Chapter - 20

Come Back To Us
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Taemin came out of the shower and his shoulder went down in disappointment; his wife Naeun is doing her office work, her files and papers were spread on their bed; her eyes move from her laptop screen to file often, and her phone rings often. Looking at her, Taemin understands that he can’t spend the night with Naeun; it is the third day in the row that week that Naeun has brought her office work home.

It was always a rule in their home that no office work at home as they believed home is the place for them and their family. Most of the time they won't break it, only on rare occasions without any choice left Taemin break the rule but Naeun won't make it as big fuss, a quiet understanding wife. But it was not the case of Taemin, even though Taemin has no problem with Naeun going to work but that work shouldn't come between them, a possessive husband. The most hated thing for Taemin is Naeun doing her office work at home as it leads her to make him sleep on the couch; for the last two nights Taemin was sleeping on the couch - today also he is going to sleep on the couch.

“Still not yet finished with the project?” Taemin asked Naeun as he was looking at his mobile to avoid her seeing his annoyed face, which she would find out easily as soon as she saw him.

“Yes, Oppa...last-minute changes...deadline got changed... The client wants meetings... Lots of paperwork...” Naeun said as she goes through the files which she was working on.

“So it is full night work?” Taemin asked in a low voice.

“Dae Oppa...” Naeun said without moving her eyes from the file.

“Okay…I'm going to sleep...in the living room...” Taemin said in a low voice with disappointment as he grabbed his pillow. Naeun just nodded as she looked at the files which made Taemin get more disappointed, no hugs or kisses, she didn't even look at him.

With high disappointment, Taemin came to the living room and lay down on the couch. He felt uncomfortable on the couch; it was always his habit to wrap his arms around Naeun and snuggle close to her to get sleep but for the past two days he was sent out of their room. After clearing his mind he closed his eyes to get some sleep but opened it wide when a thought popped out in his head.

Taemin sat up immediately, ‘Only Naeun-ah is working all night? Does Suho Hyung give more work to Naeun-ah? If he does that, then I will break all his bones tonight.’ He said to himself and grabbed his mobile.

Ken took his mobile as soon as he heard a message tone; like Taemin, Ken also doesn't feel sleepy. ‘Is Eunji working all night?’ Taemin has sent a text message.

Ken, who doesn't close his door completely, saw Eunji working seriously on her laptop sitting on the couch, “Dae...she is working” he texted back.

‘Wae?’ Taemin asked next.

“She said some deadline got changed...so working for the past two days...” Ken replied.

As soon as Taemin saw Ken's message, he felt happy and relieved that it is not only Naeun working and he concluded that it is some project issue which they can't avoid so Taemin considered the reason and felt better and went to sleep hoping they finish their work soon and get back to normal.

Ken also doesn't feel sleepy; it is not Eunji working all night that is disturbing him - it is her change in behavior that makes him worry. Eunji became more worried and cautious about Jong Soo after that kidnap incident that happened the other night. Eunji requested Jong Soo's class teacher be more careful with Jong Soo and also warned him not to talk with any stranger, should not leave the campus until she comes to school to pick him up, etc. When Jong Soo said the idea of going to the nearby park with Ken to play, Eunji said no and asked them to play inside the house, how they can play football inside the house; she wants Jong Soo to be in her eyesight. Even now while doing her office work, Ken noticed Eunji often looks inside the room where Jong Soo is sleeping. This made Ken get worried for Eunji.

The next day Taemin came early to Ken's cabin to tell his worries about how he felt uncomfortable in sleeping on the couch, how he misses Naeun and even showed his frustration that why Suho is making her work this hard.

“Why are you here so early?” Ken asked Taemin who sat before him with his hands cupping his cheeks. “Why are...” Ken stopped when he noticed dark circles around Taemin's eyes, “Yeah...why do you look like this? Are you sick?” He asked.

“No Hyung...I didn't sleep...The couch is uncomfortable...” Taemin said.

“Why are you sleeping on the couch?”

“Naeun-ah is doing office work all night...so I was kicked out of the room...” Ken nodded his head in understanding, “Today morning also she left soon...How about Eunji?” Taemin asked.

“She also left soon...I came alone...”

“Why is Suho Hyung doing this?” Taemin started telling how he feels angry, frustrated. While Taemin was talking in anger and frustration, Ken was recollecting what happened in the morning. Eunji woke up Jong Soo early; even though he wanted to sleep for some more time, she didn't allow him. When Ken came out of his room, his eyes wide seeing Jong Soo had already got ready for school and Eunji was running inside the kitchen.

“I have to leave soon...breakfast is ready...order for lunch...I will drop Jong Soo...bye...” Eunji said everything at lightning speed and walked out before Ken could reply to her. He saw Jong Soo still looking sleepy and she was rushing him; Key felt bad for him.

‘Why can't she leave him to me? What's wrong with her?’ Ken thought as he saw them going out.

“Hyung...Hyung...” Taemin pushed Ken's hand to bring to his senses. “What are you thinking?” Taemin asked.

“What? What were you talking about?” Ken asked.

“I asked what you were thinking.”

“I was just thinking about Eunji”

“Eunji? Wae?” Taemin straightened up.

“Because she was so...” Ken stopped looking at Taemin and realized he made a promise to Eunji that he won't tell anybody about Jong Soo's kidnap incident.

“Eunji? What happened, Hyung?” Taemin asked with suspicious eyes.

Ken quickly managed himself and acted normal, “She was so stressed out of work...I offered to do kitchen work but she said no and does all the work by herself...” He said.

“Oh...” Taemin nodded his head.

“Okay leave now...do all the work I asked you to do,” Ken said as he wanted to be alone to think about a solution for Eunji’s change of behavior.

Taemin nodded as he leaned back to the chair showing no interest in going to work. “Hyung...” Taemin leans forward with a smile after a moment of silence. “You have been working here for four months, how was it?” He asked.

“Hmmm good...better working experience than my other office...” Ken said as he works on the laptop.

“Oh then about your friends...Me, Naeun-ah, Soyou Noona...Minho and Onew hyung...”

“Annoying...troublesome...” Taemin playfully hit Ken's hand and laughed.

“Then Jong Soo?”


“Jong Soo...I love him...Such an intelligent and good boy...he makes my place a happy place...”

 

“Then, what about Eunji?” Taemin asked slowly and looked for his reaction. This question was Taemin's true intention, that's why he asked about others.

 

“Eunji?” Ken murmured her name as he looked at Taemin. ‘What does he think about Eunji?’ Ken recollected Eunji's smiling face; he got a happy feeling inside him. He recollected how she struggled to call him, ‘Ki...Ken' Ken got a small smile. ‘I don't know what I think of her' Ken looked at Taemin who was looking at him curiously.

 

“Don't you have work? Go back to your cabin...” Ken made his face tough and said in a cold tone.

“Hyung...I just...”

 

“Go...I have work to do...” Ken said and turned to his laptop. With a disappointed face, Taemin left, but his question was still inside Ken's head.

 

That afternoon Ken came to Eunji's office as he couldn't get rid of Taemin's question from his head and also he was worried that Eunji could skip her meal if she is busy with work.

 

“What happened, Kibum-ah?” Eunji almost came running to Ken who was waiting for her in the reception. Eunji doesn't have to be cautious of calling him ‘Kibum' anymore because he has already allowed her to call him how she is comfortable with him.

 

“Huh...I was just passing by this way...so...” Ken said the same reason as last time when he visited Eunji for lunch.

 

“Oh...” Eunji nodded.

 

“So can we go for lunch together? It's almost lunchtime” Ken asked with hesitation.

 

Eunji looked at her wristwatch and shook her head at Ken. “I can't come,” she said in a low voice.

 

“Why? It's lunchtime” Ken said, showing the time on the wall clock - almost 2 PM.

 

“I have work to do...I will eat later...sorry”

 

“But...”

 

“I have to go now...” Eunji said in a low voice pointing upstairs. Ken nodded his head and he stood there watching Eunji running back upstairs.

 

“Again what, Kibum-ah?” Eunji again came down after a few minutes as she was again informed that Ken was waiting for her; this time she looked upset. When she was informed that Ken had come again and was waiting for her, she felt upset that it was disturbing her work and her teammates showed their frustration at her. “I have work. I can't come for lunch...I told you already” she said in an upset tone.

 

“I'm sorry...I just brought you lunch” Ken said in a low voice and showed her the lunch. Eunji bit her lower lip and felt guilty, “A piece of the sandwich is not enough for lunch” he said. She immediately hung her head low, felt guiltier, and realized that he even noticed that she packed the remaining pieces for her lunch after packing for Jong Soo. “I know you will skip your meals when you have work” Eunji looked at him, he got a smile on his face for her apology look, “So don’t skip your meal,” he said.

 

“I'm...I'm sorry...I was...” Eunji again hung head low.

 

“It's okay...” Ken said and smiled; he grabbed her hand and gave the lunch to her, “Work hard after eating your lunch” he said with a smile.

 

Eunji nodded with a small smile, “For you?” She asked, looking at him.

 

“I got one for me” he showed the other lunch.

 

“I’m sorry...I...” She doesn’t know what to say as it is all for the first time he does it for her.

 

Ken got a smile for her struggle, “Go...go back...” He said and waved at her when she looked back at him from the top of the stairs.

 

Ken's smile disappeared when Suho stood before him. “What are you doing here, Mr.Ken?” Suho asked in a cold tone. Ken can easily find out that Suho is not behaving politely like last time.

 

“I came to see Eunji” Ken replied in a cold tone. Ken recalls that Suho had few clashes with Kibum.

 

“Wae?”

“Should I tell you the reason?”

 

“Don't want...whatever the reason may be; now she can't come with you...” Suho said and gave a smirk which irritated Ken.

 

“Why is it that Eunji has a lot of work nowadays?” Ken asked with her eyebrows furrowed.

 

“Should I tell you the reason?” Suho mirrored Ken's words which made Ken get angry.

 

“Yes, I need the reason. I suspect you are doing it with purpose” Ken pointed at Suho.

 

“Why should I tell you the reason? Are you Kim Kibum?” Suho asked sarcastically.

 

Ken doesn't know how to reply to his question; even he doesn't know the answer and also wonders why he has this argument with Suho for Eunji.

 

“I want to know because I care for her” Ken replied as he didn't want to lose to Suho.

 

“Care for her?” Suho let out a laugh which irritated Ken, “Who are you to care for her? Husband?” He asked.

 

“It is not that only her husband can care for her...even a friend can care for her”

 

“Friend?” Suho chuckled, “A friend who is going back in less than two months” Suho let out a laugh. Ken's eyes widen in the realization that he has less than two months to go back. “Did you book your tickets, Mr.Ken?” Suho asked and gave a smile, Ken didn't talk back, “Book your tickets soon...because it's winter season soon” Suho said and walked back.

 

‘Winter season' those words ringed inside Ken’s head again, ‘Let's hold our wedding in winter, Ken' Nicole's words got remembered. Ken felt defeated before Suho and his marriage with Nicole got remembered.

“Eomma...” Jong Soo stood before Eunji that evening when she was working on her laptop. Eunji looked at him from head to toe, he was dressed up and holding a football which Hayoung gifted him; she looked confused.

“Aegi, why are you dressed up now?” Eunji asked in a worried tone.

“We are going to the park...will come back soon...” Ken said before Jong Soo could reply to her, he was also dressed up.

“No...I won't allow” Eunji said and shook her head slowly.

“Eomma...I finished all my homework assignments...let me go out to play with Appa” Jong Soo said.

“No aegi...be here...You watch TV or...play video games...play with commedes and gracons... No going out” Eunji said in a firm tone.

“Eunji...” Ken called out to her, she could feel the frustration in his voice, “How long can he be inside...we are just going to a nearby park...let him play outside for some time...will come back soon for dinner...” Ken said and tried to be calm.

“Let him play here...”

“How can he play football inside the house?” Ken asked in a frustrated tone, “We are going out to play” he said and grabbed Jong Soo's hand. “Come Jong Soo-ah... let's go...” Ken stopped his way when Eunji grabbed his hand. Ken looked at her while she freed Jong Soo's hand from his which made him get angry.

“He is not going anywhere,” Eunji said in a firm tone.

“Wae? He is coming with me, Eunji...Not with any stranger” Ken is angry but still tries to be calm.

“No...I'm not sending him out...” Eunji shook her head.

“Eunji...I can understand that you are scared of the incident...but you can't keep him inside always...he should go out to face the world...” Eunji shook her head, he got angry but tried to be calm as Jong Soo was watching them, “I will look after him...will be careful...” He said.

“I said I'M NOT SENDING HIM OUT...you are not going to be with him always...one day you will go back, all I have in my life is only him...so I CAN'T LOSE HIM...” Eunji shouted at him.

Eunji's words and anger made Ken get shocked and went silent. ‘One day you will go back,' is the same as Suho's words; Ken remembered again that his time is nearing to go back.

“Eomma...” Jong Soo's soft voice made them come back to their senses.

Eunji immediately felt guilty for shouting at Ken before Jong Soo who now got watery eyes. Jong Soo doesn't understand what they are talking about but all he can understand is they are having an argument, and also this is the first time he sees his eomma's anger.

Eunji after realizing what she had done, next looked at Ken who now came back to his senses immediately pulled Jong Soo close to him and turned away his face to avoid seeing Eunji's angry face. A tear rolled down from Eunji's eyes, quickly ran to the room and closed the door before Ken could react. In a guilty feeling, Eunji started crying and felt bad for her words.

Eunji doesn't know when she slept off; as these days she doesn’t get enough sleep, when she lay on the bed her eyes shut down for a rest automatically while she was crying. She quickly turned to bedside timepieces when she woke up from sleep; it's been an hour she was sleeping. With hesitation she opened the door slightly; she heard Ken and Jong Soo talking.

“Appa, can I open it?” Jong Soo asked, pointing to the white box.

“No Jong Soo-ah...the dish will turn cold, so when eomma comes out, let's open it...” Ken said as he was arranging the plates.

“Appa...commedes and gracons are more excited to eat...” Jong Soo said with a wide smile showing their puppies who were circling their table to know what they were going to eat.

“Andwae...go to your mat...not now...” Ken stopped them.

“Commedes... Gracons...wait till eomma...” Jong Soo turned back to the room, “Eomma...” He called out in an excited tone as soon as he saw Eunji who was looking at them. “Eomma...you got up...” He ran to her to hug her. As she was still feeling guilty, with a small smile she hugged him and looked at Ken who had a wide smile.

“You got up...we bought dinner... let's eat...” Ken said.

“Dae eomma... let's eat...come...” Jong Soo grabbed her hand and pulled her to the dining table.

Eunji was sitting silently while Jong Soo and Ken served food for each other as they talked about the food.

“Eat...” Ken hit his elbow on Eunji's elbow to bring back to senses. Eunji nodded, “It's all your favorite dishes,” Ken said but she didn't start eating, “Eomma, I will feed you,” Jong Soo said and took a piece of meat to feed her, “Eomma...ah...” He fed her with a wide smile.

“I'm sorry,” Eunji said in a low voice after swallowing the food.

Ken smiled, “It's okay, eat...” He said.

“I was scared...” Eunji said looking at Ken, “I thought I may lose him” she said.

“He is fine, Eunji...he will be fine...” Ken replied.

Tears rolled down from her eyes, she leaned on his shoulders and started crying again. Jong Soo's face turned sad as soon as he saw Eunji start crying again but Ken smiled and shook his head at him to say not to worry; Ken let Eunji cry so that she would feel better.

“Eunji...” Ken lifted her face; both looked at each other, “I promise you that I will look after him.” he said and smiled at her. Their faces were close to each other, she could see his sincerity in his eyes which made her smile and cry at the same time while Ken looked at her watery eyes, he felt a pinch in his heart, “Don't cry anymore...” He said in a soft voice. She nodded as a smile forms on her face.

Both jolted up when they heard a photo click; it was Jong Soo who clicked them on Eunji's mobile. Both quickly moved from each other and tried to be normal and calm. Ken felt his heartbeat fast and it fluttered; it was new to him, he wanted to smile wide but stopped himself.

“Eomma, did you finish crying?” Jong Soo asked jokingly.

“Eomma is crying baby, right Jong Soo-ah?” Ken joined him to tease Eunji.

“I didn't cry...” Eunji said in a hoarse voice.

“Then who made my shirt like this?” Ken asked Eunji pointing at the wet part on his shirt sleeve, “You spoiled my shirt?” Ken acted as if he was annoyed.

“Aish...You both made me cry...and now blaming me...” Eunji pointed at Jong Soo and Ken.

“Eomma...” Jong Soo called out in shock before Ken could reply, “Don't lie...” He shook his head, “Eomma told me lying is wrong...why do eomma tell lies?” Jong Soo asked.

“We were good...if we could have gone out, by now you could have finished your office work...”

“Aish...” Eunji interrupted Ken as soon as he said the word ‘office work’, she looked up at the wall clock, “I have a lot to do...” She was about to get up. But Ken grabbed her hand, “Finish eating then start your work” he said.

After dinner, Ken did all the other work and made Jong Soo sleep. He got a smile when he saw Eunji working in full concentration; greeted her for the night and he went back to sleep and also he asked her to go to sleep soon. Before Eunji could go to bed after midnight, she saw the photo which Jong Soo took on her mobile. “We were so close to each other” Eunji said to herself with a smile as she looks at the photo. She even had an argument inside her head about whether to delete the photo or not then in the end she chose not to delete the photo.

 

The

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter