Chapter 21

Deception
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It only took a day for Jungkook and his leaders to make adjustments to their existing plans after they saw the conversation that Rachel shared with one of the prisoners and it was put in motion the very next day. Jungkook and Jimin were going to the warehouse that was holding his mate captive and Taehyung would lead the group of five that were heading for where the rogue witch was.

 

On my signal. Jungkook said through his mind link. 

 

The warehouses were everywhere, so they appointed some warriors to be in charge of communication since Jungkook’s mind link could only go so far even though he was an Alpha. His wolf eyes were squinted into slits as he stared at the ran down warehouse, but nevertheless, the rogues’ stench was unmistaken. His teeth were bared and his wolf was out for blood.

 

How dare they took what is mine? 

 

As soon as his eyes saw the flashlight blinking from one of the bushes where one of his warriors that was on the lookout to make sure that the rogues in the warehouses were unguarded, he sent his signal. 

 

Attack. 

 

Dozens of wolves immediately leaped out of their hiding spots and Jungkook charged ahead into the warehouse, ripping fleshes that were in his way. He was trying to get a whiff of his mate’s scent so that he could go to her, but to his dismay, he couldn’t get any and the nasty rogue scent was the only thing he could smell. The unexpecting rogues took a while to realize what was happening and by the time they shifted into their wolves to defend their fort, they were already reduced to almost half of their numbers. 

 

Jungkook was effortlessly paving his own way but stopped immediately when he met eyes with a crying child who was hugging her teddy bear and didn’t look any older than three. The moment of shock gave his enemies the opportunity to pounce on him. He was thrown across the other end of the hallway with a thud but he was quick on his feet. Growling in anger, he charged towards the two wolves that attacked him and despite the fact that they put up a hard fight, with his skills in battle and the strength of an Alpha, he easily gained the upper hand in the brawl, but he incapacitated them. 

 

The child was crying out for her mother, so it didn’t take a genius to figure out that the female wolf was her mother and he wasn’t so heartless to kill a mother in front of her innocent child. 

 

He stopped in front of the child and didn’t move, waiting for the child to calm down. The girl slowly stopped crying when she realized that he wasn’t going to hurt her and gave a small sniffle. She looked up at him with teary eyes and attempted to reach out to touch his bloody snout but he moved away, not wanting to taint her hands with blood. 

 

He turned and opened the door with his paw, and tilted his head towards the door to tell the girl to go in so that she would be out of danger. The girl didn’t understand and just stood there, staring at him. He wanted to roll his eyes but he had no more time to waste and waiting for her to understand what he trying to tell her was just prolonging his goal to find his mate. He walked over to her and used his tail to guide her into the room since it was the only part of his that wasn’t filled with blood. The door remained wide open as he dragged the two unconscious wolves into the room with his mouth. 

 

Closing the door with his teeth, he began to sprint down the hallway. 

 

His ears perked when he heard panting and someone calling for help. Finally, the scent of his mate drifted to his nose and he pushed himself faster to the source of the voice. A woman was limping with bare minimum clothes and was walking with the support of the wall. She stopped and widened her eyes when she saw his huge wolf. He was growling when he smelled her rogue scent but she was immediately on her knees, which took him back and he stopped stalking towards her. 

 

“Please, if you’re the help that she’s referring to, you need to help. Her lips are blue and her pulse is barely there, please,” she begged and Jungkook’s heart dropped at her words. 

 

Please don’t let it be her. He prayed to the goddess but his feet got heavier as her scent got stronger. 

 

The door was wide open and there was an infant on the bed with his unconscious mate. She looked deathly pale and true to the rogue’s words, her lips were turning blue. He shifted and went to check her pulse and breathing. 

 

“Please, please, please,” he chanted over and over again, hoping that he wasn’t too late.

 

Tears clouded his vision and when he felt the pulse so faint that it was almost undetectable, he carried her and laid her on the floor to perform CPR, hoping that it would keep her heart beating. 

 

“Don’t die on me, please,” he begged with his hoarse voice. He was choking up with tears as he continued performing compressions on her chest. 

 

He did it long enough for some of his warriors to reach where he was. 

 

“Alpha, we’ve cleared the warehouse. The fighters are down and we have the women and kids. You can make your way to the pack hospital with the Luna.” The words of his warrior reached his ears and he stopped his compression, feeling her pulse again. 

 

It was still faint and he cursed, shifting into his wolf form, he mind-linked his pack member to help put his mate on his back. They used a rope, that they brought in case of emergencies like this, to secure Jaein on his back so that she wouldn’t fall off and injure herself further while their Alpha sprinted to the pack hospital. There were already doctors and nurses waiting at the door of the hospital by the time he reached and they quickly put their Luna on the gurney and rolled her in. 

 

Jungkook shifted back and wore the basketball shorts that one of his pack members threw to him. He ran after the doctors and nurses to make sure that his mate was alive but the moment he stepped into the ward, they were still trying to resuscitate her. He bit his lips and his heart was beating fast in panic, despite his anxiety, he was still rational enough to let them focus on their job. Shouting at them wouldn’t make anything better. 

 

“Come on Luna. You need to survive this,” one of the doctors said as he looked at the heart monitor that was showing a flatline while it emits a loud beep. 

 

“We’re going 400, charge, clear,” the doctor said and placed the two defibrillates paddles on her chest to shock her. 

 

“Continue with CPR, inject more concentrated warfarin, the wolfsbane has already started clotting her blood vessels,” The doctor called out and the nurse immediately followed his instruction while another doctor continued with CPR.

 

As soon as the heart monitor started to make a beeping sound when they shocked her once again, Jungkook nearly fell on his knees in relief. His mate is alive. 

 

“Alpha, we need to prepare her ward. Now that you’ve seen her alive, please leave the ward, we’ll call you once we’re done,” the doctor told Jungkook and he was about to demand that he stays until someone pulled him out of the room. He turned to scream at the culprit he was beaten into it.

 

“If you’re not going to let the doctors work, you’re going to compromise her life,” Jimin glared at his best friend and tightened his hold on the Alpha’s elbow.

 

Jungkook bit his lower lips and turned to see the doctors and nurses rushing through the small window on the door. 

 

“Come on. Taehyung has been trying to reach you but you blocked off everyone. But I’ll give you a run-through of what Taehyung was going to tell you while he’s making his way back. The infiltration was a success and the warriors have subdued the rogues that were not fighting them off, defenseless men, women, and children. I’ll be here with Jaein’s parents and will give you the updates, you need to be back at your office and handle all your Alpha duties,” Jimin continued.

 

He shifted his hold from the Alpha’s elbow to his shoulder, giving it a squeeze in an attempt to calm him down. 

 

“She was cold and felt dead when I held her. I can’t… leave.” 

 

His heart clenched and tears easily made blurred his vision again. 

 

“You can’t, but you must. The doctors are doing their job and fulfilling their duty to keep her alive, you should do yours to keep the pack together. Everyone must be scared right now, with a bunch of rogues being brought into the pack.” 

 

His best friend was right, he knew. But the thought of her taking her last breath when he wasn’t here was driving him crazy. He couldn’t bear to move another step away from his mate.

 

“Jungkook-ah,” Jimin sighed when he wasn’t moving.

 

“I know,” he snapped and stomped off. 

 

She’s going to live. She’s going to live. He continued convincing himself as he made his way to the packhouse. The quicker he settles his duty, the sooner he would get back to his mate.

 

He had to wait for a bit for everyone to assemble at the lawn in front of the packhouse, both prisoners and warriors. There were many who were injured, but fortunately, no deaths. Rachel and Taehyung made their way to Jungkook, who had his arms crossed and his eyes were piercing at the scene in front of him. Everyone had their hands tied with chains that were strong enough to not break under a werewolf’s strength, including the children. 

 

They were rogue prisoners. 

 

“The witch’s council had taken custody of the rogue witch,” Rachel said and he tensed at her words.

 

“She should be punished under the werewolf law as well since she was using our kind to do her bidding.” 

 

“You punish the werewolves that did her bidding, and we will punish her under the witch law. We do have laws just for situations like this, werewolves and witches are not to associate themselves with each other unless it is approved under both councils,” Rachel rebutted and Jungkook clenched his fist in anger.

 

“And what punishment will she be getting?” 

 

“She will be standing on trial just like any other criminals. You are well-versed with this, why are you asking?” Rachel was annoyed by the stupid questions being thrown at her. 

 

Jungkook released a low growl but didn’t question further before turning to Taehyung for his report. The latter, who was staring at the exchange, cleared his throat awkwardly. 

 

“The last batch of warriors is reaching soon. We found Lim Gayeon,” Taehyung breathed the last four words out, he was waiting for his Alpha to lash out but was surprised when he didn’t.

 

Jungkook raised his eyebrows when the head warrior stopped. 

 

“And where is she?” 

 

“Dead, I brought the body and head though.” Taehyung continued, pointing to a blanket that had blood seeping through the fabric. 

 

Jungkook cursed, he wanted to punish her himself. He massaged his temples and nodded, dismissing the both of them as he waited for the last squadron t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter