Unveiling the Pretense

About Love & Light
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I was looking at the crowd that was filling my sight. The hall was noisy with people who had been invited to the classy night organized by Byun Logistics. Baekhyun had invited me to one of the important occasions of his company and here I am supporting him in his corporate world as I accept his invitation. I wear a dark grey dress to match Baekhyun's clothes as the boy was choosing the dress for me before. A sudden flashback of what happened a good three days ago come into my mind. It was when Baekhyun talks about the Gala dinner to me before tonight happened. 

 

 

 

"Try this one, Na." 


 
Baekhyun looks serious as he gives me the dress. We have been in the boutique for some time now. He has come to visit after his work hour. I look at him curiously. Baekhyun had changed after my visit to his office. He spends more time with me and would casually talk about his works with me despite I don't understand so much but I feel involved in his works. I stare at the clothes before looking at him. He was looking at another dress with so many curious looks. I hold in my giggles. It is kinda weird to see him in that state. I hold his hands as he turns his head. His face was blank. I finally burst out laughing. Baekhyun was puzzled.


"What is it, Na?"

 
 
"You look funny." 


 
He pretends to roll his eyes before he walks closer and sits beside me. His face looks concerned. I was curious. Baekhyun is now good at showing his emotions. He would smile prettily when he is playful, he would frown when something not going his way and he would look serious when something is playing around in his mind. I decided to ask the reason for the latter. 


 
"What's with the dress for me, Baek? Is there something going on?" 


 
Baekhyun turns his head as he had his hands put my hair away. He holds my face softly. I look at him. He was silent for a while before he speaks again. 


 
"I... think it's time for us to announce officially that you are my wife now." 


 
I had myself frowning. My marriage to Baekhyun was public since the beginning. Everyone around us knows that we are married so what does he mean? Baekhyun is now giggling. I look at him with curious eyes. 

 
"You haven't been seen with me in public, especially by my business friends and partners. There are noisy sounds about us having a fight and even going to divorce."

 

He said. He realized that people at his workplace somehow didn't recognize me well thanks to Minseok who point it out to him before. He heard how I was treated by the receptionist and feel that he should do something. Baekhyun then looks at me before speaking again.


"I am not going to let it slide of course so this dinner would be perfect to kick some about us right?" 
 
I chuckle as I hold his hands. I look at him.
 
"Let's do it then. Let's slap some faces too." 
 
He just laughed it out as I smiles. My heart however feels nervous. How many people hated my and Baekhyun's relationship? I look at Baekhyun as he then holds my hands always giving out encouragement to me. 

 

 

 

Claps suddenly heard as I saw Baekhyun walking down the stairs from the left side of the hall. He was wearing a black suit with a dark grey shirt underneath. His bangs were parted into two yet his brownish color was still highlighting his handsome face. I smile as I saw my husband coming out. His face looks cold yet charismatic. I once again saw another side of Baekhyun tonight. He takes the mic as his eyes was looking to the crowd. His voice sounds confident. 
 
"Good evening everyone, I am Byun Baekhyun the director of Byun Logistics. Welcome to our annual Gala Dinner." 
 
Once again claps went around as Baekhyun put a small smile out. His eyes then look at me as he walks in my direction. My eyes were looking at him as we ignored other people. Baekhyun had always told me to look at him only when I am nervous and believe it or not, his words had become my way to stay calm. He then takes my hands as soon as he reaches me. His voice comes out again.
 
"I would like to take this opportunity to introduce my beautiful wife, Nayeon. She's been a great support to me in my personal and professional life. Without her, I wouldn't be where I am today."
 
I felt my cheeks turn red as all eyes turned toward me once again. Baekhyun walked towards me and took my hand, leading me toward the stage.
 
"Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you, Mrs. Byun Nayeon."
 
The crowd cheered as Baekhyun side hug me tighter. I couldn't help but feel overwhelmed with emotions. Baekhyun looks at me dearly at that time as my nervous feeling vanished from my chest.

 

 

 

"Mrs. Byun, you look better in person. What a special occasion to see you," 

 
A lady was smiling at me as we chat near the table. I nod as I feel nervous. This is one of the ways to communicate with Baekhyun's business friends. I should leave a good impression on them. 
 
"The heir of Byun company, the one and only Byun Baekhyun getting married. Such a suspicious marriage I guess?" 
 
Someone from behind us walks towards us. It was a guy. He was wearing a black suit like Baekhyun and his hair was slacked back. He looks stunning as his fair skin along with his visible dimple appears. Mrs. Ahn was surprised to see him and to hear him. She was looking at him. Mrs Ahn come out a bit shocked yet try to make the boy stop talking like that as his eyes were looking at me. It was curiosity around his eyes yet there was guard in it. Who is he? 
 
"Mr. Zhang. It is their business that we shouldn't middle in."
 
"Mrs. Ahn, I am sure you are as curious as me when she steps in. Let's not pretend." 
 
Gosh is this what Baekhyun said as noisy sounds back then? These people are such a busy body over other matters. I remain calm as I smile.
 
"I am aware of the curiosity. Tonight is the start for me to appear even more along with Baekhyun." 
 
He was smirking as if mocking my words. He even looks at me sharply. What's wrong with him? Oh, the annoyance that coming. The lady who was called Mrs. Ahn just in silence doesn't know what to say.
 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter