Sunsets

Fix You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 21: Sunsets (with another)

 

"I knew that when you decided to get this office, that we'll end up sleeping here somehow." Amber laughed, as the two of them laid down on the long conference table from opposite directions, their heads meeting in the middle.

 

"What? Drunk and stomachs full of pizza?" Yoona said hazily. After saying yes to a date with NCT's Johnny, she skipped the big YG after-party opting to hang out with her bestfriend instead.

 

So here they are, Yoona still in her black evening dress, a pizza box and bottles of beer scattered on the floor of the consulting firm office.

 

Amber thought about it. "Hmm, yeah, exactly." She sat up trying to stop the pounding on her head. "Hey, Sahi did a good job decorating. Maybe I should hire him for the speakeasy."

 

"I'll tell him to jack up his rates." Yoona laughed when Amber pulled her hair. 

 

"Hey, Yoong, sorry Kwon Jiyong turned out to be a jerk."

 

Yoona just closed her eyes and hummed. "It was a jerk move but I'm not convinced he's all that... jerk-y."

 

"He embarrassed you in front of CL and made you like a rebound when his favorite plaything was out of the country... And you still think he's not a complete jerk?"

 

Yoona shrugged. "I don't know... Anyway, whatever that whole thing was, it's over. I have about three months left with YG. I think I'm going to accept SM's offer afterwards."

 

"And a date with tall guy." Amber sighed dreamily. "Finally, my ship is sailing. Give the man a real chance, huh?"

 

Yoona didn't reply anymore. She really wanted to. And she really wanted to believe that Jiyong's actions don't bother her. She has a lot of questions but she thinks knowing the answer would not make any different. 

 

"I need to shower. He'll be here soon."

Two hours later, Cafe Sonder was bussing with early lunch customers. It was a thin crowd and so Amber immediately noticed when her bestfriend came in the front door.

 

"Un-ing-believable." Amber said in greeting, taking in Yoona's faded high-waisted jeans and floral-print cropped blouse. "How can you look like you slept like a baby when we were literally up for hours last night?"

 

Yoona laughed, putting on lip balm. "Hydrate, Ambs."

 

"When I hydrate, my face swells like stupid. And here you are looking perfect. I hate my life." She dramatically declared. 

 

"What are you talking about? You're pretty." Yoona complimented her back, giving her air kisses. 

 

"Whatever. I'm making you and tall guy coffee while you wait."

 

She went back early not wanting to make an idol like Johnny wait alone. Her manager instincts wanted to protect him from potential scandals this might make. 

 

As she's waiting for Amber to make the coffee, her phone rang and Jiyong's name showed up on her work phone. She bit the inside of her cheek as she decides whether to answer the call. 

 

It wasn't the first time he called in the morning. Her personal phone had three miscalls from him.

 

Since it was her work phone and Jiyong is still the artist she manages, she begrudgingly answered the call. "Yoboseyo?"

 

"You finally answered." He immediatey said, sighing a breath of relief.

 

"I arranged a car for Nana-ssi and the driver texted me a few minutes ago. They should be on the way there."

 

"That's not why I called."

 

"Then what?" She snapped, very annoyed at him. How dare he call her like last night's mess didn't happen? "It's my rest day and after a long freaking week, don't you think I need a break from you?"

 

Silence. 

 

There. It's not only you who can use his words as a weapon. 

 

"Right," he spoke after that pause. "It can wait until Monday. I'm--"

 

"Vanilla latte for my pretty bestfriend and americano for his tall, dark and handsome date!" Amber shouted from the counter. Yoona glared at her. She's pretty sure Amber meant it for Jiyong to hear that.

 

"I have to go now. We'll talk on Monday." She abruptly ended the call. 

 

 

Yoona sat on the shotgun seat opposite Johnny holding her vanilla latte and scratching it with her long nails. "You didn't have to come inside the cafe. I could've met you here in your car."

 

Johnny Suh walked inside the cafe a few minutes after Jiyong's call. Yoona felt relief that he was also wearing a simple shirt and jeans. They didn't talk about what they'd do so she was worried she wasn't dressed right for the date. He insisted on paying for their coffee which Amber waved off immediately. 

 

"You're taking out my bestfriend already. That's payment enough. Just have fun!" 

 

Yup. It was as weird as your parents sending you off on your first date. 

 

"I can already imagine my mom scolding me if I ever do that." Johnny said, chuckling. "Seatbelts on?"

 

She immediately pulled on the seatbelt and made sure it clicked securely. "Ready."

 

"Good." Oh gosh, I thought he'd say good girl. "Let's see..." He checked the rear view mirror, the side mirrors and his own seatbelt. Then he looked at her and slowly smiled. "You're pretty."

 

She blushed and sipped on her drink. "Y-ya! Stop it." He chuckled at her flushed expression and started the car. "Where are we going anyway?"

 

She was surprised to see the car earlier. It was very... ordinary. Unmarked. Unnoticeable. The interior looked expensive though and all windows were darkly tinted. It's an idol car alright.

 

"You'll see. I'll introduce you to--"

 

"--some new thangs? new thangs? new thangs?" She said before she can stop herself. She giggled and Johnny can't help but laugh with her.

 

"I was about to say my favorite places but hey! You finally know my group's songs!" He exclaimed. When he used to see her before in the cafe, he'd have to explain what NCT is. Not to mention that NCT's whole system is confusing enough for a KPOP fan, it was more confusing for Yoona to understand.  

 

Yoona shook her head. "That's about the extent of my knowledge! My brother would dance to it for one of his dance classes. He pulled me into one of his dance videos. So I learned the dance and the song was stuck in my head for weeks."

 

"You know the choreo for Kick It?" He had a happy gleam in his eyes when he glanced at her.

 

"Oh my gosh, why did I even tell you that?" She blushed even more. Did she really say that to Kick It's original performer? "Please don't make me dance to it."

 

"No, I'm just honored. I know you don't like much of the popular songs."

 

They continued their small talk as Johnny drives them to their destination. Yoona found it surprisingly easy to build rapport and talk with the NCT member. They'd already been friendly and talkative before when they used to see each other and she's happy that despite this being a first date, they are still comfortable with the other.

 

 

"Billiards? Are you kidding me?" Yoona looked around at the underground billiard bar. It was afternoon so the place was actually closed but it seemed like Johnny called in a favor. He led her to a private room where there's a billiard table, a couch and a high table with high chairs.

 

"It was either this or indoor rock climbing but I wasn't sure you'd enjoy sweating on our first..." His sentence faded.

 

She smiled reassuringly at him. "I'd love to try rock climbing! Let's do it next time." She walked passed him and looked at the bulletin board that has polaroid photos on it. She didn't see the small grin on his face when she said 'next time'. "You have lots of photos here."

 

"The boys and I like to hangout here a lot during our free time. Do you play?"

 

Yoona was faced with a dilemma. She could say yes. Yoona and Amber's college days would sometimes end on a billiard place like this. When Jaehyuk entered college, she and Amber would sometimes tag along with the four friends to play billiards with them. Not to mention the recreational rooms in YG's new building that she would frequent with CL where they'd play against the trainees or Mino and Yoon from WINNER.

 

Or she could say no and let him teach her. Amber did say give Johnny a real chance. She'd love to see how patient the man can be.

 

"Not really." She finally answered. "Teach me?"

 <

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter