Chapter 14

Everything Has Changed
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

The shift had been long. Rosé felt glad to feel the evening wind sweep through her hair, the sun had not yet disappeared over the horizon, meaning a few hours of daylight were left. The bliss was short-lived when she reached the bus stop, a heavy weight slowly dropping into her stomach. Suzy had been uncharacteristically quiet the past few weeks after the meeting.  The director informed her she lost her chance at getting promoted because of the complaint and her admitting to having feelings for one of her residents. And because of her refusal to reveal the resident's name, she put herself at the risk of affecting her career at the hospital.

Suzy's words had became less and she was either confined in her office at work or sleeping when she was home. Instead of driving home straight away, Rosé fished out her phone, and rang her best friend, Jisoo. She suddenly carved some humour, some happiness, something of which she had not seen or heard of the past few weeks.

A few rings and she could hear Jisoo's familiar voice through the earpiece.

" Hey Jisoo, how are you ? ''

'' Wow Chaeyoung, i was going to send out a search party for you ! Where have you been ? At least we used to see each other when we were housemates but now i can barely get a hold of you  .''

At that, Rosé smiled '' I've been busy with work ''

'' The house became lonely ever since you moved out. I no longer have a social life since my only best friend decided to replace me for her hot girlfriend.''

Rosé couldn't help but laugh '' I'm sorry about your non-existent social life Jisoo. What about going on a date with someone ? ''

" You mean like you being in a messy relationship with your ex-supervisor ? No thank you '' Jisoo sighed '' I'm sorry for saying that. I'm just angry about this whole thing. How are things holding up with you ? ''

Rosé looked at the road, taking in the rush of the traffic '' I'm fine.''

'' Sounds like you're not fine.''

Rosé could feel the tears stinging the corners of her eyes, she held the phone away from her, not wanting Jisoo to hear her low sounding sobs. She closed her eyes, wiping her nose with the sleeve of her jacket, '' I'm fine, really.''

'' How's she ?''

'' You can say her name, you know ? '' Rosé said, mildly annoyed.

'' I hate to say i told you so, but i told you so ! Suzy is your senior and she should know better. You don't have to blame yourself for what happened. I told you from the start, she was not the right person for you. I'm relieved your name was not mentioned in all this mess at least.''

'' How is that fair to her ? I also flirted with her while knowing the risk. There would be no complaint if i didn't initiate the kiss. Her career is jeopardized because me. I destroyed her well-earned life ''

Rosé could feel herself getting worked up as she thought of Suzy alone with her thoughts at home. A sweep of anger rode up her spine as she thought of the intern, angrily hoping he is rotting away somewhere.

Her thoughts frequently interrupted with worries for Suzy lately. She couldn't get through to her and it made her feel like a failure. Suzy pretended everything was fine, Rosé pretended along with her.

'' How is she taking your Johns Hopkins's offer ? ''

Rosé near enough sank back into the seat, wishing she could just melt inside it and avoid having to address anything remotely difficult in her life. These days everything felt complicated.

'' I've not accepted it yet.''

'' What ? Why not ? '' Jisoo exclaimed.

Rosé had been having serious doubts over what she was going to do. She had grown obsessed with

Please log in to read the full chapter