Chapter 12

Everything Has Changed
Please log in to read the full chapter

Don't forget to drop a comment and let me know what you think about this chapter :) 

 

Suzy stretched out against the pile of pillows Rosé pushed behind her back and shoulder and winced. Her eyes closed as she felt Rosé's hand on her face.

'' Are you in a lot of pain ? ''

'' Just a little.'' Actually her shoulder was on fire. She started her physio sessions three weeks ago but her shoulder wasn't having any of it. A persistent burning sensation started at the top of her clavicle and ended at her elbow. 

'' It's time for your medication, let me get it for you '' Rosé smiled as she kissed her cheek. She retreated into the kitchen to get Suzy's meds. She steadied herself against the kitchen counter while lining up the pill bottles. Her girlfriend could not sleep. She had originally waved it off without concern at the beginning, thinking that everyone had their occasional sleepless nights. But it had been the sixth night she woke up in the middle of the night to an empty bed only to find Suzy sitting on the sofa in the living room, panting for air as the excruciating pain shot through her arm. Suzy was working through alternatives methods of medicine with her physiotherapist to help try manage the pain. But times like this, nothing seemed to really help.

Suzy opened her eyes as Rosé reentered the bedroom.

'' Are you hungry ? '' Rosé asked. She watched her girlfriend down the pills and drink half the one water bottle before she shook her head.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rosé glanced at her phone again to see it was two in the morning. Suzy still haven't slept. Her patience was wearing thin, she was worried about her. 

The strong smell of booze assaulted her nose as soon as she walked towards the living room. She turned to the corner and found Suzy sitting on the floor in front of the balcony.

The rain was soothing. Suzy hadn't realised her breathing had been becoming increasingly erratic, for the next few minutes she focused on getting it in order. She directed her eyes to the sky. Although she was grateful for the darkness permitted by the night sky, the balcony's opened door left her completely exposed to the rain and she was soaked wet through. She was reliving the same nightmare again. The physiotherapy, the pain, the pills. She had to deal again with feeling useless. Opening a can, opening a beer, putting on clothes -even pants- suddenly became monumental tasks. She took a swallow of her wine, drinking it down in a resentful gulp.

Rosé could hear her shaky exhalation, and she knew her girlfriend was struggling not to cry. It was the silence, and the glimmer of tears in her eyes that cut through Rosé's heart. She approached her as she pried the bottle of wine out of her hands.

Suzy watched Rosé carefully place the bottle on the table and sit next to her on the now drenched floor- the rain still brutally cascading down. She held her hand, her fingers intertwining together with hers.

'' Do you want to talk about it ? ''

With difficulty Suzy turned her head '' Talk about what ? '' She managed to whisper.

Rosé pointed at the bottle of wine.

'' Not particularly, no.''

'' Suzy, the way you are now.'' She paused '' It's scaring me. It's been almost a month and you haven't slept properly, you are in pain and you're drinking when you're still recovering '' She sighed '' I don't know what to do. Just talk to me ! ''

'' And what is there to talk about ? ''

'' Suzy ! '' She responded in exasperation, '' Isn't that what we people do ? Talk things out ? Just talk to me.''

'' Chaeyoung, i'm sorry but i'm not a good company at the moment.''

'' Suzy ! You're not fine '' Frustrated, Rosé let out a heavy sigh '' And if you can't figure it out for yourself, then i'll have to ... for the both of us.'' She paused '' The drinking, the meds, the breakdowns, the lack of sleep, that is not someone who's fine.''

''

Please log in to read the full chapter