Chapter 3

Deception
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It has been almost a month since you returned, the days were the same for you. You would always end up at home, drunk out of your mind. One time, you decided to leave home and stayed at a hotel in town, but your brother found you and literally had to drag you back home in your drunken. Everyone was asking you what was wrong, but you weren’t saying anything. You just shut them out, you needed your head to be empty.

 

You knew that he didn’t say anything either. In fact, he wasn’t even around you and was mostly either in the packhouse or out helping out with his father's Alpha duties. But then again, your senses were dulled thanks to the alcohol, so you wouldn't sense his presence even if he came.

 

Drinking your last bottle of vodka from your stash of alcohol, you stood up from the floor and looked out of your window, enjoying the breeze as your mind was clouded. Not particularly thinking and feeling anything, the exact reason why you turned to alcohol for help. You tilted your head up and finished your vodka, throwing the empty bottle to the side after the last drop hit your tongue. Your throw was flimsy and weak, so it didn’t break, instead, it dropped with a soft thud.

 

With a dry chuckle, you looked up at the dark sky, cursing the goddess for pairing you with him. Guess your life was too uneventful that the goddess decided to turn it up a notch. Although your heartache wasn’t as bad after the alcohol entered your system, it was still there and tears swelled up in your eyes. You hated to admit it, but you missed him, despite him hurting you in the worse possible way.

 

“Jaein-ah.” Your mother called out as you poke on the meatballs on your plate, your head still hungover from last night’s drink.

 

Your parents and brother were walking on eggshells around you. They tried being tough, scolding, and screaming at you to wake up and fix your drinking habits but it didn’t get through. They attempted to ground you, but you were a werewolf. They can’t cage you in your own house since they would just end up with a broken window. So the next best option was to have either Taehyung or Jimin be with you while you were drinking your life away.

 

Humming in response, you didn’t bother looking up at her as you put a piece of spaghetti in your mouth.

 

“The alpha is offering you a job in the pack hospital.”

 

“When do I start?” You asked, willing to do anything to get your mind off him. Since leaving the pack and going rogue is out of your options, you were left to do anything possible within the pack.

 

Surprised at your question, you saw your mother shared a look of relief with your father from your peripheral view as you continued eating your spaghetti.

 

“Today. He wants to meet you as soon as you agree.”

 

“Okay.” Was your curt response.

 

They were worried about you. This wasn’t you. You weren’t sassy, and as optimistic anymore. Your eyes looked dead and you looked like you were breathing just for the sake of living. You looked… broken.

 

The walk to the packhouse was quiet. Your mother left for the packhouse first since she had to cater to his wife’s needs, while your father and brother were out training.

 

Opening the door to the packhouse, you saw something that could potentially make you lose control. Your heart clenched at the sight and you felt like you could break down any moment. He was sitting beside her on the couple couch, his hand on her baby bump and they were smiling sweetly to each other that it was sickening in your eyes. That was supposed to be you. Your presence definitely caught his attention and he raised his head to meet your eyes.

 

“Oh, Jaein!” Jina grinned and stood up. Jungkook followed soon after and looked at you, worry evident in his eyes.

 

Unfortunately, you couldn’t greet her with the same optimism.

 

With your head raised, you walked past both of them and headed up to the Alpha’s office. You knocked on the door and opened it when you heard his permission to enter.

 

“Alpha Jeon.” You greeted and bowed. He looked up from the papers he had in his hand and smiled before gesturing you to take a sit in front of him.

 

“So, I believe that your mother told you about my proposal for you to work at the pack hospital?” He asked and you nodded.

 

“Before we give you a formal position there, I need your help to set aside a time to cater to Jina’s needs.”

 

The moment his words left his mouth, your heart dropped. What kind of sick joke was this?

 

It wasn’t enough that that girl had your mate, but you had to take care of her too?

 

“Jaein?” The Alpha snapped you out of your reverie and you widened your eyes at him.

 

“I’m honored to have been offered such an important task of taking care of the future Luna, but I don’t think my expertise and experience are enough. There are other pack doctors that are most experience and would be up to the task.” You said, gently rejecting the offer although you wanted to scream in the Alpha's face and tell him that you were supposed to be the one beside Jungkook, not that girl.

 

Just the mere thought of being with her every day caused your nails to grow into claws.

 

“Oh, don’t be so humble. You graduated top of the class and your internship scores were impressive. Besides, Jungkook trusts you more than the other doctors.” The Alpha said and your ears perked at his name.

 

“Was he the one that gave you the suggestion?”

 

Anger coursed through your veins. Why was he doing this to you? You were perfectly fine, drinking your life away.

 

“Well, he did ask when you would be working at the pack hospital since it was already previously planned. But I’m the one who suggested you taking care of Jina. What do you think?” The Alpha asked with his elbows on the desk, looking at you eagerly.

 

He was expecting a positive reply.

 

“I…”

 

“Please, Jina is your age too, and you know how humans are vulnerable to werewolf pregnancies. Plus, she has as much sass as you.” He said and you wanted to laugh at his words.

 

He didn’t know about how you spent your days, drinking. He didn’t know how much you changed, for the worse. A dangerous thought crossed your mind.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter