Halmeoni asks me to make you a dessert." 

 

"Dessert huh? Didn't you have one?"

 

He asks and Nayeon had her forehead wrinkled. Baekhyun pinches her cheeks and once again becomes puffy. Nayeon was looking at Baekhyun confused. He then stands up and goes to the fridge. He takes out the small box that was there since he and Nayeon arrived. Nayeon was watching what Baekhyun do. He looks at her. His voice out come out as it means to comfort her. 

 

"This will help you out, Na."

 

"A box?"

 

"Magic one." He winks and Nayeon chuckles however she just trusts Baekhyun's words. He had his other hand extended to her and helps her stand up. 

 

"Baek."

 

"Yes?" 

 

"I am sorry, I can't be the perfect wife-to-be for you. I can't even make a simple dessert for people." 

 

Nayeon said. It was one of her insecurities. Does she prepared to marry Baekhyun? She can't even make the simplest chores at home. Baekhyun however looks at her weirdly. She slightly poked him as he playfully pretend to be hurt. Nayeon laugh. Baekhyun had always had his ways to make her happy again. 

 

"Na... I am looking for someone to be by my side. Not a walking rice cooker. We can always order out after marriage. No one going to die if we do that."

 

"Gosh. For once... you are a genius, Baek." Nayeon teases and Baekhyun just smiles.

 

"Your husband-to-be is always a genius." 

 

 

 

The dinner went smoothly as Baekhyun enjoyed the food there so does Nayeon. Baekhyun's grandmother is a good chef. Most of the dishes have almost finished. Right now it has come to the time when dessert should have been presented. Nini had her forehead wrinkled after seeing the dessert preparation that she ordered Nayeon to make. Nayeon put the box in front of her. 

 

"Where is the dessert?" 

 

"It is inside the box, halmeoni," Nayeon said while trying to stay calm. Baekhyun is watching from across the dining table. He secretly sends Nayeon a wink and Nayeon just smiles as if to acknowledge his encouragement. The older lady however was displeased. 

 

"You should put it on a plate so all of us can eat it better." 

 

"Nini... just eat like how it's been prepared."

 

Baekhyun said before the old lady send a glare to him. Baekhyun didn't mind but just smile. Nayeon on the other side was nervous. What did she prepare for them? Baekhyun's grandmother then opens the box before it had her silence for a few seconds. Nayeon becomes even more nervous. What is in that box? 

 

"Is.. there something wrong, halmeoni?" Nayeon asked out of curiosity since the older looks in dazed as if something just hits her memories. 

 

"Strawberry... from Highland shop." 

 

She mumbles. Nayeon just remembers that she bring the strawberries before she caught Baekhyun's smirk. The gift that she brought for Baekhyun's grandmother. How did she forget she brings it for her? 

 

"Nayeon thought it would be a good gift since we are in a mountain area. She also suggested that should we eat with ice cream?" 

 

Nayeon looks at Baekhyun as he smoothly suggests their dessert. Baekhyun's grandmother looks at him and nods. A smile formed on her face. The one that Nayeon saw earlier. The maids quickly take the ice cream (Nayeon doesn't know when Baekhyun went out and buy a few tubs of it) to the dining table. Nayeon then sits down in her seat as the ice cream with the strawberries on top was served. Baekhyun's grandmother closes her eyes as she savors the taste. Nayeon was feeling content seeing the older enjoying her small gift. Baekhyun's grandmother then looks at her.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter