Chapter - 23

Come Back To Us
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It was Saturday evening, and Ken convinced Eunji to go to the Han River so that Jong Soo could spend some good time playing outside. After that kidnapping incident, Eunji hesitated to take Jong Soo outside but Ken carefully convinced her and took them to Han River that evening. Ken and Jong Soo were playing football in the park while Eunji was arranging the homemade snacks which she brought for them.

"Aigo…I’m tired” Ken sat on the mat where Eunji was arranging the snacks and grabbed his water bottle.

 

“Yah…you are here, where is Jong Soo?” Eunji asked in a worried tone and looked around.

 

“He got a new playmate so I came here,” Ken said after he drank water.

 

“Playmate? Who?” Eunji said and looked around again.

 

“There he is” Ken pointed at Jong Soo who was now playing with a girl of his age.

 

“He is alone” Eunji was about to get up.

 

“Sit down, Eunji” Ken pulled her back, “Let them play together,” he said and looked at Jong Soo who was playing with that small girl.

 

“Aigo…he is cute…teaching her how to play football…” Ken said as he looked at Jong Soo but turned to Eunji when she didn't reply to him. “Yah…Eunji” he poked her shoulder. Eunji looked at him with a slight pout face, “Wae?” he asked with his eyebrows furrowed.

 

“I never saw him smiling like this…shy smile,” she said in a low voice pointing at Jong Soo.

 

“That means he likes her,” Ken said nonchalantly.

 

“Like her!” Eunji asked in a louder voice.

 

“Dae...he likes her...aren't they cute?” Ken asked and smirked at her.

 

Eunji looked at the small girl and Jong Soo playing, “Aniyo, not cute” she said in a loud voice with a pout face.

 

“Yah Eunji...” Eunji turned to Ken, “Aren't they cute? Wait...Are you jealous of a small girl?” He asked and started laughing. Eunji didn't reply and turned to Jong Soo who was happily playing with that girl.

 

“Aigo she fell down...” Eunji quickly responded when they saw that girl fell down while kicking the football.

 

“Sit down...” Ken grabbed Eunji again before she could stand up, “Let’s see what he does” Ken put her hands around her shoulder to stop her from getting up again.

 

Jong Soo helped that girl to get up and tried to clean up the stain in her dress with the hem of his shirt sleeve. He got a shy smile again on his face when the girl thanked him.

 

“Give him a handkerchief next time, Eunji,” Ken said when they saw Jong Soo cleaning with his shirt sleeve. Eunji gave a sharp stare at him and again turned to see Jong Soo. For a few minutes, Jong Soo and that girl were playing together; Eunji looked at Jong Soo with a slight pout face while Ken was telling compliments about Jong Soo’s every move, ‘He does good', ‘He behaves like a man', ‘They look good , ‘He gets shy'. Ken tells all these to tease Eunji; it was fun for him to see Eunji with a pout face.

 

“Yah...come” Ken stood up when that girl's parents came there to pick up the girl, “Let's meet her parents” Ken stood up.

 

Eunji shook her head; “I'm not coming” she said and turned away.

 

“Yah...we should meet her parents”

 

“Wae? To talk about marriage” she asked in upset.

 

Ken got a smile, “If possible let's talk about that too” he said suppressing his laugh. Eunji gave a sharp stare and turned away but Ken pulled her forcefully and went to talk with that girl's parents.

 

“Eomma, she is Lee Heejin” Jong Soo gave that girl an intro to Eunji for which Ken got to suppress his loud laugh. Eunji gave a sharp stare at Ken when he and Jong Soo smirked at each other.

 

Ken had a good conversation with Lee Heejin’s parents while Eunji remained silent and Ken told them that Eunji is an introverted person.

 

“When will you come here next, Jong Soo-ah?” Lee Heejin asked Jong Soo; he looked at Ken for the answer.

 

“Every Saturday evening, we will come here” Ken replied, for which Jong Soo got a wide smile. Eunji pinched his waist for his answer but Ken ignored her, “Next week we will come here again, right Eunji?” Ken asked loudly to .

 

“We will see about that, now let’s go home,” Eunji said and greeted Lee Heejin's parents and walked back. Ken and Eunji saw Jong Soo and Lee Heejin waving and smiling at each other till they disappeared from each other. Jong Soo got a shy smile when Ken smirked at him; Eunji quickly put all things into the basket all at once and rushed them to go home.

 

“Jong Soo-ah” Ken looked at Jong Soo through the rearview mirror, “Was it fun today?” He asked and looked at Eunji who gave a sharp stare at him.

 

“Dae...it was fun,” Jong Soo said in an excited tone. Eunji didn't react to his reply. “Appa, are we really coming again next Saturday?” Jong Soo asked Ken.

 

“Dae” Ken nodded at him through the rearview mirror.

 

“No!” Eunji said and looked at them. “Aegi, next week let's go to some other park. Eomma will take you to a big park” Eunji said and acted excited.

 

“Yah...where is the big park other than this park near Han River?” Ken asked Eunji to . Eunji gave a sharp look, “I don't know any other big park than this one” he said suppressing his laugh.

 

“There are many…” Eunji said with her eyebrows furrowed and turned to Jong Soo with a smile, “Eomma will take you to other big parks” she said with an excited tone. But Jong Soo was not excited about her words, “Okay” he said in a pout face and turned to the window to look outside. Eunji can clearly understand that he was not excited to go to another park and she got a pout face when Ken was suppressing his laugh as he looked at her face. Eunji felt like she lost the number one place in Jong Soo’s heart after he got close to Ken and now it is Lee Heejin pushing her back.

 

“Jong Soo-ah” Ken called Jong Soo, “Do you like playing with Lee Heejin?” he asked. Jong Soo got back his shy smile on his face while Ken shrugged his shoulders to tell Eunji to understand what makes Jong Soo excited and happy now.

 

“Dae…” Jong Soo said with a shy smile, “It was fun…she is good…” he said shyly.

 

“Jong Soo-ah, carry a handkerchief with you always…give to her when she needs…”

 

“Ahhh…okay appa” Jong Soo nodded his head.

 

“Eunji next time, make sure he has a handkerchief, okay?” he said to Eunji, suppressing his smile. Eunji, who was listening to their conversation, turned away after giving a sharp stare at Ken.

 

“Appa” Jong Soo called Ken after a moment of thought, “Did you also give Eomma your handkerchief?” he asked in curiosity when Ken looked at him through the rearview mirror.

 

Eunji immediately looked at Ken for his reply and pleaded with him through her eyes not to reply to him but Ken smiled at Eunji as he remembered Kibum caught her with his handkerchief in her room.

 

“Dae Jong Soo-ah” Ken said with a smile as he and Eunji looked at each other, “Appa gave her my handkerchief…she even had it with her safely till now,” he said. Eunji, who was afraid that she couldn't maintain her poker face anymore, turned away and tried hard to hide her smile.

 

“Then appa” Jong Soo came forward in curiosity, "Did you both also play together?” he asked.

 

Eunji looked at Ken in nervousness to know what he was going to reply to him and Ken got a laugh at her, ‘Prevert’ Ken mouthed at her with a laugh to tell her that he caught her thought - adult thoughts. Eunji bit her lower lips in embarrassment and turned away again to hide her smile.

 

“Dae…Appa…” Ken wanted to drag the words slowly to tease Eunji, “Always…play with eomma…” Eunji looked at him with an aegyo expression to plead with him to stop teasing her. Ken smiled and looked at Jong Soo, “Appa plays football, video games with eomma” he lied.

 

Jong Soo nodded his head and got back his shy smile again thinking of something else. “Appa” he called Ken in a soft voice, “Heejin-ah is pretty, isn’t she?” Jong Soo asked with a shy smile.

 

“Pretty?” Eunji asked in a louder voice.

 

“Ohhh…Jong Soo-ah likes Lee Heejin…” Ken said in a teasing tone which earned him a hard hit on his arms from Eunji.

 

“Pretty…Aegi, from whom are you learning these words?” she asked Jong Soo and looked at Ken.

 

“Yah…I didn’t teach him…he is grown up now…” Ken said in a loud voice and looked at Jong Soo through the rearview mirror, “Jong Soo, Lee Heejin is prettier than eomma, right?” he asked. Eunji pinched Ken for his question and looked at Jong Soo for his reply.

 

“Aniyo” Jong Soo shook his head, “Eomma is the prettiest,” Jong Soo said in a firm tone.

 

“Ahhh…Aegi…eomma loves you so much…my aegi is the best” She cheered for his reply and looked at Ken and stuck her tongue out to make fun of him.

 

Ken got a smile and shook his head, “You will change your opinion when you grow big” he said in a low voice for which Eunji again pinched Ken, he got a laugh at her pout face.

 

“We reached home…” Jong Soo said in an excited tone and got from the car, “Appa, next week again to Han River” he said and ran to the elevator without waiting for Ken and Eunji.

 

Eunji let out a sigh for her son’s excitement; she finds it difficult to accept the change in his son’s behavior. “Yah Eunji…” Ken touched her shoulder, “He is just a kid...just enjoying his first experience with his new friends…that’s all…” Eunji gave a nod without any expression, “He is just five year old kid, still you have a lot of days with him…he will always love you more than anybody in this world” Eunji got a smile for his words, “So don’t burden yourself without unwanted thoughts…be happy,” he said and smiled at her before he walked away to catch Jong Soo.

 

Eunji felt light in her heart after his words and walked behind Ken with a smile. His words were comforting and she felt warmth in her heart. It usually took many days for Eunji to be back to normal when she gets worried about Jong Soo; even though she has friends on her side, she felt no comfort but now Ken’s words were always there for her to comfort her and makes her happy and most importantly to get rid of her worries about Jong Soo – his words give her confidence and support to her which makes her happy. She likes it.

 

Eunji stopped her way to the kitchen after giving food to commedes and garcons when she heard Ken and Jong Soo’s voice from Ken’s room.

 

“Eomma is pretty in this photo, appa,” Jong Soo said to Ken as he points at the photo where Eunji is standing with her college play cast members. After dinner, Ken and Jong Soo were checking Kibum’s old album while Eunji was doing her cleaning and other work.

 

“Dae…eomma is pretty…but she is more pretty in this photo” Ken pointed at another photo where Eunji has a bright smile, “Eomma has a beautiful smile, isn’t Jong Soo-ah?” Ken said as he looked at Eunji’s smiling photo.

 

Eunji felt happy and got chills in her body when she heard Ken’s words. She never expected those words from him and it also gave her curiosity to hear their conversation.

 

“Appa, how did you meet eomma?” Jong Soo asked Ken.

 

Like Eunji who is standing outside and listening to them, Ken recollected Eunji and Kibum’s first meeting in the college. Both get a smile as they imagine how Kibum and Eunji hated each other at the beginning and slowly turn into love for each other.

 

“Eomma…” Ken started and Eunji was curious to hear his reply “was Appa's junior in college. As Jong Soo-ah knows appa is the most handsome person in the world, right?” Jong Soo gave a quick nod to tell that he is highly affirmative about the fact while Eunji’s eyebrows furrowed for his self-praise. “When Appa and Minho Samcheon, Onew Samcheon, Taemin Samcheon...Huh also Jonghyun Samcheon comes to college, all eyes will turn to look at us...we look like heroes in the movie...like a big shining star...in that Appa stands out of all...” Eunji chuckled for his self-praise again, “But Eomma is not pretty...” Eunji's eyebrows again furrowed and wanted to go in to tell Jong Soo that Ken was lying but stopped herself to listen to the rest of his words. “Eomma usually wears long T-shirts, baggy pants; sometimes like granny gowns...she has full covered bangs...wears big round frame power glasses...she has dental braces on her teeth…She has an ugly boots...huh...her walks used to be weird...” Ken shook his head and had a weird expression on his face. Jong Soo was listening to him carefully. “Appa always been like a star in college...A lot of girls follow appa wherever I go...eomma also was one among them…she always waits for me for a long time to see me...” Eunji knows its all his imagination but she got smile as she recollects how she can easily find Kibum among lot of people, “She had an inferiority complex inside her...so she will always have a sad face as she couldn't talk with me...she waits for me from the long but she doesn’t have any courage to talk with appa so she will hide away from appa…” Jong Soo was listening to Ken without moving his eyes. “Of course, eomma will have an inferiority complex because Appa is popular so obviously…can’t help it…” Ken shrugged his shoulders.

 

“Aish…always thinking high about himself…should I break his face now?” Eunji said to herself as she listened to Ken’s words.

 

“Then one-day Eomma gathered all her courage and came before me while appa was on my way to the library. You know…appa study well, always in library…enlight me with the knowledge you know…”

 

“Ah…liar…you never step foot inside the library” Eunji grinds her teeth.

 

“I still remember it well…she stood before me with a rose and a greeting card” Eunji imagined it as she listened to his words.

 

‘Sunbae’ she called me in a low voice with her head hung low.

 

‘What is it?’ Ken asked and tried to look at her face but she refused to show him. ‘I can talk to you only if I know who you are?’ he said.

 

‘Sunbae’ Eunji looked at him and smiled at him. Ken got shocked with her smile, her teeth braces were seen now and she has a weird smile.

 

‘Who are you?’ Ken asked in shock.

 

‘I’m Eunji, Sunbae’ she giggled at him again and showed the rose and card to him, ‘I love you so much, Sunbae’ she said and giggled before covering her face in shyness; she also dropped the rose and card in the attempt of covering her face in shy.

 

Ken got a weird expression that clearly said he doesn’t like her. He picked up the rose and card, ‘But I’m sorry, I’m not interested in you’ he said and forcefully kept the card and the rose in her hand and walked away.

 

‘Sunbae…’ Eunji called Ken in the corridor dramatically, 'you can’t say that to me…please accept my love…’ Eunji grabbed his leg.

 

‘Andwae…I can’t’ he said and tried to move but she pulled his leg which made him fell down, ‘until Sunbae accepts my love…I won’t leave you…accept my love Sunbae…’ Eunji pulls his leg.

 

‘Yah…leave me…’ Ken tries to free him from her hands.

 

Other students gathered around and started laughing at them. ‘Yah leave me…’ he shouted at him.

 

“No andwae…I can’t leave you Sunbae…you are my life…” Ken stopped his acting when Eunji entered the room when she couldn't hear his story anymore. Ken tries to act normal while Eunji stands before him with her hands on her hip. Jong Soo starts laughing when Ken tries to avoid eye contact with her while Eunji shows up on her face whenever he turns back.

 

“I don’t remember such things happening in college,” Eunji said. Ken didn’t reply to her, “Yah Kibum-ah…reply me” she demanded an answer from him.

 

Ken looked at her and tried to be normal, “Maybe you forgot” he said.

 

“Am I?” she asked, pointing at her.

 

“Yes…then who else…me? Move” he pushed her aside and got onto the bed. “Jong Soo-ah, like as said this is how Eomma forcefully made me accept her love…Appa has a big heart, right? So, in the end, I accepted her love and gave her a life…If at all appa didn’t accept eomma’s love then…by now eomma would be single life long…” Ken acted sadly; Eunji wanted to laugh at his acting but maintained her poker face.

 

“Single?” Eunji asked him in a louder voice but Ken just ignored her. “In your dreams,” she said but Ken didn’t listen to her.

 

“After that, appa taught eomma how to dress up, I did her a new hairstyle, dressing, etc…” Ken said as he put his hands around him, “Don’t you think appa has a big heart?” Eunji stood with her hands crossed as she tried to be patient while Jong Soo giggled; “This is how appa changed that ugly duck into a beautiful swan” he said and pointed at Eunji.

 

“Yah you liar…” Eunji grabbed the pillow and threw it on his face, “Stop your lies…” she said in a louder voice. “Jong Soo-ah…” Eunji got into the other side of the bed, “Eomma will tell you the truth” she said.

 

“Don’t believe her Jong Soo-ah, she is going to lie” Ken interrupted.

 

“I know appa is lying…” Ken dropped his shoulders in disappointment while Eunji started laughing, “Appa, Lying is wrong.” Eunji again started laughing at Ken, “I have seen eomma’s small age photos, she was beautiful as always like now…Eomma, you are so beautiful” Jong Soo wrapped his hands around her waist.

 

“Aegi…” Eunji pulled him closer and hugged him before she stuck her tongue out to Ken to , “Eomma loves you always” she said happily.

 

“Jong Soo-ah, don’t believe her sto…”

 

“Yah stop it…” Eunji hit Ken on his arms playfully, “I will tell you aegi…listen to eomma” she said and sat comfortably on the bed. Ken wonders whether Eunji is going to tell him everything.

 

“As Appa said, Eomma and Appa met in college...He is a senior and I'm a junior. At first, Eomma thought Appa is arrogant and a bad guy” Jong Soo giggled, “Appa also thought Eomma was rude...and a bad girl...” This time Jong Soo’s eyebrows got high, “it was kind of a misunderstanding...so we don't like each other...we won't come in front of each other...” Jong Soo got straightened up as he was so interested to hear, “But days didn't go just like that...then slowly we learned that we are not bad people...hmmm...then appa started liking eomma first...” Ken looked curious about it because he had never heard about it before but Eunji didn’t give a detailed explanation for it, “Then we liked each other...after that…appa took care of me well…always there for me…we were there for each other…after we finished studying, then appa got a job and started working…after that, I and appa got married...then Jong Soo came into our life” Eunji finished in an excited tone. Jong Soo got a shy smile for the last part.

 

“Then if you both didn't meet each other in college, then I wouldn't have been born?” Jong Soo asked Eunji, pointing at himself.

 

Ken and Eunji made eye contact. Ken felt another way; if Jong Soo was not there, he couldn't have seen Eunji in his life. Eunji smiled and looked at Jong Soo while Ken quickly snapped his mind and wondered why he got a thought like that.

 

“Dae...” Eunji nodded at Jong Soo.

 

“Aigo...then thank god you both met in college,” Jong Soo said and dropped his shoulder in relief which caused a laugh in the room, “If not then no Jong Soo: he said with a pout face.

 

“Aigo look...who's talking smart...” Ken tickled Jong Soo, “Our Jong Soo is smart...who is smart...” Ken tickled more to make him laugh.

 

“Eomma...help me...” Jong Soo cried out to Eunji for help but she also tickled him along with Ken.

 

“It's time to sleep... let's go...” Eunji called Jong Soo after Ken finished playing with him.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter