Chapter 23

Deception
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Are you done yet?” Rachel called out from the living room as you zipped your luggage.

 

You carried your luggage down from your bed and wheeled it to the door. Turning, you looked around the room that you have used for four years and released a sigh of relief. Your days were so busy that you barely kept track of time, and in a blink of an eye, you had finished your residency program and have chosen to specialize in gynecology, in other words, you specialize in the female body. 

 

With a smile, you said, “goodbye” to your room.

 

Closing the door behind you, you looked at Rachel who was waiting for you near the front door with her own luggage in hand. Like you, she was busy with her own witch training to become a full-fledged witch and had become one. It wasn’t a coincidence that you were staying with her. You decided to attend one of the trials for the rogue witch, which was her sister whose name you learned was Reannne, when you met her. She was leaving for England to finish her training and had a suitcase read, so you decided to tag along with her.

 

You left the pack with just a duffle bag, stuffing a few sets of clothes and your personal belongings. As expected, you weren’t allowed to leave the pack, even the Alpha, Jungkook’s father, disapproved of your request to leave. Not until your wolf was stable and he didn’t want to risk others getting hurt when your wolf had one of her violent episodes again. The only person that stood by you was Laura. She was the only one that supported your decision to leave the pack, while both Taehyung and Jimin were strongly against the idea. After you were discharged, you stayed in the packhouse with Jungkook and your wolf was quiet too since you didn’t say nor did anything to trigger her appearance.

 

After that day you lost control, you never shifted once. 

 

All you did was watch surgery videos so that you wouldn’t forget your skills since you were banned from working in the hospital. Everyone was watching you like a hawk, always ready to put you down if your wolf goes on a rampage, so in order to leave the pack successfully, you had to put them to sleep. The one and only day you cooked for everyone, including your guards on duty, was the day you escaped. Adding a strong sedative that you stole while you were still in the hospital, that sedative was your back-up plan in the event that nobody supported your idea. 

 

They weren’t the least bit suspicious when you told them that you were bored and had decided to take up cooking duty. The sedative worked quickly and they all fell asleep in the dining room while you went to pack your duffle bag, leaving a note that said you would come back after you figured yourself out. You knew that the pack was on a manhunt for you the moment they knew that you were missing, led by your mate. But you had a witch by your side, so it was easy to hide.

 

It wasn’t hard to persuade Rachel to let you follow her. Apparently, your presence would help cut costs, which was true since both of you paid for the apartment that you shared. 

 

The moment you finished your residency program, you had informed Rachel that it was time to go back. Your wolf had already calmed down significantly and had returned back to normal with the help of Rachel. She helped you bond with your wolf and soothed it. The only place that you shifted was in your apartment since the land you were living in belonged to a pack and you would catch the attention of the local werewolves if you leave the enchanted apartment, that hid both your wolf and yourself. You were considered a human here.

 

She had put an enchantment around you to hide your real nature so that you could live your life normally without needing to fear that you would be exposed. You wore contacts just in case your wolf decided to make its appearance whenever you were angered and the colors of your pupils would change into a darker shade.

 

“Passengers taking flight AG 750, please make your way to the departure gate,” the PA system in the airport sounded as both Rachel and you made your way to the gate.

 

“You’re going to be in trouble, you know that right?” Rachel casually asked and you laughed.

 

“I know, but I did write a note to say I’d go back. I just left temporarily. You don’t need to follow me, you know that right?” You returned the question and Rachel gave a small smile which made you squint your eyes in suspicion.

 

She was persistent in following you despite you telling her that it wasn’t needed. It seemed like she was following you with her own agenda in mind but you didn’t exactly press for answers, she would tell you if she wanted to, but you believed that it was time to tell you considering that both of you were already at the point of no turning back. 

 

“Is there something happening in the pack that requires your help?” You asked worriedly and she chuckled as she shook her head ‘no’. 

 

“I had a vision and there were voices telling me to go there. There was something for me to do there,” she answered.

 

Raising your eyebrows in curiosity, you tilted your head. 

 

“So it’s not an official visit?” 

 

“Yes, I’m following what the voices are telling me to do,” she replied.

 

Humming in response, you put your arm around her shoulder. She was still slightly shorter than you although she had grown taller through the years. She had warmed up to you as compared to the first time you met her, but she was still wary of strangers, so she would always hold a cold facade whenever she met them. In other words, she wasn't friendly to strangers but once she became close to you, you realized that she had a bright personality. It wasn't hard to please her and make her happy, and she wasn't the type to get angry easily. 

 

“Although you’re going for yourself, it still feels good to have someone with me,” you rubbed your head against hers and both of you laughed while she was pushing you away.

 

“Stop it, you’re messing my hair,” she said and fixed her hair while you fixed yours. 

 

You grinned at her and put your arm back around her shoulder. To be honest, you weren’t ready to face your pack yet. After you ran away, Jungkook was determined to track you down, and his name was even heard by the pack members of the land that you were staying in, so with Rachel beside you, it eased your nervousness, albeit by a bit. It was still helpful. 

 

Puffing your cheeks with air, you drew a long breath to calm yourself down as soon as the plane descended to the ground. Rachel noticed your uneasiness and held your hand which you responded with a grateful smile and you squeezed her hand. Honestly, you didn’t know what kind of reactions you were expecting, a big part of you were expecting anger. Silent treatment? Very likely. But it would pass with time.

 

You still wore his mark, so you knew that he wasn’t sleeping with anyone else while you were gone. It had been four years, could he have found a girlfriend while you were gone? It was a possibility and you couldn’t blame him. You left him without a word.

 

“Should I remove it now?” Rachel asked as soon as we were at the arrival hall. She was talking about the enchantment she had cast around you, hearing her question made your heart raced.

 

There was no turning back, you reminded yourself.

 

Taking in a deep breath, you nodded and she smiled. She closed her eyes and mumbled a spell before opening her eyes again which told you that the enchantment was lifted. 

 

“Let’s go,” she said and took your hand in hers, dragging you out of the airport. 

 

Both of you stopped in front of a car that you bought while you were in the UK, you were the one who bought it but it was under Rachel’s name since the pack would have recognized your name and reported the purchase to Jungkook, which was the last thing you wanted. 

 

“Rachel?” A man appeared and both of you turned to him.

 

From his scent, you knew that he was human

 

Rachel lifted her sunglasses up to her head and responded, “yes?” 

 

“I’m here to deliver your car keys, I believe my colleague had briefed you through the functions and the insurance policy that came with the car?” The man asked and Rachel nodded.

 

“Great, do you need me to show you the functions?” He asked and Rachel shook her head.

 

“We had a car like this back from where we were, so we’re fine. Thank you,” Rachel said and he nodded before turning to you and gave you a smile.

 

Your eyes met through your shades and you returned his smile with your own.

 

“Enjoy your new ride ladies,” he said and handed Rachel the car keys. 

 

Rachel thanked the man and put her sunglasses back down before turning to you.

 

“Guess this is our ride.” You grinned and Rachel hummed, handing you the car keys.

 

Both of you put your luggage in the trunk and you went to the driver’s seat while Rachel went to the passenger seat. The car smells like leather since it was new.

 

“You’re going to change the name to yours right?” Rachel asked and you shook your head as you pressed the button to switch the car on and pressed on the pedal to get the car moving. 

 

“I”m going to give this car to you.” 

 

Your words shocked Rachel and she turned to look at you with wide eyes, which you caught through the rearview mirror. A corner of your lips lifted at her reaction. 

 

“If you’re staying of course, it’s a thank you gift for helping me these past four years,” you explained.

 

“I told you that helping you helped me in training too, so yo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter