Chapter -22

Come Back To Us
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jong Soo came running to Ken's room and sat next to him on the bed. Ken, who was checking his mobile, jolted up and looked at Jong Soo who was looking worried.

“Jong Soo-ah, what happened?” He asked him in a worried tone.

“Appa...eomma...” Jong Soo pointed at the door and grabbed Ken's hand and put it around him before moving much closer to him.

“Wae? Eomma...what did she do?” He asked Jong Soo.

Before he could reply, Eunji entered the room with a medical file; as soon as Eunji took that file out of the cupboard, Jong Soo guessed that Eunji had a plan to take him to a hospital. So he came running to Ken’s room for help.

“Tomorrow morning let's go to the hospital,” she said to Ken.

“Wae?”

“Jong Soo-ah has a vaccine to put on” Eunji replied.

“Appa, injection hurts” Jong Soo whispered to Ken and he understood now why Jong Soo came to him.

“Is it important?” Ken asked Eunji.

“Dae...it's already late,” Eunji said, pointing to the medical file which she was holding.

Ken looked at Jong Soo who slightly shook his head to show his disapproval for her idea of visiting the hospital; he understood Jong Soo is scared for injection, “It's okay...let's go afterward, not tomorrow” he said and looked at Jong Soo who now got a smile for his words.

“No...He has to come tomorrow...” Eunji started explaining to Ken but he didn't listen and stood firm in his decision to go after a few days. In the end, Eunji agreed no for injection and asked for a physical check-up at least, for which Ken said okay.

The next day they reached the hospital on time and Ken encouraged Jong Soo for all physical tests; as his appa was near him, Jong Soo was not scared.

Initially, they started with simple tests like checking weight and height, eye vision, hearing capability, and writing and drawing skills. For another examination, Jong Soo was asked to remove his shirt and lie down on a small bed which made Jong Soo get scared but Ken was always next to him to encourage him and help him.

“Jong Soo-ah…doing good…you are doing fine…smart you are…Appa is here with you...hi-five…” Ken keeps on encouraging Jong Soo during all tests to make him not get scared.

Eunji was looking at them with a smile on her face; last time, Jong Soo was scared for each and every test so she has to be with him and carry him always but this time as Ken is with him and encouraging him so she felt happy and relieved. ‘They doing good together’ she thought.

To observe his activities, Jong Soo was asked to play in the toy room with Eunji and Ken which Jong Soo accepted happily; he was asked to arrange the objects according to the size, color, and shape, as Ken and Eunji encourage him, he does all activities correctly. He felt that the hospital is not a bad and scary place as all the tests go smoothly and are fun. Finally, in the doctor’s room, the doctor asked Jong Soo a few questions to know his memory capability and answering skills. Those questions were related to his family like his parents' name, grandparents' name, his school name, friends' details, their house address, etc; in the end, he was asked to tell any stories he knew. Jong Soo told a bear story that Ken told him last time.

“Who told you this story, Jong Soo-ah?” The doctor asked.

“Appa told me,” Jong Soo said as he pointed at Ken who gave a proud smile.

“He is doing fine…a smart kid he is,” The doctor said to Ken and Eunji for which they got a wide smile, “He resembles his appa a lot,” the doctor said to Eunji pointing to Ken and Jong Soo, “Am I right, Jong Soo-ah?” the doctor asked Jong Soo who nodded his head with a shy smile.

“Teach him your phone numbers, address, make him repeat sentences as he is now capable of reading…make sure he sleeps for 10 hrs…teach him to take bath by himself…let him dress by himself…” The doctor gave a few instructions to Eunji.

“I dress myself, doctor. Appa taught me how to do…” Jong Soo interrupted the doctor.

“Oh good…what do eomma teach you?” the doctor asked.

“Eomma taught me how to eat by myself…ah…and also she sings for me every night,” Jong Soo said proudly.

“Eomma and Appa love you so much Jong Soo-ah…” The doctor said with a wide smile.

“Dae…nado…” he said and hugged Ken and got onto his lap.

“Oh…Jong Soo-ah is a good boy…” he smiled shyly at the doctor’s words. “So, ready for injection?” The doctor asked Jong Soo.

The moment he heard those words, his smile disappeared, and looked at Ken in shock. Ken then moved his eyes at Eunji who nodded her head with a smile at the doctor.

“Yah...we agreed for no injection,” Ken said to Eunji in a whisper as he got up from the chair with Jong Soo but Eunji grabbed his shoulder and didn't allow him to get up.

Jong Soo got watery eyes when he saw the nurse nearing them with an injection, “Appa” he murmured to Ken for help. Ken again tried to get up after looking at Jong Soo’s watery eyes but Eunji again stopped him from getting up; as she grabs Ken's shoulder in one hand and another hand, Eunji tries to remove Jong Soo's shirt sleeve with help of the nurse.

“Yah...wait...we need to talk...” Ken was trying to stop while Jong Soo looked at him for help with watery eyes. Eunji didn't listen to him and signaled the doctor to proceed. While the doctor injects the injection, Jong Soo hides his face in a crock of Ken's neck with a hissing sound and Ken grabs Eunji's hand with his eyes closed tightly. Both the doctor and the nurse giggled as they look at Ken and Jong Soo's faces. “They are similar to each other” the doctor said to Eunji after seeing their same expression. Ken opened his eyes and saw tears rolling down from Jong Soo's eyes, he felt bad for not being able to protect him.

Before the doctor could finish her instructions to Eunji, Ken got up from the chair with Jong Soo in his hand; “We are leaving” he said and walked out. Eunji gave an apology look to the doctor and informed them that she will call them if anything is needed, and ran to catch Jong Soo and Ken.

“Yah...wait” Eunji called Ken, “Still we have some paperwork,” she said.

“No...” He started loud and looked around, then reduced his voice “We are going, you tricked us…” He accused her.

“What did I do? After coming all this way, do you want to skip the injection?”

“Look he is suffering” Ken showed Jong Soo with watery eyes.

“It’s a small injection...” She turned to Jong Soo, “Aegi, soon the pain will go” she said.

“So you know it will be painful, still you did this to him,” Ken asked her in a demanding voice.

“It won't be very painful...” Eunji said in a low voice for which Ken gave a sharp stare and turned to Jong Soo to rub Jong Soo's hand where they injected him, “Jong Soo-ah, it will be fine...Appa will get you ice cream” he said.

“No ice cream...then his temperature will rise even more...” Eunji said in a panic, Ken's eyebrows furrowed, “He will get fever after the injection,” she said in a low voice again. Ken again gave a sharp look and walked out, Eunji tried to catch up. Ken knows that it is for Jong Soo's good but still seeing Jong Soo crying makes him sad - they are attached now and love each other so much.

Ken and Eunji visited the zoo and toy stores to make Jong Soo feel better and distract him, they returned to their home with Jong Soo who now got a slight fever which made Ken get worried.

“Let me carry him” Eunji tried to get Jong Soo from Ken as they walked to the elevator. But Ken didn’t listen to her and walked in front leaving her behind.

After the elevator door opened on the first floor, Ken noticed Eunji moved a step aside from him, and also he didn’t fail to notice that two ladies who entered the elevator were looking at them and then talking between themselves standing behind them. Ken also wondered why suddenly Eunji stopped nagging him to give Jong Soo to her and looked silent. When they got down on their floor, Ken heard two ladies laughing inside the elevator.

“Are they laughing at us?” Ken stopped his way and asked Eunji.

“No” Eunji shook her head and was about to walk but Ken stopped her.

“No, they are laughing at us” Eunji didn’t reply to him, “Are we looking funny?” Ken asked and checked his dress.

Eunji let out a sigh and shook her head, “It's not us” she said looking at him.

“Then?”

“Me,” she said in a low voice.

“Wae? What's wrong with you?” he asked and looked at her from head to toe. Eunji hesitated, “Then let me ask them,” Ken said and was about to walk to the elevator but Eunji stopped him.

“A woman who is said to be a widow now living with a guy under the same roof is…the reason for their laugh…” Eunji said with her head hung low.

Ken’s eyes went wide, “Did…Did they…misunderstand you?” he asked but she didn’t reply to him, “I will talk to them then…” Ken said and turned back but again Eunji stopped him.

“If it has to be explained then how many people will you explain?” Eunji asked. Ken’s eyes went wide again, understanding that Eunji must have seen a lot of people who accuse or talk bad about her in her life. “We should not listen to them…just ignore it…” she said and got Jong Soo from Ken and walked to their apartment. Ken stood there thinking about Eunji’s words; he understood that some people around her were cruel to her.

“Jong Soo-ah...” Ken walked into the room and sat next to Jong Soo who is now lying on the bed. “How is your fever now?” He touched his forehead. As soon as they came home, Eunji prepared hot soup and bread as dinner for Jong Soo and made him come to bed earlier after giving him medicine.

“It’s just a slight fever” Eunji replied in a low voice. Ken gave a sharp look; Eunji is being silent because Ken was upset with her for lying and also worried as Jong Soo is not feeling well.

“Appa, be with Jong Soo,” Jong Soo said to Ken with his half sleepy eyes due to the medicine.

“Dae, Appa will be with you,” Ken said and lay next to him on the bed. Eunji didn't say a word; she sat silently on the other side and placed a white wet cloth on Jong Soo's forehead. Ken looked at what she was doing, “This will reduce his body temperature” she said in a low voice.

“You know he will get a fever?” Ken asked in a cold tone. Eunji nodded her head, “Then also you did this?” He asked.

“It is for his good...vaccination is not bad” Ken gave a sharp stare at her; he wasn't able to see Jong Soo being dull, weak, and sick. Ken nowadays gets happy seeing the room filled with Jong Soo's laughter, noise, and his playing things. But today seeing Jong Soo being sick made Ken feel low, “Sing for him,” he said to Eunji.

Eunji started to sing Jong Soo's favorite song - Home on the Range by Frank Sinatra, a cowboy song.

O give me a home where the buffaloes roam

Where the deer and the antelope play

Where seldom is heard a discouraging word

And the skies are not cloudy all-day

Home, home on the range

Where the deer and the antelope play

Where seldom is heard a discouraging word

And the skies are not cloudy all day’

At the end of the song, Eunji saw Ken also sleeping with his hand around Jong Soo. She got a smile seeing them sleeping - Ken is sleeping on her bed and she doesn’t want to wake him up; she covered them with a blanket and closed her eyes without her knowledge as she saw them with a smile.

In the middle of the night, Ken woke up when he felt a cold sensation on his hand. It was Eunji who dropped the wet cloth on his hand by mistake while she was changing the cloth on Jong Soo's forehead. Eunji gave an apologetic look at Ken when he opened his eyes and got up to lean back on the headboard.

“How is he now?” Ken asked Eunji as he touched Jong Soo's forehead.

“Now his temperature is normal, he will be fine in the morning,” Eunji said as she wiped the water on Jong Soo's face.

There was a silence in the room, Ken was looking at Eunji, “Why do you look at him like that?” Ken asked her as Eunji was looking at Jong Soo with a smile - admiring Jong Soo.

“Its looks like yesterday I got him in my hands...but now my aegi soon going to turn six...” She let out a sigh and smiled. Ken gets a smile as he sees a happy smile on her face and knows what she is going to talk about now; it’s about Jong Soo's childhood.

“I still remember seeing him as a dot in the sonogram on my first day of check-up...” Eunji looked up at Ken with a smile, “Doctor showed me on the screen, he was so tiny...” Eunji showed him how small he was, Ken was smiling and imagining it, “When I heard his heartbeat for the first time...wow...I couldn't believe that he is inside me...growing inside me...” Ken, who never thought or heard about what a pregnant lady goes through as he remembers, was hearing Eunji with curiosity and imagining it as she talks.

“Before finding the gender of the baby…I already decided on the name”

“Really?” Ken asked curiously. “What name if it a girl baby?” he asked.

 

“Simple. Kim Soo Young, Halmeoni’s name”

 

“Oh…” Ken nodded his head, “What baby you preferred?” he asked.

 

“Babies are cute and pretty…so I never thought about gender but…somehow I got a wish to get a boy baby…resembling yo…I mean his appa” she said.

 

“If it is a girl baby also, it could be nice….just like you,” Ken said after a moment. ‘Aish…why did you say that to her?’ he immediately scolded himself. Eunji liked his words but quickly decided to stop the topic of girl baby as she was afraid that it may lead to any confusion.

“Don't know how...but when I sing the song at night, I can feel that he is dreaming inside me...” Ken leans back on the headboard comfortably and admires Eunji talking with excitement, “He was so responsive...Whenever I smell tangerine, and he gives me a happy kick...” She said in an excited tone.

“Dae...he likes tangerine...” Now Ken knows all about Jong Soo and his favorites.

“Dae...to meat also he will respond but not for carrots” Ken giggled as they both hate carrots.

“I don't know how soon those pregnancy days got completed... He never let me feel lonely…we were enjoying by ourselves” Eunji said as he caressed Jong Soo's hair. “I used to measure my belly size every week to know how much he has grown…it was this big” Eunji showed the size of her stomach.

“That big?” Ken exclaimed.

“Yeah...huh...when I was in my 39th week, my waist size was 41 inches.” She said as she again showed the size of her stomach in her hand.

“41 inches? Huh...that was big...” Ken exclaimed again.

“Yes...it’s big and heavy too...as he grows, I don't fit into any of my dresses…I couldn’t wear my T-shirts, I didn’t get into my jeans…in the end, I gave up on all those…” Eunji said in a disappointed tone, “So I got a lot of colorful gowns during that time…that is the best part in pregnancy dates...shopping for no reason” Eunji laughed and Ken was getting surprised for her each word, he thought she would tell it was hard, lonely; Ken after hearing from Soyou he knows Eunji had a hard time but now he is surprised to know that Eunji had gathered only happy memories.

“Should I give those gowns to Naeun-ah now?” Eunji's voice brought him back to his senses.

“What did you say?” He asked.

“Should I give Naeun-ah those gowns which I used?”

“Andwae...Taemin must have got for her by now...”

“By now?”

“Yeah...he was readi

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter