Chapter - 21

Come Back To Us
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Taemin rushed to the hospital leaving all his office work in the middle as soon as he got the call from Ken. ‘Naeun-ah fainted’ Ken’s words were kept on ringing inside his head. He got frustrated in finding the room in the hospital to which Ken asked him to come; the hospital staff to whom Taemin asked the direction even though gave a correct and detailed direction to the room, in panic he couldn’t able find room.

 

“Naeun-ah...” Taemin called out in panic as soon as he saw Naeun on the hospital bed. Ken, Eunji, and Naeun got jolted up for his sudden entry.

 

“Naeun-ah...what happened?” He came running to her and hugged her, “Tell me what happened? How are you?” He asked after he pulled away from the hug. Naeun didn’t reply and hung her head low to hide her shyness; Taemin looked at Ken and Eunji for the answer but they were silent without any expression. “Somebody tell me what happened?” Taemin shouted at them in frustration.

 

“Why do you ask us? It's all because of you Taemin-ah...” Ken said in a cold tone.

 

“What...what did I...do?” Taemin asked in confusion and looked at all three.

 

“You didn't do anything?” Ken asked. Taemin shook his head in confusion and looked at Naeun who got a smile now. “Without you doing anything, all these happened?” Ken asked pointing at him.

 

“Ah...I know...” Taemin turned to Naeun, “I told you to be careful, you didn't listen to me...” Ken and Eunji's eyebrows furrowed, “I told you to eat well...you were so busy with your project work...that's why you got weak,” Taemin said to Naeun who was suppressing her laugh. “Quit your job, Naeun-ah,” he said with a serious expression on his face; Naeun chuckled, “Wae? Why are laughing…I’m serious,” he said and looked confused for her reaction; by now she couldn’t have prepared for an argument for telling her to quit her job but she was giggling. Taemin doesn’t know what is funny in it.

 

Ken chuckled and Eunji shook his head in disappointment, “Yah...your wife is pregnant,” Eunji burst the surprise bubble, “that's why she fainted not because of without eating” Eunji said in a frustrated tone.

 

“Ah...Pregnant...” Taemin nodded his head as if he understand it, “Wait...what...pregnant...” He turned to Naeun to confirm it; she nodded her head with shy, “Naeun-ah...Pregnant...” He understood and hugged Naeun in happiness.

 

“Taemin-ah...” Mrs.Lee gave a storming entry, “What happened to Naeun-ah?” She asked as she comes in, Mr.Lee was behind her.

 

“Eomma...Naeun-ah is pregnant...I'm appa now...” Taemin said with a wide smile.

 

Mrs.&Mr.Lee was over-excited by the news, “OMO, am I halabeoji at this young age?” Mr.Lee said and acted disappointed.

 

“Appa”, “Yeobo” Taemin and Mrs.Lee shouted at him and Mrs.Lee hit him on his shoulders which broke into laughter inside the room. Mrs.&Mr.Lee wished and hugged Naeun and Taemin.

 

In the next few minutes, Mrs.Son gave another storm entry to the room with Mr.Son followed by Son Saeeun in her golf practice dress; it looks like she came in the middle of her practice session, “What happened to my daughter? What happened, Naeun-ah? Why are you here?” She asked and hugged her in panic.

 

“Yah...you became halemoni...” Mrs.Lee said in an excited tone.

 

“What halemoni...Naeun-ah” Mrs.Son hugged and kissed her cheeks.

 

“OMO, I’m IMO now…” Son Saeeun said in shock with wide-opened eyes and perfect form of ‘O’ on her lips. Her rhythmic words again brought laughter to the room.

 

Ken got a wide smile looking at them being happy for Naeun and Taemin. He saw them, sharing hugs, a few joyful tears, cracking jokes, being noisy and Taemin still holding Naeun's hand; looking at them Ken realized that this is how good news brings happiness to a family, it's his first time to see such family happiness. But Ken's smile got disappeared when he saw Eunji standing frozen as she looks at both the families; he saw her smiling and happy for Naeun before but now her reaction is different and also he couldn't understand why. Ken quickly poked her hand to bring it back to her senses before anyone would notice her reaction; she is back to her senses but still looking emotionless.

 

“So...” Ken started to get everyone's attention, “we are leaving...” He said.

 

“Oh, Kibum-ah...Thank you so much for your help” Mrs.Lee hugged him.

 

“It’s Okay Imo...not a big deal” Ken replied with a smile.

 

“Thank you Eunji-yah...for always being for Naeun-ah,” Mrs.Son said with a wide smile. Eunji gave a smile as a reply and hugged and congratulated Naeun before leaving the room.

 

Ken and Eunji walked out but there was a silence between them. There was a huge gap between Ken and Eunji; she was walking with her head hung low. Once Ken pulled her from hitting another person; after that also she didn't walk properly. Ken understood that something was inside her head and decided to wait for her to talk. When they went to Jong Soo's school, it was not like usual; Eunji walked towards Jong Soo before he could reach her and received Jong Soo with open hands and hugged him tightly. Ken looked at the back seat of the car through the rearview mirror; Eunji sat with Jong Soo at the back seat and her hands were around Jong Soo, the atmosphere where not like usual in the car, Jong Soo was telling about his whole day and Eunji was looking at him with a small smile on her face without replying him which Ken didn’t fail to notice. During dinner, Ken eats as he watches Eunji feeding Jong Soo; it was again not like usual, she feeds as she admires him. To know how she behaves, Ken asked Jong Soo to sleep with him in his room but Eunji stopped Jong Soo before he could reply; Ken didn't hear Eunji, he went inside with Jong Soo and closed the door before she could do next.

 

After Ken made Jong Soo sleep, he thinks about Eunji's behavior. When he heard footsteps outside, he quickly closed his eyes and acted like sleeping after he wrapped his hands around Jong Soo. Like he expected Eunji entered the room silently but Ken still pretending like sleeping. Eunji carefully tried to remove Ken’s hands around Jong Soo; at first, Ken pretended like holding tightly but soon changed his idea and let Eunji remove his hand from Jong Soo.

 

Eunji carried sleeping Jong Soo to her room without waking him up. After they got settled on the bed, Eunji sang a song ‘Cradle song’ as she caresses his hair.

Lullaby and Good Night
In the sky stars are bright
May the moons silvery beams
Bring you sweet dreams


Close your eyes now and rest
May these hours be blessed
Till the sky's bright with the dawn
When you wake with a yawn
 

Eunji pulled Jong Soo closer to her, adjusted his blanket and wrapped her in her arms.


Lullaby and Good Night
You are mother's delight
I will protect you from harm
And you will wake in my arms


Sleepyhead, close your eyes
For I'm right beside you
Guardian Angels are near
So, sleep without fear


Lullaby and Sleep tight
My darling sleeping
On sheets white as cream
With a head full of dreams


Sleepyhead, close your eyes
I'm right beside you
Lay thee down now and rest
May your slumber be blessed.

After the song ended, she kissed his forehead, ‘I love you aegi’ she said and with a smile on her face, she was looking at him. Ken was standing outside the door hearing her song and hesitated to knock on the door after she finishes the song. He thought for a moment and raised his hand to knock on the door but stopped himself and walked back to his room. That night he didn’t get sleep as he was thinking for the reason for Eunji’s behavior. Initially, he thought Eunji must be jealous of Naeun but quickly concluded that she is not of that type and also there was no reason for her to feel jealous of Naeun’s pregnancy.

 

The next evening Ken saw Jong Soo and Eunji playing with commedes and gracons in their living room; Eunji already informed them that for dinner she has ordered the food so no cooking. Ken knows ordering food is the least favorite opinion for Eunji while cooking is her favorite part in household work so he understood that to play with Jong Soo she decided to order the food. When seeing them playing together, usually he will join them but today he wants somebody to talk with him and share his thoughts; his first option was to call Taemin but he stopped himself that Taemin is in excitement about Naeun’s pregnancy so Ken felt it won’t be good to call him and talk with him for his doubts and confusion. Luckily Soyou herself called Ken to have dinner together which he felt like it is a blessing from heaven so he accepted happily. Ken informed Eunji and Jong Soo that he will go out for dinner; he thought both will stop him from going out and will compel him to eat at home with them but it was only Jong Soo who stopped; soon Eunji convinced him. Ken understood that Eunji is trying to keep Jong Soo away from him, that moment he wants to talk with her or argue with her for her behavior but he dropped the idea because of Jong Soo.

 

‘I thought we solved all issues…’ Ken thought for Eunji’s behavior.

 

“Did you inform Eunji that you are going to drink today?” Soyou asked after Ken ordered Soju bottles.

 

“No…but one or two-shot won’t be bad I think,” he said.

 

“Whatever it is…eating together after a long time is nice” Ken nodded his head as he didn’t move his eyes from the menu card even after he finished giving his orders. “What is the dinner today at your home?” Soyou asked.

 

“Don’t know…Eunji didn’t cook today…she has ordered food”

 

“Wae? She doesn’t prefer outside food…” Ken shook his head after he kept the menu card aside, “Huh…it must be boring to cook always” Ken nodded his head without any expression, “But her honey chicken is the best…she is good at cooking, there is some magic in her hands” Soyou said as they serve the food to each other.

 

Ken stopped and chuckled, “I thought you will complain about her cooking…” he said.

 

“We can’t complain about her cooking…she may be a boring person but her food...we won’t tired of eating it,” Soyou said and smiled thinking of Eunji’s honey chicken.

 

“I thought you both hate each other” Ken said looking at Soyou.

 

“Did she say to you that she hates me?” Soyou asked Ken as she raised her eyebrows, Ken shook his head; “I too don’t hate her” she said and started eating her food.

 

“But…you both...always…argue, right?”

 

“Yah…that’s because she has stolen my best friend from me…and I’m her husband’s best friend…so it happens…just girly things…” Soyou said and got an embarrassed face which Ken caught quickly and laughed. “Jong Soo didn’t stop you from coming out alone?” Soyou asked him.

 

“Eunji convinced him” Ken didn’t look at her.

 

“That’s why you are upset?” Ken looked at her as she caught him, “What is going on inside your head? You behave differently…tell me” she asked him.

 

Ken let a sigh and lean forward to her, “Did you hear that Naeun-ah is pregnant?” Ken asked.

 

“Dae…it was surprising that they both delayed for a baby...we always tell that soon he will start his own school with his children population…” Ken laughed, “So what is it related to your bad mood?” she asked.

 

“Ah…it is not Naeun-ah’s pregnancy…Eunji’s behavior was disturbing…she is making a distance between me and Jong Soo…the way she looks at Jong Soo…” he recollected how Eunji was looking at Jong Soo during dinner and shook his head in frustration, “Ah…so different…it is frustrating…” he said and looked at Soyou who looks at him without any expression.

 

Soyou let a sigh and looked at her plate, “Make a distance between you and Jong Soo is because…” Ken look at her in curiosity, “Soon you will go back, right…that’s why…” she looked at him, “She started preparing Jong Soo for that day.” She said.

 

Ken understood and got remembered that once before also she spoke with Jong Soo about him going back, “Then…her behavior?” he said in curious.

 

“That is because she may have got to remember of her pregnancy days,” she said in low voice with her head hung low.

 

“Her pregnancy days?” Soyou looked at him, “Wae?” he asked.

 

“Because she was so lonely those days…no one was there for her...it was like only she and her baby,” she said. Ken got remember that Eunji was so happy when the doctor said ‘Naeun-ah is pregnant’, she got excited, hugged Naeun, and kissed her; she then grabbed his hands and jumped in joy. Everything was fine for her until Taemin and Naeun’s family reached there and started getting happy for the good news; it was that moment Eunji’s expression turned frozen and strange. Now Ken got understood everything.

 

“Why she was alone?” he asked Soyou.

 

“Because you were said to be dead…other than you, who else she had that time for her? Huh...friends were there but her husband…” she shook her head. Ken went into silence.

 

--FLASHBACK--

 

“Mrs.Kim?” The nurse called out Eunji while she was waiting outside the doctor's room. “You can go inside” Nurse gave the report to her and allowed her inside.

 

After a few minutes, Eunji came out with her reports; her head hung low with no emotions.

 

‘Congratulations Mrs.Kim. You are pregnant...45 days have completed’ Doctor's words ringed inside her head. Those words didn’t give her happiness.

 

When Doctor said those words to her, she was sitting with her head hung low. The doctor felt completely weird because each time whenever she says just big and happy news to a family or a couple they get happy and some jump at that moment in joy, some gets tears in happiness and sometimes the doctor has seen some getting fainted in over-excitement but Eunji’s expression was sad, without any sign of happiness.

 

Eunji already took a test at her home with a pregnancy kit. When some symptoms started showing up in recent days, Eunji was not aware of it. Initially, it started with fatigue; Eunji thought it may be because she couldn’t get proper sleep and not eat properly due to all tragedy that happened in her life in the past few days; so she didn’t take it seriously. Next, she started getting her morning sickness, In the early morning she get her nausea – discomfort in her stomach and throwing-up; it made her think which lead her to find that she missed her period that month, which gave a shock to her. So to make sure about her guess, she decided to undergo a test with a pregnancy kit at the home. It showed positive; she could have jumped in joy and even waited for Key to come home after his work and started to celebrate about the news if he was alive but now it was upside down, the result gave her a shock and also a fear. She was sacred and also wants to reconfirm it, so Eunji came to the hospital for a proper checkup. As she expected, Doctor said those words to her.

 

“Mrs.Kim?” The doctor tapped her pen before her on the table to make her come back to her senses. “Did you hear what I said?” the doctor asked, Eunji didn’t reply to her. “I told you are pregnant, Mrs.Kim,” the doctor said again but still Eunji didn’t react. The doctor felt strange and leaned forward, “Where is the father of your baby…Eunji-ssi?” Doctor asked. Eunji’s eyes got watery and she didn’t reply. “Are you not married?” The doctor looked at the form, “Who is Kim Ki Bum then, Eunji-ssi?” she asked and waited for her reply.

 

“Kim Ki Bum…is my husband,” Eunji said in a low voice.

 

“Then where is he?”

 

“He is…dead” Doctor’s eyebrows went high in shock and felt suspicious and she showed that on her face too, “He was said…said to be dead in London…when we went together…before 45days,” Eunji said and trying not to cry before the doctor.

 

The doctor quickly looked at the report and spotted the ’45 days’ mentioned on the confirmed date, she couldn’t able to say any word to Eunji and understood what Eunji was going through. “What do you want to do this baby, Mrs.Kim?” Doctor asked Eunji which gave her a shock. Till now she worried that her husband was not there with her for

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter