Chapter 5

Deception
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

As agreed, you continued attending to Jina’s needs and she barely met your eyes. Taehyung and Jimin came by the packhouse more frequently to accompany the pregnant lady. You have been feeling empty these few days and both Taehyung and Jimin were still upset over the stunt you pulled at the first and probably the last dinner you shared with Jina. They were adamant to find out what made you blow up at the poor lady, but you gave them nothing which added on to their frustration.

 

You were giving cold shoulders to everyone.

 

“Jaein,” Yoongi called out while you were at the dining table, reading some medical papers that were sent by your professor in the US with a laptop in front of you to do research. He had asked you to review the papers and share your thoughts, and if the procedure were doable. After all, surgeries were all about trial and error, that was why the doctors rarely tell the patient that the success of the surgery was 100%.

 

Table deaths were common even though doctors followed the procedures step by step, so there were always reports and papers of completed surgeries and additional notes and procedures that could increase the surgery’s percentage of success by removing redundant procedures that waste time. After all, you were dealing with people’s lives, and they don’t have all the time in the world for you to waste.

 

Looking up from your paper, you looked at the pack's delta with a questioning look.

 

“What’s up?” He casually asked, sitting on the chair opposite you.

 

“The ceiling.” You replied as casually before you took a sip of your coffee.

 

He rolled his eyes at your sass and put his elbows on the table, leaning his back forward with his eyes narrowed. You continued staring at him, wondering what he wants and raised your brows when he sighed.

 

“They’re right, your eyes lost the spark that it once had.” He suddenly declared and it was your turn to roll your eyes at him. He was out of town to complete his pack duties so he only heard what was wrong with you through the grapevine. You never told anyone anything, so everyone simply assumed that something bad happened in the US that caused your change.

 

“Where’s Yoojung?” You asked for his mate, looking back down at your paper.

 

“At home, unpacking. I came here right away to give the Alpha my report.” He said, leaning against the backrest of the chair with his arms crossed.

 

“What do you think about your brother’s mate?” He asked and you straightened your back at the new information.

 

Gauging your reaction, Yoongi pursed his lips when he realized that it was news to you. He was going to get in trouble for letting the cat out of the bag unintentionally. You were his sister, so he expected you to be one of the few persons who would have already gotten the information, obviously, he was wrong.

 

The front door of the packhouse opened and you immediately knew who came in from their scents.

 

“Come here.” You simply called out to the newcomers when they were about to sit on the couch to play video games. Waiting for them to come into your view, Taehyung had his hands in his pockets while Jimin leaned against the wall at the entrance of the dining room with his arms crossed.

 

“I thought you didn’t want to talk to us,” Taehyung said but you ignored him.

 

“Did you guys know that Hoseok Oppa found his mate?” Their brows were raised in confusion simultaneously.

 

“You didn’t know?” Jimin asked in confusion.

 

Chuckling in disbelief, you shook your head in reply.

 

“He must have his reasons…” Yoongi said, attempting to mend the situation that he created which he knew was impossible, but it never hurts to try.

 

“Yeah, knowing him. He must be scared that I’ll drive his mate away. Everyone knows I’m a ticking bomb by now.” You said, slightly hurt by the fact that your brother kept something so important to you. Then again, even if he did tell you, you could only go green in envy at the fact that they could be together so easily.

 

The opening and closing of doors reached your ears and you knew that she came out of her room.

 

“Did you visit her?” You asked, referring to Jina. Yoongi nodded.

 

“Yeah, when I was making my way to the office. Jungkook was nowhere to be found though.”

 

“He’s either out training or running some Alpha errands, as usual.” You replied, focusing back as the task at hand.

 

“Jimin, Taehyung!” Her chirpy voice made you shudder in anger and you gripped the paper in your hand harder than necessary, causing it to crumple. Yoongi, Taehyung, and Jimin eyed your reaction.

 

Jimin turned his attention to the new presence and gave her a lazy wave while Taehyung narrowed his eyes at you in suspicion before pulling Jimin into one of the guest rooms. All the rooms were soundproof since the werewolves' senses were heightened.

 

“I’ve made a theory.” Taehyung started and Jimin blinked in response, waiting for his best friend to explain what he was talking about. “I need you to think with me, two brains are better than one.”

 

“Get on with it,” Jimin said.

 

“Okay, hear me out. Whenever we did a video call with Jaein in the US, she was always smiling and she had always been her usual happy-go-lucky self. There wasn’t a tinge of sadness in her eyes, tired, yes, but never depressed.” Taehyung said and Jimin nodded, agreeing to his words as he recalled their past conversations.

 

“But she might hide it.” Jimin thoughtfully said.

 

Taehyung shook his head, disagreeing.

 

“If she wants to hide it, she wouldn’t have shown it to us at all, even today. You know how she is, she hides her true emotions so well that she would bawl her eyes out once it becomes too overwhelming to bear and she couldn't keep it pent up anymore.”

 

Jimin sighed and massaged his temples, trying to figure his depressed best friend out was giving him a headache.

 

“Anyway, we can conclude that the trigger wasn’t in the US, and before the wedding, she was socializing with everyone happily, until the couple entered the wedding hall.” Taehyung snapped his fingers before saying, “She changed.”

 

“She disappeared and her attitude took a drastic turn,” Jimin added and Taehyung nodded and his eyes widened. They were finally figuring out what was wrong with you.

 

“Our wolves act on instincts, so human emotions don’t affect them. Do you remember that time she said that both she and her wolf were depressed?” Taehyung asked and Jimin nodded, knowing where this was going.

 

Taehyung continued when he knew that Jimin was on the same page. “The only way for our wolves to be depressed is when it has something to do with our mate.”

 

“Mate.” Both of them chorused the word as their eyes widened in realization.

 

“But who?” Taehyung frowned and Jimin had to slap him. He was smart enough to figure out the situation, but not enough to conclude?

 

“The only people she was being exceptionally mean to were Jungkook and Jina. Maybe that was why Jungkook was tryin

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter