Chapter - 25

Come Back To Us
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“At last, they slept off,” Eunji said, looking at the back seat of the car where Jong Soo and their pet dogs were sleeping. “Now it is silent” she turned to the front and leaned comfortably on the seat.

“We were singing,” Ken said with a smile without moving his eyes from the road.

“Singing? Then what does commedes and garcons were doing...” Eunji asked, pointing at commedes and garcons who were sleeping inside the box. “They both were growling...It was so noisy” Eunji said.

Ken chuckled, “Let them enjoy this trip...” he said pointing at the back seat.

“I want him to sleep till we reach Daegu...after seeing eomonim and aboenim he won't listen to me,” Eunji said with a pout face. Ken only got a smile for her complaints.

“Sleep...I will wake you up when we reach” he said.

Ken and Eunji were on their way to Daegu with Jong Soo in his car; they started up early in the morning and had their breakfast on their way. As their stay may get extended, Ken decided to take commedes and garcons with them. Everybody was happy with their trip but the only person who didn't like it was Lee Taemin; he asked and even pleaded with Ken not to go on the trip as he needs him in the office but Ken said no to his idea as he desperately wants to go for this trip with Eunji and Jong Soo.

“Lately I was thinking...” Eunji started after a few minutes of silence, Ken looked at her, “We were using the term 'handsome', 'pretty' very often...so I was afraid that as Jong Soo hear those words very often, he may not learn to look at people's character or inner feelings...Just he may think about outward appearances...” she said and looked at Ken.

“You are right...he should know and understand how others think and feel...next time I will be careful in using those terms before him...” He replied after a small thought and nodded at her with a smile.

“So you also accept that there are other handsome people?” She asked in an excited tone.

“Aniyo...I don't...Yah Eunji, why do you look at others...” He asked and showed his fake annoyed face for which Eunji got a smile.

“And also...” This time Ken started after a silence, “Don't stop him from getting along with others...I mean like Heejin...” Eunji looked at him with her eyebrows furrowed, “Eunji, listen...he needs to get along with others so that only he can know how people are there, who is good, who is bad...” Eunji remained silent, “I still say the same...He always needs you and you are irreplaceable in his life,” he said and smiled at her.

“Okay then...I will not stop him next time...” She said and smiled at him.

“Then...” Eunji again started after a thought, “About vaccination... Don't you think you just overreacted?” She asked him.

“Yah...that is...” Ken stopped as he accepted the fact that he just overreacted that day in the hospital.

“Vaccination is not bad...we can't avoid them,” Eunji said.

“But he was scared of injection and...” Ken started in louder, “And also I was too scared of it...” He finished in a low voice without looking at her.

Eunji smiled, “But it is for his good,” she said, looking at him.

“Okay, next time I won’t do that...” He said and nodded his head, “Also did you see how he finds it difficult to face failure in that drawing competition” he asked.

“Yeah...he thought he would win...” Eunji said with a pout face as he looked at Jong Soo.

“Yes, but we should teach him how to be strong...next time we should encourage and prepare him how to handle failure...” Ken said.

“Hmmm, even I thought the same...we should teach him to give his best and not to worry about the result” Eunji replied to him in a firm tone.

“Yes, we should” both nodded their heads at each other.

There was silence in the car for a moment, they looked at each other and started laughing after realizing that they had a conversation about parenting rather than a normal one.

“We sound serious...” Ken said as they laughed.

“Right...parenting is fun but still we have a lot to learn...” Eunji replied.

“Yeah... a lot to learn to bring him up as a good one,” Ken said and looked at Jong Soo through the rearview mirror.

“Yes...Oh, I feel grateful to my eomma now after thinking how hard parenting is...she must have gone through a lot for me...I miss her” Eunji said causally and kept her bag aside and lean comfortably on the seat, “I will sleep for sometimes” she said and closed her eyes. Ken looked at her without disturbing her sleep and many thoughts ran into his head.

As soon as Ken said, “We reached” Jong Soo jumped out of the car in joy and ran to Mrs.&Mr.Kim who was coming out to receive them at their doorsteps. Mrs.Kim crouched down and opened her hand to hug Jong Soo and kissed him. Then they welcomed Eunji and Ken. The maids were busy arranging the Jesa table for the evening memorial ceremony. As they enter the house, Ken recognized that Mrs.&Mr.Kim were in the dress which he brought them. Mrs.Kim was in a floral ankle-length unstructured skirt with a matching top while Mr.Kim was in a casual shirt with a matching scarf. Ken bragged himself saying that he chose the right dress for them but Mrs.Kim complained playfully that she is not old to wear such skirts and she expected a frock from him which made Ken and Mr.Kim start teasing her.

“Eomma...you are Jong Soo's Halmeoni so it means you are old...” Ken replied casually, Eunji slightly hit his hand to warm him for his words, “What, I'm telling the truth?” He said looking at Eunji.

“He is right...she got old” Mr.Kim joins Ken to tease his wife.

“Yeobo...” Mrs.Kim hits his arm, “Then you are also old...” She replied to him angrily. With Ken, Mr.Kim didn't stop teasing Mrs.Kim; they had a short conversation too before their lunch and Jong Soo showed Mrs.&Mr.Kim the few tricks of their pet dogs commedes and garcons. Mrs.Kim instructed Ken and Eunji to take a rest till evening as they all looked tired of travel.

In the evening along with Mr.Kim, Ken and Jong Soo wore black tuxedos while Eunji wore a black formal skirt which is the same as Mrs.Kim’s dress. Not to make any mistakes in the ceremony, Ken learned from Eunji beforehand about various steps in the event and they taught Jong Soo also how important it is and how to behave. They all gathered at the Jesa table for the ceremony which was led by Mr.Kim according to the traditions. The table consists of soup, rice, meat, dried fish, a lot of pancakes, fried food, and various vegetables and fruits such as pear, apple, dates, and persimmon. It started with inviting the ancestors to the table which was done by Mr.Kim and then they followed with greetings. Mr.Kim, Ken, and Jong Soo bowed two times before the table one by one; Eunji felt happy when Jong Soo did the greeting correctly as she taught him. Then Mrs.Kim and Eunji bowed four times before the table. The room was filled with silence when Mrs.&Mr.Kim served the food on the table.

Mrs.Kim brought Jong Soo before the table, “Eomonim, look who has come along with our bummie, it's your Jeungson Kim Jong Soo'' she said while others were looking at them silently.

“Annyeonghaseyo jeungjomo, Kim Jong Soo inimida, I'm five years old” Jong Soo bowed down respectfully.

“Bless him eomonim, let him grow well and be a blessing to our family,” Mrs.Kim said and crouched down to Jong Soo, “Jong Soo-ah, ask your jeungjomo whatever you want she will get you,” she said. Jong Soo got a wide smile and brought his hands together and prayed while others stood silent for a few minutes in respect.

“Jong Soo-ah, what did you ask Jeungjomo?” Mr.Kim asked Jong Soo after they sat together in the living room while Mrs.Kim went inside with the maid to bring them gifts.

“It's secret Harabeoji,” Jong Soo said in a whisper and smirked at Mr.Kim. Eunji and Ken looked at each other knowing what it could be his wish. Thankfully they didn't talk about it further, because Mrs.Kim entered the room with the gifts.

“Jong Soo-ah...look what Halmeoni got for you...” Mrs.Kim said in an excited tone and showed him new toys, a remote car, a robot man, a football, stuffed animals, etc.

“Eomonim, he has a lot of toys,” Eunji said.

“It's okay Eunji...let him play with these too...” She gave him all the toys which Jong Soo happily accepted.

“Here it is for you Kibummie...” Mr.Kim gave a watch to him. Eunji knows that watch, as soon as she saw that watch she got a smile and remembered that it was given by his Halmeoni during his college days and when he left the home, he gave back all the expensive things to his parents; now they are giving it back to him.

“It was Halmeoni’s gift for you...she must be happy that now it came to you again,” Mrs.Kim said with a wide smile. Ken looked at Eunji who had a wide smile on her face and remembered Eunji telling him about a watch that she misunderstood that Arisa gave to Kibum.

“I will always wear it,” he said and wore it to make them happy.

“And this is for Eunji” Mrs.Kim gave a set of dresses and a jewel box which has a chain with a customized key pendant with her name written inside the design. “Eomonim ordered it, especially for you,” she said and wore her chain. “And this dress eomonim got for your birthday...she wanted to give it to you but I stopped her...” Mrs.Kim said in a low voice.

Not to make anyone get sad with past things, Eunji quickly reacted, “I like this pendant with my name...how did they make this?” She asked to divert the topic. Mr.Kim started explaining how they do such pendent while Mrs.Kim couldn't help to stop thinking about what happened in the past.

“What is going on here?” Mrs.Kim gave a stormy entry into grandma's room. As soon as they saw Mrs.Kim in the room, grandma and her maid Cho, who is a middle-aged woman, stood still as they didn't expect her at that moment in the room.

“Myeoneuli...what are you doing here?” Grandma asked Mrs.Kim nervously.

At that next moment, Cho quickly hid the box which she was holding and Mrs.Kim didn't fail to see it.

“What was that?” Mrs.Kim asked in a cold tone and walked to Cho in anger.

“Myeoneuli” Grandma tried to stop Mrs.Kim from going to Cho but Mrs.Kim grabbed Cho's hand forcefully and pulled out the box which she was trying to hide behind the curtains.

“What is this?” Mrs.Kim asked Cho angrily after she opened the box which contained a floral frock and a small jewel box with a letter. “For whom?” She asked Cho but instead of replying she looked at grandma so Mrs.Kim turned to Grandma.

“For whom are all these, eomonim?” She asked.

“Should I reply to you?” Grandma asked back.

“Dae, I need the answer, tell me for whom eomonim?” Mrs.Kim asked in a loud voice.

“For a close person of mine,” Grandma said and turned away.

“Who is that close person?” Mrs.Kim asked standing before her, Grandma didn't reply and tried to move away but still, Mrs.Kim didn't leave her, again standing before her, “I know for whom all these. For that girl?” Grandma again tried to move away but again Mrs.Kim stood before her, “Am I right, Eomonim?” She asked her in a cold tone.

“Dae, it's for Eunji” Grandma accepted the truth.

“You are sending gifts for that , huh?” Mrs.Kim shouted in anger, “And you are helping her?” She said pointing at Cho, “You are fired” Mrs.Kim shouted at Cho who stood frozen in shock at her words.

“She is my maid and I brought her to this job, you can’t fire her” Grandma came in between to defend Cho.

Mrs.Kim dropped her shoulder in disappointment and dropped the box on the bed; she doesn't know what to talk about next.

“Myeoneuli” Grandma came closer to Mrs.Kim and touched her shoulder, “It's Eunji's birthday soon and also it's her first birthday after marriage...so she needs our blessing,” she said in a soft voice.

“Blessing? Marriage?” Mrs.Kim let out a bitter laugh, “Eomonim please for god's sake understand everything...It all didn't happen to our wish...that stole our Kibummie...because of her it all happened, she is behind everything and still you need to bless her...” Mrs.Kim shouted in frustration.

“Aniyo...it is not like that...he loves her so much so he left us...we lost him, it's our mistake” Grandma tried to explain to her.

“He fell into her trap eomonim; she loves our money more than him...”

“No, Eunji is not like that...She is a good girl...let me explain to you something...”

“Eomonim...No, please understand... For what such a poor girl like Eunji will fall in love with a rich guy like our Kibummie...for money, for luxury... She is a poor girl...can't fit in our family, not equal to us” Mrs.Kim said her thoughts in a frustrated tone.

“Myeoneuli...from when you started thinking such things about poor people...” Grandma asked with wide eyes.

“What else can we expect from poor people?” Mrs.Kim asked her with a challenging look.

“I didn't expect such words from you”

“But that is true, eomonim”

“Eunji may be poor but she is not bad...Like her name, she is kind and good, that's why Kibum likes her”

“Kibum likes her...” Mrs.Kim let out a bitter laugh, “He fell in her trap like an idiot... I can't believe that he is an idiot” Mrs.Kim shook her head.

“Myeoneuli...” Grandma shouted in anger, “Watch your words...” She warned her.

“I didn't say anything wrong; he is an idiot, an idiot to say that he wants only her. That's why I too don't want him anymore...I abandoned him...no more Kibum in our family” Mrs.Kim said in anger.

“You abandon him...” Grandma asked in shock, “You abandon your only son...” She again asked in shock, “How can you be such a bad person...I thought you were good, that's why I brought you to my family...gave you my son...Kibum is my grandson...now you abandon him...” Grandma shook her head in disappointment and walked away from Mrs.Kim, “I abandon you...Go away...” Grandma shouted, “You are not my Myeoneuli...” Mrs.Kim's eyes went wide in shock and moved to hold grandma's hand but she pushed away, “No...not anymore...you are not my Myeoneuli anymore...I don't want to see your face again...” Grandma turned to her maid, “Cho...ask her to get out of this room...send her away...” Grandma turned to Mrs.Kim, “Don't ever enter my room again...” Grandma shouted at her, “And don't call me eomonim again” she said in a firm tone. Mrs.Kim shook still while Grandma turned away from her.

“Fine” Mrs.Kim said and walked out of the room angrily.

That was the last day Grandma spoke with Mrs.Kim; after that, she didn't even see her. Mrs.Kim was angry at her for still supporting Eunji and she didn't put any effort to convince her; even after Kibum’s death, Mrs.Kim blamed her for trusting Eunji blindly.

After Kibum’s death news, Grandma stopped coming out of the room, the news made her heartbroken, and stayed inside her room thinking and grieving for Kibum, sometimes Mr.Kim comes to meet and talk to her - only to him grandma talks and shares how she feels. Grandma's disappointment in Mrs.Kim got increased when she heard how badly she behaved with Taemin and Mr.Lee who brought the news of Eunji's pregnancy; she believed that the child is Kibum’s.

Days passed by, but nothing changed in the house; still, Mrs.Kim and Grandma didn't talk with each other. But loneliness and emptiness started occupying the house, Mrs.Kim started feeling that she had no reason to live and no one to comfort her as their daily routine was work, eat and sleep which turned out to be annoying.

Without her son and her mother in law are not talking, Mrs.Kim doesn't know why she is living in such a big house without nobody for her; on the rare occasion she sees Grandma sitting on the garden bench alone, it is where she and Kibum use to sit and talk so sometimes grandma comes there to think about those memories. Many times Mrs.Kim stood before grandma's room but walked back as she didn't dare to knock on the door.

Days got worse; Grandma started getting weak and bedridden. Hearing about her health, Mrs.Kim felt bad and wanted to talk with her. One or two times she went to grandma's room but grandma refused to talk and turned away from her. But one day when Mrs.Kim was in her room alone and being sad, Cho entered her room and stood before her nervously.

“What happened? Why are you here?” Mrs.Kim stood from her chair nervously as soon as she saw Cho in her room. Mrs.Kim prayed inside her head that it shouldn't be any bad news.

“Madam wants to see you. She called you to her room” Cho said in a soft voice after a slight bow.

Mrs.Kim's heart started racing and she got both nervous and happy, she didn't expect that Grandma would call her to the room so she ran to her room without any delay.

“Myeoneuli” Grandma called Mrs.Kim who was standing on the doorstep with hesitation, in a feasible voice. It’s been many years since Mrs.Kim heard those words from grandma.

Mrs.Kim looked at Grandma who was lying on her bed and gave her a small smile. “Eomonim” Mrs.Kim murmured seeing grandma being weak and thin, tears rolled from her eyes as she thought how irresponsible she was as a daughter-in-law who failed to look after the elder of the house. She quickly walks in and kneels before her bed and bows down completely till her head touches the floor, “I’m sorry eomonim... Please...please... Forgive me for all the bad deeds I did to you. I spoiled our family which you built with your sweat and tears...I'm sorry...I should be given death as a punishment... I failed...sorry eomonim, I failed and forgot what all you taught me...I'm sorry...” She started crying.

“Myeoneuli, stop crying...look at me,” Grandma said in a soft voice. Mrs.Kim look up at her, Grandma smiled at her, “Get up” she said but still, Mrs.Kim didn't move, “I forgive you Myeoneuli” she said and smiled at her; tears rolled down from Mrs.Kim's eyes, “Get up...come to me,” she said in a soft voice as she taps the empty spot next to her in the bed. Mrs.Kim sat before Grandma on her bed and took her hand in hers, her hands were so thin and weak and grandma let Mrs.Kim caress her hand.

“My end is nearing Myeoneuli” Grandma started after a moment.

Mrs.Kim got watery eyes, “No eomonim... It won't happ...” She started.

“Aniyo Myeoneuli...I know it will happen... Death comes to everyone...” Mrs.Kim hung her head low, “But I know Kibum won't be there where I'm going” Mrs.Kim looked up, “I'm sure Myeoneuli, he won't have such a tragic end...when he was born, the moment I took him in my arms...I know...I know he will be our joy and will bring more joy to us...he won't leave us so soon...” Grandma said.

“But eomonim...it's already been five years, do you still believe that he is...”

“Yes, he is alive...” Mrs.Kim looked puzzled, “He left us biggest happiness to our family” Mrs.Kim understood what Grandma meant, “I know you got my point Myeoneuli” Mrs.Kim remained silent, “Bring back Eunji and her son,” Grandma said and waited for Mrs.Kim's reply but she didn't reply.

“Myeoneuli” Grandma started again after a moment of silence, “Do you know why I made you my Myeoneuli?” She asked. Mrs.Kim nodded her head, “If you thought it's because you are rich or it is my husband’s business with your family, then you are wrong” grandma said.

“Then what is the reason, eomonim?” Mrs.Kim asked. Last time Mrs.Kim was not ready to hear any explanation from grandma but this time she sat with her to listen to all her words.

“Because my son liked you the moment he saw you...I had reasons to reject you...I don't want my son's personal life to get involved in business, You were a troublesome girl, was not ready for any responsibility...but still I accepted this marriage...all I need is my son's happiness...I know I have brought up my son well to know how to find what is good and bad...” Mrs.Kim nodded her head, “After your marriage, I taught you everything, you brought more colors to this house...you gave me Kibum...I was happy for you because you managed both home and work but then...”

“I know eomonim...I did wrong” Tears rolled down from Mrs.Kim's eyes, “What should I do now?” She asked.

“Bring Eunji and her son home...they are our family...Eunji is not as bad as you think...Did you remember what her eomma told us? Her husband died when their children were small...Eunji's eomma would have gotten married again but she stood strong to live for her kids, raise them with dignity... Such a mother could never bring up a bad girl...Kibummie could have seen the best and good in her...Eunji will add more colors to this house where you left...Trust me, we taught Kibummie what is good and bad...Just do like what I did to you” Mrs.Kim remained silent, “This is my last wish Myeoneuli” Grandma said in a cracked voice.

“Eomonim...” Mrs.Kim started crying, “Will she...eomonim, how will I...” She is still crying holding grandma’s hand.

“Myeoneuli...” Grandma called her again in a soft voice and with a smile knowing that Mrs.Kim was okay to bring back Eunji home but has hesitation because of her old behavior towards Eunji,“I'm not rushing you...I can understand your hesitation...like you, Eunji also will have hesitation to come here with you... All I advise you is both take your time to move closer, it won't happen in a day but it will happen one day so...all I need you is to take the first step towards her...Trust me that kid is Kibum’s, he must have left it for us...we should take care of them. Bring them back home.” Grandma finished.

“I promise to bring them back home eomonim,” Mrs.Kim said with determined eyes.

“That's enough Myeoneuli...that's enough...now my soul will rest in peace,” Grandma said with a smile.

Then in one early morning when Mrs.Kim came to wake up grandma, she saw her dead in her sleep. Even though grandma is dead, Mrs.Kim doesn't forget the promise she made to her. After gathering all her courage, she and her husband prepared to meet Eunji and Jong Soo. She took the right decision, which made her life colorful again - Jong Soo and Eunji gave a reason for her to be happy - everyday Jong Soo talks with Mrs.&Mr.Kim, they like his never-ending stories, She prepare all varieties of kimchi and other side dishes for Eunji and send her with the fruits that grown on their farm, sometimes her husband use to that she was always busy in sending gifts to Eunji and Jong Soo. Even though they are far away, Mrs.Kim was happy that they became their family now.

Mrs.&Mr.Kim felt like it was a blessing that they got back Kibum as Ken and thanked heaven; they didn't feel the burden to wait for Ken to realize that he is Kibum because they know who he is.

“Am I right, eomma?” Ken's voice brought back Mrs.Kim to her senses.

“What did you say?” Mrs.Kim asked after becoming normal.

“Eomonim, he is saying that I won’t fit into this dress because it was stitched long back” Eunji comp

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter